• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 5,218 Views, 337 Comments

Ponyville DxD - Naughty_Ranko



Celestia has made a bet with the current Demon Lord and now the Elements and Spike, led by Princess Luna must face Rias Gremory and her servants in a Rating Game to determine the Strongest Little Sister. High School DxD Crossover.

  • ...
21
 337
 5,218

PreviousChapters
Dragon

Feeling restless, I climb out of the bed, trying to be as quiet as possible, so I don't wake up Rarity. We've been given rooms in the castle, until our return trip to Ponyville via train tomorrow.

After a week of sleeping on a hard forest floor, the bed just feels way to soft. I slowly close the door and walk along the corridor in front of our apartments, ending up on a balcony overlooking Canterlot.

I stand there for a minute, admiring the view. “My sister has outdone herself tonight.”

Turning, I can see the Princess of the Sun walking up to stand beside me, her eyes fixed on the night sky. “Princess Celestia. I didn't think you were still awake.”

“What about you? Trouble sleeping?” She turns the question around on me.

I sigh. “Guess so.” The truth is, the way my power went berserk during the Rating Game is still bothering me. But this is just something I'm gonna have to work out on my own. As I look over at her, I can't help but wonder. “Princess? Why are you still wearing that maid uniform?”

“Oh, this?” She giggles, admiring the unusual dress for a princess. “Believe it or not, it's actually quite comfortable. Plus it's kinda fun to watch my guards' reactions as I walk past them in the halls.”

There's a bit of silence as we watch the stars twinkle in the sky, but I guess this is a good opportunity to ask about something else that has been on my mind lately. “Princess Celestia? You were the one who found me, when I was still an egg, right?”

“That's correct, Spike.”

“You know, Ddraig told me that my father brought three eggs to Equestria, when he became a devil.”

“Did he now?” I can't really tell what she's thinking from the tone of her voice. It's one of the most infuriating things about her, that inability to give a straight answer at times. I have no idea how Twilight can stand it.

I nod. “He did. So I got one question for you: Where are my siblings?”

Author's Note:

:trollestia:

As I was saying, it's been almost a year from start to finish of this story. When I first had the idea for this crossover, I thought it would never work. But then I realized there really were people that were reading and enjoying this story. Many have said that these two franchises simply don't mix well. Maybe I've convinced some people that they have more in common than you'd think at first glance.

At any rate, I appreciate all of you who have liked, favourited and commented on this story. And thank you all for having the patience to stick with me, even when new chapters were few and far between. Your continued encouragement in the comments and in my blog posts has really helped me to keep going. You guys are awesome!

Now, I've already commented on the possibility of a sequel, so let me put it here as well. IF I decide to write one, it would take place after Season 3 of the anime, which doesn't even have a confirmed air-date yet. I'm not gonna start making any plans until then.

Well, this is it, everyone. Thank you all for reading, and have a great day! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 32 )

I'm sad that it's over, but I'm really fucking glad that it happened.
One of the best crossover fics I've read.

Congrats your story was so good now I have to find something to fill the void it left. :fluttercry:
This is Clannad all over again.:raritycry:

Great story. Never thought this would work. But are u going to do a story about spike and his siblings?

5180678
If I ever do write a sequel, then Spike's siblings would probably be part of that. As a separate story revolving only around Spike's search for his siblings? Unlikely.

Nice conclusion, and a nice plot hook for the sequel!

A pity I'll have to wait so long for a sequel possibility - are they even going to make a season 3 of H DXD? - but with your writing, I know it'll be worth the wait.

...I know you say that the sequel won't be until then...but any chance of a spin-off/side story covering those things I suggested regarding "New Spike" and the events of Season 4? I mean, his increase in power and stature is bound to change a few things, let alone what's changed by his newfound unexpected harem. Personally, I'd love a Romance/Comedy/SoL showing how each of the other five - and anyone else who gets involved - makes their first attempts at romantic overtures. (Is it weird I could see Fluttershy's being in "Bats", and being from Flutterbat, resulting in her being able to shift between Fluttershy and Flutterbat at will? That would be yet another parallel between Bishop Fluttershy and Bishop Gaspar Vladi. ...and I now have the mental image of Fluttershy crossdressing. Adorable.)

