• Published 13th Aug 2014
  • 7,252 Views, 38 Comments

Feathers and Scales - Gleaming



Mane Six spy on Spike when they suspect that he is dating a griffon.

  • ...
30
 38
 7,252

So Much to Tell

Feathers and Scales


[/hr]

Spike walked into the library with a letter for Twilight. “Twilight, the letter is here!” Spike bolted over to Twilight, with letter in claw.

She grabbed the letter with her magic, levitating it over in front of her book. “Thanks for the letter, Spike. I’ll read this right away.” Twilight moved her book over to the side, letting her eyes read along the lines of the parchment.

Dear Princess Twilight Sparkle,

You have been requested to visit the Griffon Kingdom, take your time on replying back to this letter with your answer. If you are not able to attend, you can send a representative in your place if you choose to do so.

Sincerely,

The King of Griffonia

Twilight finished reading the letter, reminding herself that she has a royal summit later to discuss the economy and financial well being of the country. “Spike, could you visit the Griffon Kingdom while I’m at my summit with Cadence, Celestia, and Luna?”

Spike puffed out his chest confidently. “I’d love to,Twilight.” He grabbed the letter, rolled it up and tied the letter with a red bow. He breathed in and blew some magical fire into the letter, watching the letter swirl into a small fire trail flying off to the Griffon Kingdom.

“Thanks, Spike. I’ll be heading off to the summit now, see you when you return.” Twilight flapped her wings, and flew off to the Canterlot Castle.

Spike walked up the wooden stairs leading up to the top floor of the library. He snatched his red knapsack, tying it to a stick, and hoisted the knapsack over his shoulder. “Griffon Kingdom, here I come!”

The young drake ran down the stairs and stepped out of the library’s main floor, walking up a dirt road towards the train station. Spike walked up to the train station platform, he held out his ticket in front of the train manager’s eyes as he inspected the ticket, and checked to see if the ticket was paid for. “All aboard! The next stop is, the Griffon Kingdom!” the manager announced before checking his watch for the time of departure, and walked through the train doors.

The train doors closed behind him as he walked through each train cart. Spike sat himself down on an empty seat, the train rolled past large plantations and wide, open fields.

Spike looked across at the vast crops planted across the land. He held onto his knapsack of belongings once the train’s wheels screeched against the tracks, and came to a complete stop. He fell off of his seat, his face planted on the floor while the ponies who boarded the train, began to leave the train. “All aboard, who’s going coming aboard! We have arrived at the Griffon Kingdom!” he checked his golden pocket watch, as the ponies began to take their luggage and fill the train carts.

Spike walked out onto the platform, the train’s engines started once again rolling up the tracks to the next stop. His eyes looked up at the tall, jagged walls of the kingdom where the symbol of a griffon was located in the center of the wall, he shrugged off the fear of the wall and followed the directions to the city.

Upon his entry into the city, Spike decided to stop by the Drunken Feather, the bottom of the barrel bar where griffons who want to drink their pain and sorrow away come to stop by for a mug of cider or two. He opened the wooden door which creaked once he placed his claw on the door, walking into the bar.

A chair flew past Spike’s head as he ducked his head down to avoid getting hit, the chair smashed into the wall with wood and splinters flying into the air, and on the floor. Drunken patrons slammed their mugs of cider on their tables and threw wild punches at one another, striking the top of their chins as their feathers were ruffled from the altercations. “Looks like a friendly place,” Spike said sarcastically, rolling his emerald eyes.

Spike popped a squat on one of the stools that wasn’t occupied by angry griffons who were fueled by the cider. The suds caused them to hiccup and stutter before falling off their stools due to the lack of concentration. “I’d like a mug of cider on the rocks.”

The bartender moved an old rag around inside of a clear wine glass. He turned his attention back to Spike, putting on his best fake smile at him. “Sure thing, I’ll get right on it!” His false smile turned into a fierce scowl, he grabbed an empty mug and washed its contents out under some warm water from the sink.

