• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,495 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,495

PreviousChapters Next
28: The Sisterhood of Stitches, Part 2 by FanOfMostEverything

The Sisterhood of Stitches, Part 2 by FanOfMostEverything

*****************************

Nearly two centuries of life allowed one to grow accustomed to any number of once-startling events. Magical catastrophe, global peril, a sudden rise in the price of wool, all ceased to concern when one had already encountered them a dozen times before. Thus, Rarity scarcely even blinked when one of the princesses of Equestria teleported into her studio unannounced.

"How can I help you, Twilight?" The heliotrope flash was a telltale identifier; Celestia's would've been white, Luna's midnight blue, Cadence's rose.

"We need to talk."

That got Rarity to look up. That was Twilight's "princess voice," the tone she usually reserved to end arguments with unreasonable foals and nobles. The Duchess of Whinnypeg's new gown could wait. "About what?"

"This, this..." Twilight spent a moment groping for a word. "This cult of yours."

Rarity briefly pondered this. "Do you mean the Sisterhood? That's hardly my responsibility anymore, Twilight. I may be honorary guildmistress, but Sock Puppet runs it."

"Sock Puppet is nothing but a..." Twilight snorted. "You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Rarity assured her, practically oozing innocence. "Besides, I'm simply too busy with other affairs to take a personal hoof in the Sisterhood anymore. With the charities, the commissions, the diplomatic work... Wasn't it you who said we'd never get half as far with the Diamond Dog nations without me?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Rarity, we only need you once a generation. Then we can just threaten to bring back the Unpleasable Demon-Pony of a Thousand Demands."

Rarity scowled. "You know how I hate that awful title. It makes me sound like some dreadful spoiled bully."

"Well how do you think I feel about Lero being reduced to a humannequin and a story about how much he bought from you!?"

Ah. There it was. Gently, Rarity said, "We all do our part to remember him, Twilight."

"Oh, sure." The princess began to pace. "Fluttershy goes to Zebrica to study his closest genetic relatives, Applejack names a new variety of apple after him, Pinkie spreads his recipes, Dash and I have our family and each other, and you make a guild of idol-worshipping tailors. Yeah, great contribution, Rarity. Real nice work."

"Darling, you're blowing this out of proportion. They don't worship those humannequins any more than you worshipped Celestia before you were crowned."

Twilight flopped down into a heap most unbecoming of a princess. Her tail lashed and her wings were flared out in aggravation. "Just... just tell me why, Rarity. Why all the ceremony and the secrecy and the 'He Who Must Not Be Nude' horseapples?"

Rarity sighed and sat far more elegantly at her friend's side. She looked nowhere in particular, her gaze fixed decades into the past. "What's it like, Twilight?"

"What, loving a human? I think you know enough about tha—" Twilight caught herself and hung her head. "I'm sorry. That was—"

"Entirely understandable." Rarity patted her on the withers. "Your emotions are running high and, even now, you're defending your stallion. In any case, I meant being the Element of Magic."

Twilight gave her friend a quizzical look. "Um, I... I'm not even sure how to answer the question. I don't really have any point of comparison."

"I see. Well then, let me tell you what it's like being the Element of Generosity. Imagine one of your best friends in the world, one of the ponies to whom you owe everything, has lost the stallion she loves, that he has succumbed at last to something she never will. Imagine something stirring in your heart, something far beyond the obligation to console that friend that anypony would feel. Imagine an overpowering urge, beyond reason or emotion, to give. To give something, anything to that friend that could take away her pain and sorrow, all while knowing that that there is nothing you have, nothing in the world, that can do it.

"Now imagine this is happening to two of your best friends at the same time.

"The last time I felt so compelled to do something that was so far beyond me, it was Star Swirl's unfinished spell and Rainbow Dash's cutie mark driving my actions. This time, it was my Element telling me, shouting at me, to find something, do something, that would help you."

Twilight thought back to a time she never wanted to revisit. "You, Pinkie, Fluttershy. I don't think any of you left us alone for two weeks."

"I didn't dare," Rarity replied. "Even without Generosity driving me to do it, I worried that you might do something drastic. Or, if not you, then Lyra. If you were to lose both of them, one after the other...

"I can imagine what the others were going through: Laughter telling Pinkie to cheer you up even when she knew you needed time to mourn, Kindness urging Fluttershy to care for you when even she couldn't tend to a wounded heart."

"And Applejack?" asked Twilight. "I barely saw her."

"Honesty is hardly welcome in a time of bereavement. What could she say?" Rarity adopted a passable Appleachian accent. "'Sorry, sugarcube, but he's gone an' he ain't comin' back.' Or would you rather she attempt one of her painfully awkward attempts at lying?"

Twilight slumped further, resting her head on the studio's carpet. "That still doesn't explain all this stuff with your guild."

"Well, after a while, you were on the mend. The three of you had your children and each other, and the three of us knew you would be alright. But it wasn't enough. I still needed to offer you something, some proper memorial. But what? I never knew Lero as well as I liked. We were never much more than clothier and customer, especially not after..." Rarity looked away, ashamed.

Twilight took her turn to give a pat on the withers. "It was never your fault."

Rarity smiled, but the melancholy was clearly still there. "Thank you, Twilight. Perhaps one day I'll be able to believe that.

"In any case, I had a simple choice before me. Either I could work with what I had, or my Element would drive me utterly crazy. So, I decided to make something that celebrated the Lero I knew, the eternally patient customer who forced me to rethink everything I thought I knew about clothing, for which I will be eternally grateful."

"But does it have to all be so, so..." Twilight trailed off, again unable to find a word.

"Cultish?" Rarity chuckled and shook her head. "Oh, Twilight, you dear thing."

"What?"

"You should've seen some of the secret societies I encountered back when I was so terribly desperate to make my mark on Canterlot society. The Lionesses' Club, the Starmasons, the Order of the Silver Crescent... Honestly, the inner circle of the Sisterhood of Stitches is incredibly tame by comparison. All they do is have each master of the craft make an outfit based on Lero's measurements. All the reverence and secrecy is there just so they stay interested. It's something to belong to, an exclusive club that lets them all feel important, as well they should. They've earned it."

Twilight digested this for a moment. "Huh."

"You know, it was Celestia who suggested all the pomp and ceremony when I proposed the idea."

"What!?"

Another heliotrope flash, and Rarity was alone once more. She hummed a half-formed tune as she returned to the gown. Hopefully, that would satisfy Twilight. If she ever saw some of the more risque outfits the Sisterhood had made over the years...

Rarity shivered. It didn't bear thinking about. Back to business, old girl, back to business.

PreviousChapters Next