• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 2,577 Views, 76 Comments

The One Week Year - HapHazred



Fillydelphia's in trouble! A wildfire ravages Wheatland Farms, and thousands of ponies are facing starvation! One mare has a daring plan, but for it to work, she needs the help of her friends, and most of all, a pegasus as stubborn as her...

  • ...
12
 76
 2,577

Day 8

"Extra, extra! Read all about it!"

It was to this chorus that the ponies of Equestria danced every morning. Newspapers traded hooves on the street, at coffee shops, train stations, and at work. In households, the paper would be divvied up and scattered across the members of the family. But the news, ah, the news was discussed around breakfast tables, in living rooms, and at work.

One name was on everypony's lips: Sweet Apple Acres.

Everypony with a newspaper was more than familiar with the name, but things had escalated from speculation to celebration. It was no longer a matter of wondering whether they could succeed or not, but of spreading the word that they had.

Sweet Apple Acres. It meant a lot of things, now. Once, it meant providing the best apples come rain or fair weather. Now, it meant providing the best apples come heaven or hell. It didn't mean security. It didn't mean being able to go into a store and knowing that's what you'd find. It meant guardian angel. It meant moving mountains for the good of Equestria.

Newspapers crossed hooves all across the country. But in Fillydelphia, it was apples that were being traded like hot cakes, and that was better news than any story column.

But even though Sweet Apple Acres was a name everypony now knew, two names were less widespread. Oh, many would recognize them for their exploits across the world. But right now, their names were drowned out by the name of the farm that saved a city.

But those who did know the names, those who knew what they had given to make everything possible, wondered.

They wondered: where are they? And more importantly, when would they be back?

Rainbow turned on her side. She was in her own bed. She could tell: beneath her head was a soft pillow, and her shoulders were wrapped in a thick blanket. She had to be home. There was no other explanation.

She grunted as she felt pain flare up her sides, and her hind leg.

The hurricane.

She tried to move, residual panic from the night before taking over. Her blanket and pillow tightened around her, keeping her still.

"Hush, now. Ya'll got mighty banged up, sugarcube," her pillow said, leaning close to Rainbow's ear.

Not a pillow. Applejack. Not her bed. A quick, makeshift shelter under the upturned cart. Not a blanket: Applejack's foreleg, wrapped around Rainbow's body to keep her warm.

"What happened?" Rainbow asked, letting herself be calmed by the sweet, warm feeling of Applejack's flesh against her own. "How many carts made it out? How many did we lose?"

Applejack pulled Rainbow closer, smiling broadly. "We only lost this one. The others all made it out."

Rainbow's eyes widened, surprise taking over. "All of them?"

"All of them," Applejack replied, happiness creeping across her eyes, softening her every feature. "You did real good."

Rainbow tried sitting up, but realized her sides hurt too much to manage it. Applejack gave her a quick lift, propping her injured body against her own. Rainbow got a good look at her leg: a thick, harsh friction burn circled her hoof. Her sides were bruised black, and her head throbbed like it had been sunk into a freezer.

"I think I passed out," she admitted. It was a lie: she knew she had passed out. Whether from flying, or from knocking her head, she wasn't sure. Both, probably.

"You did," Applejack said. "I found you in the hurricane. You'd be on the ground one minute, then torn right back up to be crushed 'gainst the ground the next." Rainbow felt Applejack's grip tighten. "I've never been quite that afraid."

"And the friction burn?" Rainbow asked, gesturing at her hoof.

"I lassoed you in. Pulled you into this here cart. Then I just waited out the storm."

Rainbow examined her injured hoof. "Thanks."

"I'm sorry it hurt. I just... didn't know how else to get you down. Your wings were actin' like kites, and I wasn't fast 'nough to..."

"Oh, I meant it," Rainbow said, flashing her a smile. "I could have been smashed to pieces if you hadn't."

