• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 3,396 Views, 67 Comments

Tragic Magic - Twinkletail



Twilight and Rarity are a very happy couple, but Trixie's in town and she wants to reclaim Twilight for herself.

  • ...
16
 67
 3,396

Chapter 4

She had been foolish for thinking that everything would be fine. She should have stuck to her guns.

She had been far too accepting of the blue menace. Twilight would have gotten over it in time if she had told her where she could take her lies.

She had been lulled into false security by Trixie's words and Twilight's innocent insistence that Trixie was to be trusted. She should have stood her ground, not allowed herself to be swayed.

And yet she did. In the end, even though it was the others who were committing the wrongdoings, it was Rarity who was to blame for allowing it to happen right under her nose.

She stared helplessly at the scene that laid in front of her. As the two pulled away from the deep kiss that they had been sharing, Rarity could swear that she saw the tiniest bit of remorse in the purple unicorn's eyes. Perhaps she was grasping at straws, trying to convince herself that maybe Twilight would break free from Trixie's spell. She had to; she was the element of magic, the element of friendship. Her magic had to be more powerful than Trixie's. The power of her friendship with Rarity had to be enough to overcome anything Trixie could throw at her.

And yet it wasn't. The vile villainess rebuffed her spell, erasing any remorse held by her love captive. Rarity watched, unable to do anything to stop the acts of betrayal that she bore witness to. The vile blue unicorn let her mane drop in front of one eye as she turned to Rarity.

"Your marefriend is your marefriend no longer, you foal," Trixie said, as Twilight's forelegs snaked around Trixie's neck, attempting to pull her back into her embrace. The blue unicorn placed a hoof on Twilight's forehead and pushed her back against the bed, holding the enamored unicorn back.

"N-no...Sparkle Kitten..." Rarity whimpered. Trixie laughed in response; a cold, shallow laugh that sent a chill up Rarity's spine. She then set her gaze back on Rarity, her lips curling into a devious grin.

"You could have her back, you know," Trixie said, her eyes starting to change colors, first slowly, then faster and faster. "The Great and Powerful Trixie supposes she could use another slave." Rarity gulped, finding that she could not break her gaze away from Trixie's. Slowly, her mind was enveloped by Trixie's magic, as she felt herself losing her resolve. She stood shakily, her legs moving on their own towards the bed. In what seemed like seconds, she had forgotten about her sadness over losing her love, and her anger at the blue unicorn.

"Twilight Sparkle belongs to the Great and Powerful Trixie," Trixie said, smirking; a tiny smile which Rarity now found herself entranced by. "And now...so do you."

"Yes, my love," Rarity found herself saying as she reached the bed. "I am yours..."

Rarity woke up with a start, in a cold sweat. It wasn't the first time this week that she'd had a dream with a similar premise. They would usually start out just fine; she'd be spending time with Twilight, just as she often would while awake. Then Trixie would show up. Twilight would be stolen from her, and she would be left alone and sad. This was the first time that the dream had taken such a different turn, though. It was not the kind of thing that the seamstress wished to think about, as it was under the same type of pretense that she and Twilight had discovered their love for each other. It shook her terribly, so much so that she was unable to return to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, she would see that vile blue visage, smirking and beckoning her to join them. It took thirty sleepless minutes for Rarity to finally give up and drag herself out of bed. This simply could not go on; she would have to talk to somepony about it.

Hours later, Rarity had assembled her friends, save for Twilight, at Sugarcube Corner. She had told each of them that there was a very important, somewhat-private matter that needed to be discussed, but had not elaborated further. Sugarcube Corner had been chosen as the most convenient place to meet, as it was near the center of town and also held the extra benefit of being a fine place to have breakfast.

"So what's this all about, Rarity?" Applejack asked, swallowing the bit of apple danish in her mouth. "Ah owe Big Macintosh somethin' major fer takin' over mah duties t'day." She opened her mouth and allowed Fluttershy to feed her another bite. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at their lovey-dovey behavior before turning to Rarity.

"Yeah, c'mon, Rare," the pegasus said. "I was just gonna lay down for a nice nap, and I MPH!" The cause of her muffled exclamation was Pinkie Pie, who giggled as she tried to emulate AJ and Shy's behavior with her own marefriend. Unfortunately for Dash, she had made a strategic error in trying to shove an entire eclair into her mouth.

"I bet it's got something to do with Twilight!" Pinkie giggled as she maneuvered around to give a now-choking Dash the Heimlich. "That's what my Pinkie Sense told me after all! Two nose-twitches and an ear-flop means some pony has a problem with their special somepony!"

"Did you get that one just now when you nearly killed me with baked goods?" Rainbow asked, coughing up the last bit of eclair.

"Nope!" Pinkie responded, ruffling Rainbow's mane. "Because you're not really mad at me!" Rainbow rolled her eyes. She had to admit, it was hard to be mad at Pinkie.

"Where is Twilight, anyway?" Fluttershy asked. Rarity sighed lightly.

"I did not invite her," the unicorn said. "Because Pinkie's Pinkie Sense was correct; this issue does indeed have to do with her." The other ponies frowned, except for Pinkie, who was proud to be right. Her smile soon turned into a frown as well, once she realized the implications of her being right.

"What did she do?" Applejack asked.

"Well...technically, she has done nothing wrong..." Rarity answered, sighing. "It is simply her insistence on allowing Trixie to stay with her...I'm sure she's mentioned to you in the past week that she and Trixie used to date." The four nodded in response; even if Twilight herself hadn't mentioned it, they certainly would have found out regardless, as Trixie did not exactly do much to not make her presence known, and she was sure to mention her past relationship with Twilight at the drop of a garish pointed hat.

