• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,397 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,397

PreviousChapters Next
The subtle things

Celestia woke up, raised the sun, and put on her royal finery, as she did every day. She had a court to run, papers to sign, meetings to attend, and of course, cake to eat. So, she trotted out of her room with a smile on har face, greeted her guards, and went on her merry way.

It took all of three steps for her to run facefirst into the spiderweb. This resulted in her shaking her head, staggering backwards, sneezing, and falling flat on her rump in front of her guards and a few maids. The former were clearly trying to suppress giggles at her antics, while the latter looked horrified that they missed a spot while cleaning. Still, she reassured them and soldiered on, knowing that the day couldn't get any worse than that start.

So, she went to day court. The proposals ranged from mundane to asinine, with little variety. Nobles bickered, she would let her decision be known, and that was that. Then she went to go get lunch, as she needed her nom noms to keep the sun moving and the kingdom running smooth. Except her cushion decided to come with her.

"Oh, really funny," she chided to nopony in particular. "When I find out which of those two did this, I'm gonna get back at them so fast..." Still, she managed to get rid of the cushion in a simple manner: set it on fire. When naught but ash remained, she ordered a replacement cushion be acquired and left. Thank goodness she was immune to flames.

So, she went and sat for lunch, which thankfully passed without incident. With some spare time before court restarted, she went to go admire the castle gardens, as the falling leaves made for a beautiful scene. The surprise activation of the sprinkler system, however, detracted from the natural beauty and also served to soak the poor princess. Now beginning to get slightly miffed, she dried off and headed back to day court. After all, things couldn't get any worse, right?

Day court resumed, and Celestia couldn't focus. The proposals for new laws came, but they were in a haze to her, and it was all because of this blasted cushion! Something was wrong with it. She couldn't tell what, but she was simply incapable of getting comfortable on it. So, as the nobles droned on about zoning laws and the economy, Princess Celestia Solaire, moved of the Sun, shifted uncomfortably in her throne while trying to focus. It wasn't working.

Court was adjourned and the first thing Celestia did was take the cushion over to the trash and rip it open to see what the issue was. She could feel her anger growing as two dozen ball bearings tumbled out of the cotton filling and into the waiting trash bin. Making a mental note to find Nick and Luna later and pay them back in kind, she went to her office to finish the day's paperwork.

Yet even the tedium of paperwork was not beyond the reach of a certain pair of pranksters. As soon as she entered the room, she checked the cushion she sat on, the walls, the doorframe, even her teacup. Nothing. Finally satisfied, she sat down, and plopped the ten-pound stack of papers onto her desk.

And then the loosened screws of the desk gave way under the sudden impact, and the entire desk collapsed, sending papers flying everywhere. Her eye twitched. It took an extra hour to sort everything, and she had to work in one of the conference rooms until her desk could be replaced, but she was still holding strong. She would not break so easily under such common pranks; they needed to think bigger of they wanted a reaction from her.

After a delightful dinner with no incidents, Celestia had an evening to herself. Asking around, she discovered that nopony had seen Nick or Luna all day, but had heard they had been working on an invisibility potion in the alchemy lab of the castle. Now knowing that she may be under their gaze, she made sure to be extra careful that evening. Knowing Twilight was visiting, she decided reading in the library would be a good idea, as both knew not to incur the wrath of the egghead. She swore she heard a sigh of defeat as she entered the library.

Finally, her day finished, and its endless string of unimaginative pranks ended, she went back to her room and lowered the sun. Smiling as she washed up, she had a thought that perhaps it wasn't over yet. So she checked the cushions on the seats and her pillow. Nothing. She checked the bed. Sturdy as ever. The faucets? No leaks or tampering. She even checked the sheets for itching powder. Nothing. Finally satisfied the there were no more pranks, she laid down in bed and rolled over to get a good night's sleep...

And fell victim to the oldest prank of all.

*frrrrt*

Whoopee Cushions are easy to hide inside mattresses, after all.

Author's Note:

Today's challenge to myself was to write a chapter with no dialogue and only one of the three main characters present.

I also decided to bombard Celestia with all my ideas that were too short for a full chapter. Sorry Celly, we still love you.

PreviousChapters Next