• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 5,206 Views, 337 Comments

Ponyville DxD - Naughty_Ranko



Celestia has made a bet with the current Demon Lord and now the Elements and Spike, led by Princess Luna must face Rias Gremory and her servants in a Rating Game to determine the Strongest Little Sister. High School DxD Crossover.

  • ...
21
 337
 5,206

PreviousChapters Next
Life 3: The Battle to Determine the Strongest Little Sister Begins - Part 5

Part 5

“It's cheating!” Azazel declares hotly. “This is against the rules and you know it, Discord!”

“Oh, posh. You're just sour, because you didn't think of it yourself,” I retort as we square off against one another.

“I should have known. There are no rules for the Lord of Chaos, are there? You must be so proud of your little cheating squad.”

Glaring at the Fallen Angel Governor darkly, I draw myself up to my full height. “Say about me what you will, but I dare you to speak ill of Lulu or my pony friends again.” Wait? Did really just call them my friends? I really must be going soft.

“Wanna go at it?” Azazel asks with a belligerent expression.

“Bring it!”

“Sit down, both of you!” Celestia says sternly. “This is no way to settle our differences.”

We both get back to our seats while grumbling. “Nonetheless I would appreciate an explanation, Celestia,” Sirzechs tells her in a neutral tone. No more Celly, eh? He's better at hiding it, but he's cheesed off as well.

“Discord!”

“What?” I meet Celestia's gaze and then snap my talons, making the floating cheese grater above the Demon Lord's head disappear. “Fine. I was just trying to lighten the mood.”

Michael clears his throat. “Well, Celestia? Azazel has lodged a complaint against the illegal use of Phoenix Tears by Luna's team. Do you have a response?”

The Princess takes a sip of her tea calmly. “What are you getting at? Phoenix Tears are not illegal in a Rating Game as far as I know.”

“You know damn well that they are considered a treasure and need to be declared as such at the start of the game. They are also restricted to one use,” Azazel contends.

“That may be true. But Philomena's tears didn't exist until she shed them just now. You can't declare something that's not yet come into existence.”

“That's another thing,” Michael says thoughtfully. “Why exactly is your pet phoenix on the field, Celestia? It constitutes an outside interference.”

“How so? I didn't take her there. Fluttershy summoned her. I believe the rules state quite clearly that the summoning of familiars is permitted during a Rating Game. Philomena is Fluttershy's familiar.”

“Aha!” Azazel raises one finger. “But there are restrictions in place to using familiars. I'm pretty sure producing normally restricted substances is one of them.”

“Tsk tsk tsk.” I shake my head, finally realizing the full extent of Celestia's gambit. I'd forgotten how sneaky she can be. Sometime during the thousand years I was encased in stone she must have studied to be a lawyer. “Pretty sure doesn't cut it. Celestia wouldn't teach Fluttershy an illegal move without making her aware of the limitations.”

“Indeed,” she responds, giving me a wink as thanks for backing her up. “I've studied the rules quite extensively. All the limitations imposed on familiars relate to them fighting, as to not make the game a pure battle between familiars while the devils simply observe.”

Azazel's jaw drops. “But … “

Michael has a thoughtful expression on his angelic face and turns towards the current Lucifer. “Sirzechs-sama, is there any precedence for a phoenix being used as a familiar?”

He frowns. “No, no devil has ever managed to acquire a phoenix as a familiar. Even the Phoenix Clan hasn't managed such a feat. They are flighty birds, which makes me wonder how Luna's servant did it.”

“Fluttershy has a way with animals,” Celestia observes.

I can't help but grin. People tend to underestimate Fluttershy, but she's stronger than she looks. She was the only one to resist my games in the maze, the power of Chaos itself is no match for her Kindness and now she's got Heaven and Hell equally stumped with her abilities to befriend mystical creatures.

Michael crosses his arms and looks up. “In that case Philomena's presence on the battlefield does not constitute a breach of the rules,” he muses.