5181334

are they even going to make a season 3 of H DXD?

I have seen screenshots, unless those were just concept studies. But from everything I know, Season 3 is actually in production. It's basically just a question about when it will air at this point.

...and I now have the mental image of Fluttershy crossdressing. Adorable.)

You mean like this?:twilightsheepish:
fimfiction-static.net/images/story_images/72971.jpg?1356726547

but any chance of a spin-off/side story covering those things I suggested regarding "New Spike" and the events of Season 4?

Unlikely. I don't really like the idea of taking episodes and then altering parts of it just for this. I might make allusions in a possible sequel, but not a spin-off.

Some Season 4 episodes flat-out wouldn't happen with this new status quo. Power Ponies - gone, cause new Spike wouldn't relate to Hum-Drum as much. Simple Ways - gone, with Rarity being in a relationship, the entire premise around her obsession with Trenderhoof falls apart.
Heck, even for the Equestria Games episode, which is centered on Spike, it would remove the entire conflict from that story.

And just doing a rom-com around his new harem? Meh.

Sorry.

5181383
Aww...oh well.

If/when the sequel comes, can we at least get allusions/flashbacks to any first romantic overture attempts that have already happened?

...and is it weird I'm now picturing none of the girls except Rarity finding a good way to show Spike their interest in him has become romantic by the time of the sequel, and then getting advice on how to get the point across from Issei? (After all, if the sequel took place in Highschool DxD world with humanized characters...what if humanized Spike discovered a reaction to the human form?)

5181408
I don't know. Like I said, I'd only sit down and really flesh out what happened in the meantime, if I really got started on the sequel, which I won't right now.

I don't even know what the main plot would be like. So any hypothetical answer I could give you right now, may not even end up in the finished product.

5181498
Oh, alright. I guess I'll just wait patiently, then.

DAMNIT TNK! Make season 3 faster! :D

But in all seriousness, can not WAIT for Season 3, with the appearance of Diodora, Kuroka, Seekvaria, Rossweisse and Odin, Arthur! We finally get a face for Arthur Pendragon!

We also get the new unaired episode in March...!

As for you Naughty-

I have seen screenshots, unless those were just concept studies

What?! Gimme gimme gimme gimme! :D

5182474

I have seen screenshots, unless those were just concept studies

What?! Gimme gimme gimme gimme! :D

Uhm, I was kinda referring to the one you pointed out to me a while ago.:twilightblush:
img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140204043719/highschooldxd/images/3/3c/Ophis_with_Vali.jpg

5182574

Oh, lol :rainbowlaugh:

If I remember correctly, that's supposed to be from the cut scene in the 8th episode of the second season.

Edit: I Guess I should also mention that the possibility of a third season of the anime was high not only because it's supposed to be considered by some to be one of the best ecchi-harem animes in recent history, but also, it's because it's TNK's (the studio that makes it) highest-grossing anime, with nearly every other series they've adapted putting them in the red or close to it.

5182617
Oh, I thought it had to be adapted from Volume 6 and thus well into Season 3.

Well, regardless. There's been a lot of indication that Season 3 is happening, we just don't have a date yet.

Great Story and great Battle... the only thing I didn't liked about it was how Rarity was defeated (I was imagine her avanging all the destroyed Dresses and I don't like defeating helpless Opponents

Nevertheless it was a (like already mentioned) great Story and Spike definitly deserves his Harem :moustache: :ajsmug::pinkiesmile::rainbowkiss::twilightsmile::yay::duck:

Speaking of Reward... you of course deserve something nice to so here is some Money for you (right into your Avatars Cleavage :rainbowwild:)

Nice. Are we getting a sequel?