Applejack returned the smile. The pair sat in silence for a moment. Beyond the safety of the cart, she could hear birds singing. Autumn leaves, torn up by the wind, danced across the ground. Wherever the storm had gone, it was no longer there. The weather had thrown its tantrum at being used and bent to the will of mere ponies, and now it had gone to its room to sulk. The morning sunlight crept from behind the clouds, flashing across the grey countryside.

Applejack took a deep breath, her chest rising.

"So... about what we talked about last night?" she began, careful to avoid tripping on her words. Rainbow nodded.

"I remember," she said. "I think I feel the same way."

Applejack's stomach jumped into her throat. "Really?"

"Yup," Rainbow replied. "I only pass out for really special ponies."

Applejack stifled a laugh. "I guess that's about right," she said. "Celebration drinks in Filly, then?"

"You bet," Rainbow replied, a faraway look on her face. "It's a date."

Both ponies let themselves relax. Rainbow still winced from her injuries, but they felt like worthwhile pain. Like aching after a work-out. They didn't matter, because you had gained something in exchange. In this case, something wonderful.

Both ponies heard a knocking sound on the side of the cart. Applejack sat up, eliciting a yelp from Rainbow.

"Hello?" she asked.

"So this is where ya'll have been hidin' out," came Braeburn's familiar voice, followed by his gleeful expression as he popped his head around the outside of the cart. "I thought you'd have found someplace safe to wait the storm out."

Barrelling past him came Big Macintosh, who snatched his sister up in a bear-hug, squeezing the life from her. Rainbow toppled to the side, wincing from the pain in her sides. "Ow!"

"Ugh... air..." Applejack grunted.

Braeburn knelt over Rainbow Dash. "You okay there, partner?"

"I might have broken things."

Braeburn gestured behind him. "That's fine: we came prepared."

Two doctors arrived with a stretcher. Applejack finally disentangled herself from Big Macintosh's grip. "Okay! I'm fine, ya'll can let go."

"Sweet! A stretcher," Rainbow exclaimed. "Just what I wanted."

Braeburn chuckled. "You don't look all that bad," he said. "I'm sure you'll be up and at 'em in no time."

"There's a whole crowd waiting for you back in Fillydelphia, miss Applejack," one of the doctors said. "We're all very grateful for what you've done."

Applejack blushed. "It were a team effort," she said. Big Macintosh handed her back her hat, which she slapped back on her unwashed mane. "We all pulled through in the end."

The group stepped outside of the makeshift shelter, revealing an ambulance cart. Twilight was there too, relief plain as day on her face. Applejack raised her head as she breathed in the fresh morning air.

"It's autumn," she said. "And it'll be autumn tomorrow."

What a nice thing to say, she thought to herself. It'd be nice to not have to spill sweat, blood, and tears over changing the weather in a day.

"Come on," Twilight said. "Let's get you to Fillydelphia."

Apple stands stretched as far as the eye could see. There were apple pies, apple treats, candy apples, and of course, the original, natural, Sweet Apple Acres apple in all its uncooked, unchanged glory. Applejack reckoned they'd get sick of them pretty soon... but for now, each and every one was amazing.

The warehouses towered in the distance, giant temples dedicated to preserving the fruit that had arrived in the city's time of need.

Rainbow limped after Applejack, her sides and leg in bandages. Her eyes span from one side of the street to the other.

"This is awesome," she said.

The sunlight poured from behind grey clouds, bathing the streets in strands of yellow light. The majestic concrete buildings were like an orchard all of its own, with ponies instead of fruit. And those ponies were all looking at Applejack and Rainbow.

It didn't take a genius to figure out who had been in charge of the whole ordeal. Everypony knew from how the ponies in charge of the apple stands tipped their heads towards the pair. From how mister Wheatland, overseeing the market square, gave them a little bow as they passed.

"Three cheers for Applejack!" came a shout. It was repeated just enough for it to turn into a roar. The crowd all looked towards the mare who made a year into a week, and cheered.

