• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 5,206 Views, 337 Comments

Ponyville DxD - Naughty_Ranko



Celestia has made a bet with the current Demon Lord and now the Elements and Spike, led by Princess Luna must face Rias Gremory and her servants in a Rating Game to determine the Strongest Little Sister. High School DxD Crossover.

  • ...
21
 337
 5,206

PreviousChapters Next
Life 3: The Battle to Determine the Strongest Little Sister Begins - Part 1

Life 3: The Battle to Determine the Strongest Little Sister Begins

Part 1

I'm practically flying through the woods. I used to run out of breath just running up the stairs of the library. Now I feel like I could run for days. My senses are sharper, too. The perpetual gloom of the Everfree Forest doesn't impede my eyesight in the slightest.

Leaping easily over a fallen log that used to be an insurmountable obstacle, I duck down into the undergrowth. I can smell my prey, its odor is differentiated sharply from the other smells of the forest. My ears twitch, filtering through the myriad of sounds. Birds chirping, small rodents scurrying and the unmistakable sound of the other predators stalking the path.

I peer through the bushes out into a clearing. There he is. Hyoudou Issei. He's managed to learn the spell I gave him with some difficulty and conjured up some clothing for himself. So he looks slightly less ridiculous. As he kneels there, trying to get a campfire going without much success, I once again wonder how he ended up carrying the soul of one of the Heavenly Dragons.

His head comes up sharply at the sound of a snapping branch and he makes the Boosted Gear appear on his left arm. He looks around, trying to fathom where the danger is coming from.

Now! I leap out of the branches and suck my lungs full of air, igniting the fire within me. [Dragon Fire!] I roar and the green flames burst forth from my mouth, missing the young devil by inches and igniting the bushes behind him.

“Ahooo!”

The timberwolves who were hiding there howl in pain at being so close to an open flame. They're made of wood. Of course they'd run from a fire.

Ise looks after them as they retreat with high-pitched whines. “You could have warned me. We could have driven them off together.”

“True,” I grin at my comrade who has spent the last four days here with me. “But I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and get the fire going for you.” My attack has ignited the tinder he had been working on unsuccessfully.

“I think you just wanted to show off with your new powers.” He looks at me. We're pretty much the same height now. “So I guess it really is permanent then, huh?”

“I suppose so.” That infusion he gave me with Ddraig's power awakened something within me. It was weird at first, but now it feels right, like I've always been supposed to be this person but only now got there.

He shakes his head. “Normally [Gift] only increases your power for a short amount of time. Now I feel like I've given my own team a disadvantage.”

We hear giant footsteps crashing through the forest and soon four hydra heads peek out between the treetops. Three of them have lumps on their heads and the fourth one has a black eye. We can't see it right now, but there's some severe claw marks on the massive body.

“Ah, breakfast. Right on time,” Ise comments.

Two of the heads lean down toward us and open their giant maws, depositing a bundle of fish at Ise's feet and a bunch of gems right in front of me. I reach up to stroke the creature. “Thanks, Charlie. You can go back to Froggy Bottom Bog now. We'll be leaving today.”

The hydra grunts and retreats back into the forest. “Who knew this guy would become so tame after we beat him?” Ise says, placing his fish around the fire to grill them.

“I guess it's a dragon thing. Right, Ddraig?”

[Yeah, most creatures respect dragons for their strength. Hydras are powerful beings themselves, so he just needed a little demonstration first.]

I chuckle. “I wonder if Angel Bunny will stop being a pain in front of me now. … Probably not.”

Ise and I sit down to have a bite to eat before we leave the forest. When we're done, he looks me straight in the eye and says. “You know, I didn't think I'd find a new training partner and friend when I came here.” He raises his fist. “But make no mistake, during the Rating Game I'll do my best to beat you. I owe that to Buchou. So no holding back.”

Grinning back at him, I also raise my fist. “I understand completely. No holding back on either side. Come at me with everything you've got, bro.” We bump our fists together. “After all, we're both [Pawns]. We fight for our masters.”

We decide to take it easy for the rest of the day, since the Rating Game will take place in the evening. As the sun dips below the western horizon, we make our way to the exit.

“So you knew all along how to get out of here?” Ise grumbles as he follows me.

“Sure. I've been in the Everfree Forest before. But that would have defeated the purpose of our training, right?”

Unexpectedly all of our friends have already assembled at the exit of the forest. “Alright, alright. Don't take my head off, Rias. I'll go and get them right now.” It's the Fallen Angel Governor Azazel. Looks like Rias was getting impatient to see her servant again.

Suddenly Discord teleports in front of us watching us through binoculars despite being less than two feet away. “Oh, look what I found. The little ones found their way out by themselves.”

“Ise!” “Ise-kun!” Senpai!” Looks like the Gremory team is pretty happy to see their friend. Most of the girls and even Gasper rush in to give him a hug.

I, on the other hoof, am greeted with mixed reactions. Basically they're all staring at me. “Hey, guys,” I say lamely, scratching my cheek. “No hugs for me?”