Nice work, good ending for the story.
Is there going to be another?

Decent if mundane writing, good plot, but I just can't get past the whole harem aspects of this fic. It feels especially grievous when it comes to Spike suddenly being the centre of a Pony harem. There was only build-up for Rarity prior to the Rating game, and honestly, a harem of beautiful females around a young male? So overdone and boring, and very unrealistic. The retconning ("skipped dinner" mention) really made this a male adolescent fantasy.

I liked the strategy involved and some of the action; they were well-thought and planned. I felt the diction could have been better accompanied with a variety of sentence structures. Spike's growth was well handled, although his secret (obfuscated from the reader) "new abilities"... I felt they were kept secret from the reader either for surprise, but they felt very... how should I put it... convenient, maybe?

Some characterization struck me as OOC, but not enough to break immersion. I haven't read High School DxD yet (and from this, I'm not sure I could stand all the harem-around-a-pervert plot point) so I can't comment on any of the cross-over elements.

I stopped reading seriously when A.J. asks for a date in Life 3 - Part 5.

Sorry, this gets a down vote from me for the pony harem. Otherwise, a decent read.

5528119
Fair enough. If you don't like these elements, that's fine. And then I really wouldn't recommend High School DxD to you, even though I personally feel that it's one of the few series that has appeal beyond the "overdone and boring" harem setting.

The sometimes simplistic sentence structure is a direct result of an attempt to emulate the style and feeling of the light novels. As the term implies, they're not really meant to be great, literary masterworks.

I appreciate you giving your honest opinion while highlighting positives as well as negatives. There's just one thing I'd like clarified:

The retconning ("skipped dinner" mention) really made this a male adolescent fantasy.

How exactly is this a retcon? We never see Applejack's immediate reaction to Spike running off after the incident with the stampede. So her bringing it up during the Rating Game doesn't alter any previously established facts.

5528180
I meant it felt like a retcon, in the sense of let's throw that in there just so there seems to be some history even when there isn't (if extrapolating from established canon.)

I've read many harem manga thanks in part to my brother, who had several, including such classics as Takahashi-sensei's (Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku) and Love Hina, and a few more recent ones such as Hyakka Ryoran and Ryozanpaku. Even reverse-harems, I find boring. What I'm saying is I'm not against the DxD harem version, that you brought into the cross-over, but the Ponyville version. Probably one of the reasons I liked Bleach, One Piece and Naruto was because there wasn't a harem in sight. I want to be clear that just because I don't like the harem aspect didn't mean this wasn't entertaining to read.

I liked Spike's development, although I think it would have been cool to see him develop his strength but then keep the actual practical use secret (he figures out a strategy of using his new powers in a tactical manner.)

I like your fic enough to finish reading it, but when I wrote my initial comment, I felt that I had read enough to at least formulate some sort of opinion. Of this morning, I am at the kiss scene in the library (ugh..., Yes, I know.)

I feel that diction, regardless of genre, could be used, not in the sense of artistry, but in the sense of holding a reader's interest, or being able to creatively convey your thoughts in a more.. not so much efficient, but interesting manner. However, the diction in this fic matched the popular style of the genre that you had chosen, a fighting shonen harem cross-over fanfic .

The only real negative I have comes from after I wrote my initial comment, which is Spike swearing. That to me constitutes an extreme break from characterization and completely disrupted my immersion. Taking it from a different perspective, if nopony had ever swore around Spike and he never read a book about swearing, how would he know what words to use? I believe in canon, they would yell or scream of shout unintelligibly to express their emotion. While it would have been in character with Issei to say it (since it's quite normal from his world), having it come out of Spike was very OOC. However, that's the only egregious negative, in my eyes.

5531800

What I'm saying is I'm not against the DxD harem version, that you brought into the cross-over, but the Ponyville version.