Taking out a cider hose from the shelves near his claws, jiggling the hose a little until cider poured out of the hose and into the empty mug, filling it up to the top. Before he gave the beverage to Spike, the bartender added a bending straw and sprinkled some gin into the cider. “There you go, little dragon. Enjoy!” he waved his talon at the dragon as he sat down near an empty table.

Before Spike could sip the cider through the straw, he heard a faint whimper coming from the corner. The griffon’s tears formed a puddle around the table, rain-like drops dripped from the bottom of the table, she pinned her claws down on the table to cover her face. She felt a slight tap on her shoulder, causing her to lift her head up, scowling at Spike. “What do you want, dweeb?”

Spike recognized that voice right away, the mean old griffon that spat out insults and had no remorse or feeling for common equine decency. “Gilda, of course,” He thought to himself, before snapping back out of his trance and back to reality. “How you been since you left Ponyville?”

“That backwater excuse for a town,” Gilda gulped down a mug of cider in a matter of seconds, hurling the mug into the wall in a fit of anger. She hid her face and wiped away the dry river of tears that she left behind, the bags under her bloodshot eyes told the tale. “What’s the real reason you’re here on my home turf?”

“I didn’t expect you to be look and act like this. I want to help you out,” Spike said solemnly, he took a sip of his cider through the straw.

“And why would you want to do that after I treated you and your weakling pony friends badly?” Gilda cocked her head to the side, confused on why Spike would help her.

“I learned that when you make mistakes, sometimes you are given a second chance to make things right. Whether you accept or not, the choice is yours.” Spike tilts his head back and lets the cider wash down his throat. He smacked his lips and letting out a satisfied, “Ahh, refreshing.” Spike turned his head to watch Gilda’s eyes look back at him, before he opened the door and exited the bar.

Gilda took a moment to let her memories wash over her in silence.


[/hr]

The train arrived back at the Ponyville Train Station, Spike walked out of the coal-powered locomotive and stumbled around dizzily over to Sugarcube Corner. He could still smell the sweet aroma of freshly baked chocolate cinnamon cupcakes tickle his nostrils, the succulent desserts found a way to lure the dragon to them. Spike sniffed the aroma’s trail in the air, he let his mind roam free and felt himself lifted off the ground taken to Pinkie’s place of business.

Much to Spike’s dismay, all he could taste was a glass window displaying the chocolate cinnamon cupcakes inside. His eyes boggled out of his head to look at the sign above the display window.

These special cupcakes will be delivered tomorrow, please note that this is only a display version of the cupcakes. Sorry for the convenience.

Spike sighed in disappointment, walking away from the window before being tackled by a pink blur coming towards him. Pinkie wrestled him to the ground, lifting him up in her arms and wiggling his nimble, little body.

Spike covered her eyes with his claws to pry himself out of her strong grip. “Sorry about that, Spike. Twilight went off to a summit earlier, so don’t be afraid to join me and Gummy for a party.” Pinkie giggled delightfully, she picked up her pet alligator and bounced around with glee.

“See you later, Pinkie.” Spike waved goodbye to his dessert-crazed friend.

Spike walked up the hill where the vibrant sounds of animals could be heard inside and outside of Fluttershy’s cottage, dangling bird cages, squirrels hibernating for the winter season, bears emerging from their caves, birds chirping and Fluttershy singing while pouring each animal their required morsels of food.

Angel tapped his foot impatiently as Fluttershy filled his bowl with three carrots that she bought from the market. He kicked the bowl into Fluttershy’s face, the carrots were launched into the air and cascaded across the floor, leaving the smooshed orange residue behind.

Angel pressed her caretaker’s cheeks to his face, and looked deeply into her eyes. She heard a knock at the door as Angel let go of his grip and sent her flying into the door. Fluttershy pressed her hoof against her back, arching her spine a little and opened the door once she regained her composure. “Hey, Spike. What brings you here today?”

