• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,949 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,949

PreviousChapters Next
21. Book Club

Twilight took stock of the scene in front of her, her hands resting on her hips as she smiled proudly to herself.

Four blankets laid on the library floor, with three cushions sitting on top of them; in front of the cushions sat three old plates with a dozen cookies on each, all neatly compiled into orderly stacks of three different flavors, so that no one felt like they were getting less cookies than anyone else.

Three glasses of milk, not to mention a pitcher containing refills, also sat by the scene, and it was all tied together nicely by a small pile of books, mostly Daring Do but also some of Twilight’s favorites that she wanted to share, some that Spike had picked out, and a few recommendations for Rainbow Dash, who wanted to branch out.

And last but not least, sitting on the reception desk was a small pegasus colt, writing on a scroll with a very pronounced frown because he was just so tired of writing down checklists.

“I think that’s everything we need for tonight’s book club!” Twilight said with a huge smile. “What do you think, Spike? Think we’ll have a grand old time?”

“As long as I don’t have to take anymore notes,” Spike stuck his tongue out at his mom, who returned the gesture with a giggle and a playful roll of her eyes.

Twilight sat down on one of the blankets and gazed longingly at the plate of cookies in front of her. She really, really wanted to try just one, but she knew it would be very rude to start eating before everyone was present.

“Things sure have changed,” Twilight said idly, mostly just to distract herself from the cookies, “since Rainbow started coming to the library. Two weeks doesn’t seem like it should be much time, and yet everything can change in a heartbeat.”

After a moment of silence in which Twilight had expected Spike to reply, she looked over to see the young pegasus with a mouth full of several cookies, looking very guiltily at Twilight as soon as she locked eyes with him.

Spike let the cookies fall out of his mouth and his mother gave him a very unimpressed stare. She had half a mind to scold him, but instead she simply laughed.

“Wow, you’re right. Things really have changed,” Spike’s comment only made Twilight snort in her laughter.

“They really have,” Twilight said happily.

While the Golden Oaks Library was never completely without patronage, it was rare to see more than a dozen ponies within its walls in a given week. Thanks to donations and Twilight selling off some of her old trinkets she no longer wanted, she made enough money for her and her son to live off of, but just barely. But that was enough for Twilight.

At least until Rainbow Dash started coming, and soon enough Rainbow was telling every pony in Canterlot how ‘awesome’ the library was, and just like that, not a day went by when at least three or four ponies didn’t stop by the library to check out new books or return old ones, even donating some from their personal collections!

“I’ve even gotten pretty good at the art of small talk!” Twilight exclaimed proudly, finishing her train of thought out loud.

“Well, you were always good at book recommendations,” Spike said, “though I’m not sure a lecture about magic thermodynamics can really be qualified as ‘small talk’. Or ‘good’, for that matter.”

“Hey!” Twilight said indignantly, puffing up her flushing cheeks. “That Sea Swirl pony was really interested in my lectu—er, I mean small talk!”

“Right,” Spike rolled his eyes with a mischievous smirk, “and what about Roseluck? Or her sisters? Or Spring Showers? Or Amethyst Star?”

“Alright, I get it,” Twilight crossed her arms and tried to pretend she wasn’t bothered by the heat in her cheeks. “So maybe I need my small talk to be a bit—”

“Smaller?” Spike finished his mother’s sentence for her with another self-satisfied grin. Twilight looked at him with vague annoyance, which only made his grin wider, before she playfully ruffled his mane.

Twilight couldn’t help herself and decided just one bite of a cookie wouldn’t hurt, and four cookies later she decided she had been wrong. She looked over at Spike, expecting him to be happily chowing down on his cookies, but again her expectations were subverted when she saw him simply staring down and off into space.

“Spike?” Twilight asked, a twinge of apprehension in her voice. “Is something wrong?”

“Twilight?” was all he replied with, looking up at Twilight with eyes that sparkled with unshed tears.

