• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,385 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,385

PreviousChapters Next
Rise and shine

Princess Celestia all but skipped into the dining hall, chipper as could be. She turned and greeted her two closest friends in the castle with a smile on her face. "Good morning, Luna! Good morning, Nick! I hope you slept well! Are you ready for another amazing day?"

"Put that oversized candle back below the horizon for another hour, Celly."

"COFFEE."

Nick and Luna shambled along, using each other for support. The castle staff gave them a wide berth as they made their way to the table, plopping down in their seats.

"Did you two stay up all night playing Ogres and Oubliettes again? You two need to start getting to bed at a reasonable hour, it might help," the elegant princess reccomended. In return, her sister and the human shot her a withering death glare as the servants brought them strong, sugar-loaded coffee in stark contrast to Celestia's mild tea.

"You know we've tried that, Celestia. Lu a and I just end up having more sleep and still are like this. I keep telling you the only solution is to let us sleep in..." Nick wearily remarked. He seemed to have trouble sitting up straight, his body swaying in an unseen breeze as he did his nest impression of Gummy, eyes blinking one at a time.

"MORE COFFEE..." Bellowed Luna, nearly reaching the Royal Canterlot Voicetm. The staff scrambled to their hooves for more of the energizing beverage, hoping Luna wouldn't raise her voice more in anger. They brought two more mugs for her, she downed the first faster than most ponies can chug cider and began nursing the second.

Celestia sighed, shaking her head sadly. "Never change, you two. You work so well together. But seriously, you need to start being more alert in the mornings." She trotted off to go start day court, leaving the two exhausted pals to slowly regain their composure.

Luna slammed her head into the table, groaning. "Nopony should have to get up at this hour."

"At least I get to go back to bed, since I can claim human sleep schedules are different and get away with it under the endangered species laws. You have court to get to."

"Thy..." Luna stifled a yawn. "Thy job, Nicholas, is to partake in our little prank battle. Perhaps we could figure out a way to make her suffer as we have?" She turned to face Nick, but he was already out cold, using his fluffy pancakes as a decent pillow.


That night, Celestia nestled herself under the covers and prepared to go to sleep. And yet for some reason, as she lay there in bed, she could not find the usual tiredness she often felt creeping up on her at that time. It was odd, but not that far out there. It only began to worry her, though, as an entire hour passed by and she still barely even batted an eye. She tossed and turned for another hour before finally standing up and trotting to the window and gazing out into the night sky. She felt jittery, not knowing why.

Luna and Nick, meanwhile, were watching via a scrying spell from her tower. "I can't believe this is working so well. Do you think she's noticed the caffine buzz, or just thinks she's oddly awake?"

"We think she does not realize, Nicholas. How did you sneak that much caffine into her system?"

"I replaced the coffee in all the coffee cake in her dessert at dinner with espresso."

"Thou art a genius."

"Thanks, Luna. Now let's get some sleep so we can rub it in her face tomorrow."


Celestia trudged into the dining hall with bags under her eyes, a slightly disheveled mane, and other signs of exhaustion caused by caffine withdrawal.

"Good morning Celestia! How are you?" Luna greeted her sister cheerfully. She and Nick were actually tired, but were keeping the facade of a cheery morning.

"Oh, Luna. Nick... I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. Honestly I need something to wake me up. I hate to ask, but do you have any spare coffee? I don't often partake, but I think I might need it."

"I've got something better, Celly!" Nick reached under the table and to the shock of both princesses, pulled a very familiar, very chaotic instrument.

"Nick, if you dare say the phrase..."

"I dare. What could possibly go wrong?"

As the royals split up to chase down the human and contain the mess from the discordiam tuba as it began spraying silly string everywhere, Celestia had to admit it at least woke her up...

Author's Note:

I had to get up at 3am to catch my flight home from vacation.
I hated it. But it inspired this, at least.
Not my strongest or longest chapter because I'm still tired.:ajsleepy:

PreviousChapters Next