Spike rubbed the back of his head. “Have you seen Rarity today?”

“I believe that she is cooped up in her shop today, you can go check just to be sure. Come by here anytime, Spike.” Fluttershy waved her hoof back and forth to Spike, she hid behind her door before she closed the door slowly.

Looks like it’s time to pay Rarity a visit, Spike thought to himself, he bumped into a griffon and both of them fell down to the ground. “Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry-” He looked closely at the griffon, noticed that the griffon concealed herself hiding under a hood. “Gilda, is that you?”

Gilda flipped her hood over her head and whispered silently to Spike, “Yes, but I don’t want any of these ponies finding out that it’s me. Keep it our little secret.”

Spike locked his mouth with a lock and threw away the key. “You got it,” He said, giggling about the imaginary key and lock.

“I’m going to see Rarity for a minute. Be right back, okay?” Spike walked away happily to the Carousel Boutique.

He knocked on the door, waiting for the seamstress to answer. “Coming!” Rarity said, stitching the last dress for her order from Dodge Junction. She trotted to the door and opened the door as a chime resonated from the bell, Rarity rubbed the top of Spike’s head, she cooed soon after.

“Hey Spikey-wikey, and what do I owe this visit?” Rarity cocked an eyebrow, the radiance of her gaze never left Spike’s mind.

Spike shook his head and said, “Twilight is still at the royal summit. So I decided to pay you, Fluttershy, and Pinkie a visit before I go out on my date.”

Rarity looked at Spike curiously. “Who pray tell is the lucky pony or dragon in question?”

“It’s a secret, Rarity. You’ll have to see for yourself.”

Rarity’s thoughts all came flooding at once. She never thought that Spike would completely forget about his apparent crush on her, without herself feeling an inch of guilt on being so oblivious and unaware regarding his affection. “Would you like to stay for some tea?”

Spike turned his back to Rarity, and walked away with his eyes closed. Complete silence filled the air without Rarity uttering another word after that, she closed the door behind her never to look back at him.


[/hr]

Autumn leaves fell from the branches of the trees, orange, yellow, red and brown leaves all scattered in a pile from the Carousel Boutique. Rarity had not come out of the her business and home in days after her last encounter with Spike, she thought that Spike didn’t move on from her but it appears that she was the one who didn’t move on. Having herself cooped up without interacting with her friends, left them in a disarray.

“Ah’m worried about Rarity, we haven’t seen her in days. The last time we saw her, was when she talked ta’ Spike. Twilight, can you arrange a meeting with Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash?” Applejack took off her hat and dipped her head down.

“Sure thing, Applejack.” Twilight said boldly.

The five mares met up with one another at the barn near Sweet Apple Acres, making sure that Spike wasn’t in the vicinity.

“Okay ya’ll, let’s cut to the chase. Rarity won’t come out of her boutique due to Spike and his anonymous association, which I wish that he would tell us.” Applejack said.

Pinkie pulled a chart out of the barn’s roof, she sketched out a diagram of the plan. The diagram showed Spike and a griffon with a hood draped over her head, also a pony dressed in a black, latex suit and big goggles. “Hehe, that pony with the goggles is me.”


“Uh-huh. Anyway, we’re going to keep a close eye on Spike’s whereabouts and spy on his date with this ‘surprise’ female that he is dating.” Twilight yanked the bottom of the chart, it reclined as Pinkie fell down on the dirty barn ground.

Fluttershy said quietly, “I don’t know if this is a good idea-” She was snatched up by Pinkie, hiding Fluttershy and the rest of her friends behind a bush. The party pony moved silently as her four hooves bounced softly against the soft, fertile ground, taking her friends in the bush with her.


[/hr]

The indigo-colored night sky painted shooting stars that passed by with all residents of Ponyville sound asleep, all except five mares on a super secret spy mission.

