• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 2,960 Views, 84 Comments

Adventures In Cake Sitting - JMac



Quizzical Greystone finds herself foal sitting the Cake twins. This is not the worst thing that happens to Quiz this evening.

  • ...
3
 84
 2,960

Part 4 To Light A Fire

Adventures in Cake Sitting

Part 4, the finale: To Light a Fire

“Achoooo!”

A copy of the furnace owner’s manual hovered over Quiz’s nose, next to a book on furnace repair she had summoned from the library. As she paged through them the two rarely touched works shed dust.

A sneezing fit was the least of Quiz’s worries.

Quiz muttered to herself. “There is power and the breaker switches are in order. The fuel oil tank is nearly full. There is a strong pilot light. It appears a faulty safety device is telling the furnace it is unsafe to turn on.”

"Quizzie? Quizzie?”

“Children, stay at the top of the stairs, you are not to come down to the basement. Bother! The troubleshooting guide advises me to contact a service agent. Are these guides not meant to be helpful?”

“Quizzie? Quizzie?”

“Please be still, children, I will come back upstairs in a moment.”

“We break it, Quizzie?”

“What? Oh, I do not think so. The furnace does not know there is a large hole in the ducts.” She continued the thought aloud. “Mind you, trying to blow hot air across the gap in the air system might over tax the furnace, and something might burn out…” She shook her head, and called loudly up the stairs, “No, we are not to blame. Do not worry yourselves with that.”

“Quizzie fix it?”

“I shall have to think.” Quiz concentrated on the problem. She was soon lost in thought, and could hardly hear the Twins calling her name. She also had to put the sounds of the storm out of her mind, and that was much more difficult. The basement was not as well insulated as the rest of Sugar Cube Corner, and the roar of the wind was much louder. To Quiz it sounded like the howls of monsters, and she was not convinced this was just her imagination.

“If I can find the broken component then perhaps I can summon a replacement from Mr. Trane’s parts supply. I could apologize and pay him later…” Few ponies could match Quiz’s skill with the Teleport Object spell, but this would require her to find and summon an object she knew nothing about from a room where she had never been. Difficult, but not impossible. This assumed she correctly guess which part she needed. She could keep trying until she got it right, but the list of possible broken parts was lengthy. Quiz couldn’t keep at it until she froze there, not with the Twins waiting for her.

There was something else she could try. Ponies had been surviving blizzards for generations before they had power or fuel oil or furnaces. It was a simple matter of Quiz working it out.

Something shook Quiz out of her reverie.

“Miss Quiz-kal?”

“What did you call… yes, children, I will be right there.” Quiz galloped up the stairs, and only stumbled a bit when she tried to take three steps with one bound.

“Miss Quiz-kal got an idea! Can see it.”

“It shows, does it? Yes, I have an idea, and you shall help me make it happen.”

“Yay! We help!”

“Exactly. Together we shall build a mighty fortress against the cold.”

#

Clip Board couldn’t hold onto his clip board.

He was in the habit of consulting his board every few seconds, but he was also not in the habit of standing in shrieking winds that would tear the board from his hooves and send it flying away like a lost kite. Clip tucked his clip board away in his pack.

It didn’t matter. He had lists, and numbers, but it all could be better expressed with one word.

Everypony.

No matter where in Equestria they came from, if a pony could reach the storm line in Canterlot this night then they were here. There were pegasi on the line from towns Clip had never heard of. Unicorns who had never cast a weather spell were on the line, trying to tear away at the storm with magic instructions hastily written on note cards. Snow shovels were passed out to every volunteer who wanted one, and when they ran out of snow shovels the ponies improvised. Common ponies, ordinary citizens of Equestria, attacked three story snow drifts armed with only their garden spades.

“You beat us in Ponyville, but that’s the last win you get! We’re going to teach you a lesson you should have learned a thousand years ago.”

The windies and their storm had a tremendous hoof hold. But windigos feed on the bad feelings ponies hold against one another. On this night of team work and cooperation the windigos would be starving.

Clip Board could already feel the change. Clip calculated (in his head, as he couldn’t hold his clip board) that the storm would be pushed back into the Everfree Forest by dawn. They would take back even Ponyville, even if it wouldn’t be until morning.

It would just take a long, scary night of work.

