• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,394 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,394

PreviousChapters Next
Munched 4: Live Free or Munch Hard

Day court was rather boring on the average afternoon. Nobles bickered, bills passed or failed to do so, the occasional petitioner had to get kicked out, and one or two ponies brought a gift for the solar alicorn. Celestia almost wished something interesting would happen, but she knew that such a line of thinking was nothing short of saying 'Hey Discord, come and turn the whole of Canterlot upside-down!' At least Twilight was helping today, and Celestia really appreciated the company. The only thing that seemed remotely out of place was Nick and Luna pulling a cart piled high with something covered by a tarp. She figured it was for some prank later, and made a not to try and figure out what it was before it hit her. That's what spies are for, after all.

Meanwhile, the princess of the night and her human ally were setting everything up. "So, why exactly are we going through all this effort for a cake? I know it's my sister's cake, but you could just ask one of the chefs to make you one. You DO have some degree of authority around here, after all."

"It's the principle of the matter," Nick responded. "Plus, I've seen a lot of crazy things happen because of what I can only describe as the plot of a kid's show, so I've been trying to capitalize on that by playing the genre to my favor."

"When was this?"

"Last week when I was running from Celestia and somehow every door in the hallway led back to the hallway. It was straight out of a popular show called Scooby-Doo."

"Chase scenes are no less common than spontaneous musical numbers, Nicholas. You know this," Luna explained, befuddled as to where the human was going with this line of thinking.

"Well I figured I'd try playing a different genre to my favor. I'm not about to go painting a door and escaping through it, only Discord could hope to pull that off. But if there's one genre I know, it's action movies." He smiled at the fond memories of the genre's many tropes. "Anyway, this heist rides on two of the biggest rules of action movies: You're a badass if you don't look at explosions, and badasses aren't hurt by explosions."

"That explains all the dynamite. You're lucky we have quite the repair budget."


Celestia cantered down the hall towards the main kitchen. She had just finished day court, and she was hungry for a cake. Twilight was following, but the purple alicorn wasn't in the mood for as sweet a treat as cake. All that came to a halt, however, when they saw Nick casually leaning against the doorframe of the kitchens, with a platter in his hands. On that platter, covered by a glass dome enchanted to never break and keep the confection fresh, was one of Celestia's precious cakes.

"Took ya long enough, princess. Something seems to be eatin' ya, though."

Celestia saw red for a moment. "Hand it over, Nick. You've proven your point. I don't know how you got one of my cakes, and I don't care. Give it back."

"Let me think about that. Hmmmmno." And with a over-exaggerated bow, he took off running.

"After him!" Celestia and Twilight took off after their friend, hooves pounding the floor as they galloped closer. They almost had him when Nick took a running leap over a railing instead of taking the stairs, using a floral arrangement below to cushion his fall. That was when the explosions started.

Two moderately sized blasts went off on either side of the flowers the moment he impacted the ground, silhouetting Nick against a backdrop of fire. The two alicorns in pursuit had jumped after him, but were caught off-guard by the blasts and were stunned long enough for Nick to make a mad dash down the hall. As he ran with his rivals in hot pursuit, several more explosions rocked the hall, so much that the entire castle shook for a few moments. That mini-quake happened to make Blueblood spill wine all over his vest, but nopony would know that until later.

Nick kept running. Every turn and jump on his route was followed by explosions, making the whole thing really seem like something straight out of an action movie. For the grand finale, he dashed off a balcony and used a nearby banner to slide down the wall of the castle to the ground, where a small table he had set up before was there waiting for him.

As rubble collapsed around him, he had only one thing to say. "Aw yeah, I'm a badass. And to the victor go the spoils!" Taking the cake out of its casing, nick took several mouthfuls of the delicious treat before slowing down. There was something distinctly non-cakey inside the cake. he swallowed the remainder of the bite in his mouth before taking a closer look at his prize. He noticed, baked into the cake, several familiar blue flowers.

"Oh, crudbuckets."

Author's Note:

Had to let him win once! But Nick also loses. Any ideas on how poison joke affects humans? I have no idea, YOU TELL ME!

Since Filli Vanilli we know the plant has the same effect EVERY time, but only on ponies so far! So I've decided to hold a little contest in the comments while I take a quick break to recharge my ideas on possible pranks. I'm willing to make Nick getting joke'd a regular thing, and its one effect on Nick is... Whatever the audience suggests! Leave a good enough idea and see it become a chapter. I'll be sure to give ya credit!

It's not too much of a hassle anyway. I write these in like an hour, stream of consciousness, no editing. So show me what you got, readers! We're outsourcing the next prank to you!

PreviousChapters Next