• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,946 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,946

PreviousChapters Next
18. Safe Inside the Library

Seven fifty-three.

Twilight watched helplessly as Rainbow Dash stared out the window of the library, a thumbnail bit between her teeth.

Rainbow had been at the library for nearly seven hours, and in that time Twilight swore she knew more about Applejack the blacksmith than she knew about herself. Rainbow Dash talked about her like she rose the sun every morning, and Twilight found it absolutely adorable how infatuated Rainbow was.

At least until the clock struck seven fifty, and Rainbow said that she had to leave. And then didn’t.

Seven fifty-four.

Twilight couldn’t take the silence anymore, and she approached Rainbow Dash and gently put a hand on the trembling pegasus’ shoulder, which only made Rainbow jump and brush Twilight off in surprise.

“Sorry,” Rainbow said sheepishly as she turned to Twilight. “I’m a little jumpy, I guess.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Twilight could tell the last thing Rainbow wanted to do was talk about it, but Twilight just didn’t know what else to say.

“Rainbow Dash?” Spike said curiously, walking out of the makeshift kitchen in the back of the library with a bowl of ice cream in hand. “You’re still here? I thought you were going to go see Applejack.”

Twilight groaned under her breath at Spike’s unfortunate timing and lack of tact, but the sound was completely swallowed by the loud BANG as Rainbow Dash’s forehead hit the side of the bookcase in front of her.

“I should go,” Rainbow said, for about the fifth time in as many minutes. “I need to go, I promised I would.”

Seven fifty-five.

“Rainbow?” Twilight’s perfectly calm and clear voice demanded Rainbow Dash’s attention, and the pegasus looked at Twilight with a desperate frown. “I say this as your friend, and am asking in complete honesty: why haven’t you left yet?”

Rainbow recoiled from the question, as Twilight was afraid that she would, but Rainbow’s expression quickly softened, only to just as quickly turn into a snarl of frustration, gritted teeth bared as she clenched her fists so hard Twilight was worried she would bleed on the library floor.

“I don’t—” Rainbow started breathing heavily, a look of pure panic settling into her eyes.

“Tell me what’s wrong,” Twilight said softly, gently touching Rainbow’s hand.

Her eyes darted over to Spike, who was sitting on the other side of the room now, eating his ice cream while his legs dangled off the reception desk. Twilight breathed a sigh of relief that he understood the delicateness of this situation and stayed out of it.

“I’m gonna screw everything up,” Rainbow said quickly. “It’s just me and her, all alone, and I know I’m gonna screw everything up. I don’t want to screw everything up!”

“Hey, hey,” Twilight slowly caressed the back of Rainbow’s hand, “it’s okay. You’re not going to screw anything u—”

“Yes I am!” Rainbow yelled, yanking her hand away from Twilight and slapping her palm against a bookcase, wincing from the pain of it. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about—”

“I’m sorry,” Rainbow repeated, and Twilight suddenly realized Rainbow wasn’t talking about the bookcase, or even to Twilight at all.

Twilight took in a deep breath and squeezed Rainbow’s hand, letting her friend know that she was still there for her, even if Rainbow was lost in her thoughts.

“I can’t go,” Rainbow shook her head. “I just can’t—I can’t go. I can’t go.”

“It’s okay,” Twilight took Rainbow’s other hand, rubbing her thumb against the crease between Rainbow’s thumb and index finger. “You don’t have to go if—” was there any way Twilight could finish that sentence that wouldn’t make Rainbow’s panic worse?

“You’re safe inside the library.”

“Then can I stay in the library?” Rainbow backed off and turned away from Twilight, rubbing her arms and shivering. A loud sniff clued Twilight in to why Rainbow turned her face away, and Twilight turned to Spike, gesturing for him to go back in the kitchen and fetch two more ice creams.

“You’re welcome to stay as long as you like.”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next