• Published 24th Feb 2021
  • 3,487 Views, 385 Comments

Twilight Over Thanalan - tom117z



When a mysterious figure steals the Element of Magic from the Tree of Harmony, Twilight chases him into a strange realm she does not understand. Its name: Eorzea.

  • ...
10
 385
 3,487

27 - Return to the Waking Sands

Y’shtola was no stranger to travelling on her own. Her solitary efforts in Limsa over the years had given her plenty of time to get used to being alone with her thoughts. Not that she disliked company, of course, but she had long been just as comfortable alone as with friends.

Following Twilight’s capture, however, the unoccupied space at her side was deeply distracting. More so than it had ever been previously.

She walked at a brisk pace for as long as she could each day, almost as if to outpace the silence that followed her. Much to her chagrin, however, it always kept pace, driving her on even more. She stopped for precious little - only for rest or food. Even with those breaks, she knew she was pushing herself. But she didn’t have a choice, did she? Twilight was captured, and rescuing her and the other captured Scions demanded haste. And so she soldiered on.

Finally, after several days of travel and with a cramp settled deep into the muscles of her legs, Y’shtola arrived in Vesper Bay. The small settlement had regained some semblance of an ordinary atmosphere since the massacre at the Waking Sands, a small mercy for which Y’shtola felt equal parts gratitude and offence. A tiny voice in the back of her mind shouted at them, demanding to know how these people could look even remotely at ease after what Empire had done here. They should have been furious, or at least apprehensive.

Then again, none of these civilians were Scions, and few of them even knew of the Scions. It was unfair to expect them to have the same feelings on the matter that Y’shtola did. One did not weep overlong, if at all, for the stranger who died across the street, after all.

As she descended the steps for the Waking Sands, something caught her attention. A well-travelled chocobo stood hitched to a lamppost outside the building, happily munching through the last few greens in a large wooden bucket. The tips of its tail feathers and crest were as black as coal as if the otherwise golden bird had stormed through a wall of fire.

Y’shtola’s eyes widened. She knew this bird.

“It cannot be,” she whispered before picking up the pace. The chocobo afforded her a sidelong glance and a friendly kweh before going back to its meal.

Shoving open the doors, Y’shtola quickly descended the stops and all but charged for the solar in the back. The residual signs of chaos had been largely cleaned out by now, thankfully, and the whole place looked as good as new, though the lights were still out. Yda must be keeping herself busy.

As she approached the door to the Solar, Y’shtola came to a stop. There were voices on the other side. More than one. She took a breath and pushed the doors open, steeling herself even as her stride quickened despite herself into a near-run.

The door crashed open and the solar was revealed, including the occupants within. Y’shtola drew up short, her breath hitching in her throat and her heart skipping a beat with shock and relief.

There he was, the very adventurer to whom that chocobo belonged. He looked a little more battered and weary than the last time Y’shtola had seen him, and his axe bore numerous new notches as evidence of hard-won battles, but he otherwise seemed hale and healthy.

Yda too was there… Along with faces Y’shtola had not seen in some time.

One was Alphinaud Leveilleur, the youngest of the Scions’ number. An elezen boy of sixteen summers, grandchild of their order’s founder as the Circle of Knowing, and one that fancied himself quite the little lordling in her experience with the lad.

The other face, though, she had never thought to see again.

He was a man entering the onset of his thirties, white of hair with a scruffy beard that matched well with his ceruleum-stained overalls and heavy gloves. Industrial goggles sat atop his brow, a central lens protecting and obscuring the third eye in his forehead.

Cid Garlond. Legendary garlean engineer, proprietor of Garlond Ironworks, and friend to both herself and the long-missing and forgotten Warriors of Light.

Everyone was jumping in alarm as the swinging door slammed against the wall behind it, and Y’shtola had the impression she had just interrupted an afternoon nap. The warrior in particular jumped as if ejected from a particularly vivid dream.

“Y’shtola!” Yda shouted out, shooting to her feet and rushing over in excitement and relief.

Y’shtola smiled at her, then looked to the others. “You… You are all safe. And… and Cid.”

Cid nodded her way. “Y’shtola. It has been a long time. I… ahem. I apologize for the absence. It seems fate had me play a bit part for a while.”

“That we five should meet each other thus defies simple explanation,” Y’shtola breathed in relieved disbelief, glancing over at the gathered faces as though they might be a dream. “It is as if the benevolent hand of Master Louisoix guides us still. He would not see us undone so easily. Not now, when the need is so great.”

Y’shtola closed her eyes. The faces of those who were still missing, Twilight’s front and centre, flashed in her mind’s eye as she felt the presence of the broken staff on the wall. She took in another breath, opening her eyes once more as her pupils dilated into slits as her gaze burned with desperate determination.

“I know where Minfillia and the others are being held.”

Alphinaud stepped forward, glancing up curiously at the miqo’te. “Where?” he asked, his young voice smooth as butter and thick with confidence.

“An imperial stronghold in the heart of Mor Dhona - Castrium Centri.”

