• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,400 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,400

PreviousChapters Next
Counting Licks

“Truly? The world never found out how many licks it took?”

Nick shrugged at Luna. “Well, technically there was a study done, but I forgot how many it really was. I suppose the closest thing to a Tootsie Pop is the local candymaker's double-flavored lollipops, what with their inner core being a different flavor. But we'd still need an owl to answer it that won't bite the thing off after three licks! Heh, no way that would ever work.”

Luna readjusted her seating position, deep in thought. The pair's weekly talks about different cultures were always stimulating for both Luna and Nick. “Pray tell, friend Nicholas, dost thou have any of those special candies at hoof?”

“I think you mean, ‘on hand’, Luna. And yeah, I have a stash of ‘em in my room. I really like the blue raspberry ones with the grape core, so I keep a few spare for when they aren't in stock.”

“Then all is… what is the common phrasing in this modern age? All is funky fresh?”

Nick facepalmed. “Oh my God, just no. Stick with ye olde speecheth, I beg you.”

“Why? We thought we were doing a totally tubular job at modern speech!”


Nick woke up in the middle of the night after the day had passed. Something felt off. It might have just been his imagination, but some part of his instincts passed down from millenia of being a prey animal told him he was being watched. He hadn't opened his eyes yet, and laid perfectly still as the seconds audibly ticked by on his cuckoo clock. Rational thought warred with his fight or flight response, one side insisting that Equestria and Canterlot Castle specifically were so safe he'd never get hurt and the other half telling him to either stay still, run, or die.

Eventually, Nick warily cracked one eye open the tiniest bit, hoping to see what was going on in the pale light of the moon shining through the window. Much to his horror, a pair of big, predatory eyes stared back at him. His eyes shot open in terror, and he frantically scanned the room for anything to help. What he saw terrified him. Dozens of pairs of those same eyes stared at him in the dim light of the moon, waiting for him to make a move.

Slowly, cautiously, Nick schooched backwards in bed, his eyes never leaving the pair closest to him. The impromptu staring contest was at least keeping it in a state of curiosity instead of… he didn't want to think about what else this mass of shadowy blobs and eyes would want with him. He cautiously stepped out of bed, wincing internally as he heard a ruffle of feathers behind him. Still, nothing had attacked him yet, so he could more likely than not make it out of the room and-

“OUCH!”

Nick cried out in pain as he stepped on a sharp pebble that had gotten lodged in the carpet, and with that all hell broke loose. The collection of eyes were startled by the sudden noise, so was Nick. He nearly jumped three feet in the air from the shock, which scared the mass of eyes even more, and suddenly his room was a mob of activity as wings flapped and talons grabbed at things in the chaos.

“HELP!” He cried out, unable to see or hear from all the commotion around him.

“And just what do you all think you're doing?!”

That stern but soft-spoken voice made all the activity in the room grind to a halt in an instant, and a figure entered the door and flicked the lights on.

“Fluttershy?”

“Oh, um, h-hello, Nick. I'm sorry if I woke you…” the yellow pegasus grabbed a part of her mane and cutely tried to cover her face in shame. Nick took this moment to glance around the room at his attackers.

“Uh… Flutters? What's with all the owls?”

“Oh!” She brightened up quickly. “Princess Luna told me about your world's Mr. Owl and how he could never figure out something about a lollipop, so I offered to bring my owl friends to help you! But they just scared you.” She glared at the collection of fifty or so birds, sweeping her disapproving gaze over the room. “You should all be ashamed!”

“Hoo,” one replied apologetically.

“Uh… well, no harm done, I guess. Plus I can't be mad at you, Flutters. I will need to talk to Luna about pranks during my sleeping hours, though. But since these owls are here…” Nick reached under his bed and grabbed a lollipop, unwrapping it and holding it out to the nearest owl. “How many licks do you think it'll take to get to the center?”

The owl tilted its head in confusion, but leaned forward and licked at the sugary treat. One lick… two licks… three licks…

CRUNCH

Nick groaned. “Dangit, every time! I guess it's just not meant to be known anywhere…”

Author's Note:

...and here's the REAL april fool's chapter. Thanks to Drazhan fkr the idea, altjough it origionally was about Hooters. Given the E rating I had to tone it back...

PreviousChapters Next