• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 3,396 Views, 67 Comments

Tragic Magic - Twinkletail



Twilight and Rarity are a very happy couple, but Trixie's in town and she wants to reclaim Twilight for herself.

  • ...
16
 67
 3,396

Chapter 8

The citizens of Ponyville watched in silence as Rarity trudged across town, bags packed and trailing behind her in a wagon. Despite their feelings towards her from the incident they'd heard about with Twilight, it was still a sad occasion to see such a thing. She may have hurt Twilight badly, but that didn't erase all the good she'd done for the town, and to see her driven out of town was heartbreaking. Not a single pony spoke a word as she passed them, although one or two offered sad, somewhat-sympathetic looks. Not a single one was able to catch her eye, though. The shamed socialite would not pull her eyes from the ground in front of her. Thankfully, she knew the path to the library well enough by this point to walk there without looking.

Rarity sighed a heavy sigh as she stared at the library door. Her hoof hung in front of it for a few long, painful seconds as she tried to will it against the wood. The rejection from Twilight had hurt enough last time that she was actually hoping for that detestable Trixie to answer. As it would turn out, she would get exactly what she hoped for, as Trixie opened the door to meet her. Whether this was a good or bad thing was up for debate, but it was what shed hoped for regardless.

"Well hello again, Rarity," the snide trickster sneered. "What brings you here this time?"

"Please do not taunt me, Trixie," Rarity said softly. "You have won. There is no need to rub it in my face."

"Trixie intends to do nothing of the sort," Trixie told her, despite the smile on her face implying otherwise. "Trixie is gracious in victory. She may also be gracious in defeat, but she would not know that."

"Indeed..." Rarity said, using all of her willpower to keep from shouting at the braggadocios illusionist. She could not afford to lose her patience. "As for my intentions, I have simply come to say goodbye. After the events of last night and the pain I have put poor Twilight through, I cannot show my face in town any longer." Rarity sighed, casting her gaze downwards once more and choking back a sob.

"Trixie is very sorry to hear this, Rarity," Trixie told her, in a tone that Rarity would have likely interpreted as sincere had she not already known that this wasn't the case. "Trixie wishes that we could all live together in harmony, and is saddened that such a goal is not attainable."

"As am I," Rarity responded.

"Trixie assumes you shall wish to tell Twilight of your departure yourself?" Trixie asked.

"No," Rarity answered. "Twilight has already stated that she does not wish to speak to me. If I were to tell her that I was leaving, she would only feel worse than she already does. Perhaps it would be best for you to tell her after I have left."

"Trixie supposes that would be optimal," the illusionist said, trying to hide the smirk that was attempting to creep across her face. "The message shall be delivered."

Rarity nodded, still refusing to look up. To look into the eyes of that terrible trickster would pain her more than she could take at the moment. The seamstress turned her back to her rival, beginning to take her leave. After a step or two, she raised her head, looking back towards Trixie.

"Before I leave, Trixie..." she said, tilting her head slightly. "I simply must know how you pulled it off."

"Pulled what off?" Trixie asked, a baffled look crossing her face.

"You know what I am speaking of," Rarity said simply, turning to face Trixie fully. "You returned to Ponyville to take what you believed was yours, and you orchestrated this entire event to remove me from the picture so you could have Twilight all to yourself. I am not daft, Trixie." She gave a haughty smirk, staring Trixie down. Trixie, however, was not to be worked so easily.

"Trixie hasn't the slightest clue what you are blabbering about," she said with a scoff. "You are simply trying to blame others for your own indiscretions. And besides, if that really were the case, which it is not, do you really think that Trixie would be foolish enough to admit it to you?" The performer tossed her mane back, giving Rarity a confident grin.

"Of course not," Rarity replied. "My apologies." She turned her back once more, then spoke again, this time not even bothering to glance back. "I had an idea of what spell you might have used, but on second thought, it was a bit too complicated." Rarity did not even bother taking another step forward; she knew such a thing would be completely unnecessary.

