• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,949 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,949

PreviousChapters Next
249. The Girl Who Sees Through Fate

If Applejack had one problem with the Crystal Empire, other than that its government was run by tyrannical power-obsessed racists who profited off the backs of slave labor, but that was more a criticism of the government than the city itself, and was a criticism that could extend to Equestria for sure and probably a lot of other governments too.

Uh… where were we? Oh right, the Empire.

If Applejack had one problem with the Crystal Empire aside from its government, it was that the country’s signature crystal berries, while delicious in their own right, made it hard to find a good place to eat and drink the world’s most perfect fruit: the cranberry.

That was a joke, Applejack was looking for apples of course, but she was having a hard time of it.

She was standin’ around the marketplace and was about to give up for the afternoon when she suddenly felt something slam into her chest, and it only took a sec to realize what slammed into her was a woman who was now lying flat on the ground.

“Goodness, are you okay?!” Applejack asked concernedly and the woman gave a thumbs-up, and when she opened her eyes and gave a bright gleaming smile, Applejack saw the ethereal glow in her eyes and recognized it for what it was.

She was a dragon.

It wasn’t something Applejack was entirely used to yet, but it felt nice to recognize she was in front of a dragon and not feel like she was in danger or anything. It was also nice cuz this girl was kinda cute.

While her form was similar to a pony, there were a couple key differences that made her stand out; namely the green scales on her nose and forehead that contrasted against her pale white fur and fluffy orange mane, and her horn looked like the branch of an ancient tree, which was very different than the unicorns Applejack was used to.

And then it suddenly struck Applejack; not quite a realization, but a memory, of a conversation she had partaken in with Twilight. Twi told her about a girl who helped her out in Bitsburgh, and she described her very distinctive facial features.

What was that girl’s name again?

“Autumn Blaze?” Applejack asked aloud, the girl’s eyes flickering with recognition, her ears perking up, and her bright smile getting even bigger and brighter.

“That’s me, that’s my name!” Autumn said happily, pointing at herself. Applejack extended a hand and Autumn took it, springing to her feet and shaking Applejack’s hand way more energetically than Applejack was prepared for. “Do I know you from someplace? Friend? Foe? Rival? Lover?”

“Uh, none of those, sorry,” Applejack chuckled and ran a hand through her mane. “You helped out a pal of mine, Twilight Sparkle? Maybe you remember her—”

“Yeah!” Autumn pumped her fists and her eyes glistened like polished gemstones. “In Baltimare, right? Er, wait, no it was Bitsburgh!”

“Yeah, back in Bitsburgh,” Applejack nodded. “So you do remember her?”

“I sure do!” Autumn grinned. “She was cool! How’s she doin’ these days?”

“She’s been a little under the weather lately,” Applejack said, putting it extremely mildly, “but she’s a strong gal, she’ll bounce back.”

“I hope things went okay with her pony friend,” Autumn said.

“They’re datin’ now,” Applejack laughed, “so I’d say it went alright.”

“Ah,” Autumn said reservedly, and Applejack was admittedly caught way off-guard by that. Autumn must’ve noticed too, cuz she immediately turned the cheer up to a hundred and ten percent. “That’s great! Love to see it!”

“Oh hey, you were in a hurry, weren’tcha?” Applejack asked. “I don’t wanna keep you from whatever you were—”

“No, I wasn’t going anywhere,” Autumn shrugged and gave an adorable little giggle. “I just like zoomin’ around, and sometimes I run into stuff. No big deal.”

“Uhhh, oh,” Applejack laughed. “Okay then.”

“Yeah, I’m a traveler, I hop from place to place,” Autumn said. “Just happen to be passing through the Crystal Empire today with a friend, and the other day or whenever that was, just happened to be passing through Bitsburgh.”

“Huh, pretty serendipitous we’ve run into you twice, I guess,” Applejack said.

“Nothing serendipitous about it,” Autumn said, and something about her vaguely seductive tone sent a chill down Applejack’s spine, “it’s gotta be fate.”

“Fate? Y’think so?” Applejack wasn’t a big believer in big concepts like fate and destiny and stuff, she preferred to grapple with what she could hold in her own two hands. Still though, that didn’t give an excuse to be rude to people who believed differently from her, or ran their lives in a different way.

“I do,” Autumn nodded confidently. “Everyone knows fate works in threes, but the way I see it, if you catch on the second time, then you’re ahead of the game!”

“I like the way you think, Autumn Blaze!” Applejack said cheerily, slapping Autumn’s shoulder. She was an interesting gal, for sure.

“Thank you, uhhhhhhhh” Autumn zoned out, a little string of drool falling outta her mouth that was really disconcerting to Applejack, but it did force her to realize the mistake she had made.

“Oh! I’m Applejack!” Applejack said, utterly ashamed that she’d forgotten her manners.

“Nice to meetcha, Applejack!” Autumn Blaze smiled again, and Applejack was sure that gleaming smile of hers could lighten up even the darkest cave. “I’m sure we’ll become great friends!”

“Sure! Pleasure to meetcha too, Autumn Blaze!” Applejack said. This girl was certainly strange, but Applejack liked the cut of her jib, and she felt like she’d be happy to become friends with her.

“Anyway bye,” Autumn said, already passing by Applejack and walking off.

“Oh, is that all?” Applejack chuckled. “Yer already leavin’?”

“Afraid so,” Autumn looked back and smiled sweetly. “But don’t worry, we’ll meet again. It’s fate.”

Author's Note:

i love autumn blaze so much y'all
also her getting baltimare and bitsburgh confused is a joke on myself getting them confused in an earlier chapter (i've fixed it now tho)

If you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know by leaving a comment! I absolutely adore reading them!
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next