• Published 6th Nov 2015
  • 14,875 Views, 2,456 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - The Chrysalis - Phoenix_Dragon



A changeling wakes to a wasteland where love is dead.

  • ...
29
 2,456
 14,875
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 280 )

And there it is. Three years and more than half a million words later, Whisper's journey to find a future for her hive finally comes to an end. It feels so strange for it to be done. Writing this has been a joy of mine for literally years now; I'm so happy to have finally finished it, yet sad that it's over.

I want to thank all of you who have followed along through this long trek through the Wasteland. I wrote because I enjoy writing, and because this was an idea that stuck in my brain and refused to leave by any means other than writing. I'd still write, even if nobody was reading, because I enjoy it... but knowing that other people have enjoyed my stories has made it even more enjoyable. :twilightsmile:

About the epilogue: a few months ago, when I was getting to the point of thinking seriously on the details of the end of the story, I also finished another run in Fallout 4 (A mod-overhauled "Starlight" play-through focusing on energy-weapon sniping and scavenging). It got me to thinking about how all the previous Fallout games had the end-game slides talking about what happened throughout the world in the aftermath of the game events. The first half of the epilogue was added (And a few things tweaked on either side) to emulate that, as something of a homage to the games, and I think it made for a better ending than I had originally planned.

I'll also be posting a journal shortly (Edit: it's up now), where I'll talk a bit about some behind-the-scenes stuff.

So... that's really it. Wow. It's still a bit hard to believe this is really the end. Switching this over to "completed" is one of those things that I always knew would eventually come, but was always sometime in the distant future. Now it's time to press the button.

I hope you all enjoy it. I know I have. :twilightsmile:

9233456
Litterally ended reading some Beta fic minutes ago and now this. You have some stronk timing right there...

Bravo on an end.

It was bumpy. It was rough. But it was good. It was fun. And it's been a jewel to read, and to have experienced.

Thank you.

9197843
OH GOD!

Realize it's been a few weeks, but just saw you comment and:Sickle is Ice Cream Carl! (Fallout 4 radio mod;Old World Boston Synthstream FM. Basically a crazy ghoul that runs around in a truck killing stuff and making Ice Cream from the results....ew...)


I don't even know if PD listened to that station or made Sickle a homage on purpose but that's my new headcanon for her...just don't tell children how she makes the ice cream...though honestly given how clean the Wasteland seems to be nowadays it might not be an issue anyway.

It’s so weird, knowing this is over now. I think this is seriusly impressive. I know I could never hope to write something this epic. Really enjoyed the ending, thought the “slideshow” was a nice touch.

Any plans for more Changeling stories?

First of all; congratulations. I know it's not your first and maybe it seems like less of an accomplishment with a few under your belt, but completing any story is something to celebrate, especially one of this length. But one of this quality on top of it? I might be biased for reasons I'll get to in a moment, but this has been my favorite Fallout: Equestria story since the original. For context, I adore this world and am constantly reading stories set in it.

Second; thank you. This story has been a personal one for me. I had just found you and was nearing the end of A New Way when you posted the first chapter of this story. I was already enamored of your writing, and then you posted a new story in my favorite setting. You brought out something in the setting that a lot of stories in it seem to lack, one that was especially well highlighted in the last chapter that wasn't an epilogue. Conducting yourself morally isn't about something as simple or naive as being good, as compared to evil. It has real repercussions that affect you and everyone around you. Choosing to tell the truth about Queen Chrysalis the Sixth's death, and the real reason Whisper did it, was an incredible capstone for this story. And some might call it manipulative to do it for those reasons, but then Whisper just had a conversation with Echo about manipulation, didn't she?

It has been quite the incredible journey. Thanks for having us along. I'm looking forward to whatever the next one will be, whenever you plan to take us on another one.

I'm going to miss this one.

What an amazing story.

This is one of the best stories on the site, and the epilogue was perfect. I’ll always wish there was more but, good job. And thanks for telling this story.

Good work. This goes up in the big three... or four category on FoE. Foe ph MN7. Its of similar or greater quality

I remember finding this story about 2 years ago, and it has been a great journey. I'm kinda sad to see it finish. Congrats on finishing it, you did well.

I'm more than a little sad to see this come to an end. It was a hell of a ride. Is there any possibility we'll get some small side chapters about Starlight, Sickle, and Dusty, or are you ready to move on to other things now that you've finished with this?