#

To keep it from becoming a long, scary night, Quiz knew she had to keep the Twins engaged. That was not a problem, as many hooves made a task go faster, and there was much to do.

Quiz began by helping them into their wooly snow suites. As she helped them dress, Quiz gave the Twins their orders.

“Gather all of the pillows in the house, and all of your largest, fuzziest toys. Then we need all the warm blankets and quilts. All these things must be brought to the kitchen.”

“What we do, Miss Quiz-kal?”

“We shall keep away the cold as ponies did long ago, as Mrs. Smith did when she was your age. You children know Granny Smith?”

“Granny silly!”

“Yes, perhaps she is sometimes. But she is also wise. You would do well to listen to what she has to say.”

“Granny wise,” mused Pumpkin, thoughtfully. “Miss Quiz-kal wise?”

“Me? No, I fear I am not. But I know enough to learn from those who know better than I.”

“Miss Quiz-kal wise!” protested Pumpkin.

“Yeah!” Pound emphasized his agreement by stomping his hooves.

“Why, thank you for the vote of confidence. We shall see later which of us is right. At any rate, what we shall do is gather all the things we need to stay warm in one room. There we will huddle together to keep each other warm. It is called ‘bundling.’ Ponies have used this strategy to survive blizzards for many years. You have your jobs to do. Let us hurry to do them.”

“Miss Quiz-cal not dressed yet,” pointed out Pound.

“Well, yes…” Quiz had found one of Cup Cake’s warm jackets, but it fit her like a tent, and she couldn’t keep the sleeves rolled up. She knew that walking on the elbows would ruin the garment, and it hurt Quiz to destroy anything more that belonged to the Cakes. But Pound was right. Even a pony as comfortable in the cold as Quiz could feel the temperature dropping. Quiz struggled into the jacket, to the Twins’ apparent satisfaction. “Now, you have work to do. Off you go, both of you.”

“Yay! We build fortress ‘gnst the cold!”

The Cakes had modernized their kitchen, but they had not discarded their oldest appliances. Quiz found an old wood burning stove in one corner, and lit it. She then hung sheets to form partitions around it, to contain a little more of the warmth.

While Pound buzzed about gathering items, and Pumpkin levitated and teleported others, Quiz opened all of the faucets in the home and set them to drip. She hoped this would keep them from freezing, at least enough so the pipes wouldn’t break.

This left Quiz with one last task. She unlocked the door to Pinkie’s bedroom and entered.

“Miss Pinkie? I need you to wake up.”

“Madam La Flour, you dance divinely. And who would have thought you were so light on your feet, Big Mac?”

“Bother.” Quiz took Pinkie’s mattress in her teeth and dragged it, along with Pinkie, to the head of the stairs. There she paused, exhausted from her efforts.

“Please, Miss Pinkie, I need you to walk down the stairs. I shall do anything you ask if you will do this for me. I cannot leave you up here to freeze. I will listen, as you play the flugelhorn again. I shall even make a request. Play ‘Land Of Make Believe.’ I am not partial to it, but it is a favorite of my little sister’s…” Quiz began to weep. “Please, Miss Pinkie…”

“I need to make more punch,” muttered Pinkie. Then she rolled over, and faced away from Quiz.

Quiz could think of nothing to do but pull the mattress down the stairs. If it got away from her it would run like a sled, and Quiz would have nothing for brakes but her own hooves (or, more likely as these things went, her head).

Pinkie and the mattress glowed with an aqua aura, rose a few inches into the air, and began to glide down the stairs.

“Pumpkin?! Are you doing this?”

“Pumpkin do it!” cried the little filly.

“Well, that is quite extraordinary.” Quiz was amazed and impressed by Pumpkin’s magic, and a little bit frightened as well. But mostly she was relieved. The mattress, Pinkie and all, was soon down the stairs, and situated in the kitchen, as close to the oven as Quiz believed safe.

“The mattress will make a fine foundation for our fortress. But Miss Pinkie is in the way.”

“Show you trick,” declared Pound. Then he laid out a quilt in front of Pinkie, with one corner near her face.

“Pinkie! Show us burrito!” the Twins called in unison.

“Okie Dokie Loki,” sighed Pinkie, sleepily. Then she took the corner of the quilt between her teeth, and rolled herself up in it.