Pinkie rolled out of the shadows in her latex suit and big goggles, Twilight and the others wore the same getup but they knew it wouldn’t conceal them very well. “This is not going to work, Pinkie. It is night time but we don’t blend in very well.” Twilight clarified, she groaned and rolled her eyes.

“Trust me, silly filly. This will work, now roll out.” Pinkie flopped down on her belly, slithered along the ground like a snake as she saw Spike pass them by in a fancy suit, also wearing a red bowtie.

“Ready to go, milady?” Gilda held out her eagle claw and Spike grabbed it without a moment’s notice, they walked over to the local restaurant that stayed open from the morning hours throughout the night.

“Spike, I don’t know if I comfortable being out here.” Gilda shuddered from the cold night air blowing against her feathers.

Spike held her claw to calm her down, a red glow brightened on both of her cheeks. “You’ll get used to it, but for now, let’s have a good meal.”

“Wait, where’s Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

Rainbow Dash shot out from the night sky above, she laid her back against a soft cloud. She scanned the skies and the ground for anything that would blow her cover, her ears perked up when the mare looked down from above at her old friend, Gilda and going on a date with Spike. Those two names together did not sound right to her. “Okay guys, I’m here. Try not to startle them or blow your cover, got that?”

“Ya got it, Rainbow. Yee-haw.” Applejack tipped her hat and watched the date closely.


“Yep Dashie, yippee.” Pinkie resisted the urge to bounce around. She kept her head hidden behind the bushes and slid her goggles down to her eyes, moving her forelegs about around her head. “Invisibility…”

“Uhh...yay.” Fluttershy raised her hoof up with minimal enthusiasm before she whistled a tune to herself.

“You know what, maybe I’ll give Ponyville a second chance like you said.” Gilda munched down on a daffodil sandwich, while Spike chewed his way through a stack of hay. They heard a rustle in one of the bushes but they didn’t pay it no mind, four hooves popped out from the bottom of the bush.

“Did you hear something?” Spike swallowed the last of his hay, though he does prefer eating gems if they were available here.

“Nope, maybe that was nothing.” Gilda felt herself getting zapped by a cloud hovering above her. Her burnt feathers smelled like smoke and burnt flesh, she looked up at the cloud where a rainbow-colored tail laid lazily from the edge of the cloud. “Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow Dash cackled on the cloud, kicking her hooves up in a fit of laughter. “The one and only, we want to know why you’re on a date with Spike.”

“Us!” Pinkie and the others popped out of the bush in their latex suits, they exchanged awkward glances at Spike and Gilda.

“Spike, we didn’t do this to hurt you but to know why. Because, Rarity was-” Twilight stopped mid-sentence when she saw Rarity looking at Spike.

“This is too much to process, I’ll explain myself. I learned that everypony deserves a second chance to at least redeem themselves, even a mean spirited griffon like Gilda.” Gilda and Spike held each other’s claws, staring deeply into their eyes and pecked a kiss on each cheek. Both of their faces lit up with a red glow streaming across their cheeks, Twilight and the others watched as they shared their intimate moment.

“I guess I don’t need the moustache?” Pinkie twirled a handlebar moustache around her hoof.

“Nope.”


[/hr]

The End

Author's Note:

Wrote all of this after midnight and into the early morning hours, sorry if I caused you to lose brain cells from the lack of romance.

Update: I'll reopen the requests again after I finish the final request story, but keep in mind that the request waiting list and all requests that are submitted, will be on hiatus when I go back to my regular writing schedule.

Comments ( 37 )

Ooh! Love this ship! Gonna read this first chance I get!

this is good but it has so much wasted potential.

This could really use more detail.

Comment posted by Lionblaze103 deleted Aug 13th, 2014

I really enjoyed this. Great job.

Max

Oh...?

I love it and the moment that the requests are back on could we expect a sequel?

4845306 Good question. But, no sequel.

Good story. It was funny.

