• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 8,207 Views, 135 Comments

How and Why - Aegis Shield



An elderly Twilight Sparkle goes back in time to tell herself to stop studying.

  • ...
18
 135
 8,207

Dear Princess Celestia

(By Isumo1489, stolen out of the comments because it is awesome.)





Dear Princess Celestia,

Today has been quite the breakthrough for me, both in my views and in terms of my studies. I know you've told me many times about the importance of friends, but even so, I've quite often simply prioritized my studies ahead of spending time with them. Today, however, I had a visitor that finally showed me just what I was doing, and what it would cost me.

That visitor was myself, from far in the future, age 84 by her..my...er, words. (Edit that out Spike). Anyway, she went on to explain what my current path of studying, and my decreasing level of socializing, 'even with my small circle of friends' would bring.

After 60 years from now, I'd never kissed a colt, my friends and I would have drifted, my thirst for knowledge would never be satisfied, and so many things about the world, just living in it being the biggest, would have been beyond me. At 84, Princess, I'd basically used up my life, and it took me that long to realize what I'd thought was my all-consuming purpose was, in fact, hollow. I'm writing this after my other self vanished suddenly, I'm hoping you know what this means. The reason for that is, I've taken it upon myself to now limit my study time to a hour per day total, with exceptions made for specific assignments. Spike has it on record and I've commissioned both Rainbow Dash and Pinky Pie to pull me out of the library by force should I fall back into my usual habits.

Also, right after my other vanished (that's a good way to refer to her), I made my way to Sweet Apple Acres, where I finally kissed Big Macintosh, Applejack's older brother. This has lead to an interesting, and somewhat tentative series of 'dates' where we've gotten to know each other a bit. So far, I know he has a very gentle demeanor, is very smart when it comes to numbers and spacial relations, and he also has a soft spot of Ms. Smarty Pants, my old doll. He kept her safe since the 'episode' with the Want it Need it spell. He even brought her over after our first meeting, asking if I wanted her back. He genuinely seemed sad about the likelihood that I did, so I let him keep her, seeing how much he's taken care of her since then.

In conclusion, I'll still be sending you my weekly friendship report, but I must also send ahead that it will be a bit more informal in terms of data researched. Beyond that, I also wish to extend an invitation for you and Princess Luna to join me for some tea or stargazing in the near future. It took an addition day, but I also realized how much I'd missed just talking to you in face-to-face. As such, the invitation is standing, and anytime you feel up to it, please come right over. Luna, well she is as much a friend as any of the girls, and I think I should spend more time with her, I'd rather as few regrets over the years as possible.

I'm now off to a party being held by a local DJ, called Vinyl Scratch. According to Dash, it's the type where alot of ponies get to dancing and simply enjoying themselves while being around friends. This is also an attempt to expand my circle of friends, though Dash, Pinkie, and Applejack will being going with me for support. Wish me luck Princess.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Thanks Itsumo1489, you really summed it all up for us. :)

~Aegis

Comments ( 56 )

Great friendship report

MOST EPIC REPORT EVER

My faithful student, you realize that I've basically spent your entire life turning you into a living computer, capable of outperforming any other pony in every academic field, so you could one day become an alicorn and rule in my place, right? Well since that's not gonna happen anymore, I'd like very much for you to return Spike (who is technically crown property) to the Canterlot Dragon Hatchery, and vacate the premises of the Ponyville Library within one week so my new faithful student, Trixie Lulamoon, can move in and learn the magic of friendship or something.

I'm very disappointed in you.

Printessa Molestia

2113903 *swats the back of his head*

Quit being a dick.

2113903 All of my lulz:rainbowlaugh:

Damn. That one's good.

>>Aegis Shield

No worries, I'm glad you liked it that much. ...it's strange, as I said, it just kinda came to me. Don't look to deep, but after that one bender watching all of season's one and two...well...sometimes I wonder if I'm entirely myself in my own head anymore.:rainbowhuh:

That said, let me know when you use it or something similar, I so want to read! :twilightsheepish:

And now, I have seen my work in someone's fic. I am both overwhelmed and very pleased. Thank you, kind pony, and I thank all who enjoy this fic and my little contribution.