“Pinkie chimi-cherry!” laughed Pound.

“No. Pinkie cherry-chonga!” insisted Pumpkin.

“Chimi-cherry!”

“Cherry-chonga!”

“Children, please stop. Miss Pinkie is a cherry chimichonga.”

That settled, they piled cushions onto the mattress and rolled Pinkie back into place. Everypony was wrapped in blankets, and then Quiz settled the Twins in to huddle closely next to Pinkie. All three were wrapped together with another layer of blankets. Then Quiz built a wall around them with the remaining pillows, leaving it open where they faced the oven. Quiz hope this would help trap a bit more heat for them.

Finally, Quiz threw the quilt and heavy blanket she had saved for herself over her shoulders, and took a seat by the oven door.

“Miss Quiz-kal not cuddle with us?” asked Pumpkin.

“Perhaps latter,” lied Quiz. “For now I have to tend to the fire.”

A bell tone rang.

“Sweetie Belle calling!” sang the Twins.

“Yes. Well, let us see what she has to say.”

“Hello, Sweetie Belle.”

“Hi, Quiz. Checking up on you, since you never called back. You never call back.”

“It has been a busy night.”

“Has anything else gone wrong? Are you OK?”

“Yes. I will be fine.”

“Oh, darn.” Quiz planted both her fore hooves against her face and shook her head. “I really must learn not to say that.”

“OMC Quiz! You are infuriating! What’s wrong?!!!”

Pumpkin giggled, “Sweetie Belle call you infurrytating again?”

“Indeed she has. Now I must answer to her.”

“No fibbing,” said Pound.

“I shall be honest, mostly.”

“I have found an upside to tonight’s events.”

“Oh, what’s that?”

“My parents worry constantly that I never spend any of my allowance. I will soon have a large purchase to show them.”

“Hmmm?”

“Tomorrow I will have to hire contractors to repair Sugar Cube Corner.”

“What you say, Miss Quiz-kal?” asked Pumpkin.

“I am telling Sweetie Belle about our fine fortress. She is jealous.”

“Sweetie Belle got a fortress ’ganst the cold, too?”

“The children want to know if you are as warm and cozy as we are.”

“Oh, yeah. And we are having a great time. Pip knows lots of games. Oh, and he thinks he looks pretty good in the wig.”

“Please tell me you are joking.”

“I’m joking.”

“What she say?” demanded Pound.

“Their fortress is not as nice as ours, but they are still having fun. They are much better at that than I am.”

“Miss Quiz-kal kinda fun,” said Pound.

“You said that I am no fun at all. That is inconsistent.”

“In-can-sissnt?”

“Very close.”

“You still aren’t telling me everything. You’re worried about something, I can tell.”

“I am a little concerned about the furnace.”

“Oh. Well, yeah, ours is working pretty hard, too. But they’re built for this. The heaters won’t break down.”

“I am comforted to know that your heating system will survive the night.”

“Quiz, when I see you tomorrow… find out…not…ing…sooooo mad…”

The Note disappeared with a ‘pop.’

“What happen?” asked Pumpkin.

“Magical interference, perhaps from the storm, perhaps from the unicorns fighting it. We may not hear from Sweetie Belle again tonight. It is just as well. My friends should get to sleep. So should you.”

Pound gave a mighty yawn. “Not tired,” he lied.

“Story?” asked Pumpkin.

“If you insist. How about “The Very Hungry Ladybug”…?”

“Make up a story!”

“Oh, dear.” Quiz had told one story from memory tonight, and she was still amazed that she had even that one story in her. As was her habit, when faced with an audience, Quiz summoned visual aids to distract their attention.

“I do have a trick I can show you.” Quiz had been improving her magic blackboard spell. She had studied drawing, and felt her skills as an artist were nearing adequacy. She had also discovered a phenomenon she called ‘continuance of vision. If she envisioned several drawings, each slightly different, and she presented them in quick succession, then the drawing appeared to move.

Hovering over the Twins heads, a cartoon baby ursa began to dance.

“Ooooooh! Miss Quiz-kal show us a story!”

“If you insist, I shall do my best. What do you want the story to be about? Pirates? Ninjas?”

“Super heroes!”

