• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,505 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,505

PreviousChapters Next
31: Fallen Far by SpinelStride

Fallen Far by SpinelStride

**************

Lero wiped his hands on the rag he kept tucked into his belt, cleaning off the grease. The plumbing at Sweet Apple Acres wasn't really that bad, but there were a surprising number of old and unused pipes. The Apples had clearly reconfigured their house no few times over the generations, and getting everything hooked up right took a fair bit of doing. Now they were trying to get a sink added to an upstairs bathroom outside Applebloom's room, and Lero had answered the call.

Big Mac's heavy hooves announced the red stallion's arrival behind him. Lero spoke without looking over his shoulder. "That should be all hooked up now. You'll need to keep the first-floor cistern filled, but that's all."

:"Nope," came the reply. Lero hmmmmed and looked over his shoulder. Big Mac's usually stoic expression was somber.

Lero set the rag down and turned. "What' s the problem? Something spring a leak?"

"Nope," came out again. Big Mac jerked his head in the direction of the stairs, then turned and left the room. Lero followed, thoroughly bemused. The Apple stallion led him out of the house, just outside one of the outlying barns, then stopped. He gestured at the door with a hoof and said quietly, "Woulda been Ma and Pa's anniversary. Hittin' Applejack hard. Ah'd just end up cryin' with her." He paused a moment, then added, "Please."

Lero nodded and laid a hand lightly on Big Macintosh's side. "I'm sorry," he said softly, then went inside.

Applejack was sprawled atop a haybale, her Stetson over her face, her body shaking. The sounds of choked-back sobs made it out from under the hat. Lero felt a sharp pang of guilt at seeing her like this. They'd never managed to become friends themselves, though they'd spent a fair amount of time together in the mutual company of Twilight and Rainbow, and they were amiable enough as acquaintances. Seeing such a notoriously proud, stubborn, independent pony lost in tears felt like an intrusion.

Lero didn't think Big Macintosh would have asked him if it wasn't serious. He stepped closer, to no reaction from the weeping mare. He cautiously bent down and laid a hand on her side. She jerked away and pulled the hat from her face so fast he could have sworn he saw a miniature rainboom for a moment. Her large eyes were red and watery as she glared up at him.

"What the hay do you want?" she yelled, and then her body shook and she clenched her eyes shut again, a fresh sob slipping through her teeth.

Lero carefully sat down next to her on the bale. "I'm here to help," he said, keeping his voice low and soothing. "Nobody should have to mourn alone."

Applejack sniffed hard and pressed her eyelids shut hard again. "Big Mac just cain't keep his big mouth shut," she rasped out in a misery-roughened voice. "Ah don't need..." She interrupted herself with another full-body shudder, unable to finish the sentence.

Lero set his hand gently on her back, just below the neck. With Rainbow Dash or another pegasus, it would have been a shockingly intimate gesture, but for an Earth Pony it was safe. He could feel her trembling, and after a moment she yielded, moving forward, settling herself across his lap, pressing her side to him, giving up her efforts to stay alone.

"Woulda been twenny-five years today," she said. "Six years ago now. Ah still miss 'em."

Lero set his other hand on her back, starting to carefully massage along her spine. Some ponies liked to converse at the spa. Others just wanted to talk. He let Applejack talk.

"Ma... never recovered after Applebloom was born. Pa stayed by her the whole time. Ah was jes' a filly. Pa... stopped eatin' when Ma did. Ah didn't know what was happenin'. Ah was helpin' Granny take care of Applebloom. Such... such a beautiful little thing she was. Ah remember bein' so happy ta have a new little sister. Ah was so happy Ah didn't realize anythin' was wrong." She shook against Lero, her muscles tensing back up. "Ma went, then Pa was gone not two days later. Ah... Ah know it's not mah fault, an' Ah'd buck anypony inta the Crystal Empire who tried ta blame Applebloom, she was just a foal... but sometimes... sometimes ya just can't convince yerself of somethin' ya know, ya know?"

Lero's fingers found a clenched knot of muscle, and he patiently pressed down into it, massaging back and forth, until it relaxed again. Applejack let out a gasp. "Whoa! Th... that did feel.. good." She swallowed hard and offered, "Maybe Ah oughtta come by th' spa sometime." Lero smiled down at her, though she wasn't looking up. "First one's free for friends," he said.

Applejack couldn't let that pass. "Y'all know Ah just never could get ya, Lero," she said, leaning into him again. "You're a good fella an' all, Ah just cain't figure ya out. Ah talked ta Twilight about it. She said it was prob'ly body language, y'all don't respond the way a pony would, and so Ah get wary about ya. So Ah'm sorry Ah cain't rightly call ya my friend, but Ah do appreciate your help."

Lero patiently located and set to work on another point of tension. "Friends of Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash, then."

Applejack nodded slowly. "If'n y'all say so. Thank you, Lero." She lowered her head. "Ah do feel better." She pressed her hoof gently against Lero's thigh. "Comfortable like this. Feels... safe."

Lero moved one hand up to rub behind her ears, and her head pressed back to his fingers. "Twilight thinks it's because I'm taller."

Applejack nodded slightly. "Smart girl. That... that's what it is, all right. Like bein' a filly again, with Pa at mah side." She suddenly turned and wrapped her forelegs around Lero's waist, pressing her forehead against his chest. He felt his bones complain and the air rushing from his lungs, but he didn't say a word. "Ah miss you, Ma. Ah miss you, Pa. Ah miss you both," she whispered fiercely. She held him like that for several long breaths, then let Lero go just as black spots were starting to dance in his vision.

When he'd caught his breath, Applejack had wiped her face with a hoof and stood up, resettling her hat back into place. She gave him a sad but genuine smile. "Thanks, Lero. For carin'. Ah better get back ta work."

And she did.

PreviousChapters Next