• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,425 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,425

PreviousChapters Next
(En)danger Zone

Nick woke up as he normally did, took his morning shower and got dressed before heading for breakfast in the dining hall. But something was off this time as he strode into the massive room, a few dozen ponies were chatting over clipboards and various scientific instruments. And as soon as he entered, they all turned to face him, discussing with each other.

“Ah, that must be the hyooman! Be cautious, my comrades, we do not want to startle it.”

“Who would dare keep such a rare and exotic creature in captivity? It may very well be the only one of its kind, and the castle keeps it as a pet?”

“We are going to have to talk to the princess about this. It goes against endangered species laws to have one domesticated like...” the last researcher pony trailed off as Nick walked over with a tray of food. “Quick!” he stage whispered to the others. “Act natural!”

“Riiiiiiight,” Nick began. “So, I'm going to pretend that you all weren't talking about me like I couldn't hear you. And I would like to know what your deal is. It's way too early for this.”

The researchers staggered back in shock. “It… it talks?”

Nick groaned and pinched his nose in annoyance. “Yes. He can speak, is intelligent, and has a college degree and full Equestrian citizenship. And my name is Nick, thanks for asking,” he finished sarcastically. With a huff, the human sat down and began eating his pancakes.

One of the researchers, emboldened by the nudge from his two peers, stepped forward to speak with Nick. “Ah. Um… my deepest apologies good sir, I assure you we had no idea you were intelligent. We overheard Princess Twilight talking about a new species residing at the castle and came to investigate. Perhaps you could tell us about your culture?”

Nick grinned mischievously and said, “As a matter of fact…”


“Nick?” Celestia knocked on his bedroom door. “Nick, it's three in the afternoon. You need to wake up.”

“My apologies, your majesty, but I'm afraid I can't permit that.”

Celestia turned around to face a few of her most trusted researchers. “Ah, Wild Safari. Might I ask why I am not allowed to check on my friend?”

“It is part of his culture, your majesty! Hyoomans are to be allowed to sleep in as long as they please, and their rooms are their safe havens! As the only one of his species in Equestria, we have to respect his wishes as it falls under the endangered species act!”

Celestia frowned. “Oh, so he thinks he's clever, does he? Perhaps I need to update that law with clauses for sentient endangered species such as himself. What else did he tell you?”

“Many things that sound like a foal trying to get out of the rules, but it is his culture! We have to respect it. To commit a faux pas against such a rare creature would go against our oaths as researchers of the crown!”

“Right. Well, this is my castle and I'm going in to have a talk with him.” Celestia wrapped the door handle in her magic and turned it.

Wild Safari jumped in her way before she could open the door. “No, your majesty! You cannot interrupt the sacred human ritual of Royal Cake Time!”

She bared her teeth and shouted at the scientist, “The ritual of WHAT?!”

Celestia flung the door open, only to find Nick sitting at a table, reclined in his chair, snacking on one of HER cakes. Moreover, there were at least five more on the table, and he was clearly enjoying himself.

“NICHOLAS!!”

Nick fell backwards and out of his chair in surprise, scrambling to his feet with frosting still on his face. “Uhh… Celly! Long time no see! How are you?”

“Moat. Now.”

Wild Safari stepped forward. “But your majesty, it's no moat day according to hyooman customs!”

Within moments, Nick, Wild Safari, and the other nearby researchers found themselves swimming in the castle moat. “How dare she defy a hyooman custom like that! Nick, we apologize for our ruler's undignified behavior!”

“Eh. I got cake, I'm happy.”

Author's Note:

A big thank you to Fistfire for reminding me that Nick mentioned 'endangered species privilege' one time! This chapter never would have happened without you!

PreviousChapters Next