“I might have known.” Quiz had seen Mr. Cake’s collection of graphic novels. “Let me think… our story begins with two young ponies. They were twins, and they were very powerful.”


A unicorn and a pegasus, each wearing a cape and mask, appeared on the magic blackboard. The characters saluted Pound and Pumpkin.

Quiz continued. “They were called… Miss Magic Pants, and the Mighty Pounder. They performed many heroic deeds, but their greatest feat was the foiling of a plot to turn Equestria into ice…”

The tale unfolded, and the super twins fought their way through armies of minions, and the dreaded sidekicks Inconsistant Filly and the Hypothetical Projectile. Finally, they reached the lair of the super villain Miss Infuriating, and gave her a sound thrashing to save the day.

Quiz was embarrassed by her amateurish efforts, though she forced herself to continue to the finale. The twins sat entranced.

The spell was broken by an unprecedented roar from the storm. It was so loud it made Quiz jump. The Twins were terrified.

“Storm not just storm! Storm not safe!” cried Pumpkin.

“Hush, children, you are safe. It is true, this storm is not natural. But it is only windigos, and windigos cannot enter this house.”

“Windigos?”

“Windigos are the bad things from the First Hearth’s Warming story. You know that story, do you not?”

Both foals nodded enthusiastically. “Good story, very good story. Teach…ponies should be good to each other.”

“That is correct.”

This seemed to worry them. “Windigos come when ponies are mean to ponies?”

“It hardly ever happens, but yes.”

The Twins shot each other a worried look.

“What is the matter? Tell me, please.”

After a long silence, Pound spoke. “The storm our fault?”

“What! Certainly not. Whatever would make you think that?”

“Made Miss Quiz-kal mad,” said Pound.

“Oh. Well, it is true I was very cross with you when you would not mind while I tended to Miss Pinkie. And I believe there were other times… never mind. We are all quite over that.”

“Made Miss Quiz-kal sad,” whispered Pumpkin.

“Um, well, yes,” admitted Quiz. “Perhaps you did hurt my feelings, a bit. I was prepared to accept that you simply did not like me.”

“No! Like Miss Quiz-kal!”

“Like you lots and lots!”

“Oh, my… why… thank you.” Quiz stammered. She blushed. “I have grown quite fond of you both as well.”

The storm roared again.

“Never mind that,” said Quiz, affecting a casual tone. “It sounds scary, but windigos only make that sound when they are losing. All the weather ponies outside must be driving them away right now.”

“Really?”

“Absolutely.” Quiz had no idea, but it sounded reasonable. “But if you really wish to annoy the windigos then I have a plan.”

“Tell us!”

“You both love Miss Pinkie, do you not?”

“Yes, very much!”

“Then snuggle close to her, and keep her safe and warm. That will show the windigos that you care, and there is nothing here to interest them. And if you care then the windigos cannot come near this home.”

“Ok,” said Pumpkin, and Pound nodded in earnest agreement. “But Miss Quiz-kal should snuggle, too.”

“I… yes, later. But for now I still have work to do.”

As the Twins finally drifted off to sleep, Quiz started a kettle to make a pot of tea. She was too young to be allowed caffeine without permission, but she felt she could be forgiven, just this once.

She felt guilty about what she had just told the children. It seemed as if she was holding the Twins responsible for keeping the windigos at bay all by themselves. It did not occur to Quiz that there was more than one way to show the windigos that you cared.

She made her first mug of tea, and prepared to keep vigil all night.

#

“Quizzical?” The Twins were still only half asleep when Pinkie woke up.

“Miss Pinkie! How do you feel?”

“I’m a little head-achy.” Pinkie frowned. “Quizzical, are we going to be OK?”

Quiz was about to answer that she did not know, when Pumpkin stirred. “Sure we be OK. We got Miss Quiz-kal.”

“Yep,” agreed Pound.

“Alrighty then.” Pinkie took this as all the answer she needed. “I think I’ll go back to sleep now.”

“That is a good idea, Miss Pinkie. You should get back to your party. Your guests will wonder where you are.”

Pinkie laughed softly. “I love it when you joke, Quizzical. I wish more ponies knew how funny you are. But, you know, in my dream I can’t find you anywhere. I know you were sent an invitation…”

“Try looking in the shadow the couch casts on the wall, Miss Pinkie.”

