• Published 25th Sep 2018
  • 11,397 Views, 2,116 Comments

Prank War! - Ashfur



A crafty human and two alicorn princesses get into shenanigans together.

  • ...
12
 2,116
 11,397

PreviousChapters Next
...Give Me Something Sweet To Bite!

Author's Note:

God, I wish I could art so I could fanart this, or draw it, or something.

Regardless, I couldn't decide on a song for the chase scene, so here are a few options!
Song Songs Song Song

In the middle of the night, not many things make a noise in Canterlot Castle. A few night owls might be up and the night guard was a common yet silent presence, but tonight there was not a single sound in the halls. It was peaceful, soothing, almost otherworldy.

"LIKE, GANGWAY!"

Or at least it was, until Nick barreled through the moonlit hall, carrying a costumed pegasus with a very irate alicorn hot on his heels. Nightmare Moon galloped forward to match the human step for step, and it seemed there was no escape. Suddenly, Nick tripped over a conveniently placed pumpkin, dropping to the ground in a slide. His pursuer jumped over him in time, but Nick and Fluttershy used the opportunity to rush into a nearby dark room as Nightmare scrambled to turn and continue the chase.

She burst into the room menacingly, eyes tracing the tea room for any sign of movement. A suit of armor, a table, the drapes... she ripped the tablecloth off the table to find nothing, and checking the drapes revealed the same. So, she marched on to the door on the other side of the room.

"Achoo!" "Shhh!"

Nightmare looked up. There, hanging on the chandelier, was Nick and Fluttershy, with Nick pressing a finger against her snout in a failed attempt to stifle her sneeze. "Oh. Uh. They went that way." He pointed towards the other door.

Nightmare trotted towards the door as the duo scrambled for the other door. "Ah, thank you, whelp. We will ensure your death is swift and- WAIT A SECOND!" She turned and lunged for them, but got a facefull of door instead. Nick and Fluttershy took the opportunity to dash down the hallway. Nightmare followed suit, stopping at an intersection to try and see which way they went. Deciding on a direction, she ran off.

Nick poked his head out of a large potted plant, and Fluttershy stepped out from behind a pegasus statue. "D-do you think we lost her, Nick?"

"Yeah, but I have a feeling we'll run into her again. Let's move!"

Elsewhere in the castle, Nightmare had caught up with Twilight, who was being quite the nuisance by abusing teleportation and flight to try and outmaneuver the enraged princess of everlasting night. Their chase led them to the gardens, where Nightmare Moon chased Twilight through some shrubbery into the hedge maze. This resulted in a brand new shortcut through the walls of the maze, making it incredibly easy to navigate. By the time they exited, there were only four giant bundles of leaves and branches.
One pile shuffled and a swarm of squirrels scamper awy, leaving three. Another lifted up to reveal a very irate gardener pony, who dashed back into the maze to try and fix things. The third shuffled and both Twilight and Nightmare Moon poked their heads out in opposite directions, and the last pile was blown away by the wind revealing nothing. Both ponies breathed a sigh of relief before turning and ending up muzzle-to-muzzle, and after only a moment's hesitation they galloped off, the chase beginning anew.

Meanwhile, Nick and Fluttershy rounded a corner only to run full force into another pony, knocking them into a pile.

"Twilight? Where the heck did you run off to?"

"Nick! And Fluttershy? I thought I lost you! I was being chased by Nightmare Moon! I only got away by teleporting and flying!"

"We were being chased by her too!"

"Wait, you saw her nearby?" Before Nick could answer, the holiday's namesake barreled around the corner at the end of the hall. The three only managed to avoid capture by Twilight quickly flinging a tapestry over the villain, and the trio made a quick getaway while Noghtmare extracted herself from the fabric trappings.


"I have a plan."

"Sister, this is not going to work the way thou intends it to."

"Oh come on now Luna, when have I ever ruined a trap before? I prank you and Nick all the time."

"Sister, this is Nightmare Moon, or at least an imposter, we are talking about. Modeling a trap after the late Rube Goldbray is not going to catch us an alicorn impersonator."

"But it's foolproof!" Celestia whined. "Look, we convince Nick to lead Nightmare down this hallway, and he stops at the last second so Nightmare slips on these ball bearings and soap! Then she slides down the hall into that statue holding the enchanted net, and we pull this rope to drop it on her and catch her! How is this a bad idea?"

"Tis one because... wait. Dost thou hear something?"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"Sister, did thou just see-"

Celestia interrupted Luna. "Nick carrying Twilight and Fluttershy while being chased by Nightmare Moon run past? Yes. Get in position, I think they are going to circle back around!"

Sure enough, the ridiculous chase came rushing right towards them. As Celestia attempted to sidestep out of the way, however, Nick plowed into her at top speed while Nightmare Moon impacted Luna. The mass of ponies and human tumbled across the slippery floor and into the statue, their combined momentum knocking them into the net. Slipping on the floor again as they scrambled to get free, the crew all slid out onto a nearby balcony and fell into the moat as one.

Nick was the first to surface, followed by Twilight. Then Luna and Fluttershy, with Celestia joining last. They dragged the net to shore, and found the broken form of Nightmare moon still in it, her wing broken to reveal wood and wires controlling the limb like a puppet.

"Ow... did we win? I think we won," Nick commented. "So... who is it?"

"Given the yellow hair I found earlier..." Celestia began.

"Oh! And I found haunting plans that avoided a specific room in the royal suites. It MUST be Blueblood, trying to get us back!"

Suddenly, the broken alicorn costume coughed in two places, and the incredibly detailed fabric fell apart revealing the culprit. Or more specifically...

"RAINBOW DASH AND PINKIE PIE?!" They all yelled.

"Wait!" Cried Nick. "While that might explain the yellow hair," he motioned to the yellow part of Rainbow's mane, "Pinkie said she had her Pinkie costume stolen. So maybe this is a dash costume too!" Gripping the two soaked ponies' manes, he pulled off their masks revealing Rainbow dash and Pinkie Pie to actually be...

"PINKIE PIE AND RAINBOW DASH?!"

"Curses! And we would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling mares and your stupid human!" Pinkie could barely keep herself from laughing as she lamented her loss, ultimately descending into a fit of giggles.

"Well that's the most inefficient disguise ever for spooking, going as each other," Nick added. "Hey Flutters, come here a second. I got a favor to ask." He leaned over and whispered in her ear.

"But what about the missing room on your plans?" Begged Twilight.

Pinkie spoke up again. "Because that's Blueblood's room. And Blueblood's room has... ugh... oatmeal raisin cookies! Bleh!"

"But why go through all this trouble?" Inquired Celestia.

"We heard you guys were having a prank war, and we wanted to join in! Nopony pranks better or awesomer than we do!" Boasted Rainbow Dash.

"Be that as it may, Rainbow, thou still have aot to answer for. However, we suppose we can be lenient for giving us the best Nightmare Night yet. Perhaps we will simply ask for thy help cleaning up, and invite the two of you to join in our prank war in the future."

"We'd love to!" Pinkie cheered excitedly.

"Still," Nick concluded, "we caught the 'monster' and unmasked them. I say we celebrate. Is there a malt shop nearby? Oh, and 'Shy? Go ahead."

Fluttershy stood in front of them all and spoke, with Nick following up quickly.

"Um... Shudder-Flutter-Doo!"

"And the Prank Crew, too! HAPPY HALLOWEEN, EVERYPONY!"

PreviousChapters Next