• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,946 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,946

PreviousChapters Next
83. Celestia's Limit

Celestia cursed under her breath as she stood on the dock of Baltimare’s harbor and watched a dragon flee across the ocean where she could not follow. Rarity, for one, was at least glad for the reprieve, and to have Coloratura treating her injuries.

“We can’t let it flee,” Celestia said firmly. “We can’t let it live after what it’s done here.”

“I agree, my Queen,” Tempest responded eagerly. “Please, allow me to lead the strike team to chase it down.”

“Wait,” Rainbow chimed in agitatedly, “Celestia, why can’t you just teleport over to it and strike it down right now?”

“If I thought that I could end it in a single blow, I might do just that,” Celestia responded, and Rarity admired her patience for explaining what Rarity felt was obvious, “but that dragon still has quite a bit of fight left in it, and I know that it only tried to flee because it knew it could reach Equestria’s border.”

“So?” Rainbow shrugged. “We just chase it down and beat it up, right?”

“If only it were that simple,” Celestia gave a beleaguered sigh.

“Celestia can’t leave Equestria, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity explained.

“Wait, seriously?” Rainbow asked, baffled.

“Yes,” Celestia said. “If I were to cross the border out of Equestria, I would be leaving this country vulnerable. The magic that I cast to protect it would disappear if I left it behind, and it would take too many days to recast it. So I cannot leave.”

“And unfortunately,” Spitfire groaned and cricked her neck, “that’s pretty common knowledge, so that dragon probably attacked a border town for that exact reason.”

“I believe so, yes,” Celestia said, though there was a slight devilish smirk on her face. “Though it didn’t count on the rest of this squad to be as powerful as it is.”

“So we are chasing it down!” Rainbow grinned, and Rarity admired how well Rainbow was able to stow her fear in order to focus on what needed to be done. “Then let’s get going!”

“No, Rainbow Dash,” Celestia said, “we are not going to be chasing it. You and I will stay behind, to tend to the citizens of Baltimare, while the rest of the squad chases the dragon down and executes it.” Celestia smiled at Rarity. “And Rarity will lead them.”

“What?!” Rarity and Tempest balked in unison.

“My Queen,” Tempest fumed, “with all due respe—”

“Tempest, I don’t want to hear it,” Celestia said coldly, shutting Tempest’s protest down. “I chose Rarity to lead because she understands the importance of co-operation and harmony, and knows all of your skills and abilities by heart, isn’t that right, Rarity?”

“Um, yes, it is, Queen Celestia,” Rarity was nervous about being put on the spot, but Celestia wasn’t wrong. After all, she never was.

“Tempest, you will follow Rarity’s orders as if they were coming from me,” Celestia scolded, “and you will put aside your little rivalry with her in order to focus on what’s important, am I correct?”

“Yes, my Queen,” Tempest said firmly, masking her embarrassment at being chided with an icy glower.

“Celestia,” Rarity stood to her hooves, trembling as they were, and tried to look Celestia in the eye, “are you certain about this? Wouldn’t Spitfire be a better choice for leader?”

“I’m with the Queen on this one,” Spitfire said. “If she trusts you to be the leader, I’m not gonna question her.”

Rarity bit her lip. That wasn’t the answer she was hoping for. Of course Rarity was happy to be commended by Celestia, but this whole night it had been hard to keep her mind from wandering to the last time she encountered a dragon, and the disaster that she caused that night.

“Rarity,” Celestia put her hands on Rarity’s shoulders. “I have no doubt that you will be an excellent leader, and that you will help bring your team to victory and slay the beast who attacked this place. You can do it, can’t you? For Baltimare? For Equestria?” Celestia smiled and got on one knee, looking Rarity in the eye. “For me?”

“Of course,” Rarity replied, and the words came out of her mouth effortlessly. Yes, she was worried. Yes, she was scared. But the people of Baltimare were having the worst nights of their lives, and she had no intention of returning to them with anything less than stellar news.

Rarity turned to Coloratura and Spitfire, flashing a dazzling smile at them.

“Are you both ready to slay a dragon?” she asked excitedly, pumping her fist.

“Hell yeah!” Spitfire cheered.

“Lead the way, Lady Rarity!” Coloratura added with a salute.

“Tempest?” Rarity asked hesitantly.

“I’ll follow your orders,” Tempest replied coldly, “as if they were Celestia’s.”

“Have you got this, Rarity?” Rainbow asked, needling Rarity with her elbow.

“Oh darling,” Rarity scoffed and flicked her mane, “have a little faith in me!”

“’course I have faith in you, Rarity!” Rainbow balked, giving Rarity a friendly shove.

“We all do,” Celestia added.

And with that, Rarity led her team to the dock and boarded a ship, ready to chase the dragon back to its cave and begin the execution.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next