"Too...complicated?" Trixie asked, venom seeping into her tone. "Do you have any idea who you are speaking to, wretch? No spell is too complicated for the Great and Powerful Trixie!"

"I do wish that were the case," Rarity said, lifting a hoof up and blowing a small speck of dirt off of it. "Twilight is the most powerful unicorn I know, and if her marefriend is to be a unicorn, she should be one who has at least some modicum of magical talent. I tried this spell at home and managed to cast it, but it's just a teensy bit out of your grasp." Rarity finally deigned to cast a look back, and was greeted with the sight of a positively enraged Trixie.

"How...DARE you?!" Trixie shouted. "The nerve! The gall! The Great and Powerful Trixie is the most talented unicorn alive! None can match her ability! Especially not a filthy ruffian with a greasy mane and a tacky fashion sense!" Rarity winced as Trixie barraged her with the series of appearance-based barbs. Still, she withstood them. As important as her physical attributes were to her, nothing was more important than regaining the love of her life.

"As much as you may wish that to be true," the white unicorn said, "it simply is not. That spell I believe you to have cast is within my skill level, but I'm afraid yours falls short."

"You think a simple inhibition-removing spell is outside of my skill level?" Trixie shouted back. "Absurd!" Rarity let a smirk cross her face. Things couldn't possibly be going better.

"Oh nonono, I'm sure that's not what you did," Rarity said. "It's far too complex. To cast it even once would be an immeasurable feat."

"Ha! Once? Don't make me laugh!" Trixie retorted. "I cast it once on each of your drinks, you foal! Trixie is greater and more powerful than you could ever wish to be!"

"Oh?" Rarity mused. "Hmm...well then, you must have been casting a weakened version of it. One that was not nearly strong enough to have much of an effect."

"Surely you jest!" Trixie shot back. "Every single casting of that spell was done at full power, to assure that you would kiss Trixie! And it worked perfectly, did it not?" The blue unicorn laughed a triumphant laugh, accompanied by a small display of magical fireworks.

"Well then," Rarity said, her smile growing as she glanced over Trixie's shoulder. "I retract my accusations. You certainly are a great and powerful magician. Do you not agree, Twilight?"

Trixie froze in place. A single drop of sweat dripped down her forehead as Rarity broke out into a full grin. Slowly, deliberately, the stage magician turned around, afraid of what she would eventually see. Sure enough, there was Spike, standing at the foot of the stairs. Next to him was a very incensed Twilight. Small licks of flame crept through her mane and tail as she glared at Trixie.

"T-Twilight...I can explain..." Trixie began.

"You don't need to explain anything," Twilight said, her voice eerily calm. "You need to leave. Now." The blue unicorn stammered a bit, as all three sets of eyes fell on her. Finally, she gave up any semblance of self-respect and threw herself at Twilight's hooves.

"Please, Twilight Sparkle! You must forgive me!" she whined, even dropping her third person narrative as she grabbed at the hooves in front of her. "I missed being with you so much, and I wanted you back so badly that it clouded my judgment! I'd never been close with anypony before you...I'll never try to take you away from Rarity again...just...please don't send me away..." The performer looked up at Twilight, pleading just as much with her gaze as she had with her words.

Rarity watched the scene from the doorway. Just as she had been back when Trixie had given her sob story upon arriving at the library, she was nervous to look at Twilight. Looking at Twilight would certainly reveal the look of forgiveness towards Trixie that she absolutely did not want to see. She knew it was coming, and she looked away, not sure if she could take watching such a thing.

"Trixie..." Twilight said, her voice still calm. "You came here, made a big fuss about just wanting to be friends, abused my trust so much that I was taking your side over Rarity's, and then used a spell to victimize Rarity and make her do something she'd never do. And you lied about the whole thing just so you could take her out of the picture and try to be with me. Maybe we can talk this over one day, but right now, you need to get out of my home."