Twilight trots up to me and looks me over. “Spike, what happened to you?” It's so weird to suddenly be taller than her.

“Don't worry, Twilight. Your books are safe,” I assure her with raised claws. “I'm still me. I'm not gonna …”

“ … go on a rampage across town, turn into a hideous monster and abduct Rarity to stash her away in some dank cave and keep her all to yourself?” Pinkie finishes with a huge grin.

“Uh … yeah … that.” At the mention of her name I look over at Rarity, anxious to figure out what she thinks of the new me. This might bring back bad memories for her. I can't really tell from her expression. She's shocked alright, but to my relief she doesn't look afraid. Is that … Is she blushing?

“Oh my,” I can hear her mutter, before she averts her eyes and starts digging at the ground with her hoof.

I look at the rest of my friends. They haven't changed much in the short time. Rainbow Dash is donning her pegasus armor and Pinkie is pulling that hellish machine she calls Party Howitzer behind her on a cart. AJ is probably the strangest sight. She's wearing a saddle, mostly to have a place to hang spare ropes on and there's an unusual blue gem adorning her hat. Strange time to get fashion conscious.

“So what brought this change about?” Princess Luna asks. She's wearing the same custom Royal Guard Armor she wore during the recent attack on Ponyville.

Before I can answer, Discord claps me on the shoulder and speaks for me. “What do you mean, Lulu? He's still the same dragon. It's called growing up.” He conjures up a magnifying glass and lifts my ear, inspecting it. “Though I hadn't anticipated results like that.”

[I may be able to shed some light on this development.]

Everypony turns toward Ise, but he shakes his head and points at his left arm. Ddraig is the one speaking.

[When Spike came into contact with my power, his own inheritance kicked in, jump-starting his delayed development as a dragon.]

“It's like a growth spurt,” Azazel muses. The Fallen Angel Governor walks up to me and without warning sticks his hand in my chest. He pulls out one of the Evil Pieces I was given. “As I thought. It's turned into a [Mutation Piece].”

“Dude, that's creepy,” I gasp, checking to see that his reaching into me hasn't caused any damage. “Don't ever do that again.”

“What's a [Mutation Piece]?” Twilight asks, curiosity getting the better of her. It does look different. It was completely red before, but now there's some gold trimmings on the [Pawn] piece he pulled out.

“Sometimes there can be unexpected results, when we reincarnate beings that are already supernatural.” It's Rias Gremory who explains. She puts her hands on Gasper's shoulders. “For example Gasper was already a half-vampire before he became a reincarnated devil. It's caused the [Bishop] piece he carries to go through some unusual growth while retaining the abilities he already possessed. It looks like the same thing can happen with a real dragon.”

“That's pretty much my conclusion,” Azazel confirms and puts the piece back into my chest. “It's nothing to worry about, though. If anything, it means he's an even stronger player now.”

“Well, let's finish up the preparations.” Azazel takes a vial with a strange liquid out of his pocket and hands it over to Rias. Then he turns to Michael. “One flask of Phoenix Tears. This'll be the Gremory Group's treasure.”

“Phoenix Tears?” I ask.

“They can heal any wound occurred in battle once,” Discord explains to me. “Very rare and very powerful in a Rating Game like this.”

“How did you get those?” Ise asks. During our time in the woods he told me that he had some history with the House of Phoenix.

“I contacted Ravel. Naturally she was resistant at first, but when I dropped your name, she said: Well, if it's for Ise-sama, that's fine,” Azazel explains. Is Ise blushing? I really gotta wonder about that guy. He says his goal is to build a harem, but he doesn't seem to realize the feelings of the girls around him.

Point of fact, Asia comes up to him and hands him a bundle. “Ise-san. I brought your school uniform. You left so unexpectedly and didn't take it with you.”

“Thanks, Asia,” he says gratefully, before glaring at Azazel. “Leaving wasn't altogether my idea.”

Maybe it's because my senses are more honed now or it's because I naturally always pay attention to Rarity, but I can pick up the quickest of glances and nods between Twilight and Rarity as that particular exchange happens.

Michael then turns toward us. “Both teams are allowed one treasure. Would you like to declare one as well? Any magic artifact that isn't cleared with the judge will lead to disqualification if used during the Rating Game.”

“Ah reckon this thing here is our treasure then,” Applejack says, pointing at the gem in her hat.

Seriously? That's our treasure? What does it do? I decide not to ask, though. After all, I don't want to give anything away in front of our opponents.

Michael nods. “That takes care of everything then. I'll now transport you to the location of the Rating Game.”

He raises his arm and a bright light engulfs all of us. “Good luck, Luna,” I can hear Princess Celestia say.

“Make the House of Gremory proud, little sister,” Sirzechs encourages Rias.

The next thing I know, we're standing in front of Fluttershy's cottage, but everything is weird. The sky has a strange purple colour and there are no animals here. In fact there seems to be no sign of life anywhere. There's no birds chirping, there's not even a breeze.