“I knew you could do it!” Yda announced with a joyful bounce. “The both of you! That you would find our spy, figure out just where to rescue our friends, and hit the Empire right where it hurts!

Y’shtola flinched and found she couldn’t quite meet the hyur’s masked gaze.

It took a second for Yda to notice. She tilted her head .“...Right?”

“Hold on. ‘Both’?” Alphinaud questioned, crossing his arms with a frown. “I was not aware you had set off with company, Y’shtola.”

Silence deafened the room, expectant eyes resting on the miqo’te as she, in what was a very rare circumstance indeed, didn’t quite know what to say…

That silence was broken by a gentle clang, the warrior’s axe being settled on the ground as he rose to his feet. His blue eyes drifted to the empty space by Y’shtola’s side, before gently drifting back to the woman filled with knowing sadness.

“What happened to Twilight?”

Y’shtola took in a deep breath. She looked down at her side as if hoping the alicorn would magically reappear beside her and spare her an explanation. No such luck, sadly. She closed her eyes. “...She was taken as well.”

Yda’s hands flew up to her mouth. “Oh, no! How?! What happened?!”

Y’shtola grit her teeth. “We were attacked shortly after finding our spy in Thal’s Respite. Y’sanna assaulted us once again. And she did not come alone this time. She was joined by an Ascian — the very one that absconded with Twilight’s artefact; Scarmiglione.”

The warrior’s expression darkened considerably, his eyes narrowing with dismay. Yda looked about ready to fall to her knees at the news.

Y’shtola continued. “In the course of the battle, Twilight’s horn was smothered by our adversary, causing her next spell to catastrophically misfire. She was left crippled, and in her weakened state, she was unable to defend herself when the Ascian fell upon her. I tried to intervene, but Y’sanna barred my path. Ere I had the chance, Scarmiglione vanished into the dark… and he took Twilight with him.”

As she wrapped up the story, she noticed that Alphinaud and Cid looked more confused than anything. It was the former who spoke, shooting the adventurer a sceptical glare before focusing on Y’shtola.

“Twilight? So you mean to tell me these stories of a ‘tiny purple pony’ I’ve been forced to listen to these past few weeks were not, in fact, told in jest?” Alphinaud asked, sounding equal parts annoyed and confused.

Yda slapped her fist into her hand. “I told you!”

The adventurer nodded.

Alphinaud pursed his lips together, then shrugged helplessly. “I stand corrected, then.”

Off to the side, Cid tilted his head and raised a hand like a student in class. “Right, I’ve been out of the loop for some time. Would someone mind filling me in?” he asked, visibly clueless.

Despite the direness of the situation, Y’shtola couldn’t help but smile. And then laugh, however softly, at the moment of banter. Once her amusement settled, she spent the next several minutes getting everyone around her up to speed on the situation. Twilight’s origins, the distressing situation involving her Element, and all the other important details. Yda chimed in every so often, ‘helpfully’ expressing how cute and adorable she thought Twilight was, while the warrior just offered his customary stoic nods.

When all was said and done, Alphinaud held a hand to his chin, his eyes turned down in thought. “Allow me to see if I have the right of it. The Ascians have what is, essentially, a crystal of light from another star in their possession, and have done so for nearly as long as I and my sister have been in Eorzea. And now the owner of that crystal is similarly in Ascian custody.”

Y’shtola nodded. “Imperial custody, but given the intimacy of Van Baelsar’s alliance with the paragons, it may as well be one and the same,” she said, her hands curling into fists at her side. “And I was powerless to do aught about it. Twilight was in my care, and I failed to keep her out of the enemy’s clutches!”

Cid lifted his hands placatingly. “Easy now, lass. From all I’ve heard, these Ascians blindsided everyone. It won’t do you any good to get caught up in self-deprecation, now will it?”

Alphinaud lent his voice in agreement. “Quite right. Such behaviour is rather unbecoming of you, Y’shtola.”

Y’shtola looked down at Alphinaud, narrowing her eyes into a questioning glare. He flinched, his jaw parting just slightly as he realized he may have just made a severe tactical mistake. Y’shtola slowly crossed her arms over her chest. “Would you care to repeat that sentiment, young man?

Alphinaud looked off to one side. “...W-we are wasting time with this chicanery,” he stumbled into the excuse to change subjects with less than grace, but Y’shtola would allow it. “Our comrades are imprisoned. We must make plans to see them free. And if this Twilight Sparkle is indeed analogous to a Warrior of Light, then her retrieval must be assured.”

Yda slapped a hand to her visor. “Gods, Alphi. Retrieval?”

“Did I say aught amiss?”

“You make her sound like an asset rather than a person!”

“I stated no such thing! I merely meant to say- Agh, we have not the time for this, Yda. Van Baelsar is not going to sit around and bicker while he has the crystal in his grasp.”

Y’shtola levelled him a look for a few moments. There was a small smile on her face, one filled with enough motherly disappointment that the young boy suddenly found himself taking a step backwards. The moment was brief, or a millennium depending on who was asked, but the miqo’te shook her head before turning to face Yda.

