• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,504 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,504

PreviousChapters Next
43: Fairy Floss by FanOfMostEverything

Fairy Floss by FanOfMostEverything

**************

The creature that had staggered out of the Everfree had made quite a stir in Ponyville, not least because it didn't follow the usual script of terrorizing the town until it was quelled by one or more Elements of Harmony. Instead, Fluttershy had taken in the poor thing, caring for it like any other injured creature.

Pinkie Pie had watched, and smiled, and said the bright, happy nonsense that was expected of her. In time, everypony would learn that this being was more than just a shaved ape or naked bear. In time, they would hopefully learn to accept the human, to welcome him into their hearts.

For now, though, there was work to be done, and with the town's attention so thoroughly transfixed, there was no better time to do it.

At half past eleven, Pinkie rummaged through her closet. Storage space was never a concern for her. Making spaces that were bigger on the inside was child's play, and there was always a great deal of unused real estate on the other sides of mirrors. But what she needed couldn't be kept in so novel a means. It could not be magically contained, for it was made to contain magic.

Eventually, she tugged the heavy object out into her bedroom. It was a stark, black iron peytral, a strange, sepulchral echo of the Princesses' regalia. The craftsponyship was of the highest quality, and it was ringed with bands of black iron and menaced with spikes of black iron. Not a spot of rust marred the dusky surface. The slow fire dared not burn on such a treasure.

Pinkie shrugged on the armor. As the weight settled on her withers, she felt it press down not only on her body but her mind and soul as well. Her mane collapsed like a souffle. The countless paths that most ponies could not walk vanished from the edges of her vision. The high, piping song of baker's yeast and pollen on the breeze fell silent in the middle of a chorus.

Thoroughly disenchanted, the pony began her dolorous tread out of town and into the Everfree Forest. The wood held no fear for her. She was as thoroughly sealed from the world's magic as it was from hers. Timberwolf fangs would detach from their jaws before they would pierce her skin. Manticore venom would do little but itch in her veins. Even the gaze of a cockatrice would do her no more harm than that of an unsatisfied customer. Less, actually. She didn't care about the cockatrice's opinion.

Back in Ponyville, the clocks struck midnight, the witching hour. Pinkie approached what most would see as an intersection between two game trails. Weighed down by her iron burden, she could scarcely see the yawning void that was the gate between dimensions. Still, she could make it out well enough. She stepped high to clear the lower lip of the portal.

The peytral shook and rattled. Iron would not willingly enter Faerie. Most would be repelled, blocked, deflected. But not this. This was more than the metal of thunderbolts. It was the very idea of iron, the pinnacle of ferrousity, a paradox hammered in the forges of the sidhe from that which they could not tolerate by the selfsame smiths who had stripped magic from the blood of man and slipped the hated metal in its place. It could go where no other iron could. But that didn't mean it had to like it.

Its presence and that of its wearer were soon noticed. The musical laughter of the fair folk fell silent before Pinkie, and remained so long after she passed by. The lesser creatures of the in-between fled before her. The rest hid, save only the most daring or foolhardy. It was not only fear that quieted them, but also recognition. The pony wore that rarest of items in Faerie, a torture device that none found entertaining.

Pinkie followed the path of memory, letting recollections of a bygone era steer her hooves. In time, she found her way to a doorway. A pair of proud, willowy figures armed and armored in burnished bronze, stood in her path, their spears crossed over the entrance.

"You will let me through," said the mare. None of her friends, had they followed her and managed to stay free and sane, would have recognized her voice. It was deadly serious, a tone of absolute command, demanding immediate obedience.

"Who orders us so?" asked the creature on her left.

Pinkie sighed. Had it really been so long? "I had many names, once. When I left, they placed this yoke upon me, and the weight pressed them all out of me. Now, I have but a title in these lands. Tell your master and mistress the Exile has returned."

*************************

Hooves echoing on tile were all the announcement she got, and all that she needed. The murmurings of the Court fell silent as the novel sound reverberated through the palace. A single gesture from the Queen sent the courtiers scattering.

