• Published 26th Dec 2013
  • 9,993 Views, 765 Comments

Fragments of Memories - Starwin



After surviving a spell that merged Twilight and Dash into a single being, the two mares are still struggling to get back to as normal a life as they can have. Except, didn’t they used to have more friends? Why is it so hard to remember…

  • ...
23
 765
 9,993

Epilogue

Fragments of Memories
By Starwin


Epilogue


“Are you sure you do not wish to come, sister?” asked Luna. Celestia shook her head.

“I think it is better if you go alone, for now,” said Celestia. “Besides, it grows late, and I must set the sun soon.” Luna bowed her head slightly. Celestia began to leave. “Oh, and I believe that once you are done, Doctor Heart has requested your assistance with the crystallized ponies. She seemed to think that even frozen as they are, you may be able to enter their minds. As you did with Discord… and Twilight Dash.”

Luna frowned looking away from her sister. Celestia sighed.

“You know your own magic best,” continued Celestia. “But I urge caution my sister. Do not lose yourself in dreams. And do not forget who we are. We are leaders of a nation, not its soldiers or its heroes.”

“I will help who I can,” answered Luna. She looked up at Celestia with a defiant gaze. Celestia nodded, before trotting off. Luna let out a sigh.

There had been no argument between them, but she could tell her sister was not happy with her. Luna had defied her elder sister’s wishes. She had ventured into the minds of other ponies, of other gods. And the chaos that had almost been unleashed was too terrible to even consider.

Luna shook her head.

She had felt the dark path once again, the power of Nightmare Moon. It had almost consumed her, buried her in shadows. Her fear had come so close to taking her once more. Had it not been for Twilight and her friends, Luna was sure the whole world would be covered in darkness and frozen in crystal by now.

Luna shook her head again.

She stood before a great wooded glade. The waning sun made the shadows of the trees long and deep. This place was new to her. While it was in the castle gardens, she had never set hoof inside before. That was because up until a few moments ago, it had not existed.

Luna and Celestia had worked together to craft it, to grow it with magic. A small voice called out to Luna from deep within the trees. Luna smiled sadly and trotted forward.

Had it not been for her excellent vision, it would have been completely dark. However, she could see just fine.

She admired the work of her and her sister. It had been a long time since they had crafted anything in the gardens together. The last thing they had built was a prison, the hedge maze used to contain Discord. Of course, they no longer needed a prison for Discord. That was why they had removed the maze and built this grove atop it.

Luna couldn’t help but feel sad. As different as it looked, its purpose was all but the same. A prison without walls.

All of the trees were perfect. The spacing, the trunks, even their roots and leafs were all exactly aligned and ordered.

Ahead of her, Luna could see the soft glow of firefly light. The small voice called to her again.

“Luna, hurry up!” cried the filly. Luna quickened her pace slightly, following the perfect stone path beneath her hooves.

Ahead, the trees parted into a clearing. Luna slowed to a halt, stopping beside the silver filly. The small pony’s eyes were open wide in wonder.

“Woah…” said the little pony. “This… this is all for me?”

“Yes,” said Luna with a nod, looking at the finished structure.

At the center of the clearing was a tree, far larger than the rest. It had windows and doors grown right into it.

“It looks like Twilight Dash’s library,” said the silver filly. “But, smaller.”

“There are also no books inside,” said Luna. “It is a living house and it will continue to grow. For now, it should have more than enough space for you.”

“It’s awesome!” said the filly, galloping forward to look inside. Luna followed after. The small pony was already dashing around the downstairs area checking the different rooms. There was a stairway leading up to a loft above, but the interior was indeed much smaller than the Ponyville library.

While the filly examined her new house, Luna’s eyes settled on the large stone column that sat in the center of the structure, its exact center. They had changed its shape, but its contents were still just as bad. Luna frowned slightly.

“What’s wrong?” asked the filly, breaking Luna out of her worries. She glanced towards the perfectly round column of stone. “What’s that thing?”

“The foundation,” lied Luna. “It helps keep everything in balance.”

“Neat,” said the filly. Her face fell slightly. “Am… am I supposed to stay here? Alone?”

“For now,” said Luna. “Although, I shall try to visit you every night.”

“And… and Twilight Dash, and my… their friends?” asked the silver filly.

“I do not know, Rainbow Spar-” began Luna.

“That isn’t my name anymore,” interrupted the filly. “I gave that back. I gave everything I could back to them.” Luna nodded slowly. “I hope they can forgive me…”

“I am sure they will,” said Luna. “In time. So, what shall I call you then, little pony?” asked Luna. “Surely not Harmony…” the filly shook her head vigorously.

“No. I was thinking, maybe… Silver Stars?” suggested the little pony.

“I think that is a very good name,” agreed Luna with a smile.

Author's Note:

Hellos again everyone!

Well, this is it! The very last installment of the story. I oddly don't have much else to say here other than: THANK YOU! Thank you for sticking with me. Thank you for reading. Thank you commenting. Thank you for feedback, for corrections, for suggestions and for helping me improve my skill as a writer.

