• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,386 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,386

PreviousChapters Next
The Theseus Thesis

"Nicholas? Dost thou have a moment to spare?" Luna poked her head I through the door to Nick's suite of the castle. Nick put down the latest Daring Do book he was reading and nodded.

"I always have time for you and your sister, Luna. What's up? Judging by the fact it's not your off hours, I assume it's work related?"

"Yes. We are usually more than happy to help dear sister with her paperwork, but this order vexes us. Pray tell, dost thou know of any reason why twenty identical ships of interchangeable parts have been shipped to Ponyville, despite having nothing more than a pond in terms of aquatic locales?"

Nick shook his head for a moment. "Sorry, I wasn't paying full attention there. You said twenty boats got shipped to Ponyville? That is wierd. Let me see the order, maybe I can spot something out of place." Luna entered and huffed over the requested paperwork. Nick looked it over while his Lunar friend took a moment to get a drink of water and nibble on the flowers he left for her and Celestia's visits in a vase on the table. After a good ten minutes of reading and rereading the papers, Nick snapped his fingers triumphantly. "Eureka! I've got the answer!"

Luna looked up from her snapdragons with interest. "Well? Do not keep us in suspense, dear Nocholas."

He pointed to a few lines and explained. "Well, somepony shuffled the numbers around a a bit, but at its core the funds to buy those boats came directly from the royal science fund, which is used of experiments and advancements in technology. But there's only one pony in Ponyville with unfettered access to that fund..."

Luna finished his thought for him. "Twilight."


Ponyville was having a day of clear skies. The temperature was just right, not a cloud to be seen, and because it had been at least a week since the last fiasco, nopony paid any attention the twenty sailboats sitting in a hastily assembled dry dock next to castle friendship.

"Twi, why are we taking these apart and putting them back together?" Inquired Spike, the purple princess's number one assistant. "Didn't these all pass inspection?"

Twilight disconnected the mast with her magic and replaced it with antoher, not even looking at the drake. Her mane and tail were frazzled, and she was clearly close to going full 'lesson zero'. "It's not the integrity of the ships I'm checking! I have an experiment to run! This could be the the start of a great advancement in the field of logical thinking and science!"

"I think it's the start of a major headache. Twilight, what the heck are you doing?" Nick and Luna walked up to the excited purple pony, both wondering exactly how thos dry dock had been constructed so fast. Oh wait, Ponyville. Events like this are just as important to roll with as Pinkie's logic.

"Nick!" With a flap of her wings, Twilight jumped into Nick's arms for a hug, affectionately nuzzling him. "I've been working my tail off trying to figure out that problem you gave me! Sure, it distracted me from studying the effects of poision joke on humans, but this is now a major scientific study!"

Nick thought for a moment on what the pony in his arms was talking about. "Wait, are you actually trying to replicate the Ship of Theseus paradox? Why?!"

"I gotta know! Doesn't the unknown excite you?"

"And what, pray tell, is this paradox, Nicholas?" Luna asked.

Nick sighed. "It's a thought experiment. The idea is that if you have a boat made of replaceable parts, eventually you will have to replace every part. If you reassembled all the parts you replaced, the paradox lies in the question: which is your ship?"

"So I'm shuffling parts around to find out if I can solve it!" Twilight beamed.

Luna tilted her head, intruiged. "Fascinating. Is this anything like when you told her that 'This sentence is false'?"

Nick nodded, letting Twilight's mane to help calm her down. "Yup. There's never really a clear answer. It's meant to confuse the person, er, pony. I have a few other paradoxes stashed away in case I need to get away from Sparky here in a hurry."

"Don't be mean!" Twilight chided playfully, lightly hitting him with a hoof. Nick pretended not to notice. Luna allowed herself a refined giggle.

"But, it usually doesn't have to be a ship. Pretty much anything that has parts that can be replaced, the paradox applies. How much do you need to replace before it is a different thing? It could be a house, or a puzzle, or even a living being in some cases! The possibilities on how to word the question, and therefore the number of possible experiments, are...uh...endless. Uh oh..." he looked down at the excitedly quivering purple mass in his arms. "Twilight no."

"TWILIGHT YES!"

Author's Note:

The ship of Theseus is a thought experiment about how many changes you can make to something before it's different. Seeing as the average human body replaces all its cells over the course of around 5 years, do you still think you are the same person/pony/other you were when the show started? Think on it and get back to me, I'm curious on your thoughts.

PreviousChapters Next