The only creature left, other than the royal couple, was a capering, goblin-like figure in motley of a thousand colors. As Pinkie entered, he capered closer and smirked. "How now? Pay heed, o pluripotent patrons! A pink pony prances into our parlor! Prithee, pony, plan you to plop your plot 'pon our palatial paradise?"

Pinkie replied with a grin. Not a smile. Really, even calling the baring of teeth a "grin" was giving it a bit much credit. Still, it did the job, making the jester pale and back away. "Well, Puck you, too, Goodfellow. Always thought they'd take out your tongue before your eyes."

Robin Goodfellow fled from the Exile and her burden. Like any good trickster archetype, he could tell when the time for japes and pranks had come to an end, and those were times when even his welcome wore out.

The same, of course, could never be said of royalty. King and Queen remained unmoved in every sense of the word. To ask for their physical appearance would be to ask about the tensile strength of a promise, the specific gravity of a sunny day. They were the King and Queen of Faerie. They were the woman you want and the man you want to be, and vice versa. They appeared however they wished, and not even an omniscient narrator could hope to hold them in a single shape long enough to describe it.

But even they respected the power of iron.

"So," the Queen said off-handedly. "You return. Not for long, I imagine."

"Not at all." A true smile, if a melancholy one, came to Pinkie's lips. "It is good to see you, though."

"Hmm. Would I could say the same." The Queen examined one immaculate hand, nails long enough to blend luxury and danger. "Why have you emerged from that ludicrous exile of yours?"

All sense of wistfulness evaporated from Pinkie. "One of your pets has emerged in Celestia's world. He may look and sound and smell human, but I know you. Unless this is the first genuine jailbreak in centuries, you let him escape, and I would know to what end."

Guile glittered in the Queen's eyes as she demurely brought a hand to her breast. "Me? Why, I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about."

Pinkie cracked her neck. Her peytral groaned like a living thing, its very presence dulling the lingering perfumes of the Court. "Do not toy with me, REDACTED. I was there when you took the throne. I have not forgotten your games."

"And could I not, as the humans say, have turned over a new leaf?" asked the Queen, smiling a flawless smile.

"No, you could not." Pinkie stared straight into the Faerie Queen's eyes. "How did that one witch put it? 'What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't—'"

"Enough!" There was the faintest twitch, not just of an eye but of the Queen's entire body, like the image cast by a projector with a flickering bulb. What sat in her place in that stuttering split second, I dare not say. "Enough," the Queen said again. She sighed. "Did you have to bring that... that thing?"

Pinkie's gaze did not waver. "We both know if I had not, I wouldn't be leaving this room alive. I might not have entered it alive."

"No," the Queen confirmed. "You would not have."

The King shifted. Mare and Lady both turned to him. Queens were swift and vengeful and did whatever they liked, but kings, slow as they were, were the ones who mattered. "The man managed to escape of his own accord," he rumbled.

"ALSO REDACTED!" cried the Queen.

"What can we do while she wears her burden?" he asked her.

"What can she do? She is sealed, a mere puppet of meat and bone!"'

"Aye, a puppet whose strings cut the fingers that would pull them. I know sense is too much to ask of you, STILL REDACTED, but accept that this slight is one you must let go. None will know, none but you, and she, and I."

"Three too many!" The Queen repositioned herself, as though preparing to rise from her throne.

"Careful there, Your Highness," called Pinkie. "Wouldn't want to vacate our seat, now would we?"

The Queen froze and glared at the pony, glared with enough hatred and impotent fury that by all rights the mare should've burst into white-hot flames.

For her part, Pinkie didn't even seem to notice. She knelt before the King. "Thank you, Your Grace."

The Fair Folk did not feel regret. It was not in their nature. Still, there was something of a long-forgotten longing in the King's face. "You could remain here, you know. This exile of yours has always been self-imposed."

Pinkie shook her head. "Not so long as you believe that tears and blood are the price of laughter. Until the day you can feel joy without the suffering of another, I will continue my hermitage in the blood of ponies." She turned and left without another word or a second glance, and the Queen hated her all the more for it.

Author's Note:

FanOfMostEverything: You can all blame/thank SpinelStride for this one. Xenophilia: Advanced and The Blank Plague put the idea in my head, and I needed to get it out

PreviousChapters Next