• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,505 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,505

PreviousChapters Next
11: Crystal Clarity by warpd

Crystal Clarity by warpd

********************************

Come one, come all to the 200th annual Crystal Fair celebration. This special year marks our two hundredth anniversary since the rebirth of our fair Crystal Empire. For our opening ceremony our anthem will be lead by a duet. Normally a crystal pony and a human would perform, but this year we have special players. Our very own Princess Cadence will be the instrument and the founder of crystal vibrancy Prince Bellerophon Michaelides. This will be the first time our Princess Cadence will be used for the performance and the first time in 150 years since Prince Michaelides has played in the opening ceremony. Do not miss this once in a lifetime chance...

Lero sighed as he placed the pamphlet down. He collapsed back down on the chair and his hands rubbed the edges of his face. The long red hair hung low and shielded him from the rest of the world. His purple suit wrapped around him belied his depressed demeanor. The crystal threads made the suit glow while the embroidered six pointed magic star twinkled. Platinum buttons lined the front pocket and the opened single-breasted jacket.

“Lero?” He looked up at his duet partner. Cadence hadn’t aged a day since they had first meet. The crystal enchantment made her translucent body sparkle. “Are you going to be ok?”

Lero sucked in a breath of air and released it slowly. “Ya, ya I’m fine. Just stuff you know.”

“Please share with me. Why is your heart so pained?” Cadence nestled close to the human. “I’ve always enjoyed the love that illuminated from you.”

“Well the last time...the last time, “Lero suppressed a cough, “I did something like this it was with Rainbow.”

“I can still feel your love for her.” Cadence smiled softly. “Please go on.”

“It was her final request. If you remember Lyra had passed a few months before.” Lero rubbed his eyes as they started to itch. “Rainbow felt her time coming so she wanted me to play her. So I did, in her final moments as I held her, as she left to join Lyra, I played one last melody with her.”

“So when we just practiced it reminded you of her.” Cadence whispered as she remembered his hands on her wings.

Lero nodded. “I tend to walk around when I am upset. Sorry, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

They were silent for a few moments until Cadence spoke up. “Twilight told her she made you mad.”

Lero glanced up, his eye contact with her did not waver. “What did she tell you?”

“Nothing, but she was about to break down.” Cadence answered. “She was going on and on how you would leave her and it was all her fault.”

A humorless chuckle breached Lero’s lips. “That silly filly. Still to this day she worries about offending her stallion. I can’t tell you how much I don’t deserve her.”

“So what happened?”

Lero hesitated. His breath slowed as he gathered himself. “Luna...Luna gave us a flower. Twilight accepted it, I didn’t.”

“Twilight wanted to expand the herd from just the two of us. It had just been us ever since Rainbow and Lyra passed on. I can’t do it though. So we got into a fight. Said a few things I should have never, ever, have said to her. She said I was being cruel and I said she didn’t love me anymore. So, so stupid of me.”

Cadence sat across from Lero. “I thought Luna and you both were really close to one another.”

“We are, but I’m not sure if I can be her lover.” Lero tightened his hands around each other.

Cadence placed her hoof on his fists. “Are you scared that you will be unloyal to Rainbow and Lyra?”

Lero opened his fist and held her hoof. “Probably a factor, but mostly I am terrified. It is getting harder and harder to remember things from long ago. I...I can’t remember Lyra’s voice.”

Cadence's eyes widen as her other hoof came up to his hands. “That shouldn’t happen are you sick with something?”

“Well apparently my so called ‘immortality’ was a given to me by literally ripping the mortality out of me. Well that is all they did, my mind is still that of a normal person.” Lero tapped the side of his head to make his point. “After fifty years those memories fade.”

Tears welled in Lero’s eyes once again as Cadence wrapped him in her wings. “Have you told Twilight?”

“No, I figured it was a natural thing and magic can’t restore my memories. Didn’t want to bother he-OW!” Lero yelped as Cadence nipped his shoulder.

“You idiot what makes you think anything you do bothers her? She might not be able to restore you, but she can share her memories with you.” Cadence sat up on her haunches. “I’ll have you know alicorns’ have fantastic memories. I can remember what my dear Shining Armor had for lunch on his forty second birthday!”

“But what about when the spell fades?” Lero rubbed his poor shoulder. “Spells don’t last forever.”

“Then she’ll cast them again and again. As many times as you desire.” Cadence poked him in his belly which made him flinch. “You need to see your wife. Talk to her about your worries and about Luna. If you are having memory problems then you probably don’t recall the last thing Rainbow told you.”

“Well I can sort of remember that.” Lero smiled a bit. “A little.”

“Here is a refresher then. ‘Lero, I love you. No matter how far you go or what you do from now on I will always be with you. That feather will last as long as you will. Take care of Twilight and never leave her. Don’t be afraid to love somepony else--”

“‘Because you are happier when you have a family.’ I remember that now.”

“Well then, we can practice again in a few hours.” Cadence grinned as she got up. “Go on.”

Lero bent down and hugged the Crystal Princess. “Thank you.”

“Not a problem. Now go get her.”

PreviousChapters Next