“Oh, come on!”

The archangel holds up one hand in response to Azazel's objection. “However, the use of her tears is another matter entirely. One rule relates to the use of familiars, the other to the use of limited substances. It seems to me that you are trying to exploit a loophole, Celestia, based on the fact there's no precedent to this situation. You could have come to me before the Rating Game to check on the legality of this move.”

Oh, looks like the archangel isn't taken in by her cleverness. Maybe she's gotten too used to doing things her way.

“I assure you, I didn't mean to circumvent your authority in this matter. As the referee for this Rating Game, I'll abide by your ruling.” Heh, spoken like a true politician.

“Hmmmm … “

* * *

“Those are the facts of the matter,” the hologram of Michael, standing in the midst of our base, finishes explaining our supposedly illegal move.

Next to him there's another magical hologram of Rias Gremory, who has her arms folded in a thoughtful manner, but hasn't said anything.

“Since this is an unprecedented event, Team Luna won't be punished. However, I have to make a judgment call here. From this point on you are prohibited from using Philomena's tears as a healing agent.”

Princess Luna nods. “Very well, I'll accept that judgment from the referee.”

Michael then turns toward the enemy [King]. “Rias Gremory, do you accept this ruling?”

“I have one condition.” Here it comes. “While Princess Luna's [Pieces] were healed, my [Pawn] also sustained injuries during the engagements so far. So I would like to request an additional use of Phoenix Tears for my team as well. That would make us even.”

“That would be fair,” Michael acknowledges. “Princess Luna?”

“Agreed.”

“I'll arrive with my [Pawn] shortly.” Her magical counterpart vanishes and a red circle appears on the ground where it was. Shortly thereafter the forms of Rias Gremory and Hyoudou Issei appear.

I don't know why, but it feels somehow wrong to see the enemy [King] in our base as she walks up to Philomena and takes a vial of water out of her skirt pocket. She holds it up to the phoenix which is sitting on Fluttershy's head.

Fluttershy looks over towards Luna, who gives her a nod. “Go ahead,” the yellow pegasus says and a single tear falls from Philomena's eye into the vial.

“Thank you very much,” Rias says with a bow towards both of them. Then she hands the vial to Issei. “Drink up.”

As he drinks the liquid I can see his wounds close up and him standing a bit taller again. Guess that puts us back to square one.

“Rias Gremory,” Luna says. “I admit, I'm curious. You could have asked for more than this.”

“I have no interest in winning this match on a technicality. My future opponents are well versed in the rules and won't just slip up like that. Now we're even and a victory will have significance.”

“Hm, I see.”

As the two devils vanish through the teleportation circle again, I can't hold myself back. “Issei! We are friends, but I can't forgive you for hurting Rarity. I will be the one to defeat you!”

He seems surprised for a moment, but he gives me a confident smile before his face vanishes. “Come at me with all you've got. I'll be waiting.”

After they've returned to their own base, there is a moment of silence followed by that ominous horn sound again.

[The Rating Game between Princess Luna and Rias Gremory will now continue.]

“Odd.”

“What is it, Twilight?” I ask at her comment.

“Don't you find it odd? They could have healed him with their [Bishop], but instead she asked for some of our Phoenix Tears. I didn't want to bring it up while they were here, but it's definitely odd.”

“You're quite right, Twilight,” Luna agrees. “I imagine her real aim was to get a look at our base and its defenses.”

“What's the plan, Princess?” I ask. After seeing Issei I'm pumped up and rearing to go.

“We have to tread carefully from now on. We've played our trump card. Now we can't heal our injured anymore, while they still have the original set of Phoenix Tears they declared as a treasure at the start plus Asia Argento's [Twilight Healing] ability.”

“Should we stick together and defend the base?” Twilight suggests.