“Yes?” Twilight scooched closer, and so too did Spike, leaning against his mother as she put her arm around him.

“Are we gonna leave again?” Spike looked up at Twilight and his tears could no long be called ‘unshed’.

“No,” Twilight replied firmly and quickly. “Not this time.”

Twilight had no idea if that was a promise she could keep. But she couldn’t ruin the hope of her son, not again. She couldn’t darken the days spent with Rainbow Dash, or talking to the other library patrons, or their book club, with fears and doubts.

And she resolved to make sure that she did keep that promise. That somehow, she would find a way to give Spike the peaceful life he deserved, and not run from their new home with her tail between her legs as she had done too many times before.

This time would be different. This time had to be different. For his sake.

Twilight’s troubled thoughts were interrupted by the creak of the library door, and Spike nearly jumped up to the ceiling as Rainbow Dash walked into the lobby.

“Rainbow!” Spike called as he ran toward her, his arms open wide.

“Heya, squirt!” Rainbow said teasingly, grabbing the younger pegasus in a hug before lifting him into the air and spinning around, much to the giggly pleasure of Spike, a gesture which made Twilight’s heart sing. Rainbow put Spike down and flashed a grin at Twilight, and she in turn gave Rainbow a soft and welcoming smile.

“Welcome back to the library, Rainbow Dash,” she said, in awe of just how happy she was to see her one Equestrian friend.

When Twilight first came to Canterlot, she was terrified of other people, and she still remembered the fear that gripped her heart the first time Rainbow entered the library on that stormy night.

But now that fear almost seemed silly; Rainbow wasn’t just some pony or a terrifying Slayer, she was Twilight’s friend, and knowing her made Twilight’s life a little brighter and she was just so happy to meet her.

Of course, Rainbow being a trans gal like Twilight definitely didn’t hurt either. Twilight had never really been friends with another trans woman, and it was nice to finally meet someone Twilight could connect with that understood where she was coming from with all the gender crap.

“You punks ready for book club!?” Rainbow cheered as she and Spike headed over to the blankets and pillows splayed across the floor, eliciting a cheer of confirmation from Spike as he followed her.

“Glad you could join us,” Twilight said with a grin of her own as Rainbow sat down.

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Rainbow replied, running her hand through her short mane.

“Glad to hear that,” Twilight chuckled, “because you’re our only other member! It’d be a bit lonely without you!”

“Yeah!” Spike added, his mouth absolutely full to bursting with cookies, spraying crumbs everywhere as he opened it.

“Funny you bring that up,” Rainbow smirked mischievously, which made Twilight slightly wary as she arched an eyebrow at her.

“How so?” Twilight asked.

“I was thinking about how I haven’t had any luck getting my friends to visit the library—”

“Just every other pony in Canterlot, that’s all,” Spike interrupted, getting a small chuckle out of Twilight and a playful eye roll and hair ruffle from Rainbow.

“Point is,” Rainbow smiled ear to ear, “I thought of the next best thing!” Twilight absentmindedly took a sip of her milk as Rainbow talked, not wanting the drink to get warm just sitting there. “Instead of getting my friends to come here, you should come with me outside the library!”

And at that, the milk came spurting out of Twilight’s mouth and all over Rainbow’s face, Rainbow just staring with wide eyes, mouth agape, as Twilight bashfully wiped her mouth with a blanket.

“Maybe we should focus on one step at a time,” Spike helpfully suggested, his comment filling the library with the echoing laughter of three good friends who were simply happy to have found each other.

Author's Note:

in which i finally establish that rainbow and twilight are trans (lmao rip to my like\dislike ratio)

tbh the only reason i didn't establish that much earlier is that i honestly just forgot that it was something i had to establish, that not everyone sees them as trans by default like i do (and by "them" i mean all of the mane six, i'll establish that they're all trans in-story a bit later). oh well, better late than never!

and of course, if u have problems with trans folks or with the girls being trans in this story, u can see urself out

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next