“Oh, good idea.” Pinkie faded back to sleep.

#

Quiz did her homework. She reviewed all the notes she had made that day. As a lark, she made notes on what happened at Pinkie’s dream party – she planned to ask Pinkie later just what Gummy had done that was so very funny. She composed her weekly report to Princess Luna, but after reading it through she realized she had best write it over later. The letter reflected Quiz’s mood, and it read like Quiz thought it was the last report she would ever make. She wanted very badly to get up and try to clean the house. One of a foal sitter’s duties was to clean up after the children have gone to sleep. Disorder offended Quiz to the core of her soul, and to leave the house as it was broke her heart. But Quiz would not leave the Twins and Pinkie. Also, she knew that just beyond the screens she had hung the house was freezing.

Quiz surprised herself by how much tea she drank.

But mostly, Quiz calculated fuel.

She timed the burn rate of every other stick of wood she put in the oven. Since she could not see a clock, Quiz counted the seconds in her head. She made mental calculations, then cast her magic blackboard and did the calculations again.

She did not have quite enough fire wood to last until dawn.

Summoning wood from the Cake’s wood pile did not work. It had frozen into a solid block, and Quiz could only teleport objects she could lift. A solid cord of wood was beyond her.

Quiz reached out to the wood box by the library fireplace. She sensed it was empty. Spike could be forgiven for not filling it, as he and Twilight were visiting Canterlot, and Quiz was, as expected, spending the night at Sugar Cube Corner. Why fetch wood when no one was there? That this would inconvenience Quiz was not something he could predict.

Quiz could think of no place else to find fire wood. She could put it off for quite some time, but eventually she knew she would have to go get it the hard way. At least she had a snow shovel. Mr. Cake had left his by the front door, in preparation for the First Snow.

“Quizzical? Darling, can you read this?”

This Note was not Sweetie Belle’s blue aura. It was a dark emerald aura Quiz knew very well.

“Mother?”

“I like this new spell of yours, Quiz, Dear. It’s quite delightful.”

“Mother, how are you doing this?”

“The Princesses are using their power to extend the range of the spell. They feel they owe our family a favor, something to do with putting every pony we employ, along with every piece of equipment we own, into the streets to move this awful snow. All I asked for is a chance to speak to you.”

“Is the storm truly that bad?”

There was a long pause before Beryl Greystone answered. Quiz imagined her choosing her words with care.

“Do not be alarmed, Darling, but at the moment Ponyville has no protectors. Weather Patrol was forced to retreat. The new storm line they formed in Canterlot has turned the tide. Still, I worry about you.”

“Worry will do you no good, Mother.”

“What a bland way of telling me nothing, Quiz. What is happening there?”

“I am coping, Mother.”

“Seriously, Quizzical, are you actually trying to be evasive? With me?”

Quiz sighed. She was an expert at hiding her feelings, and she had a lifetime of practice at withholding details she did not want to share. None of this would help her now. Quiz now faced the one pony from whom she could keep nothing.

“Tell me, everything, Quizzical. I expect details and complete candor.”

“Yes, Mother.”

So Quiz told her everything.

This took a bit of time.

“My poor Darling! You find so…excitement…know…hate it so.”

“Mother, I am losing the spell.”

“Is this better? Yes, I did not get the last bit you sent. We do not have much time. Know that the Weather Pegasi are half way to Ponyville. I am with the unicorns supporting them, and we are following close behind on a train fitted with a plow head. I shall reach you with the dawn. Many of your friends and the Cakes are with us. Be brave, be strong, and remember that the children trust you and small ones have an instinct for these things. This night… last… you… fine. I….”

The Note went blank, then disappeared. “Good bye, Mother.”

It helped Quiz immeasurably. She felt better than she had all day. But there was one problem. “What was the last bit I said, that she did not get? Oh. Yes. That I am running out of firewood.”

#

It was still fully dark when Quiz put the last piece of wood in the oven. She estimated that there was a half an hour before first sun light.

Quiz got up and pushed past one of the sheets around their warm little enclosure. Cold air entered, and the Twins stirred. “Hush, now,” said Quiz, in the most soothing tone she could summon. “I am just going outside and may be some time.”

The Twins immediately settled back into a deep sleep, and did not hear the front door open and close.

