• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,505 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,505

PreviousChapters Next
35: Ascension by SpinelStride

Ascension by SpinelStride

****************

"Are you really sure about this, Twilight?" Lero asked, looking with undeniable nervousness at the six ponies arrayed around him. The phrase 'circular firing squad' kept coming to mind. "Harmony can't reach me with the music, so what if the Elements of Harmony can't do their magic on me? I might just get blasted into chunky salsa."

"Oooh, chunky salsa is the best kind! I once had mrmmmpmmpmrmmrmrmrmm mrmmm phrmrm MMMMRMMPH mrmmmm rmrmrmph!"

Applejack patiently waited with her hoof in Pinkie's mouth until the pink pony finished, then stepped back into position. "Twi' wouldn't be tryin' this if she weren't sure it's gonna work, Lero," she said confidently. "Right, Twi?"

"Um. Absolutely," the lavender alicorn said. While crossing two primary feathers. On each wing.

Fortunately, Rainbow Dash was too enthused about the prospect of Alicorn Prince Lero to notice Twilight's bout of nerves, and Fluttershy was too polite to mention it, and Pinkie was distracted poking at her Element with a sonic screwdriver to see if the two inanimate objects would be friends.

Lero facepalmed. "I must be crazy. Why do I need super powers again?"

Twilight just gave him a puppy-eyed look and Lero swallowed. "Oh. Right."

Twilight nodded and gave him a small, extremely grateful smile. "Yeah. Um. So! All right, girls. Let's do this!" She lifted her head and began her new spell.

"From all of us together, together we are friends. With worlds and destinies made one, there is magic without end."

The power of the Elements was unleashed. Used by themselves, the power flowed smoothing, joining into a seamless rainbow of raw Harmony. When Twilight cast the spell of her ascension, the Bearers learned just how much more powerful their necklaces were; the energy came out so intensely that not a one of them wasn't physically jostled by it. This time was, if anything, even worse. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were blown backwards into the wall and pinned in place while the lightning-shaped burst and the butterfly-outline beam lanced in at Lero. Applejack and Pinkie dug in their hooves with all of their Earth pony strength to keep from suffering the same fate. Twilight's eyes glowed a bright shining white - and such was the power of the spell that just the excess was enough to set Rarity's horn blazing and her eyes shining as well.

The pillar of light in the center of the room was beyond measurement. Every day of Celestia's work put together could not have matched its glory and light, though it harmed no pony. The spell ended, leaving the six Bearers to drop to their sides, panting as though they'd just performed the Running of the Leaves a half-dozen times in a row. Even Pinkie's usual energy was sapped. There seemed to be a shining core of magic left even when the pillar faded, bright brilliant whiteness in the middle of the room.

Rainbow Dash was first to force herself to her hooves. "Lero?" she croaked, legs shaking as she stepped forward, reaching a hoof out toward the light.

The light opened. It unfurled into two wings of pure light. A hand reached out to take Rainbow Dash's hoof. Lero's eyes gleamed gold, and magic danced around his head. Rainbow Dash gasped, stunned into voicelessness, looking at him.

Pinkie Pie popped up with a full-length mirror in front of Lero.

He stared into the silvered glass. Silently, he reached out a hand to brush along his new wing, feeling the pure white feathers there, each one shining and perfect, like light made into softness.

His voice was Harmony itself, music dancing behind every word like a thousand musical numbers all at once.

It was really a pity that his first words were, "Holy shit, I'm an angel?"

PreviousChapters Next