Applejack couldn't remember being happier.

"We did it," she muttered.

"It was your idea," Rainbow said, nuzzling her friend. "I'm just the pegasus who knew it was a crazy plan and still went along with it."

Applejack pulled Rainbow in as close as she could, their chests touching. Rainbow craned her neck back to avoid knocking heads with Applejack. Their manes brushed against their noses.

"I couldn't have done it without my crazy pegasus, though," Applejack said, and leaned in for a repeat performance of the night before.

This time, there wasn't any wind to get in the way. There was just Rainbow, Applejack, and a whole lot of cheering.

The End

Author's Note:

And that there is the end of the story. I hope you enjoyed the ride. This is probably the story I worked hardest on, and it was a blast to write.

If you enjoyed the story, please upvote (as that helps it get noticed by other people who will hopefully enjoy it) and of course, feel free to comment with criticism, thoughts, or just to post cute pictures of cats. I like cats.

Also, a big shoutout to the 4th (I think it's the fourth, but I always forget) AppleDash contest on the AppleDash group. There's sure to be plenty of cool stories over there, and I'd recommend you check out my competition!

Thank you very much for reading, and have a good one. Cheerio!

Comments ( 48 )

Welp, that was amazing. Pat yourself on the back author, you've earned it. That ride was hype as fuck.

6710537 A happy accident only, I'm afraid.

6711616 For that?

I think I can conjure up better puns than that, and even if I can't, I'm sure I'll be able to weather the damage done to my ego. I don't spend all my time yearning to put as many word-jokes as I can in my titles and comments.

Wow. One of the craziest plots I've ever read (and I've read about squirrels trying to invade minds) and yet so brilliantly executed! The plot, the characterisation, the writing as a whole... Practically perfect in every way. All I can say is you ought to celebrate for the next year - or at least a week - because heck if you don't deserve it.

6712114 That's quite glowing praise. Cheers! I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

6718794 Weather confuses me

Glad you enjoyed the story! Sorry I know nothing about storms and stuff!

I hope this wins the competition! An excellent story, brilliant! Kudos for a brilliant job! Gah! This is too awesome!

I'm going to comment twice, because this story deserves it. Instead of just spouting my admiration this time, I'll quickly run through what I liked about this story:

- Everything works the way it would in Equestria. A shorthand way of saying all the characters, settings and events feel both real and tangible.
- The pacing is just right. I commented on the first chapter saying it felt a bit rushed, but that sense of urgency really hit home in the second chapter and the pacing clicked for me. While maybe the story could benefit from going into more detail of the tornado, I feel it's pacing is perfect having read the entire story.
- The ending tied the whole thing together. It sticks in my head as one of the best endings I've read, because it is open about rewarding the reader for sticking around.

Again, kudos and good luck!

6719628 Cheerio! I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

6723729 Yeah, but she got Applejack.

Best reward of all for hard work.

So, I found this item. Usually it's a chapter, concept, or a small piece of it that earns likes and favorites from me. :twilightsmile:
This whole ball of epic, though... From the first world to the last... it is an incredible thing for me. :pinkiegasp:

The concepts, the characterization between RD and AJ, the growing sentiments and affection between them as their epic week progresses... Pacing was also really good. The whole story earns the like and the favorite from me! (And that's a rare thing!) :pinkiehappy:

Based on that alone, I did a quick rundown of your other stories. A few have earned likes from me as well, and a few others I'll likely need to read or reread...

So to aid in this, I will be adding those stories I haven't read yet to my 'read later list'. I am also now stalking you in the form of a follow for all future stories.

You have my attention. :pinkiesmile:
...my...undivided....attention... :pinkiecrazy:
:pinkiehappy:

6763064 That's quite glowing praise. Thank you.

Writing style kinda reminds me of the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld: One hairbrained scheme after the other .

