• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,505 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,505

PreviousChapters Next
24: Light and Darkness by StarSlinger

Light and Darkness by StarSlinger

************************

Blackbeak cursed as the wires slipped again from his talons. Of all the things for a proud griffon warrior such as himself to end up, playing assassin for a bunch of Canterlot ponies!

Holding himself aloft in the air by his wings, the griffon forced himself to move slower, his talons finally snagging the wire, allowing him to attach it to the blasting spell box which was now firmly embedded in the rock wall of the ravine. The griffin stole another nervous glace at the motion detector device on the other end of the wire, eight feet below, ready to be concealed with leaves and twigs.

Now, the only thing keeping the trap from being fully armed was the activation remote in his pouch, secured around his waist by a thick leather harness. Once he was finished concealing the motion detector, he would lay in wait above the ravine, activating the trap once his prey was in position.

Impulsively, Blackbeak reached down and removed the activation remote from his pouch. The box looked innocent enough, consisting two colored lights, one red and one green, and a toggle switch on the side. Currently, the green light was lit, indicated that the trap was still inactive. Flipping the switch would cause the device to arm after a five second delay. The griffin assassin put the remote back into his pouch and gave his handiwork one more look.

Satisfied that the wires were firmly in place, Blackbeak allowed himself to drift down to the ground and began concealing the motion detector device.

The trap was indeed cleaver, the griffin reluctantly admitted to himself. His clients had provided the magitek device, providing him with instructions on its setup and activation. For his part, he had stalked his prey for days, observing his habits, until the perfect place to ambush him became apparent.

Blackbeak wondered again why this monkey-thing… this ‘huuuuman’? Yes, he remembered, ‘human.’ Why this human was such a threat to his clients that they would go to such lengths and secrecy to get rid of. Oh, he was not stupid or simple, despite what their sneering, condescending tones suggested, he had heard the rumors and the gossip. About the impending public marriage between the human and the ponies he had made his mates. About how some of these ponies were influential with the Princesses. Blackbeard suspected that the ‘purity’ excuses yammered about was secondary to political ones. After all, this human’s mates were evidently very powerful and influential. Officially recognizing them as a herd would form a new, inherently powerful, pony House.

The human seemed to be the lynchpin to this new coalition of powerful ponies. Therefore, those who wanted the status quo to persist needed him eliminated.

The griffin smirked, in the end, these ponies were not as pure and noble a race as they tried to convince themselves, he thought.

Still, he thought grumpily, the method in which his clients wanted the deed done left much to be desired. In his Clan, before they were betrayed and scattered as ronin, all that would need to be done was for a death duel to be declared. Even if the human somehow won, the warrior’s second would then be justified in avenging his partner. In Blackbeak’s opinion, such public executions were both more efficient and reliable than all of this ‘make it look like an accident’ nonsense. However, the Canterlot ponies were paying for it to be done this way, so he had no room to complain.

The motion detector concealed, Blackbeak stood a moment admiring his handy work. Now he just needed to fly to the top and wait.

Faintly, the griffin heard a beeping noise from somewhere nearby. Glancing around for a moment, he released the sound was coming from his pouch. Eyes widening in panic at a sudden suspicion, Blackbeak frantically clawed at his pouch, ripping it open and taking out the activation remote. As he had feared, the beeping was coming from the remote, its red light blinking, indicating that his trap was about to arm. Hurriedly, the griffin tried to move the toggle switch back to the off position, only to realize that it had somehow been jammed. Now fully terrified, the griffin assassin hurriedly spread his wings to take off, just as the red light turned solid.

##############################

Lyra Heartstrings gracefully treaded through the wreckage of the rockslide. The informant had been correct. The unicorn was relieved that she had been in time to takes steps to protect her stallion from danger. Fortunately, the griffin assassin had briefly removed what she had correctly assumed to be the arming device from his pouch long enough for the unicorn to get a mental image. This allowed her to manipulate the device with her magic, even as it was once again concealed.

Scanning the rubble, Lyra spotted what she was looking for, sticking partially from underneath a rock was the griffin’s pouch, the only storage place that Lyra had observed on the creature. If her hunch was right, and they usually were, there would be further clues in the small bag that would shed some light on who the assassin was working for.

Using her magic to free the pouch from the debris, Lyra levitate the her prize in front of her. Opening it, she found what she suspected she would - sheet of parchment paper. On it were instructions on how to use the magitek weapon that had caused the rockslide.

Her examination of the document was interrupted by a wheezing sound coming from beside her. Glancing over she saw the griffin assassin, barely alive, reaching towards her. Only the creature’s head and left foreleg was visible, the rest buried under a ton of rocks.

Lyra regarded the griffin coldly. “I see you have survived the rockslide… and for that, I am sorry.” With an off-hoof flicker of her mind, the assassin’s head was suddenly twisted ninety-degrees, silencing its wheezing.

Turning her attention back to the magitek document, Lyra eyes widened. She recognized some of these watermarks! Her eyes narrowed, this information would have to be hand delivered to the Princess. She could not risk a courier and trying to use Spike would cause too many questions.

The mint-green unicorn sighed. She hated having to travel alone to Canterlot again, especially since the wedding was just around the corner. However, this was simply too important a matter to delay. She would need a good cover story as well, least her herd suspect something.

A moment later she had an idea. Her mother had been making noise about wanting to help her pick out a veil for the wedding ceremony! Lyra had until then not even decided if she wanted one, however, allowing her mother to drag her around Canterlot for veil shopping would be a perfect excuse for a sudden trip to the Equestrian capital. Also, as the associate Guard member to Ponyville, it would be her duty to report to the Griffin embassy, informing them about the tragic death of one of their citizens in a random rockslide just outside of town. The body soon to be discovered by a Ponyville weather squad which were due to fly by this location in about… 15 minutes.

Lyra started to make her way back out of the ravine. Humming a tune, she walked along the grass-lined road that led towards the Everfree Forest. She needed to hurry back to Fluttershy’s place, where Lero had been delayed during his trip home – stopping to help catch some animals that had mysteriously gotten free from their cages.

“Many a pony dreams of being one with the Balance, to use this knowledge to banish darkness from a world of light. But light and darkness are equals and where one exist, so to must the other. When one finally realizes this, they can start down the path to true Balance.”

-- Crackhorn, Grandmaster of the Still Way

Cue credit music:

PreviousChapters Next