4845319 OR another story about these two for later.

4845569 Hmm, I don't know...maybe.

I barely got a chance to edit the first two paragraphs....:applejackconfused:
I was gonna give some advice but you never asked me any questions or anything....
Obstinate refusal to ask for help doesn't really give you any reason to put my name on this.:applejackunsure:

4845585 I'm so sorry, I thought you were too tired. So I finished the story, I'll give you credit for editing though.

4845598
I was waiting until you had it written out to edit it. I do need to sleep though. And you never asked me anything, you never asked, Hey does this work? Is this a good idea?

You just wrote what you wanted without specifying what kind of help you wanted, what I was supposed to be doing, or anything really.

I'd honestly prefer if you pulled my name off this, because I really didn't do anything.:pinkiesick:

4845606 Okay, I will. Maybe I should be more specific when I ask for your help again.

Nice premise, but needs a LOT more detail, sounds really, really, rushed....

4845572 I'll let you finish up until then.

4847209 Well okay then, but there won't be a sequel.

The shipping idea was good, spike and gild a? Never done I like that idea. The story however wasn't very good, everything is breezed through, characters actions or deviations from what we know are poorly explained at best or just never explained at all. Spike getting sent to meet the king leaves and is back (without ever meeting with him?) In a dozen sentences. No interior monolog us or character development at all. This reads more like a story board of some kind that will act as a blue print for a story your gonna write.

4847303 At least you're honest. I did this to test the waters of romance, unfortunately, I didn't do what was expected.

4847312
I'm brutally honest. Hey if you want to write a story all the power too you, if you want to write a great story your gonna need to put a lot of time into it and get a few pre readers that will force you to re write it a dozen times.

4847518 I usually get an editor for my stories, I never had a prereader for my stories.

4847530 editors keeps you from making alot of mistakes but I find pre readers really help keep your story in the right direction, the input from others keeps you from making something only you or someone exactly like you will want to read. If you stop listening to your fans/audience you end up with a lot of jar jar bink's and whiny aniken's.

4847559 I'll make sure to get a pre reader next time around.

4847303 Dracoian Soul did, I can't spell his name.

I Love It :moustache:

The idea was good. :pinkiesmile: Characterization was more or less good.

The execution, though... :rainbowderp: The plot looked kinda like Pinkie Pie jumping on a pogostick under the influence of caffeine, in that it jumped all over the place. It jumped from encounter at bar to reencounter at ponyville (very little in between). It was also missing several activities/first dates between Spike and Gilda that would have resulted in a mutual attraction. On the whole it seemed outta nowhere.

But you are playing with a ship that I've only seen a few times on this site. If this wasn't already set to 'complete' status, then I'd be kinda wanting to jump into the next chapter..

way to hurried up, could not start to enjoy it, it was to fast paced, and the words where so mashed up that the flow of the story was chopped off, you need to use more commas, and try to explain things a little bit more

Spike and Gilda do have something in common: Mates for life kind of deal.

5082995 There is no more, sorry. :ajsleepy:

condensing a 10-12k long story into only 3k? Of course it's gonna end up hurting it... such a shame, because it had a lot of potential and a great story-line... maybe even a line or two about Spike apologizing to Gilda about how Ponyville doesn't have any good carnivorous restaurants, and in response to her query of "and how would you know anything about that", he'd simply say that dragons can eat and digest literally anything they can fit into their mouths, and their teeth make sure whatever's too big doesn't stay that way for long, so he had the inclination to try some a actually loved it, but the social bla bla bla... I'm just rambling at this point

5316562 I figured it would, I rushed it pretty badly.

I really enjoyed reading this, but the way you ended this story, I feel incomplete. Please consider writing a sequel to this story. I feel that there is more to tell.

6417420 I have to agree with Star. the ending just seemed a little forced. the rest of it was great though. keep up the good work.

It was good just rushed

Login or register to comment