We can hear Michael's announcement seemingly come out of nowhere. [The battlefield is an exact replication of Ponyville and its surroundings. This artificial dimension is completely devoid of life, so you don't need to be worried about using your powers to their fullest or be afraid of causing property damage. The team that loses their [King] first, loses the match.]

Ah, that's good to know. I haven't really figured out just how much stronger I've gotten. It might have been difficult while holding back.

[Team Luna's base is Fluttershy's cottage in the southeast corner of the town. Team Gremory's base is the school building in the northwest. If during the Game a [Pawn] manages to set foot into the respective opponent's base, they are able to receive a [Promotion]. The judge's panel consisting of myself, Princess Celestia, Discord, Sirzechs-sama and Azazel-sama will be monitoring the Game from a separate location. Both teams now have five minutes to familiarize themselves with the terrain and come up with a strategy.]

I can already see Luna and Twilight putting their heads together, coming up with our opening move.

Everypony seems tense, myself included. I look over at the Everfree Forest, or at least its replica in this pocket dimension, telling myself that I worked hard in there, getting better. Yeah, I can have confidence in my training. I've acquired the strength to really make a difference.

“Spike?” I turn around to see Rarity standing behind me.

“Yeah? What is it, Rarity?” I ask with a lump in my throat. Dear Celestia, I think the worst part of being in these woods for the past five days was not being able to see her. Those crystal blue eyes. That perfectly styled mane, her spotless white coat.

“Can we talk for a minute?” she says, casting a glance over her shoulder at our friends.

“Sure.” We walk a few steps to a more secluded spot. “Guess I don't have the cutest little chubby cheeks anymore, huh?”

“No, you don't,” she says, looking at the ground. “And I suppose I can't really call you my little Spikey-Wikey anymore either.”

Oh no. Please don't tell me. She's appalled by my new form, isn't she?

“Listen, Spike. While you were gone, I realized something. I've always taken you for granted. While I was working on that special project for the Rating Game, I kept calling for you to fetch things for me out of habit. You've always been there before and I missed having you around.”

“Rarity...” I missed you, too.

“I know you had to do what you had to do to find yourself. I don't want to be selfish, but please don't leave again. Everypony would miss you, especially me … “

I kneel down, so we're on the same eye level and take one of her hooves in my claws. “Don't worry, Rarity. I would never leave you. Even if I'm gone, I'll always find my way back to Ponyville, to my friends and to you. That's a promise.”

The way she smiles at me right now, I think I'm gonna have a heart attack. Calm down. Fainting before the Rating Game even begins would be decidedly uncool and I've promised myself to impress her with my new skills.

“I'm happy to hear that, Spike. I hope we can continue this discussion more in-depth after the Rating Game is over.”

“I'd like that.” Ddraig said dragons attracted females. Could this be the effect of my growth? I don't really want a harem like Ise does, though. Rarity is enough for me.

She leans in close. “One other thing. The new you looks rather dashing. So don't worry, your cheeks are just fine the way they are.” Then she gives me a quick kiss on said cheek. “For luck,” she explains by way of a wink and turns around to rejoin our friends.

Okay, forget cool. I probably look like a total dope right now, staring after her like that. But I don't care. I feel like I can take on the entire Gremory Team by myself right now.

“Alright, gather around, everypony.” Luna calls us together. “This is the plan. Fluttershy and I will stay here at the base. Pinkie Pie and Applejack, I want you to establish a defensive perimeter here.” She points at the map in front of her. “There's four bridges that lead to the cottage. If they concentrate on one of them, it would make for a great spot to fend them off.”

“We'll not be staying on the defensive, however. Twilight, Rarity. You came up with this part of the plan, so the opening move belongs to you.” Then Luna looks at me. “Spike, I've got a special assignment for you and Rainbow Dash. If this works, we'll have a tactical advantage for at least the first half of the Game.”

Princess Luna holds out her hoof towards us. “Are you ready?”

We all put our hooves, or claw in my case, on top of hers. “Ready!”


Team Luna (members still active):

Princess Luna [King]
Twilight Sparkle [Queen]
Rainbow Dash [Knight]
Fluttershy [Bishop]
Rarity [Bishop]
Applejack [Rook]
Pinkie Pie [Rook]
Spike [Pawn]

Team Gremory (members still active):

Rias Gremory [King]
Himejima Akeno [Queen]
Kiba Yuuto [Knight]
Xenovia [Knight]
Asia Argento [Bishop]
Gasper Vladi [Bishop]
Toujou Koneko [Rook]
Hyoudou Issei [Pawn]


Extra Stuff:


A map of the battlefield.


Spike's new look is based on the work of ss2sonic. As you can see, he's not suddenly mutated into a badass. He just looks more like a teenager now, but he's still the same old Spike.

Author's Note:

With the return of their dragons, spirits are high on both teams. Next time the Rating Game begins! … What? I really mean it this time.

PreviousChapters Next