Rarity stared in awe at Twilight, barely able to believe what she had just heard. Trixie seemed to be in much the same position, as she certainly hadn't expected Twilight to turn her away. Unable to even form words, Trixie got back to her hooves and turned, head hung low. She dragged her hooves past Rarity, who smirked. It wasn't like her to enjoy the misfortune of others, but all things considered, she felt she was well within her rights. The door closed behind her, and Trixie was gone.

There was a moment of silence as Twilight and Rarity stared at each other. Spike took one look at what was going on and silently excused himself. He had saved the day, but it was time to step away and let the two have this moment. He'd make sure that he got a nice, ice-creamy reward later on.

"Rarity..." Twilight said, barely above a whisper. "...I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have-"

Twilight's apology was stopped by a white hoof over her mouth. Rarity sniffled lightly, tears starting to fall around her smile.

"Later, Kitten," she said. "Right now, all I wish is to be with you." Twilight started to try and apologize again, and Rarity's hoof drifted up her cheek and to her ear. Twilight's gentle protests faded, as Rarity knew they would. Of course the ear-stroking would work. It always did.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, everyone! This is a story I've been wanting to tell since shortly after I wrote Sparkle Kitten, but I had never got around to it until now. I'm glad you enjoyed it (At least I hope you did!), and I hope you enjoyed it enough to check out my other works!

Comments ( 19 )

This story...

... is awesome. Another! Please?

3282570

Agreed.

I certainly did you enjoy it Twinkle :-)

I enjoyed this story.
:twilightsmile::heart::raritystarry:
A third story perhaps? :raritywink:

I am disappointed.

The story about bad impulse decisions, guilt, forgiveness and reconciliation (or possibly the lack of those last ones) that I thought I was reading after the end of Chapter 5 seemed much more interesting than the story of triumph over an underhanded antagonist that it turns out that I was reading.

And the way that the behavior of the others in chapter 6 is left unchallenged, as if that would be any way to treat a friend after such an action if it had been driven by nothing but alcohol and selfish desire, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

3286431

I actually did have a number of issues deciding how the story would end. The plan all along was to have Trixie behind it, but I toyed with a number of possible endings, including Twilight forgiving Trixie even after all of that, and Twilight not forgiving Trixie, but Rarity not forgiving Twilight either. It was kinda hard to decide which was the best end result of the story, and I figured whichever decision I made would leave some readers happy while other readers weren't quite as much.

I also totally agree about the last bit, with the other Mane Six's behavior towards Rarity and having to deal with the repercussions of such. That was another tough part to write and attempt to keep in-character. I figure they'll get a talking-to by both Rarity and Twilight in the events following the story, but I didn't want to add another chapter just to deal with it. You're absolutely right though, it's something that should be addressed.

I'm sorry the ending didn't work to your liking, but I greatly appreciate the criticism!

I enjoyed the story but I must admit there are many faults. One of these is the ending. It ends suddenly not really giving a real end. You show that they are back together but never wrap up the town hate towards Rarity. I think you could of expanded on this enemy. You could have added more where she could of tried to drive Rarity out by making a lie or something. I feel that it in the end was resolved to easily. Through out the story Trixie is portrayed as determined to win. But in this last chapter she doesn't even try to pull another trick. She just gives in which I have to admit I was disappointed by. Overall I liked it but it could of been better. Keep up the good work.

3286431

Bad impulse decisions? I assume you've never been drunk, because you don't /make/ decisions while plastered. Trixie didn't need to cast an inhibition-removing spell, because alcohol removes inhibitions in the first place. Rarity made no decision, there just simply wasn't a conscience there to tell her "this isn't something you want to do".

___

3286465
That said, Twinkle, I do agree. This feels like it should be somewhere at the bottom of a chapter. About 70% of the way through. There should be a lead-up... more scenes where Trixie is trying to further wind Twilight around her hoof, perhaps even trying to turn her away from her other friends just a little to isolate Twilight - nothing obvious enough for Twi to know, but there - perhaps even giving the barest seed of doubt ... Going from experience, anyway. Spike and Rarity watching, plotting - taking note of what's going on and what's being said, when things are happening so they know the best time for Trixie to not be suspicious, and for Twilight to be the most receptive.

