• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,382 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,382

PreviousChapters Next
June 18 [Back Home]

June 18

I'd forgotten until I woke up that Wisconsin is in a different timezone than Michigan, which didn't make a whole lot of sense, 'cause we'd gone back east on our way south. And it didn't feel like the sunrise was that different than it had been before, either, but when Aric looked at his pocket telephone he muttered something about it not even being seven yet and then ran his hand through my mane and fell back asleep.

We weren't going to make it to the boat if we kept delaying, but there wasn't anything I could do to help, so I let him sleep a little bit longer and then started pushing him with a hoof until he woke up. Then when that didn't work—he was awake, but pretended not to be—I started tickling him with a wing and reminded him that we couldn't miss the boat.

He finally put on his clothes and got out of Winston, and then after a stop at the bathroom, we got in the front and drove out of the park.

He used his pocket telephone for directions, which was the first time he'd done that all trip, because it was the first time that we were going somewhere really specific. And it told him that it was less than an hour, and then I felt bad for having been so insistent at waking him up, especially since he'd been up late driving when I was sleeping.

I thought about offering to drive, but I don't think he would have let me anyway.

He said that the road we were on, the 10 Highway, was special because it was one of the only US routes that had a ferry as part of it. He said that he was pretty sure there was another one, but he didn't know where it was. And he said that there had been others, but most of them now had bridges instead of boats and theoretically they could build a bridge or a tunnel to get across Lake Michigan but it would be too expensive.

He also said that he had read a story once about a tunnel being dug from Benton Harbor to Chicago, but that he didn't think anybody had ever seriously considered it.

It didn't even take us an hour until we were in Manitowac, and then we drove around looking for a restaurant. He didn't want to eat at a fast food restaurant and was sure that there would be family restaurants in town, but they were harder to find 'cause they didn't have big signs, and he said that his GPS was biased against them.

He found one called Shooter Malone's, which he said looked like a bar but if it was a bar why was it open so early? And then he said that maybe it hadn't closed yet, or else in Wisconsin they got to drinking really early in the morning, and decided that it was worth trying out.

He was even more surprised when he looked at the menu that they had breakfast food, and decided that since we were here we might as well eat here, so we picked a booth by a window and we both had omelets and pancakes.

The waiter was really interested in talking to me, and I think that if he hadn't had other tables to wait on he would have spent the whole meal with us. And then when he brought us the bill he said that he had comped the coffee, which meant that we didn't have to pay for it. So Aric left him a really big tip, and as we were leaving I gave him a hug, which he wasn't expecting.

It was kind of nice to have had something other than oatmeal for breakfast, but at the same time it felt kind of weird to change what had been a routine. I'd gotten so used to helping Aric get firewood and then making a fire and boiling water and then having breakfast by the fire and this was just another reminder that our trip was almost over, and then he'd be gone to Lafayette.

We were about to cross the river so we could get to where the ferry would be, when Aric saw a sign for the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, and we went there, since we still had a few hours before the ferry would arrive.

They had a room where we could play with little boats and send them through little Soo Locks, which was a lot of fun, and they also had a bunch of wooden fish carvings which were so detailed it looked like they were real. And there was another room which showed the history of boats in Wisconsin and on the Great Lakes, all the way from canoes that the Indians had made out of bark and up to the modern freighters.

Aric laughed when he saw that there was a display of the Edmund Fitzgerald—he said that he supposed it was a requirement for any museum on the Great Lakes, and I thought it was interesting because even though it said the same stuff as the museum at Whitefish Point, there was another little model of it and more pictures of the wreck on the bottom of the lake.

There was an actual steam engine from a ship called the Chief Wawatam, and we could make it operate but all it did was turn. And then there was also a display about a submarine, which was a ship that could go under the water. It said that it had been built in Manitowoc, along with over two dozen more submarines, and Aric said that he hadn't known that any subs had been built in the Great Lakes but it made sense. He said he thought they were all built in Groton, then he told me how during World War Two, lots of factories had to make things for the war effort and it made sense that there were shipyards on the Great Lakes that could build boats.

Then he said it was kind of funny to imagine submarines in the Great Lakes.

They had another room inside that talked about another submarine called the Cobia, which was tied up outside and we could go on a tour of it.

I thought that would be fun, and so did he, so we first looked at the displays and learned a bit about it, then we went on board.

I'd been on a couple of ships before, and this was a lot bigger than any pony ship, so I thought it would be spacious inside.

I was wrong.

Every little bit of it was crammed full of pipes and wires and machines and I guess it must be really complicated to make a ship that can go under the water and not sink, but I wasn't sure why they hadn't made it bigger.

There were doors between the rooms and they had a big lip at the bottom that you had to step over, and almost everyone had to duck to get under the top, too, and those were there so if the ship got damaged and started to leak it wouldn't sink.

