• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,504 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,504

PreviousChapters Next
83: Death of a Knight by warpd

Death of a Knight by warpd

*************************

Princess Celestia’s golden shoes echoed through the hospital halls. The Ponyville hospital wing was vacant from pony visitors, patients, and staff. Most would find the eerie silence in a place where life and death dance hoof in hoof to be rather unnerving, especially when they knew they were about to face a monster. However, Celestia found it rather quaint. Luna would probably object her sister’s decision to leave behind the guards.

‘Even if this one is friendly, I don’t want Twilight to be exposed to this knowledge.’ Celestia thought as she came to the door where the visitor slept. She glanced out the curtained window, her little ponies going about their daily lives. ‘It is time.’

Soundlessly, like the morning light, she passed through the door into the sunflower yellow room. “Princess Celestia Sol Invictus, I am honored.”

The creature in the form of man lay in the hospital bed. Wrapped in bandages, eyes closed, and his voice weak from trauma. “I would show you proper respect, but I am quite tied up. The nurses do their jobs very well”

“I would ask you to not tell me your name.” Princess Celestia asked as she stood between him and the open window. “I haven’t seen your kind since the first age of chaos, but I have not forgotten.”

A wheezing chuckle cracked his lips. “I’m not that old, but you are not without reason. I have not told anyone my name, nor will I ever.”

“Very well.” Princess Celestia looked past his physical form, to the light hiding beneath. “You are a knight. Her knight. Why have you dragged yourself through hedges of thorns to my domain? This place is not welcome to your kind.”

“You gathered that much just from peering into me. Little wonder why She hates you Princess Celestia Sol Invictus.” The Knight flinched under the radiant glare. “I am here because I wished to escape that grasp. Taken from a home I have forgotten, where memories are sold by your master to better suit their needs. You know what a Knight does, you keep one imprisoned in stone.”

Celestia’s glare intensified briefly before she closed them and looked away. “I cannot provide you sanctuary here. Whatever hopes you have in freeing yourself is a shortsighted dream. You will feel the tug of her call, and nothing can change that.”

“Please.” The Knight gripped his bed, knuckles turning white. “I despise what I have done and what I am. Memory makes my ears ring from the screaming, the pain I’ve inflicted, and ashes that keep my throat parched that no drink may quench. I refuse to be a tool anymore for Her conquests.”

“So you wish for redemption.” Celestia concluded for him. She watched him as he nodded his head, a softness in her conscious spoke to her. “Knight, you are the first I must confess. Not even in lies and false promises has your kind ever spoken of such things.”

“I am aware. My brother helped me with that.” A feint pained smile brushed across his face. “We were both taken and in order to keep me in line I was promised to keep him. Every time I pleased Her, She would give me a little bit of him. Centuries would pass before I be given a piece. Memories are very hard to track down.

Princess Celestia walked to the bed. ‘Memories of a brother. Him coping with his actions and lose of memory, or was he being strung along for amusement? Most likely both.’

The Knight coughed as he loosened this grip on the bed sheets. “I am aware that you cannot provide sanctuary here. This is why I have a request.”

“I need you to kill me.”

His eyes opened up. The room silent aside from the sound of ponies outside living their mundane lives. Celestia stared at the soul. “That would not save you. Knight, even I can’t burn the soul to ashes, not without grave repercussions. Your soul will be dragged back to your mistress.”

“You are correct. This is not for me. I wish for you to save my brother.” He closed his blank eyes, gritted his teeth, and then pulled himself up. “I have scoured for a long time to find him, and this sad pitiful amount of him is all I have. Please, burn who I am and make him be reborn. There is enough to give him a sense of self and who he was before, but I will be the bedrock for his second chance. No contract binds him, unlike myself. He would truly be free.”

“I see. What is his name?” Celestia asked directly.

The Knight shook his head. “I do not remember. You would have to give him one.”

“This will be extremely painful, both the burning and me implanting memories.” Celestia allowed him to place a hand on her withers to get up. “Very well Knight. I will honor your request. Before I do this, is there anything else you wish one last time?”

He pondered her question for only a moment. “A bowl of dessert the nurse said was chocolate ice cream and to watch the sunset. That would be good, Princess Celestia.”

‘A human name. I think I’ll give him the name from my first human friend all those years ago.’ Celestia concluded as she smiled. “Very well, Sir Knight.”

PreviousChapters Next