#

The sun rose on a beautiful day in Ponyville. There was not a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind, and the bright sun immediately warmed the town and began to melt the snow.

A team of stallions pushed a snow plow to the door of Sugar Cube Corner. Emergency Medical ponies followed close behind, pulling an ambulance. A large entourage of ponies followed them.

They found Pinkie and the Twins sleeping so soundly they did not hear the crowd’s arrival, and only awoke when Mrs. Cake embraced her babies. They were genuinely surprised by all the commotion.

Quiz was not there.

This inspired panicked searching. The search was interrupted by Quiz, dragging a canvas carrier of firewood, coming up behind everypony.

“Um… hello?”

She had tunneled all the way to the wood pile, and broken loose the wood she needed with just her hooves.

Several ponies rushed to Quiz. Beryl Greystone got there first. Mother and daughter buried their faces in each other’s mane. Several other ponies, including Quiz’s father and brother, and Twilight Sparkle, gathered around them but stood back and did not interrupt. Quiz soon noticed all the attention.

“Mother, there are a great many ponies here.” Quiz trembled, and it was unclear it was more from the cold or a desire to hide.

“Yes, there are, Dear. You really shouldn’t be surprised.” Beryl cast a warming spell on her daughter. “There, is that better?”

“Yes, Mother. I can already feel my hooves again. Oh, dear, that is actually rather painful.” Something else worried Quiz. “Mother, the fire..?

“Down to embers, but still burning and warm. You would have made it back in time.”

“Quizzical Greystone!” Carrot Cake yelled as he pushed through the crowd to reach her.

“Mr. Cake, Sir, I am so very sorry… eurk!”

Carrot enveloped her in a hug that took Quiz’s breath away. He began to carry Quiz into the kitchen. “Quickly, Quiz, the children woke up and you weren’t there. They won’t settle down until they see you.”

The Twins could be heard crying. “Where Miss Quiz-kal? Want Miss Quiz-kal!!!”

Carrot set Quiz down in front of them. “Children, what is all this shouting about?”

She was answered with a flying glomp that knocked her on her back. The Twins perched on Quiz’s stomach, and clamped on. Quiz was so stunned she just laid there and took it. If she enjoyed it at all she did not let on.

Eventually, they had to be separated, as everypony needed to be evacuated to someplace warmer.

“Miss Quiz-kal come back, sit for us again?” asked Pumpkin.

“Come back soon?” asked Pound.

“Well…” Quiz paused to consider. “I must first look at my schedule. And a weather report.”

#

Outside, the plow stallions were moving on. One asked “Where are we heading next, Wheelie?”

“The Sofas and Quills warehouse,” answered his partner. “Mr. Rich says his daughter was trapped there all night.”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading.

Comments ( 50 )

Aww, poor Diamond Tiara. I really liked this story. The way you portrayed the twins was great.

“I am just going outside and may be some time.”

Quiz of the Antarctic!

Great story.

:pinkiehappy:
Persistent little filly, isn't she? :rainbowdetermined2:
Wonder what got the Wendigo's panties all in a bunch?
Your endings still feel very sparse. I know I have said this on just about every story, and it is probably getting a bit obnoxious,:fluttershyouch: but the last part needs some elaboration to close the story up. Otherwise it just seems like a chapter ended, not a story.

2902545 Thank you for recognizing the Oates quote. Adds a poignant yet creepy feel to the scene, doesn't it?

There's another freezing reference. The title "To Light A Fire" is from a Jack London short, which does not end as well as this tale does.

2904017
Oh yes! I remember reading that story back in middle school.

2902558 I don't know what happened to set off the Windys. But I do know it's a story worth writing, and also a story I don't want to write (Hint, hint, authors looking for an idea, I'm looking at you).

As for my endings, what can I tell you? I write a climax, which is the big finish, then I write a catharsis, in which I wrap up anything else I have to say. The Climax is the last dance. The catharsis is the janitor coming into the empty gym to sweep up. The catharsis needs to be as short as humanly possible.

Way to save the night, Quiz.