The rooms for the crew were tiny, and their bathroom and shower was smaller than the shower stall in the bathroom in my dorm. People had to press up against the wall so that they could pass each other, and it was hard to think who would willingly go to sea in this. Five minutes after we went in, I wanted nothing more than to get back out, and I think if I hadn't been there with Aric—who was really interested in it—I would have just left and gone back to where I could see and feel the sky.

I wasn't the only one who felt that way, either: most of the other people on the tour said how small it was and how they couldn't imagine being in it for weeks or months at a time.

I was really happy when we got back out and I said that if the car ferry was that cramped, I'd find some other way to get home. Aric promised me it wouldn't be, and he said that we could go up on the decks and be out in the open on the ferry.

And then he pointed to a sign that said there was an overnight program where you could pay to sleep on the submarine, and asked if that sounded like fun. I shook my head and said that the time we'd spent on the submarine already was more than enough for me.

On the way out of the museum, we stopped in the store and he bought a book about the Carl D. Bradley shipwreck as told by one of the survivors, and said that he thought it would be really interesting to read. And he promised me that when he was done reading it he'd loan it to me. I was really curious about it, because that had been one of the ships that there was a display about, and it was sailing on its last trip of the season before wintering right here in Manitowoc.

I thought that maybe it would be bad luck to have a book about a shipwreck when we were on a ship, and he said that maybe it was tempting fate, but he was willing to risk it. It was a beautiful day and the lake was calm, and he said that the Badger had been sailing across Lake Michigan for fifty years or more.

While we were on our way to the ship, he pointed to a big black pile which he said was probably coal for the Badger, because that was what it used for fuel. He said that there were similar coal-piles outside power plants, and he didn't see anything else around that it could have been for. When I asked him why it was so big, he said that it wouldn't surprise him if they ordered it by the shipload, and then just piled it up there for the whole season. He said it wouldn't go bad being outside, and it was probably a lot cheaper when you ordered it in ten thousand tons at a time.

It hadn't arrived yet, so we just parked and waited. Aric fell asleep, but I kept a watch out on the lake, and pretty soon I saw it off in the distance.

It took a while for it to get to shore—I'd made the assumption that it was a lot smaller than it really was, even though I should have known better, 'cause of how big the other lake freighters had been. Aric was awake by the time it came into port, and we had to wait while all the cars and trucks that were on it drove off, which didn't take all that long, and then it was our turn to go on.

The deck where we parked was a lot taller than it needed to be, and Aric said that was because it used to carry trains. I liked it, because it didn't feel nearly as crowded as the submarine, even though there were lots of cars parked on it.

We got out and went to the upper decks, and walked around looking at what scenery we could see while it was in port. The submarine was right across the river, and it was funny how big it had looked when I first set eyes on it, but it was tiny compared to the Badger.

We hadn't even finished our exploration when the ship got under way, and we both went to the stern and looked at Wisconsin fading in the distance, until we couldn't see it any more. Then we went up front to the bow, and we couldn't see Michigan, either.

Then Aric started to get a little bit uneasy, and he said that he had never been out of sight of land on the Great Lakes. I thought about how I didn't like closed spaces where I wasn't near the open sky, and maybe he didn't like big open spaces which were away from land which I guess made sense, so I suggested that we could go inside and he could not look out the windows until we could see Michigan.

He did look out the windows, though, but he said that he felt more comfortable being inside. And they had a bar, so he bought a beer and said that I could go outside if I wanted.

Well, I did want to, but I didn't want to leave him alone, and besides there would be time once we saw land again, so I stayed with him and helped him drink his beer. And then he said that he wanted to order another one, but maybe that wasn't so smart since he still had to drive home.

I kept going outside to check and see if there was land in sight, and eventually I saw it for sure, so I went back inside and got him and we stood towards the bow and watched as Michigan got closer and closer.

The ship had to go farther inland to dock, between a pair of long jetties. Aric said that maybe because the weather almost always went from the west to the east, they had to do more to protect the harbor on the east side of the lake.

And when we got into the harbor, he pointed to another ship that was just like the Badger, and he said that was the Spartan, which was out of service but kept for spare parts. And I asked him if that was what the other truck in his driveway was for, and he said that he did plan to get it running again one of these days but admitted that it was useful for spares, as well.

We stayed up top while they tied up, then went back down to Winston, and drove out of the back of the ship.

This time he didn't take back roads, and we got back to Kalamazoo before nightfall, which was kind of a shame. I wouldn't have minded getting back later.

He said that we could stay at my apartment for the night, but he would have to get up right away in the morning so that he could load up his things and get down to Lafayette because he had to be there by Monday morning, and there would be a little bit of setting up his new apartment and it was a seven hour drive to get there.

So we ordered pizza and ate it while snuggled up on my futon, and then he folded it down into a bed and I helped him get undressed and pretty soon we were competing for who was going to be on top and I won.

PreviousChapters Next