It caught my attention, held it, and never let go. Liked and faved

6777657 I'm not familiar with that author, I'm afraid. He sounds like he's done some decent work, though!

Thanks for reading. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

As a life long book addict, I can confidently say that there are highly praised published authors who can't hold a candle to you, and to this story in particular. The romance, the plot, the mechanics - the entire story was one perfectly executed plot point after another!

In conclusion, thank you so much for writing this.

6826493 Ah yes, but do those highly praised authors have ponies?

I didn't think so. See, the odds were stacked in my favour all along! Ponies make everything better.

6826565
Ponies do improve everything, don't they?

6828080 Most things, yeah.

Truth be told, I am particularly happy with this story, though, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reminded me a lot of Rainbow Typhoon, really.

Not a bad thing at all, either. I liked that fic a lot. Same as this one.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Oh yeah.

"Judgement pending".

~Skeeter The Lurker

6847130 Never heard of Rainbow Typhoon, I'm afraid. I may have to check it out if it's similar to this one.

Not, uh, sure what Judgement Pending means, but I'm sure it'll be lovely! I love judgements!

6847178 Ah, that'll be why. Came out a while ago.

I'm afraid I'm of the 'arrived in 2014' variety. There are loads of pre-14 stories that I've simply never heard of. (Not that I'm generally aware of stuff that doesn't get handed to me on a silver platter).

I'll see about reading it, if I have time. I've always had a soft spot for the whole 'going up against insurmountable odds' kind of deal. Why, one of my current projects involves RD winning a race against teleportation.

6847185

Why, one of my current projects involves RD winning a race against teleportation.

SOLD.

~Skeeter The Lurker

6847194 Well, we'll have to see if I can finish the bloody thing first.

Projects are like bananas. You start with a bunch but they go pooey brown in no time.

Oh no!

All the cool little page breaks you used are broken because of the blacklisting.

~Skeeter The Lurker

6933491 I noticed, but I've been too busy building robots to fix them! I'll get around to it soon, I promise.

6951759 Glad you like it so far! Can't wait to hear what you think about the rest.

6956427 I actually forget whether my corner of the world needs an s or not. I generally try to stick to the british way on account of it being vastly superior in every regard, and everybody needs more 'u's in their life (suck it Shining Armour). (EDIT: and then I completely missed the spelling mistake you were trying to point out! Whoops!)

I'll have to check what to do about that s.

On another note, the horizontal rules are fixed! Y'know, I originally started using them because for a while, the site horizontal rule didn't show up if you had a slightly darker display. It was quite ironic when they disappeared, failing at the one thing they were supposed to do in the first place: be visible.

6956473 I teach English as a Second Language, so when my students spell things British style, I let them know the difference, but I don't tell them its wrong. I figure the world's big enough for some alternate spellings. :twilightsmile:

By the way, I recently found out that if you reply to someone's comment on your story without going to the same chapter they commented on, they won't get notified. In fact, I only found your reply because I saw it at the end of this chapter. (One of my readers clued me in to that.) :twilightsheepish: Really sucks if they comment on an older chapter instead of the most up-to-date chapter.

One more minor nitpick before my final review of the story, and it's not even a real nitpick: I noticed that the second to last chapter has some weird thing where the last, say, half of the chapter is entirely centered. Not sure why.

Okay, so here's what I thought: I really loved it. Quite simply, this was an invigorating read. I expected a happy ending, but with the payoff of Granny Smith's warning ending in that hurricane, I wasn't entirely certain that this wouldn't end up a tragedy after all. The shipping felt natural, it was really sweet, and didn't get in the way of spinning a good yarn. The story itself really shines, with the tension coming back in full force after the quieter chapter (I guess I was right about it being the calm before the storm... literally so in this case) and the characters being all kinds of awesome. Applejack's determination and Rainbow's defiance of physics was excellent and very true to the characters. Overall, I'd say it was a damn good read and I'm a little sorry I didn't see it when it came out, or else I would have put it on my Top 10 of 2015 (no offense to "The Bully is Back," mind you, but I think this one edges it out).