It has been a long journey but this isn't the end, its just another stop along the path.

Comments ( 69 )

heh somber ending but I see a bright future... hehehe

Hmm... What exactly does that pillar contain? And is Silver Stars allowed to leave her house and grove? Is the layout some kind of containment array? Will there be a sequel?

5602494 I'm guessing Discord's Body.

I think my earlier comment didn't explain my opinion on this. It's not that they're still joined that bugs me, but that they stayed that way willingly. Nobody would want to live like that if they had a choice. I'm actually glad they're still together, because that leaves space for another sequel. But the way it happened just didn't have enough justification. They spend the entire series so far trying to get as close to normal as they can this way, but when they finally have the means to be normal again they don't go for it? I'm not buying that.

Great ending to a great story!

Gotta agree with everyone saying that them wanting to stay this way simply doesn't add up. Of course, the merge is what the story is about and the solution to the problem shouldn't be that simple, but we've seen absolutely nothing throughout the story that actually would make them want to remain merged, and now that a solution is present, it really doesn't make much sense for them not to go for it. If you don't want them to be separated just yet for the sake of the story, that's perfectly reasonable and I fully agree with the decision. But wouldn't it be better to have no solution present in the first place?

I can buy that they're not "ready" for other reasons, like, maybe they're just afraid of something going wrong because there could be certain risks or side-effects. But having them want to stay merged? It's been extremely difficult for them just to live their life, and it's brought them nothing but problems in several different ways. It just doesn't add up with anything they've been through.

I'm not saying it ruined the whole story for me or anything, especially if the next story explores their reasons for wanting to stay this way (it really needs to be explained). But in the meantime, it's just not completely believable in the way it was presented.

5602757
5602573

I reiterate:

"Personally, I think you're all missing the point. They can now separate whenever they want. If you knew you could switch back with the relative press of a button, why not kick it around freaky-style for a bit?"

They are not permanently joined now. They can use the Elements once again, which means they can separate safely when they feel like it. Just because you don't personally see the point of it doesn't knock the story down any, it's just you not making a personal connection with the characters or allowing them to think differently than you do when you visualize them.

Holy cow- it's finally done? Yay! Veil of Thoughts is one of the few stories in my Calibre library marked with a five star rating next to it. I've been waiting over a year to read the sequel AND I'M NOT WAITING A MINUTE LONGER!!! :flutterrage:

:pinkiehappy:

5602829 Wait what?! Woah, I totally missed that part. Well, awesome. Now I do get it.:pinkiehappy:

Oh Celstia!!!!!!!!!!! please make a sequal to this. Preferably a "slice of life" kind of story that explores what Twilight Dash's "normal" life is like now that they've learned to co-exist in the same body.

5602905 I've been waiting for ages so that I can download this to my Calibre library and then push it to my eReader. I've had a little note added in the metadata of 'Veil of Thoughts' in the series tag saying that a sequel is due soon.

I find TD wanting to give there new state of being a chance believable. :ajsmug:
Now I guess next week is when "The Life and Times of a Whining Pony" will start.

5602919

\o/ I think it's a pretty sweet idea. Sort of like that time-old question, "Would you switch genders if you could swap back any time?"

In this, I get the sense that they're still a bit addled and since Rainbow and Twilight were the only ones who the other didn't forget over this time period, I imagine that even with some of their memories back it's a great deal more comforting to still be together until they can both get back on their hooves and decide it's time to move on with their separate lives. Then one rainbow beam and a spellcast later, and they'll be Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash once again.

Did you forget about what happend to Discord? Last time he was seen, he was taking pinkie out of td's mind

Really will miss new installments of this. But I wish to congratulate you for finally getting to a done point.

I just noticed that this is tagged slice of life. Right.................No.

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

Also, thank YOU so much for giving us such an amazing story to read. Here's hoping for more to come. :twilightsmile:

nice story. Loved It. You know one thing bugged me i wished at some point Luna would have referenced the royal "we" when TD kept saying We.

Silver Stars?....Wait ...hold on a minute.....oh, Oooooh!
Bravo!
Absolutely brilliant!!!
Even at the end of such an amazing story you still manage to pull out one last Mind Bomb!

It's been a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

5603634
Corrected, thank you :twilightsmile: (also can't believe no one spotted that sooner)

5603964
It started out that way, but like life, things started to spiral out of control... not sure what else to tag it at this point... crazy? Is there a tag for that?

5603649
Discord technically ended up back in his own body after he left Twilight Dash (and dropped Pinkie off along the way). It isn't explicitly said (because, I wasn't sure I could have fit in any more explanation without the story exploding) but I may go back in and make a better mention of it... maybe...

5605039 that would be nice, but as I'm sure you are aware, in the actual show he IS reformed, perhaps you could continue with something along the lines of that, as an idea, your prequal was the first story I ever read on this site and it would be sad to see it end so soon

5604046
Agreed. WE DEMAND ANOTHER. THE FUN MUST BE.... TRIPLED!!!

Where are Twilight and Dash's parents in this whole affair?

If they'd heard their respective daughters had been amalgamated, I'd think they'd express some concern.