But Luna shakes her head. “We can't afford to lose the initiative. Spike, Pinkie Pie and Applejack. You're our strike team. I want you to go after their [Queen]. The rest of you will stay to defend the base. They're sure to try and get Issei a [Promotion] to even the odds further now.”

“Finally,” Applejack says, tipping her hoof against the jewel in her hat again. “It's about time ah get to use this thing.”

I still don't know what that thing actually does, but right now I have another concern on my mind. “Shouldn't Pinkie stay behind as well? The Party Howitzer should be useful for defending the bridges leading to our base, no?”

The pink earth pony giggles. “You mean this thing?” She kicks the contraption with her hind legs and it splutters and puffs sickly for a moment. Then it collapses into a heap of scrap metal. “It doesn't work at all. It's a total bust.”

I stare at her in open-mouthed astonishment. “Then why did you even bring it?”

“Psychological warfare, Spike,” Luna explains. “It's mere presence before the start of the game suggested to the enemy that a raid on our base would be suicide. It's worked in preventing an attack so far. But I'm sure Rias realized that it was a dud, when she was here just now, since it isn't even set up in any significant fashion. It's outlived its usefulness now.”

Unbelievable. The strategic thinking of the two [Kings] is on a completely different level.

* * *

The three of us have crossed the bridge into Ponyville proper again and have turned north in the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

“How exactly are we supposed to find Akeno-san? She could be anywhere.”

Pinkie is bouncing around in front of AJ and myself. Looks like she's been looking forward to getting out of the base. “I have an idea! Spike, will you go out on a date with me, if I find her?”

I stop dead in my tracks and begin to blush. “Wha...? What brought this on?”

“I dunno! It seemed to work for her, when she fought Twilight. Issei promised her a date and she won. It should work for us, too.”

“Classic Pinkie logic,” Applejack says dryly. “The worst part is, she's probably right, even though it doesn't make a lick of common sense. But if ah spot her first, you have to go on a date with me.”

“Applejack! Not you, too!”

She snickers. “Ah'm just kidding. Though Granny was very disappointed that you skipped out on dinner with us the other day.” Uncharacteristically for her she doesn't meet my eyes while saying that, almost as if she wasn't being entirely truthful. “So, uh, the invitation still stands. Maybe just the two of us could be nice. We don't spend a lot of quality time together.”

Is it just me or has everypony been acting weird around me ever since I came back from the Everfree Forest? Before I can explore that thought any further, I'm interrupted by Pinkie's unexpected scream.

“I found her! I found her! I found her!”

Crack! Boooommm!

Both Applejack and I stare in horror at the place where the bouncing pink pony has just been struck by a huge bolt of lightning. “Pinkie!”

I can smell singed mane and her coat is covered in soot. Yet she still has her usual goofy grin on her face, even as the magic aura begins to envelop her body. “Yay, I get to go on a date with Spike,” she says happily, before vanishing from the field.

[Princess Luna's Rook retires.]

All the while the enemy [Queen] Himejima Akeno is hovering overhead with her devil wings extended and lightning sizzling across her fingertips. “Ara ara, sounds like you guys were looking for me, ufufu.”


Team Luna (members still active): 6
Princess Luna [King]
Twilight Sparkle [Queen]
Rainbow Dash [Knight]
Fluttershy [Bishop]
Rarity [Bishop]
Applejack [Rook]
Pinkie Pie [Rook]
Spike [Pawn]

Team Gremory (members still active): 6
Rias Gremory [King]
Himejima Akeno [Queen]
Kiba Yuuto [Knight]
Xenovia [Knight]
Asia Argento [Bishop]
Gasper Vladi [Bishop]
Toujou Koneko [Rook]
Hyoudou Issei [Pawn]

Author's Note:

With a literal bolt from the blue Team Gremory evens the odds as the Lightning Priestess Akeno joins the fray! With numbers on both sides equal again, a whole new Game is about to begin and which side will emerge victorious is anyone's guess!

PreviousChapters Next