"So what's the problem?" Rainbow asked. "This is Twilight we're talking about. I think we can all agree by now that we can trust Twilight not to do anything to hurt you, even if she's got that blowhard Trixie around." The others nodded in agreement. Rarity looked at the table, sighing once more.

"Trixie said," she started, "That the reason she came to Ponyville was to claim what was once hers, in reference to Twilight. Once she heard that I was seeing her, she claimed that she would not try to get between the two of us, but I simply cannot bring myself to trust her, despite Twilight's insistence."

"But you know Twilight wouldn't allow her to get between the two of you..." Fluttershy offered.

"And if Twilight says somepony can be trusted, then they can probably be trusted!" Pinkie added. "She's really smart! She's so smart that I bet she can tell if a pony is lying somehow! Like with a super-magical Twilight lie detector power!" Suddenly, she gasped. "And that means that she probably knew I was lying when I said that I DIDN'T accidentally eat the cookie that she was saving for Spike yesterday! I gotta go make her a replacement cookie, pronto!" The four watched as Pinkie zipped into the kitchen before they could even think of stopping her.

"Right..." Rainbow said, breaking the silence. "But yeah, if Twilight thinks she can be trusted, then I'm sure she knows what she's talking about.

"But what if her naïveté does not allow her to make a proper judgment?" the unicorn asked. "I had a terrible dream last night, in which Trixie had used a love spell to steal Twilight from me." She stopped short, omitting the bit that had come right after that. "And given our history with love spells..."

"Rarity," AJ said, patting her on the back. "Even if that did happen, d'ya really think a unicorn as powerful as Twilight ain't gunna be able ta counter that wannabe's spells?" Rarity thought about it, but was forced to concede that she did not have a good rebuttal for this.

"And besides," Pinkie said, bouncing out of the kitchen, a smell of cookie dough joining her. "Just because a pony's ex is in town doesn't mean that they're gonna go all gaga-loopy over them! I was fine when Braeburn came into town for the Apple family reunion!"

"You dated Braeburn?" Rarity asked, finding quickly that she was the only one not in the know about this.

"Yeppers!" Pinkie said, plopping herself back into her seat. "We dated for a bit, but it wasn't working out so we decided to just be friends! And when he came in for the reunion, Dashie was being just like you were and saying that he'd better not try anything funny with me! And that was really hard because he's really funny and stuff!"

"Pinkie, that's NOT what I meant..." Rainbow said.

"I know, Dashie!" the pink pony responded, giggling. "And I didn't do anything funny with him because I love my little ear-flop knee-twitch eye-flutter!"

"Your...what?" Rainbow asked. Pinkie giggled again.

"That's what happens when the sky is about to be graced by a beautiful Rainbow!" Pinkie said cheerfully. Rainbow blushed lightly as Rarity smiled.

"Maybe you girls are right," Rarity said. "Perhaps I am worrying far too much." She then drooped. "And in doing so, I have been simply awful to Twilight by not echoing her trust."

"Well, maybe ya should be honest with her about yer feelings," AJ said matter-of-factly. "Go right to her an' tell her exactly how ya felt. Get it off yer chest an' Ah reckon you'll feel a whole lot better." Rarity was hesitant, but then nodded her agreement.

"I shall," the unicorn said.

"You're gonna be all over-dramatic about it, aren't you?" Rainbow asked.

"I shall try not to be," Rarity responded.

~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight stood at her door, speechless as her marefriend sobbed in front of her. She hadn't even said a word past "hello" since opening the door.

"Sh-should I use a different greeting?" the baffled purple unicorn asked.

"I have been a terrible, awful foo-hoo-hoooool..." Rarity blubbered as Twilight gently led her inside.

"What are you talking about, Rarity?" Twilight inquired, helping her onto a couch.

"I should have trusted you when you said to trust Trixie," Rarity whined, accepting the tissue that Twilight was now offering her. She blew loudly into it, then immediately discarded it in the closest trash receptacle. "But alas! I was too hard-headed! Too stubborn! And now...now, I must pay the price by being forced to acknowledge the terrible mental trauma that I must have been putting you through with my selfishness!" Rarity reached forward and grabbed Twilight's front hooves with her own, holding them close to her. "Pleeeeease forgive me, Sparkle Kitten!"

"It's okay, Rarity," Twilight said, giving her a smile. "I forgive you."

"I BEG OF YOU!" Rarity shouted. "PLEASE...you do?" Twilight grinned and nodded as Rarity's reddened eyes looked up to meet hers.

"Of course I do," Twilight responded. "I understand that it might be tough dealing with your marefriend's ex being around her, especially when you and her have a bit of a tumultuous relationship to begin with." She then put a hoof under Rarity's chin, leaning forward and giving her a kiss on the nose. "I forgive you, and I love you."

"Thank you, Kitten," Rarity replied, drying her tears.

"But," Twilight said. "I think you should apologize to Trixie as well." Rarity's face fell instantly.

"Must I, Twilight?" she asked, her reservations about this clear.

"I think you must," Twilight answered. "She was telling me the other day how she feels like you two can't get along, and how she wishes that wasn't the case." Her eyes then lit up. "What if we go out to the club tonight, just the three of us? It'll give you a chance to spend time around her and see that she's worth your trust, and then you two can get along and maybe even become friends! Won't that be fun?" Twilight smiled eagerly, a smile which was not immediately reciprocated by Rarity.

"Y-yes...fun..." the white unicorn replied.