2904077
But it seems to lack a proper resolution to the things that happened within the story. Like the Cakes seeing their living room, (and Quiz's apologies. I can just imagine Carrot trying to convince Quiz she doesn't need to pay for the damages. And when he loses that argument, having to haggle her down from bankrupting herself.) or the Sweetie Belle finding out that Quiz is okay, and wheedling the story out of her.
I agree that the falling action shouldn't be too terribly long, but in this case it seems almost non-existent. As if the story is working itself up to speed, and at the climax it is at a full gallop, and then there is walk down, but a fairly abrupt stop. It leaves the story feeling somewhat unfinished.

Okay, I think I'm done now. I'll stop bothering you about it. :twilightoops:

2904017
I recognized it too!
(Mostly via Terry Pratchett, though. He apparently uses that one a lot.)

2905501 This is actually a change of topic. I found the two examples you gave of unresolved plots amusing.

You wanted to see Sweetie Belle give Quiz heck for keeping her plight a secret. Whenever Quiz's self worth issues and nonsensical thinking about herself gets to be a bit much, perhaps to the point where the reader wants to shake her until she sees sense, I have Sweetie Belle yell at her. That a reader wants more of this means I'm either doing something right, or something wrong. I'm not sure which.

As for paying for the repairs, the scene would go like this - Chisel Greystone Sr. hands Carrot a check. Carrot reads it and faints. Remember, Quiz is part heiress to possibly the biggest family fortune in Equestria. I down play this as much as I can. Quiz's frugal lifestyle makes all the other characters forget about her money. I have to do this. If Quiz ever starts flashing her checkbook I risk losing her status as Not-A-Mary-Sue, because cash is the greatest superpower (ask Batman).

Oh my, this is so cute!

ah man you got some good feels in this story!:raritycry::pinkiehappy::fluttershbad::twilightsheepish:

I love how the twins interact with quiz throughout this story. You can tell that they like her but can also see why quiz would think they disliked her.

yep you were right this thing need more views! :twilightangry2:

10/10 would quiz again.

i really wanna know what happened with diamond tiara...

Great story though, always are.

3197741 Pinkie appreciates a good flugelhorn virtuoso.

3231710 I know, it's a fudge. But it's a cute image and I couldn't resist.

Huh, Thought this was about sitting on cake.

Am I the only one who thought this story was about ponies sitting on cake? :derpytongue2:

~Flutter

3438269 No you werent...No you werent...
Was I the only one disappointed that that wasnt what it was about?:rainbowhuh:

3319870>>3438269>>3480708 Well, I would certainly be disappointed if you were all disappointed.

The lack of a Random tag might have hinted that this wasn't about sitting on cakes.

3480771 I wasn't dissapointed, I was just....Laughing to hard disapointed.... If you know what I mean:twilightsheepish:

That was good thanks for writing the story.
The ending was really funny.
I can really connect with your main character, it's hard to explain but I can.

Thanks you :twilightsmile:

3482823 I find myself connecting to the main character as well:twilightsheepish::twilightsmile:

continuance of vision.

Frist a Instant messaging service. Now a Movie player... Quiz why are you a robot?

She was answered with a flying glomp that knocked her on her back

Dawwwww

Oh Luna, Quiz. Those super hero names are just so you. Villeins are your old nick names.. Really? Ha Go Mighty Pounder and Magic Pants.

Aww, no Pony ever gets the important parts of the messages.
---
Well it was a fun read. My time thanks you as do I.
The grammar was good, the plot interesting, and the characters we great.
Ending was sufficient and funny. Though a few reactions were cut.
It gets a 5/5 .
Pinkie Pie's Smile Party Association style.

Keep making great storys and improving.

3764041 Quiz isn't a movie player, she's a cartoonist/animator. She's begining to discover her own imagination.

It's always an honor to get a PP-SPA rating, especially a 5/5!

This is wond'rous!
Like-Favourite-Follow

Your story has been reviewed by the Purest of Logics, PureLogic! You may find this review here! ENJOY IT! I hath bequeathed unto you nine out of ten pinkie smiles!
:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

I sense karmic balance hitting Diamond Tiara for some reason...

On the other hand, I don't believe DT could have handled the situation at Sugarcube Corner nearly as well as Quizz had, so maybe all she had to deal with was boredom and not being able to go home.

4115084 Or perhaps this: Warehouses are not usually heated. :raritywink:

4172443

Pinkie Pie: "Silly Ellington! There's always time for a concussion!" :pinkiehappy:

Pinkie Pie: "Or was that "there is always time for cupcakes?'" :pinkiesmile:

Twilight Sparkle: :facehoof:

Quizzical makes best xylophone mallet?