We neede that final push to reaffirm to the reader that Trixie is a piece of shit here and the only real way to prevent her from manipulating people is enforced banishment, maiming, or death. One does not always need to lie in order to twist people to their selfish and sick desires, the better manipulators know this to be true. A lie is easier to see for what it is than a convenient truth told at the right time.

Then after that takes up 70% of the chapter, we have this block here... Trixie being run out on the rails, and a resolution between Rarity and Twilight - along with some chastisement. Rarity almost seems to have Stockholm Syndrome, frankly - Twilight abused her own partner for the sake of someone who just inserted herself into their lives and relationship, someone that her partner (who should be the most important person in the world to her) vastly distrusted. She took Trixie's side long before the night of alcohol and cheap spells - the moment she abandoned Rarity's misgivings, she was already batting for Trixie's team. Rarity needs to take BACK what's hers, not shush Twilight and tell her it's all okay, just hold me.

In this case, she needs to make sure Twilight is aware of what she has done to hurt Rarity, and when it /started/ because Twilight is obviously socially incompetent, which goes double for relationships - so Twilight will know that this must never happen again - and that she must never have contact with Trixie again or risk destroying their relationship. That is beyond fair to ask, because Twilight has proven she is easy to manipulate, and still has some sort of feelings for Trixie to have allowed any of this to happen.

Then after that, all the warm fuzzies with the lucky Rarity who actually defeated the venomous bitch and got back her loved one, unlike the rest of us who are not so fortunate.

3286465
I think perhaps there should be a third story. I give this series 5 out of 5 mustaches
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Meh, I think I would have liked this story better if I hadn't read 'Trixie's great and powerful revenge' before reading this, since in that story Trixie pretty much rapes Twilight and no one thinks to bring that up in this one.

hmmm....okay de3spite the fact that I really cant in any such universe see Twilight and Rarity together this series was actually good minus the fact that Rarity seemed to be able to pull magic off better than twilight in the first stroy

That was amazing. SEQUEL NOW, AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT!

Um, if you wouldn't mind, that is...:fluttershysad:

sparkle:raritystarry: kitten all the way

To think that Trixie would fall for such a simple trick..

Oh well, all things considered it was still a good fic :pinkiehappy:

I'm disappointed.

Here I expected the big plot twist was that Trixie was genuinely innocent the whole time and Rarity's misgivings were simply caused by the very natural suspicions someone would have around their partner's ex. Seeing as the whole story is shown from her point of view, it made sense that we'd only see her interpretation of events, while things might have been differently by other parties. It would have ended nicely with Twilight realizing how much Rarity cares about her, while Trixie leaves them, happy in the knowledge that her former lover is in good hooves.

Instead Trixie is once again set up with a stupid villain scheme like a strawpony so the smug heroes can knock her down and kick her out without feeling bad about it.

This was a waste of a good premise.

3923090 Afraid I'm echoing here a bit. Was actually expecting Rarity to be overly dramatic, go in full bore with Spike... And Trixie's horn had been lit up because she passed Twilight her drink while she hoofed the one to Rarity.

Admittedly, it was pretty well done, a bit rough here and there, but good story. Now I just need to shake this mental image of Rarity/Trixie/Twilight making up out of my brain. I could almost hear Rarity going 'Stupid Sexy Trixie' during the bar scene, but I suppose the ending as is works.

Well written sir.

4381066
I was sad as the end of the story approached, as i could see the inevitable conclusion being "Trixie is to blame" (when in reality Trixie is Best Pony! :trixieshiftright: ), but in the back of my mind i still kept hoping for a Twixity scenario to somehow emerge :twilightsmile::trixieshiftright::raritywink:

Yaaaaaaaaa! They got together ~ no more Trixie ~

Login or register to comment