This was absolutely fantastic. It has to be in my top five favorite stories on the site, no question. To reiterate what I said in my last comment, thank you so much for writing it - I looked forward to every single chapter!

A true homage to the FOE universe; one that embodies the wasteland. Hardship, brutality...
but above all, hope.
Well done.

Stories like this make me thank all the gods that I started reading fanfiction in the first place.
The thought that I could have never experienced something this beautiful scares me.

Thank you for writing and sharing :pinkiehappy:
I loved every word of it!

Holy fuck it's finally finished....
I have been reading this story for about 2 years now, with the slow yet well-written and jam-packed updates and it's finally over.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this, but, good job and thank you so much for crafting such an amazing story that has made me laugh, cry and shake in anticipation so much. Easily one of my favorite fics ever and thank you for making it.

Can't wait to see what's next!

It has been an absolute pleasure reading this Phoenix, your story has brought me hours of entertainment and it is a bit saddening to see that it is now finished. Regardless, I'm looking forward to whatever you might do next, even if that might not be for quite a while!

what a roller coaster of a story. From lost warder to war hero in the fallout wasteland whisper did it better than the actual game.

9233533
Thanks! As much as I'm sad it's over, it was still a lot of fun to write, and I'm very pleased with having finished such an epic-length tale. Wrapping up three years of writing really feels like I've achieved something. Not bad for a story I initially expected to be around 200k! :twilightoops:

And no worries, I know how it goes. I've fallen well behind on my reading, as well, and have trimmed out a good number of stories I've just lost track of or lost interest in. I might have to take the opportunity to finally catch up on the ones that remain.
9233658
I was not aware of that mod! So sadly, not a reference... but given how much synthwave I've been listening to lately, I miiight just have to download it. Thanks! :twilightsmile:
9233588
Heh! I did try to raise as many red flags as was reasonable. Got to have that tension! But as much as I love cliffhangers, leaving the entire story with such an unanswered question... well, even I'm not that evil. :rainbowlaugh:
9233717
No plans, but... maybe some vague ideas. I doubt I'm done with ponywords, and I do love me some changelings, so chances are good you'll see some more bug-ponies in the future.

And the slideshow was a lot of fun to write! :pinkiehappy:
9233751
I knew from the beginning that's I'd finish the story as long as I was physically capable of writing it, but... hoooly crap that's a lot of words. :rainbowderp: I may have finished several stories before, some quite a bit longer than your usual novel, but this is by far the largest project I've ever finished. There's certainly a good deal of pride and satisfaction in that, and maybe even a bit of relief.

I'm really glad you liked the story, and I'm particularly happy to see that particular section of the story brought up. It was one of the areas that had posed the most difficult contemplation of how I wanted the story to end, basically mirroring Whisper's contemplation. It's kind of a theme I'd been aiming for throughout the story, and that I wanted to reinforce here and in the Epilogue: that doing the right thing is important, even when it's hard. Especially when it's hard.

It's seems like such a perfectly pony sort of thing. :twilightsmile:
9233863
Yeah, balefire megaspells are scary as hell. :twilightoops:

Now I'll admit, that's all from my headcanon, based on the assumption that a balefire megaspell is essentially like a massively enchanted balefire egg, and that the act of breaking the "egg" at its core unleashes the enchantment. The pink cloud megaspell would probably be the same. Essentially, they contain a massively dangerous payload, and breaking their containment spreads all the nasty contents all over the place. Other megaspells that require an intact spell "framework" to cast would be failsafe, especially the equestrian-style megaspell chambers.

I'd considered making the balefire bomb be more like a nuke, requiring a carefully calculated initiation to trigger (And one that Whisper, with her talent in computer intrusion, could still accomplish), but I felt like this way was more fitting. :twilightsheepish:
9234010
I miiiight end up doing some little story like that, but I wouldn't want to get your hopes up. If I do another story in this setting, it will almost certainly give some glimpses of them or mention of what they've been up to, but I don't have any ideas for stories that feature them. We'll see.
9234050
This is the kind of comment that makes me feel like I did it right. I've always felt that the strength of the original story was its use of the darker elements to make the light of hope shine brighter, and it was the one thing I really wanted to make sure showed through in mine. Thank you :twilightsmile:
9234051
Amusingly enough, stories like this make me glad I got into reading fanfiction.

About seven years ago, I generally looked down on fanfiction as a medium. The problem was, I was doing so without having ever read any of it, outside some selections people had chosen as specific examples of "how bad fanfiction can be".