PS. Aegis Shield, if you ever want to colab a fic, let me know. I find myself suddenly itching at the hooves to make something else Pony-related.

2113928 *kisses on lips*

As I said to Fred Phelps, fucking make me.

Actually, don't. I don't like being blocked.

Commence read.

Twilight can now work on being less awkward in situations involving other ponies. Social skills! :twilightsmile:

static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Haha+Rarity_e4558d_4408800.gif
I thought this story was gonna be continued! I was overjoyed... but it instead the hope of a longer romance fic between Twilight and Big Mac was taken away, and replaced by a very touching ending... Call it bittersweet, but I have really enjoyed what you have written here. Congrats and thanks for writing it! :pinkiesad2:

you are magnificent! I simply adore you Aegis, come and see my Spike Destiny fic and tell me your opinion I need it in order to improve! after all you are one of my idols here =D

I am sure you get this asked alot, but... COULDYOUPLEASELOOKATMYFANFIC?! There I asked it.:rainbowdetermined2: The Black Stallion Chronicles: Chaos Rising, partialy based of the PMV Clouds.

I love this story though it makes me wonder if future Twilight was actually a disguised Celestia? Since Celestia is 1000+ years old she has probably seen it happen before plus when future Twilight left it is stated that the time travel spell and I quote " was big and flashy when it wore off" yet it was as if she ceased to be.

Maybe Twilight can create a spell that will let her absorb the entire contents of a book in a few seconds instead of having spend hours of reading.

>According to Dash, it's the type where alot of ponies get to dancing and simply enjoying themselves while being around friends

>it's the type where alot of ponies get to dancing and simply

>type where alot of ponies get

>where alot of

>alot

*Foams at the mouth*

This is my pet peeve. I'm writing a story about this. BRB.

You should so keep this going. If you don't want to it's cool, but I think it has EQD written all over it. I serious.:twilightsmile:
Loved this man.

I was expecting a deeper continuation of the trials and errors of the socially awkward Twilight Sparkle's social life. Oh well, still a good story.

2114905

Your brain can only handle so much info at once. If you were to suddenly inject your mind with so much information, you could literally destroy brain from an overload.

And yay TwixMac! :twilightsmile::heart::eeyup:

I would love to see the princess's response to this is.

Omg this needs a continuation of some kind
Theres just so much raw potential here

It could be so much more, SO MUCH MORE. The story itself as right now rocks but more chapters wouldn;t hurt, the potential is so great

It's like that's exactly what princess Celestia wanted in the first place.:trollestia::twilightblush:

I think this is a satisfying conclusion and that it shouldn't be expanded upon anymore. No need to turn a short story of revelations and self-discovery into a longer romance or the Daily life of Twilight Sparkle. This story actually vaguely reminds me of a story where Twilight has an intervention from her friends over her drinking, that also ended in a Friendship Report XD.

Anyway, great story, looking forward to more Stallions on Strike and The Spartan Stallion 2.

Princess Celestia rolled up the scroll with a wisp of golden magic, binding it with purple ribbon and setting it on a shelf stacked high with others of its kind. A small smile graced her lips as her Neighponese tea cup settled onto the delicate porcelain saucer.

"Well, it seems your plan has worked marvelously, Luna."

"Indeed sister. I doubt Twilight will be wasting her time in study now that she has had that visit from 'future her.'" Princess Luna - still in the form of an old and wizened dusky-purple mare - sat across from her counter-part. "I just wish this stupid illusion spell would wear off quicker. Two weeks in another's form is far too much time to be dancing around the servants and pretending I - I mean, Luna - is ill."

"Had you studied more recent spell crafting before taking off in a huff, you would have found more recent and less irritating illusion spells, Luna."