5605452
Uh, they are all throughout the story... We first meet Dash's dad in chapter 6 and they stick through as secondary characters up until the final chapter.

5605521

Quiet, you; I'm doing four things at once, one of which is dealing with a bitchy modem.

Well, this was a wild ride. A few things which might be expanded upon (I smell a new story!), but overall it was a really good one. If there is going to be more (I hope so), then I'm definitely looking forward to reading it :twilightsmile:

Your ending could have upset some people, but I am no enemy of grey endings.
Your story was great, throughout it.

5605031

How is this not Adventure?:rainbowhuh:

Well, that was an enjoyable ride. Actually, I think that it was probably for the best that I left it so long to read, the story was completed, as I think the last few chapters would have been more confusing and lost some of their impact, had I read more widely spaced in time. There's no substitute sometimes, for having everything all together.

(Appropriately enough, given the context.)

Excellent work.

Excellent job, Starwin. An interesting resolution, but one that fits well with the story (interesting is good, just to be clear). :moustache: On a side note, it seems like I joined the bandwagon at just the right time. I didn't know that this was finished so recently.

Your cover art is what originally drew me in when I was looking for a good Discord story, and it's really neat how accurate it is to the story. Did you have it commissioned, or create it yourself (:raritystarry:)? In any case, whoever drew it did a very good job.
...
Now I want a story about filly Harmony Rainbow Sparkle Silver Stars. :pinkiehappy:(Children are fun to read about :scootangel:)

5643256
I usually "create" the cover art myself... but I say that with quotes. Some of it I did actually draw (in gimp, flash and inkscape), but most of it is either traces or composites of existing images. I'm a much better writer than an artist... but still, I'm glad you liked it.

It is super unlikely I would ever do a story focused around Silver Stars (or bring her back in another full length adventure). But for the next installment of TD (when I am ready to work on it), I'm fairly sure that I will attempt a series of short stories (episodes if you will) and at least one of those will have silver in it for sure.

sequel bait A/N:trollestia:

[ not its solders or its heroes.”/quote]

soldiers*

5650585
Corrected, thank you very much :twilightsmile:
I certainly plan to do more stories, a continuation of this series (of Twilight Dash) is most definitely in my list, but unlikely to be the next project I work on.

5653218

hit me up if you need help with ideas/editing/proofing/etc.

This story is really great !!! :pinkiehappy:

Awesome conclusion to an awesome story. I look forward to the trequel where Twilight Dash almost drowns in the mirrorpond and ends up splitting into increasingly irrational fractions of herself. :)

5694492 That would be hilaristurbing, but I'm pretty sure it would never be made.


...or is that the joke?

... Huh... Honestly, didn't like the story. There were just too many overly dramatic, obvious moments of plot convenience to say it was good. I mean, it's the job of the author to make everything in their story seem natural, while the bulk of your story seemed forced.
That being said, it had it's moments, and I can see why people liked it (though I imagine if everyone who upvoted this story in the beginning would have waited, they probably wouldn't have ended up hitting that like button at all)

Anyway, just a suggestion, but you ever think about going back and cutting down your author notes? They go towards word count after all, and a lot of them are useless now. I remember seeing whole paragraphs devoted to things like apologizing for slow updates and the like, which aren't needed now that the stories complete. Just an idea.

It was so beautiful, I'm almost sad to see it end.

quickmeme.com/img/1b/1bc772cd14babcf1b4283bca1fdeb9cc6a1fc46e6f7e18e322a438dabeb6259f.jpg

It has been a long journey but this isn't the end, its just another stop along the path.

And I love the sound of that :heart:

So this has been sitting in my tracking shelf for a while, about half read, and I finally got around to finishing it. I liked it, though I did face-palm when I read about them blaming discord with the crystals. Honestly, crystals are a symbol of order. The thought that a being like discord would freeze someone in a symbol of order blows my mind. though I did get an idea, gonna see if I can make my brother draw something up for that. Finally, the epilogue was... I'd like to say it felt like it was missing something? Are you planning on doing something else with this, and expounding upon the experiences of Twi and Dash? If not, I'd like a little more than "They went home. The end." That's just me though, and I often can't leave well enough alone.

5861552
Yes, I do intend to do more. I'm currently working on the next installment, which (at least for now) is going to be a series of standalone stories, similar (I hope) to episodes. No dates when they will be done but I have three drafted at the moment and two more being "worked on".

5862631 Ok. I've gotten a bit better at not jumping the gun and assuming the author is being a dick for the sake of making everyone angry, lol, so I thought there could be a third. Good to know my hunch was right. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Finished... After too many time but I read the story to the finish. I liked it and I'm going to wait for the third story

And here we come at last, to the end of this glorious adventure.
I don't think I've ever read mental hijinks as well written or thoroughly thought out before. :twilightsmile:

5602573 I think the reason they want to stay like that is because they are never alone. They also think each other's thoughts, so spliting up is like essentially giving up half of your mind. Would you willingly get rid of the memory of half of your parents? That's what it would be like.

Login or register to comment