Fittingly, it was Fallout: Equestria that finally tempted me into reading fanfiction. As you might be able to tell, it was a very good introduction :rainbowlaugh:


And again, thank you to everyone. Even if I didn't reply to your comment, I've been reading all of them, and I'm absolutely thrilled by all the feedback and discussion. Many of your comments have helped shape how this story turned out, whether it was helping me see what was working, or helping me look at something from a new and unexpected angle. I'd never expected to get so much discussion around a niche fanfiction story, but you've all made this experience even better. Thank you :twilightsmile:

Oh wow, what a ride. It's been real, and thanks for Sickle in the epilogue.

9234156
You did fantastic. I've read a few other FOE fics, and one springs to mind where there was NO hope, it was just dark, brutal, and crappy. And while that's an aspect of a world like that, hope is what drives goodness and is present no matter what.
So you did fantastic, a perfect balance.

This was such a long running story that I quite enjoyed! Thanks for the read and can't wait for the next story you make!

This was a very good story. I really enjoyed reading it. I can't wait to see what you do next in terms of writing for your stories.

This was dope. Bravo on a great story!

My only sorrow about how this story ended, is that I no longer have another chapter to look forward too. This has been a journey I'll not forget in a hurry, I think I've said this in the past but I hope you're proud, if I was standing in front of you I would shake your hand, then use that hand to pull you into a Sickle-sized hug as thanks for creating this beautiful work of art. Keep up the great work!

I might have to read this again sometime. It was a great story and I'm happy to see it come to a satisfying conclusion. I wouldn't mind a few little SOL bonus chapters if the mood ever takes you though! After all that, few things make me happier than to see our little equine heroes living up the results of their efforts.

That said, simply bringing the story to a happy and satisfying end is more than what several authors have managed and it's an accomplishment all it's own! You've not just finished a story, you've completed a world of hope built on the efforts of truly sympathetic characters and given us a new faucet of imagination and inspiration. Here's to hoping to see some fan fics of your own fic!

It updated :pinkiehappy:

It’s over :pinkiesad2:

Great story, can’t wait to see what you do next.

This was amazing. Please add bonus chapters like how the new hive first day out is.:twilightsmile:
If you don't...um mind:fluttershyouch:

And so it ends. My, since late 2015! Well done, and thank you for sharing this with us. :)

Guess who made the popular tab yet again!

And so, we come to the bittersweet ending of an awesome story.

SQA

What a great ride. Premium from start to finish.

It's only just hitting me now that this is over... I'm really going to miss looking forward to updates on this story, as glad as I am to have some closure on this story.

I still really don't like Sickle by the way. That never changed the whole way. But I'm still glad she found a way to mellow out some.

Getting that sinking feeling I get at the end of all good stories, it's been a great ride. ^-^

The one story that, for years, kept me coming back to this site without fail. I'm not even sad to see it end, you played the story so well that the closure here feels perfect; the throwback to all the living places found on the way, a settled present and a glimpse of the future. Nothing feels unaddressed, left behind or misplaced. The moment I saw the beginning of this epilogue I just had to stop and read it out loud in as close as possible to the Fallout narrator voice, slides striding along through my mind!
Thank you for giving us this marvelous ride!

Momma Starlight, huh? So are they still friends with benefits or did they step up to full blown lovers? Maybe I missed a detail here or there but i figured the reason whisper always fed on affection meant that starlight never let herself take that next leap of emotion and whisper's nature made it hard to tell if she was in love with starlight or just saw her as her most treasured friend.

I kinda dont wanna finish reading it, cause I really dont want the story to end. But all good things must, so while I'm a little sad I'm excited to read the ending to this AWESOME story! :pinkiehappy:

Wow.... just like that. I great story comes to a end. Who else read the ending like the people did it in the original games. The voices of the characters reading all the parts. Well done and Bravo! Splendid work!

Incredible story! Congrats on it's completion!

As I said previously in recent chapters, your work remains among my favorite, even among physical print authors such as Alexandre Dumas. Thank you for entertaining me for the past six years. It has been a gift that will continue to be treasured each time I reread the epics of Nictis or Whisper.

I hope to see your work on my bookshelf one day, either through the projects you are moving on to from here, or via fanfic printings similar to those of Past Sins or Fallout Equestria itself. I trust that you will let your fans know where to find your future writings if not here at fimfic?

