• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,486 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,486

PreviousChapters Next
7: Hound by VelvetHeart

Hound by VelvetHeart

**********************

"Heart and Hooves day. This is it," Rose's hoof struck the ground forcefully in emphasis, "today we will fool the Hound for sure." Turning to her two allies, Lily and Daisy, she presented the stopwatch dangling from her neck. "Synchronize watches... now!"

Three clicks followed, close enough to be one sound.

"I can't believe it! Finally, after all these years!" Lily couldn't contain a little squeal as all three turned to the fence that barred their way into the Apple Family's property, each tucking their greatest treasure in their manes.

"Remember your training, ladies. Let's get to it!"

And they were off. Lily launched herself over the fence, her hooves a rapidfire thunder through the fertile earth while apple trees flashed by. She was barely a minute in when she heard the first sign of trouble: The rapid, insistent barking of Winona.

Lily tightened her eyes to slits and poured on the speed: The Hound was on her trail.

But Lily was never the athlete, and the Hound knew this orchard like her own garden - it clearly had the advantage. But maybe, maybe she could...

By the time poor Lily knew what hit her, she was on her back, skidding through the dirt, getting a rather intimate sniff of Winona's doggy breath. By the canine's side, its master stood, chewing contently on the last petals of a rasberry-pink flower.

"Ain't gonna happen today, sugarcube. You gotta do more than get up early if you wa-" Applejack stopped, then glared at Lily. "Ain't there three of you? Goshdarnit! Winona, find!"

Daisy heard the coming of the Hound as the barking through the trees grew ever louder. She'd tried backtracking, she'd tried going through irrigation ditches, but the Hound was undeterred. She'd made it past the funny treehouse and almost to the first barn when the world suddenly went topsy-turvy, and she woke to the sight of Applejack trying to get something magenta out from between her teeth.

Daisy could only produce a whimper as Applejack and Winona rushed off again.

Rose heard the hound coming, but hope had blossomed in her heart as she broke through the trees and into the field surrounding the farmhouse. Her target was dead ahead, deep crimson hide glistening with sweat as his impressive physique carried a hefty load from a nearby barn with the aid of a friend. Rose quickly snatched her flower from her mane mid-run, and began to shout: "Big Macintosh, will you be-"

At that point the ground under her hooves disappeared, followed by a sudden, but surprisingly-soft, well-padded impact. Looking up, she could see the hole she'd fallen through, a familiar mare's face peeking over the edge. "Made mahself some pit-traps fer this year. Good I did too."

Lily sighed as her flower disappeared into Applejack's gullet. Today wouldn't be the day after all.

* * *

"Sis, why ain' you eating any?" a curious Apple Bloom asked after she finished inhaling the last bit of apple pie that'd carelessly been left on her plate, hungrily eying the untouched treat on Applejack's plate.

"Ah had a lot of flowers today. Couple bouquets worth. Ah'm full." As if to emphasize the point, she let out a particularly well-perfumed belch.

"An' Macintosh?" the little filly asked, turning to the big stallion, who similarly hadn't touched his food.

"Lotta sausage."

Applejack had to jump up from the table to get Granny Smith's dentures out of her throat.

PreviousChapters Next