Yes, I can understand that. I think the story could have been done without that aspect, focusing only on the Spike/Rarity relationship on the pony side. The reason I did go with the harem route is because it adds to the Spike/Issei dynamic, showing off two characters who are at the same time similar and yet very different. Issei wants a harem, but isn't actually mature enough to realise the one he's got, because of a certain psychological roadblock that is addressed in the light novel, which I won't go into here because of spoilers. Spike doesn't actually want a harem, but his admirable qualities put him in that position, even though he might feel that it's actually getting in the way of his pursuing a relationship with the one he truly loves. That in itself would actually be an interesting thing to tackle in a sequel: Spike wanting to hang on to his friendships with the rest of the Mane 6 without hurting their feelings and the temptation to simply give in to their advances in the face of finally being in a relationship with Rarity.

And I do agree with you on one thing. Yes, judging purely from the MLP side of things, the Mane 6 falling for him one by one during the Rating Game is OOC behavior. However, there's also an external factor at work due to Spike's awakening dragon powers and the lore from the DxD side that entails, i.e. dragons attract females. That's a fact in the DxD universe. So that's at least better than the dozens of Spike harem fics that have the Mane 6 fall in love with him for no reason at all.

As for the swearing ... yeah, you got a point there. Then again, we've seldom seen Spike go into a physical fight with an actual sense of him believing that he can win it. Do keep in mind that Spike can be a bit of a snarky bastard, as seen in Equestria Girls. But you are correct that his upbringing by the polite ponies doesn't really lend itself to him actually knowing any swear words, if nothing else.

Again, thank you for the detailed feedback. All the issues you've raised have given me a lot of food for thought. For example, my decision to get as close to the style of the light novels as possible might have unnecessarily restricted me in the presentation of the story and making things a little more varied.

I'm glad that you liked the story enough to read it all the way through and sum up your feelings on it in such detail. Constructive criticism is always appreciated on my end.

Start on a sequel that depicts an adventure to the underworld or something which leads him to his other siblings!

6621202
I'm actually working on it. But it's gonna take a little while yet. There's a couple other projects I'd like to finish first, and I'd like Season 5 of MLP to finish before I commit myself to another story of this length, so I can actually do it justice.

6621263 That makes sense. It's good to hear that you are working on a sequel. what I'm looking forward to is the 4th season of Highschool DxD that's coming out in December this year.

6627173
Wow, I hadn't even realised that Season 4 had been announced yet. Hadn't expected it so soon. In that case, I'll definitely wait until that has aired as well.

7873726
If a sequel to this story ever comes to pass, I will address Tannin and Spike's relationship. But I don't think I could fit that particular meeting with Ise and Tannin in the mountains in unless I did it in flashback.

As to the other thing you mentioned, I hadn't even considered using any of the existing dragons as Spike's siblings. (Mainly because Garble was the only one we really knew prior to 'Gauntlet.')

Though the more I think about it, the more the idea of making Ember fall in love with Spike and then have her revealed to be his sister appeals to me.:rainbowlaugh: A Princess Leiya to his Luke Skywalker. But that could only work if I said Torch wasn't her biological father and adopted her, and that might be stretching it a little far.

As far as Tannin and Torch's relationship goes. I think Torch might know of Tannin by reputation, being one of the Dragon Kings, but that's about it. I'd say there's three types of dragons in this crossover world I've created. Eastern and Western dragons from the human world, some of which have migrated to Equestria, and a group that was already native to Equestria, which includes Torch and Ember.

7874134
If you really wanted to do the connection between Spike and Ember, have her fall in love with him only to learn he and Torch are siblings. Wouldn't work given what you said about the three groups, but would still be hilarious.

6627600
I wanted to ask you something.

Have you thought about doing another about this crossover?

10782022
Thought about it, yes. I even have a rough outline in my head about what the plot would be for a sequel.
But I do not have the time to write that I used to have, so at the moment it seems unlikely that I'll ever get around to it.

10782205
I have one.

Where Issei ends up in the EQ Girls world. He's at the age before he became a pervert.

Login or register to comment