• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,392 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,392

PreviousChapters Next
The Big Machine

Princess Celestia sat on her throne hosting open day court, a monthly event that was needed to show how she was a fair ruler. It was the same as normal day court: ponies come in asking for rulings on land disputes, favors to be done for town building projects and events, her royal alchemist barged in demanding one of her feathers for an experiment, a school wanted her to come and visit their foals, and so on. The big difference was that this day court session was open to the public. The doors to the throne room were held wide open, and anypony could waltz right in and observe the proceedings provided they stayed behind a certain point and didn't cause a ruckus.

She was in the middle of listening to a long request for a federal loan to allow some business venture in Vanhoover when something caught her eye. Through the open doors of the throne room, she saw the castle's resident human dragging a rather large cart full of wood, springs, and other supplies through the main entry hall and towards the royal guard practice fields. That's odd, she thought, but decided to pay it no mind as she mentally prepared herself for the ‘sorry, the crown will not support that’ speech.

The day seemed to progress as normal until a request for her to attend a sporting event as an honored guest. For starters, it actually didn't conflict with her schedule, so she could say yes. But the other strange thing was seeing Nick March through the lobby again, with several craftsponies in tow, carrying lots of hammers and saws.

But she persisted, listening to grievance after grievance for another few hours. Even when the racket of construction began emanating from the training fields, Celestia simply cast a soundproofing spell and kept on with her work. She couldn't help the itch in the back of her mind, though: What was Nick up to this time?

The noises seemed to have an unintended effect, though. “Sister?” Luna trotted into the throne room, still in her purple pajamas with white polka dots and holding a teddy bear under her wing. “What in Tartarus is all that infernal racket about? We cannot sleep whilst it persists.”

“Uh, Luna? You do realize where you are, right?”

“Oh course, we art in the royal throne room, and we art trying to sleep, yet that cacophony outside is giving us a headache!”

“Luna.”

“And another thing-” Luna was about to continue her triade when a muffled giggle came from behind her. Slowly, she turned her head around, eyes widening as she finally noticed the couple hundred ponies in attendance. “...oh. Uh… We have to go now, sister. We believe we have left the oven on.” Luna trotted out of the throne room at a brisk pace, turning and addressing the crowd as she left. “Not. One. Word.”

The soundproofing spell proved highly useful as Celestia and her subjects enjoyed a laugh at Luna's expense.


That evening, Nick was putting the finishing touches on his giant contraption when Celestia and Luna finally came to investigate what he was up to. The thing he was working on appeared to be a giant ten foot wooden cube, with gears, conveyors, and other moving parts on its sides.

“Hello, Nick.”

“Ah, Celly! Luna! You two are just in time for the first use of my Giant Contraption That Does A Thing 3000! Please, have a seat right over there and enjoy the show!” He gestured to the nearby bench so the princesses could sit down.

Luna glared at Nick. “It does not pull pranks, does it?”

“Nope! I swear it doesn't. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Nick quickly performed a slight variant of the Pinkie promise hand motions he and the over enthusiastic pink mare had worked out for humans. “It does a very important thing, but no pranks!”

“Very well, Nicholas. But we art watching thee.”

Celestia and Luna sat down where Nick had indicated, noting that the wooden bench was slightly damp, but neither mentioned it since there had been a scheduled rainstorm the night prior. “Well, Nick? Go ahead.”

Nick nodded, and proceeded to turn the hand crank on the side of the machine, setting everything into motion. Gears turned, pinwheels spun, moving parts moved, and the attached bells rung. Nick just kept spinning the hand crank for several minutes, before Luna finally lost a bit of her patience.

“So what exactly does it do, Nicholas?”

Nick grinned, approaching and bopping the lunar princess on the muzzle. “You silly pony. It distracts princesses while the glue on the bench dries.”

“What?!”

“See you girls later, I'm going to the market! Good luck getting yourselves unstuck from that bench!”

“NIIIIIIIIICK!”

Author's Note:

Let me know if I screwed up on the editing, I couldn't reach my editor last night or today and had to fly solo like old times.

AND HAPPY 50th CHAPTER, EVERYPONY! WOOOO

PreviousChapters Next