• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,397 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,397

PreviousChapters Next
Nick or Nickel

The sun had just finished setting, and Celestia was sitting back down at her desk to finish up the last of her paperwork for the day. She pondered about Nick’s whereabouts, as she had not seen him since lunch, but figured he had things under control. That was, at least, until a tired, yet regal stallion pushed the doors to the office open with his head. Nick had bags under his eyes, he looked hungry, and he was still a pony.

“Nick?” Celestia got up and inspected her friend. “What happened?”

“Long story short, I got involved in quite the adventure today. When does this potion wear off, Celly? I want to be human again.”

Celestia wrapped a wing around Nick’s torso, which he found rather soothing as a pony. “Don’t worry Nick, it should wear off soon. The potion was only set to last for twelve hours. I gave it to you at eight o’clock this morning, and it’s nine in the evening now, so it should… have… worn… off.” She flipped her gaze back to Nick, a hint of panic in her eyes. “Why hasn’t it worn off?!”

“Why are you asking me?! I don’t know the first thing about potions! What, do you expect the answer to magically appear on your desk?!” He gestured frantically to the pile of paperwork on Celestia’s desk, and she trained her gaze on it as well.

“Quack.”

Nick lost any and all of his panic as it turned to confusion. “Uh, Celly, why is there a duck on your desk? There aren’t even any windows open, and I didn’t see it come in.”

Celestia merely shook her head, giggling ever so slightly. “Oh, that’s just the ‘pet’ of the stallion who made that potion. It has a tendency to just… show up. And how are you doing, my little ducky? I missed you.” She reached out and stroked it on the back with her hoof, the mystery waterfowl appearing to enjoy it.

“Quack.”

The Duck preened its wing for a moment, then stood up and waddled over to investigate Celestia’s peytral. Its movements were awkward, though, due to the scroll stuck to its foot. “Oh, what have we here?” Celestia inquired, levitating The Duck up in her magic and snatching the parchment from it. “I don’t see why my royal alchemist has so much trouble catching you when you get loose. You’re just a silly bundle of feathers! Yes you are!” She nuzzled it, then summoned a birdcage and placed the bird inside it, locking it shut. “Now, let’s see here…”

Dear Princess-Boss Celestia,

I recently found this neat spell that writes what I say so I can write letters while I work! But that’s besides the point. I discovered something about that pony transformation potion you had me make. Temporarily juxtaposing a magical matrix on the sub-thaumaturgical level will- oh, floof. I ran out of limes again. Where was I? Oh, right. I won’t bore you with the details, but if you give that potion to a nonmagical creature like your human friend, there is a slight risk. Yes, I included an illusory cutie mark, but should he gain a real one the magical matrix could permanently imprint itself on him, or fuse with him or something, and OW! Ow ow ow ow ow I spilled acid on my leg! That was NOT fun! Hang on, I’m gonna soak it in water! This ought to help with THE WATER IS BOILING! OW OW OW OW

...A-anyway, if your human friend Nick gains a cutie mark while under the potion’s effects, it could have one of two consequences. If he’s not lucky, it would lock him into that form, and he’d be stuck as a pony until I could work out an antidote. Let me know if that happens, by the way, I’d gladly fix that mistake free of charge. The other possible outcome is that he might be able to swap between human and pony forms at will, similar to how a changeling can alter its biology on the fly but only between his human and pony forms. Switching would likely be caused by a will to change, or if my guess is right he might also be able to use-

Quack

HOW DID YOU GET IN HERE YOU STUPID DUCK?! NO WAIT PUT THAT SCROLL DOWN! I NEED TO SEND THAT TO CELESTIA!

Quack

HOLD STILL! NO WAIT DON’T PECK AT THAT, THAT’S A HIGH EXP-

Celestia rolled the scroll back up, choosing to ignore the burn marks on the bottom of it. “Well, Nick, you heard me read that. And now that I get a better look at you, I see your flank has a pile of coins pictured on it instead of metal ingot you left with this morning. Am I going to have to call Pinkie to throw you a Cute-ceañera?”

“Ugh.” Nick facehooved. “You might as well, I’d be surprised if she wasn’t already setting it up. But tell her to keep it between us, Luna, and the elements, okay? Now then…” Nick closed his eyes and focused hard, and in a flash of light, he was once again a human. His clothes that he was wearing that morning even came back! He gave Celestia a sly grin. “Oh, I’m gonna have fun with this…”

“I’m just glad everything turned out alright,” she replied. “I suppose I should have Twilight come check you for any side effects, too.”

“Sounds good. Hey, where’d that duck go? The cage is empty.”

The solar alicorn looked back at the birdcage, and sure enough, there was no trace of The Duck in it aside from a single white feather.

“Okay, maybe its owner wasn’t exaggerating when he called it an escape artist. Hey, now that I think about it, how did you get your cutie mark? Tell me, tell me!”

The human chuckled. “That, my dear princess, is a story for another day…”

Author's Note:

Just how did Nick get his mark? Well, you all asked, so I'm working on a spinoff of his life as a pony right now! I also made a new story called My Life's a Sitcom if you're interested.

PreviousChapters Next