Anyway, have a fave and a hearty thanks for the kickass story. :rainbowdetermined2:

6959389 Yeah, I make fun of the non-brits for doing it wrong, but at the end of the day, if it works, it works, and I'm cool with that.

Thanks for pointing out the centered thing: when I was going over the horizontal rules, I missed out one of the ['s, so it carried over a large patch of text. It should be fixed now.

Yeah, I'm supremely proud of this story. Usually I try to focus on one or two things for my stories, but this one was more supposed to be a culmination of everything I had learned since my last 'culmination' story (which is Bully is Back, incidentally). I don't really have favourite stories per se, since I more just have favourite bits of stories that are peppered throughout my work, but I appreciate this one for the effort I put into it the most.

In any case, you're certainly welcome, and I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

This was a wild ride and I enjoyed every minute of it. Certainly worth a read, I'm glad I stumbled across it. I'm not even a fan of AppleDash and I still found it refreshing and well put. Nice work buddy.

7015137 Thanks! I'm really proud of this one. Very glad you enjoyed it!

7026238 Imgur has a lot to answer for. I thought I fixed all of them.

Looks like chapter 1 escaped my purging, however.

This story seemed promising from the description alone. The idea was original, the execution sound and solid. No crazyness, no plot holes, no loose ends.
I especially like how it didn't leave out anything important. For most fanfictions, little details get overlooked, like Rainbow actually having a pet she cares about. A lot of fics just ignore tank. Also, every pony did their part and while some were less involved than others, they were all present in a reasonable state. No "Twilight fixes everything with magic" or "Rarity, for some reasons, helps out on a farm even though she's a fashion designer".

Celestia showing up to help? Eh.... Well, we have enough fanfictions where the royal "non-interference policy" causes major problems that could easily be avoided, so yeah, fine by me. I also loved the way you explained how the pegasi actually handled the weather, by either passing it on or taking it from somewhere else. In most fanfictions they just seem to be able to conjure them up out of thin air. But hey, they're led by a pony who's canon-established speed would be ten times the speed of sound, so I don't think I care too much about the canon in that regard.

All round very well done, very enjoyable, and definitely worth a second read.

7039508 Awesome! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

6826493

... that. So much that!

This was... intense. Certainly one of the best stories I read so far - so I guess I've to reorganize my top five now. Wow.

I hope you enjoyed the ride. This is probably the story I worked hardest on, and it was a blast to write.

I most certainly did and it's rather easy to read that you had fun, too. Just as things should be - everyone, including the writer, enjoying a good time.
Although, after reading quite a lot of your precious work, I shouldn't be surprised by it anymore, I still am - the fact that you're writing those two in such a downright perfect manner. Come to think of it - it's not only about those two. It's about all of them. Each and every single character. This was a hell of a ride and I couldn't put it down once I started. I actually read through it in half the time I usually take for a story of this length. Wow.

Thank you. Thank you oh so very much! :twilightsmile:

Hi there! I've reviewed this story on my blog. If you're curious, you can see my thoughts on it here. :pinkiesmile:

Great read. :) was hooked from start to finish.

Having read this story, my only regret is that I didn't read it sooner.

7882901 Cheers. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Fantastic work. I regret not reading this for so long, but I'm glad I finally did.

9359841 Cheers. I remain very proud of this particular story, if I'm honest.

10048581 Nice!

This story remains one of my favourites that I wrote, and there are a few stories that I want to write that I don't, because I feel they're kind of re-treading what I tried here. Glad you seemed to enjoy it!

Just read this again. A great story of grit and determination for all the best reasons (love included!), telling a tight story that holds up very well to a second go.

11661127 Cheers. I still really enjoy OWY, and writing it is one of my fondest fimfiction memories.

Login or register to comment