What an ending! This is one of my favorite stories! 😍
...
...
...
...
...
But what can I read now? 😰

You finally beat the game. Now play through it again and join Serenity this time. :trollestia:
In all seriousness, I loved this story and hope your muse isn't done yet. Need my fix of changeling goodness after all.

This was amazing all the way through, as I've said before this is actually the first FO:E story that I properly started reading, and it did help convince me to start properly getting around to the original, which I also greatly enjoyed. I haven't been as thorough in keeping up with my ponyfic as I used to be, but I would always check back for this one. Well done, happy/sad to see it finally reach the end. :twilightsmile::raritycry:

9234296
Yeah, I didn't even think of that until I was halfway through writing this. "Hey, wait a minute..."

And yes, I like this version more, too :twilightsmile:
9234390
After three years of writing this, it's a bit bittersweet to move on. I'm sad that this grand journey is over, even as I'm pleased to have seen it through to the end, and looking forward to writing many more stories in the future!
9234862
I think the best answer is, "It's complicated, but in a good place". They're at least close enough that Starlight's okay being called "momma" by Whisper's "kids" :rainbowlaugh:
9234832
Heh, I did the same thing. Every time I re-read the slideshow section, I had to read it with that voice. :twilightsheepish:
9235037
Oh, absolutely. If I ever get some stories published somewhere else, I'll be sure to put a journal post up here to let everyone know. I figure if you guys have stuck with me this long, I should at least let you know if I write something else!
9235420
Heck, I should replay the "unify the Wasteland" route to hit all the side-quests I missed. I delayed too long on Pale Sands and lost my chance to do any of the Pale Pony quests, and noped right out of World's End before I could even search out side-quests. Hell, I never even made it to Stinkpit or Hayseed! And if I was very lucky, I might even be able to save Rust somehow, though I have no idea how.

But yeah, every time I play one of the Fallout games (Or at least, the ones that have the slideshows), there's always some area or plot-line that slips through the cracks, that I only remember when I see a slide of it at the end. Something I never found, or forgot to get back to, or just plain screwed up. Whoops! :twilightsheepish:

Well, it was a hell of a ride, but it had to end at some point. And what an ending it was. Suffice to say, little Harmony's eyes weren't the only ones more wet than usual.

I do hope you'll return from time to time to this world you created. I'm already imagining a great many scenarios. Starlight's reaction to being called momma, or Dusty's response to becoming uncle (I also wonder how the two will feel when it goes from eight buggos looking up to them to a hundred, and to even more). Or what about the eight little bugs' first adventure as they're unleashed upon Gemstone? And what about Whisper? Has she fully become a changeling queen now? And how did it go? It would be quite amusing if after so much love she'd try to turn back into her natural form, only to find the body of a queen her new natural form. Surprise!

Regardless of your future choices, this is an amazing story, that I enjoyed immensely.
Thank you. :twilightsmile:

Just finished reading the epilogue. It was a great story, I'm glad you got to finish it.

I'm also happy Whisper got to have her happy ending. Most Fallout Equestria stories don't always turn out that way for everyone. Which is the point of the wasteland I suppose. Not everyone can get through it to the end, or get to see it on a completely happy note.

Excellent story. Thanks for all the hard work.

Thank you so much for this awesome adventure!
I wish it would have never ended, but good things must, I'll certainly remember this story for decades to come. :pinkiehappy:
With this done, what do you plan to do now?
I'll leave this story for the last time with these final words...
ALL HAIL QWEEN WHISPER!!!

Congratulations for completing a story that long and managing to keep the quality up all along.
It was a great ride.
Thank you.

Congratulations!! :pinkiehappy: :heart:

If you had written this story any earlier, it would have easily been one of the "famous" FO:E stories, alongside the original, Project Horizons, Pink Eyes, Heroes, and Murky Number Seven. It's so good! I personally consider this story to be second only to Murky among all the side-stories.

I really like this bit:

A changeling queen should be able to face her fate head-on. She deserved better than being slain in her sleep.

Three shell casings clattered on the hard tile floor. Queen Chrysalis the Sixth was dead.

"She deserves better. But nah."

It hits the incredibly rare sweet spot of being impactful and dramatic while simultaneously being entertaining and comedic. I'm impressed.

It's been pretty incredible to me to see you improving as a writer by leaps and bounds with every story you publish. The difference between Fragments and this story is just ridiculous. I don't know for how much longer you're going to be able to keep this rate of improvement up, but regardless it makes me eagerly anticipate your next work! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment