• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,949 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,949

PreviousChapters Next
186. Snack Break

The mood of Twilight’s little impromptu slumber party was primarily one of excitement. Twilight, Applejack, and Spike hadn’t gotten a chance to really hang out just the three of them, at least outside of Spike’s combat training, so it was nice to be able to just chill out and have fun with each other.

That mood was immediately shattered like a stone hurtling through an icy sheet over a frozen pond when Twilight walked back into the inn room with Trixie in tow.

“Umm,” Applejack clicked her tongue, Spike shuffling on the floor to hide behind her, “you got somethin’ you wanna tell us, Twi?”

“Yeah,” Twilight awkwardly held her hands out to introduce Trixie, who looked as unimpressed and unenthused to be there as the others were to have her there. “This is Trixie! We studied magic together back in the Dragon Lands, and we’re— I— I want to ummm—”

“Twilight wants this D,” Trixie said, pointing down at herself and utterly humiliating a now beet red Twilight. “She’s desperate for it. SO thirsty.”

“TRIXIE!” Twilight screeched, throwing her hands down. “Don’t say shit like that in front of my son! Especially since it’s not true! I’m not interested in you like th—”

“Yeah, Trixie,” Applejack chuckled and stood up, walking toward Trixie who was maybe half of Applejack’s height. “Why would Twilight be thirsty for you, when she’s got way better options?”

“Okay, could we not do this? Please?” Twilight said desperately, her whole face turning red and she felt like she was in a volcoven… which is like an oven volcano… yeah.

Applejack shrugged and moved to sit on one of the beds, but if looks could kill she would’ve murdered Trixie, who for her part just scoffed and crossed her arms, looking at Applejack and at Spike— who scurried up the bed to hide behind Applejack— with complete contempt.

Twilight was starting to think this may have been a horrible idea.

“Trixie, you promised to be on your best behavior,” Twilight said, shooting Trixie a look that was going for ‘stern yet compassionate’ but probably just came off more as ‘desperate’. “And you two, can we please give her a chance? Just one chance?”

“She’s already had two chances far as I’m concerned,” Applejack spat.

“Yeah!” Spike added, shaking his little fist. “She’s the one who burned down the library! Why should we give her anything?!”

“Well, Twilight?” Trixie said flatly, one hand on her hip and the other lazily dangling at her side as she looked over to Twilight with an unimpressed arched eyebrow.

“Because I want to,” Twilight said sternly, even as her legs were shaking. “I want Trixie to have another chance, and quite frankly I don’t care what bad things she’s done in the past. Nothing is so awful that we can’t make up for it going forward.”

“Yer a sweetheart, Twi,” Applejack sighed and rubbed the back of her neck. “I can’t argue with that.”

“I can,” Spike huffed. “But I won’t, cuz I love Twilight. And if she wants to give Trixie another chance, then I guess it’s fine.”

“Wow, y’all rolled over just like that huh?” Trixie laughed into her hand, evoking angered stares from everyone else in the room.

“Trixie, please,” Twilight hissed. “Can you try to be nice?”

“No, Twi,” Applejack shook her head, “I really don’t think she can.”

“What is this,” Trixie scoffed, “some kinda reverse psychology?”

“Nah, just callin’ ‘em like I see ‘em,” Applejack said. “You got a bad case of the ol’ irony poisoning, Trixie, plain as day. You think if you say anythin’ that reveals yer honest emotions, people are gonna make fun of ya, or take advantage of ya.”

“You’re afraid of loving or being loved,” Twilight added in a dull whisper, Trixie’s experiences eerily similar to her own before Zecora and Spike saved her. “You push everyone out with this tough guy shit so you don’t get hurt by having feelings for people, then when everyone gets tired of it and leaves or pushes you out, you can point to that and say you were right to treat everyone like trash, completely ignorant of how it was your actions that started that cycle in the first place, and how you always have the power to break it.”

“That irony poisoning crap ain’t gonna get you far with me and Twi,” Applejack chuckled as Twilight sat down beside her on the bed, Applejack putting an arm around her and Spike scampering up to sit next to her.

“That’s true,” Twilight chirped. “We’re way too sincere.”

“Yeah, and me too!” Spike added. “Being sincere is awesome!”

“Is that so?” Trixie rolled her eyes. “Even if you were right about me, which you’re not, what makes you think I even want to change?”

“You don’t have too,” Twilight said, and she levitated the bags of snacks over to the floor in front of the bed, and they hadn't even touched the ground yet before Spike was all over them, tearing treats out and stuffing them in his mouth. “But only emotionally sincere girls, and Spike, get to have snacks. So you better say something nice or you’re gonna be hungry.”

“You two think you can read me so easily, huh?!” Trixie said indignantly, stomping her hoof on the ground as Twilight and Applejack sat on the floor and prepared for snacks.

“Yeah,” Applejack scoffed.

“Like an open book,” Twilight added.

“And Twilight loves books! She’s an expert on ‘em!” Spike said.

“I was in the same place you are, Trixie,” Twilight explained. “I had people who cared about me enough to help me work my way through it, and who I wanted to make proud by being the best version of myself I could be.”

“Same here,” Applejack nodded. “Right after my folks passed, I was… well, I was a much different pony, let’s just say that. Then I met Pinkie, and doin’ right by her meant doin’ right by myself.”

“You two don’t know anything about me,” Trixie said with a sneer.

“Okay,” Twilight said, not even looking at Trixie cuz she was too focused on the snacks as she and Applejack huddled on the floor and dug into the treats. She wanted some oatmeal crème cookies.

“All I know is I want some of those hot chips,” Applejack licked her lips as she split open the chip bag.

“Oh, so that’s just it then?” Trixie stomped her hoof. “You’re just gonna ignore me now, is that it?”

“Not ignoring you,” Twilight said, “just done talking about you, and especially about irony poisoning. It’s snack time. But remember, only nice girls and boys and enbies get snacks.”

“Fine!” Trixie screamed. “Maybe I don’t wanna talk to you either!”

“Okay,” Twilight said. “Snack offer’s still open if you want it though. If not, you know where the door is.”

The crème cookies were really good, and watching Applejack eat way more hot chips than she could handle and desperately chug soda straight from the bottle— despite her claims that she could handle ‘any amount’ of spicy— was even better.

Spike of course dug right into the cosmic brownies, but Twilight felt like she should savor them a bit more. They were the reigning queen of snack foods after all, they demanded a little bit of respect.

“I like your hair,” Trixie grumbled, arms crossed and defiantly refusing to look at Twilight, even as Twilight turned to Trixie with stars in her eyes. “I always thought your highlights looked really cool, and they still do, and your bangs are cute. It’s a good look for you.”

“I like your hair too, Trixie,” Twilight said, levitating a cosmic brownie into Trixie’s hands. And as Trixie tore off the wrapper and took a bite, Twilight pretended not to see the tears in Trixie’s eyes.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know by leaving a comment! I absolutely adore reading them!
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next