• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,945 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,945

PreviousChapters Next
24. Good Luck

It was just before eight o’clock as Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle and Spike wrapped up their book club, and while Spike picked up the books and bedding, Rainbow and Twilight Sparkle stood at the door of the library, Rainbow pacing back and forth and Twilight simply watching her patiently.

Book club wrapped up right around the time the Applepie Smithery closed up shop for the night. Rainbow couldn’t remember if that was her idea or Twilight’s, but either way, it was no coincidence.

“So,” Twilight cleared her throat, “are you going to go?”

Rainbow shrugged and continued pacing.

Twilight hummed thoughtfully, and Rainbow stopped her pacing for a sec to look at her, feeling somewhat overwhelmed that Twilight looked so deep in thought for her sake. It meant a lot to her that Twilight was so invested in helping Rainbow over her stupid stumbling block, and Rainbow wished she had the ability—or the nerve, at least—to thank her.

“I have an idea!” Twilight said suddenly, eyes sparkling with pride.

“Yeah?” Rainbow flicked her fingers and leaned back against the library door. “Let’s hear it.”

“So, your issue is that you get really nervous and flustered around Applejack, right?” Twilight’s words brought a pronounced red tint to Rainbow’s cheeks, and instead of answering Twilight’s question, she just rubbed the back of her neck and glanced away—which, of course, was more than enough answer for Twilight. “But doesn’t Applejack have a partner? Pinkie Pie, if I’m remembering correctly? Why not ask her out?”

“Uhhh, cuz I don’t wanna date her?” Rainbow looked at Twilight with utter confusion, crossing her arms. “Like, I don’t really know her that well, and she seems nice enough, but like—” Rainbow felt that familiar heat sting her cheeks and oh how she wanted to just be suddenly struck by lightning. “She’s not Applejack.”

“I know,” Twilight chuckled, “that’s not what I meant. I’m not saying you should date Pinkie Pie—I am getting that name correct, aren’t I?” after a nod from Rainbow, Twilight continued, “I’m saying you should ask her out for drinks.”

After waiting a moment for Rainbow to reply, in which Rainbow only stared with ever mounting confusion at her friend’s ‘helpful’ suggestions, Twilight went on;

“You enjoy meeting new people, right?”

“Heck yeah I do!” Rainbow exclaimed, pushing herself off the door with her wings and pumping her fists. “It’s exciting! I love talking to ponies and hearing all their cool stories and stuff, and telling ‘em cool stories about me, which I have a whole lot of!”

“Exactly,” Twilight giggled. “So what I’m suggesting, is that maybe if you can focus on Pinkie Pie instead of Applejack, you’ll feel less nervous around her.”

The wires were almost connected in Rainbow’s head, and after one more helpless glance shot at Twilight, the librarian sighed and explained herself once more.

“I’m saying, ask Pinkie Pie out for drinks, but say something to the effect of ‘do you and your partner want to go out for drinks’? That way, you have Applejack out with you, but you don’t have to feel nervous because you’ll have something else to focus on: Pinkie Pie! Kind of like how you listen to music and read at the same time.”

“Oh, so you’re saying to distract the noisy part of my brain that tells me how stupid I am,” Rainbow said, “by chatting it up with Pinkie Pie, but Applejack’ll still be there so I’ll get a chance to talk to her too!”

“Exactly!” Twilight said with a bright smile. “And plus, I’m sure Pinkie Pie is a great lady, so you’ll probably make a new friend too, and get in Applejack’s good graces by being friends with her partner! Everybody wins!”

“Twilight, that’s genius!” Rainbow had half a mind to hug Twilight, and she almost went for it but decided on a friendly clap against her arm instead.

“That said,” Twilight cleared her throat and talked sternly for a sec, “it’s really important that you don’t just treat Pinkie Pie like a stepping stone to get to Applejack.”

“I would never do that,” Rainbow said coldly, disgusted by even the suggestion.

“Then it sounds like you have nothing to worry about!” Twilight grinned.

“Alright! Then I’m gonna do it!” Rainbow clapped her hands and turned around toward the door, reaching for the doorknob and almost putting her hand atop it before freezing.

“Rainbow?”

“What if—” Rainbow’s words were quiet and ragged, like they were being choked out by a woman on her deathbed. “What if, after I do this, Applejack doesn’t like me? What if Pinkie doesn’t like me? What if they think I’m—”

A gurgling noise came from Rainbow’s throat as she forced herself to suffocate those thoughts, but she couldn’t quite put them out of her mind and now the temperature of the room was rising. She felt sweat dripping down her brow and clinging to her hands, until a warm hand placed itself over hers.

“They will like you, Rainbow,” Twilight said softly in Rainbow’s ear. Rainbow took a step away from Twilight and looked up at her, Twilight’s soft hand still gently grasping Rainbow’s. “You’re the coolest, smartest pony I know—”

“How many ponies do you—”

“That’s not my point,” Twilight cut Rainbow’s snide remark off with a boop to her nose, which made Rainbow chuckle. “They’d have to be crazy not to like you.” Twilight let out a soft chuckle and smiled teasingly. “Honestly, it’s almost rude of you to have deprived them of such a cool pony for this long!”

Rainbow snickered at that and placed her hand over Twilight’s.

“Thank you, Twilight.”

“I mean it, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “I believe in you.”

Rainbow took a deep breath, then she went in for that hug, which was happily reciprocated by Twilight. Rainbow clapped Twilight on the back twice before releasing her, and swung the door open, quickly jumping outside.

“Make sure to tell me all about it,” Twilight said cheerfully. “And good luck!”

Rainbow paused for a sec before flashing a brilliant smile at Twilight.

“Won’t need it!”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

PreviousChapters Next