"Oh stuff it, Tia. And you still owe me twenty bits."

2115714

I will have to agree. I would like to see a small addition from Celestia's point of view. But as it stands, it has a very satisfying ending. Well done, one more fave for you.

We never grow up until our mind leaves achademia, and learns to think and learn on our own.

The real trick ending here is that she passed out and died to asphyxiation.

2116503
This is becomming an audience written story. :pinkiehappy:

2115466

Kind of like a Buffer Overflow in the computer world. Whoo-ee, that can be one nasty bug.

2114597

Uh, hello. She ceased to be because she changed the past, therefore ensuring her future never happens.

Lucky for current-twi, she got the message, because chances are she's not going to go back and scare past-twi straight, which will enable the future where Twi becomes old and misses everything, and then she'll go back and scare her past-self straight, which will switch to the future where she's involved.

It is a little confusing dealing with this wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff sometimes. Which is why I usually just leave it to the Doctor.

this could have been a great episode if hub thought about it :pinkiehappy:

but its a little to grim and sad for the show :pinkiesad2:

2127497>>2136660 More like collapsing timelines. Future twilight warns present Twilight, the future doesn't happen, she ceases to exist and a new timeline is formed. WIbbly wobbly.

2137914 Alright, how about "its magic I don't have to explain shit?" :trixieshiftleft:

2139110
That is always the shitty explanation... :pinkiesad2:
But its my FAVORITE one! :pinkiehappy:
The story? I loved it.

Good god this story was great

Elementary my dear time traveler. Since she went back in time to tell herself to change her future did change, thus that time line no longer existed and she therefore no longer existed in that time and space.

2137914
How's thus: time is one long, continuous line that 84year old Twilight lived through, and upon realising that she'd wasted her life, copy-pasted one night from sixty years ago into the next few minutes, said what she needed to, and then let time run its course (again) whilst herself... going away to do some stuff. Maybe watch over Twilight 2.

Like she said herself, a bit more impressive than "Next Tuesday".

2139110

Well time is only linear from a single perspective particularly the one experiencing it. This twilight met her future self. Her future self did not have this happen and therefore created another perspective in young twilights time line one that does not loop over. That singular instance in her life changed her timeline so previous twilights timeline does not exist the way young twilight's does. When future went back you had another twilight timeline standing parallel to pasts. Two perspectives of the same time that were bisected the moment they met. So yes it split but not all of time. Just one timeline and one series of events must take prevalence over the other so young twilight won't cease to exist simply because of her encounter. Nor does the elder. Merely with twilight Young's encounter there was no need to go back in time because of her decision. Older twilight moved not to cease to exist she just moved through back to her timeline. The experiences stuck.

It could have been Celestia, who, seeing where Twilights life choices were leading her
used an illusion to change what she saw as Twi's future?

2439136 I dont belive so. I think she upgraded spell so she could create paradox and erase herself from existance. That is why she wanished without a trace.

2500141Future Twilight could vanish either from being an illusion of Celestias, or because Twilight present altered the conditions that made her possible, thereby forming a different time line

And just like that, Twilight becomes an alicorn...

What'd be kind of hilarious (and a bit morbid) is if she arrived, dropped dead on the spot and then vanished, or alternatively, the corpse remained. That would be shocking. What did I do so horribly wrong that I came back in time to tell myself and then died? Personal crisis ensues...

2574692 2500141
I agree (paradox/altered conditions).

Time travel is so confusing :ajsleepy:

doesnt even need to be 20% cooler :rainbowdetermined2:
its already 120% cooler as is :moustache:

Then Spike's fire breathe sends the letter on it's way. Across the library, out the window, and into the hedge outside where Celestia sits, spying to see if the illusion she orchestrated had succeeded.

3307991

Flubber. Its from the movie Flubber. :pinkiesick:

2137359 Timey-wimey.

Sorry, couldn't resist.:twilightsheepish:

Login or register to comment