This had way more humour than I had originally expected. You're quite good at it, JMac.

Oh, and Diamond Tiara probably had the crappiest night, all alone. It would've gone better for her if she had babysit the Cake twins.

Who wants to be alone in a blizzard?

I wonder if she resorted to eating the couches and using their wooden frames as firewood...

4480083 You're very welcome. That's the whole point, really.

I came here from the Unwarranted Congratulations group.

4282740 Irony, I guess. I think. That IS how irony is defined, right?
That said, I don't think that anybody deserves being stuck in a place through a frostbite-inducing blizzard wherein people were genuinely afraid that they wouldn't survive. Not even Diamond Tiara.
The revelation that she ended up there was no less hilarious, though.

2904017 Yes, that Oates quote was perfectly timed to hit me hard. Well done.

It is sometimes in the hardest of times of existence that true heroism comes to light.
Weather it be the massive news of many coming together to help, or the small, often forgotten stories of bravery and self sacrifice.

I feel that the finding of Quiz part could have been drawn out a bit more tho. A little bit more suspenseful.

Wlep, on to the next one.

So then what caused the Wendigos to attack Equestria with such ferocity then?

JMac #38 · Dec 29th, 2014 · · 1 ·

5436311 Something (outside the story) must have happened in the Everfree. It might have been as little as a handful of ponies getting into a fight. On any other day this would have been just a small meal for the windies, a freak cold front would have risen over the forest then dissipated. On this day that front collided with snow clouds poised over every town and city in Equestria.

Another excellent story, on to the next!

Hah! Nicely done, Quiz, nicely done.

You know, I bet that Diamond is regretting that trade she made now.

Yay! Wow... so Pinkie talks in her sleep a lot huh..

Why not burn paper or other things? I'm sure Quiz knows where to get extra, blank, paper, and therefore, paper to BURN... Or she just didn't think of it in the stress of the moment, I guess?

Missing comma:

"hung the"

6016793 Um... no. I didn't think of that. Quiz may be a lot smarter than me, but her ideas are still limited to how smart I am. In my defense, paper isn't nearly as good for warmth as wood - it burns too fast and you don't get coals. But, yeah, it would have worked for that last hour she needed.

Something did occur to me that I knew Quiz would reject outright. She could have broken up some furniture for firewood. But Quiz would not find the idea of destroying any more of the Cake's posessions conceivable. She'd rather go out in the storm and tunnel her way to the wood pile.

Mr. Rich says his daughter was trapped there all night.

Oh Karma, you devilish minx :trollestia:

I think the Baby Cakes enjoy anypony they can torture. Reminds me of human children...

It appears a faulty safety device is telling the furnace it is unsafe to turn on.

I guess Quiz wouldn't know how to remove the safety device altogether, or break the safety device to make it say the opposite?

Well, still enjoying this!

... How did Diamond Tiara survive in the warehouse? ... I guess it's a temperature-controlled warehouse or something. Or Diamond Tiara came up with a solution like Quiz did. She knows lockpicking after all, as seen in Basements of Doom, so it's not impossible...

7146565 I'm pretty sure there are laws that don't let you explain in detail how to circumvent a safety device in the owner's manual. Even if I'm wrong, and this isn't actually illegal, doing so would still not be good for your liability insurance (on a side note, I just realized that I used "actually" every other sentence when responding to you).

I've never given much thought to what happens to DT during the blizzard, but I do know she isn't alone. She's trapped with Mr. Davenport.

Wait... Did they make-up Pipsqueak or not?

Also... Nobody Poops... But, hey, TropesAreTools.

A thoroughly charming little adventure. It's very entertaining to listen to Quiz's thought process here; the way she analyzes each problem as it comes up and acts to find an appropriate solution is a mentality sadly lacking from the vast majority of characters. The callback to the fire and Quiz leaving herself out, only to have the twins compliment her was adorable, in fact all of the interactions between the cake twins and Quiz were pretty great. I honestly can't think of anything I didn't really like in this story; the twins overwhelming power notwithstanding. Another like and favorite from me.

Ah another great tale in this universe!

Time to reread the other!

Login or register to comment