“On that much, I can agree. And Castrum Centri is not a target to be trifled with.” Y’shtola announced, crossing her arms and closing her eyes in thought. “Infiltrating it will not be an easy task. The base is on constant high alert, patrols watch the perimeter and their numbers are far too many for anything short of a combined Alliance assault.”

“I do have some thoughts about that,” Cid stated, rubbing his beard idly. “Stray thoughts, mind you. More of a proof of concept. But it would be far easier with my assistants back at my side.”

Yda tilted her head a the man. “Biggs and Wedge, you mean? But they got snatched up by the baddies too.”

“So I heard. We know for certain they are with the rest of our friends?”

“We do not, no. My informant mentioned nothing of your engineers,” Y’shtola informed him regretfully.

“Right… bit of a bother, that. I’d appreciate it if we could keep an ear out.”

Y’shtola nodded. “That is the idea. Now, as Alphinaud said — If we are to rescue our friends, we’re going to need a plan, and a plan requires intelligence. And I believe I know a man who may be able to assist us in this: Lord Portelaine of House Durendaire. He is stationed at the Observatorium in Corethas. I propose we go to him and beseech his aid.”

Then she frowned and crossed her arms as a problem with that plan made itself known to her. “That said, the Ishgardians are notoriously disinclined to work with outsiders on anything…”

The warrior perked up, and Alphinaud, as if sensing what he was thinking, lent his voice to the discussion again. “Considering the mountain of favours and tasks we were forced to do for the Ishgardians of late, I daresay we may have an inroad with them.”

Yda pumped her fists. “Great! Who knew being Eorzea’s errand boy would pay off so handsomely, eh?!”

The adventurer frowned.

Cid smirked. “Come now, no need to look like that. It does seem to be a surprisingly accurate description.”

Y’shtola chuckled weakly. “Then it seems we have a plan of action - or at least the start of one,” she said before drawing herself upright. “We’ve little time to waste. Let us make our preparations and set off as soon as we are able.”

“Damn right!” Yda agreed, thrusting a fist up into the air. Then she paused and looked down at her decidedly short shorts. “Should I pack some pants, you think? …nah, no time. Alphinaud was fine, so I should be, too!”

“Don’t you think that’s a bit irresponsible?” Alphinaud asked. “And ‘fine’ might be a strong word for it-”

“Aw, psh! Worst comes to worst, a certain adventurer can earn enough gil to buy me a pair en route!” Yda interrupted before giving the warrior a big grin. “Isn’t that right?”

He could not suppress a grimace. “If I have to tend one more cabbage patch…”

“Oh, you love helping every downtrodden villager who comes your way. Admit it!”

“And yet they always seem to end with dragon eyes and demonic possessions.”

Y’shtola quirked an eyebrow. “There appears to be a story there.”

“One for another time,” Alphinaud interrupted as the man opened his mouth to tell the tale. “The hour is late and we have preparations to make.”

Y’shtola smirked. “The young lord has spoken,” she teased in turn. “Our friends likely await execution, and I dare not guess what the likes of the Garleans would do to Twilight, let alone the Ascians. I will await you all outside, come find me when you are prepared.”

After a round of affirmations, Y’shtola turned to depart the solar and return to the streets of Vesper Bay. As she passed through the dark, silent halls of the Waking Sands, she found a presence making haste to catch up to her.

Y’shtola turned as she crested the top of the steps and brushed past the door out to the open air of Thanalan, watching Yda as the hyur rushed up behind her. The woman came to a steady stop, glancing around nervously before Y’shtola cleared her throat.

“Speak, Yda. What is on your mind?”

Yda considered for a moment, rubbing her hands together. “It’s just… if you want to go after Twilight, let me come with you!”

The miqo’te frowned at the hyur. “You have guessed rightly that I intend to focus on retrieving our equine friend once we make entry, but we must split our efforts thoroughly. I would have thought Papalymo would be first on your mind.”

“He is! Believe me, I’m… terrified about what could happen, but… he can look after himself! Papalymo is strong. Strong enough for both of us. But Twilight is just so… lost here. So far from home. She does not belong in a Garlean cell, and I want to make sure we get her out of there. She’s too innocent to be left with them!”

Y’shtola sighed, recalling Twilight’s horror at the imperial officer she slew at the edge of The Black Shroud. “I fear our present conflict has done much to spoil such innocence. But very well, if you are determined then I shall not stop you.”

“Great! Then we just need to figure out how to bust their door down! I vote the primal slaying axe!”

“Yda, did you listen to- Never mind. I do have a thought in that regard.”

“I knew you would! What is it?”

“There is a train. One that makes regular stops at the Castrum for supply runs. It is heavily guarded, but nowhere to the levels of the base itself. Our number is far too noticeable to all make use of it as a method of entry, but with just the two of us…”

“Oh, a stealth mission, then?”

“First we must ensure the rest of our fellowship can secure their own entry, but yes. Should they proceed from one direction, we can make use of the train to sneak in our own way.”

“Divide, conquer, and knock the lights out of any tinhead that gets in our way!” Yda stated in approval. “I approve!”

Y’shtola smiled warmly. She did not say so out loud, but she had dearly missed Yda’s gung-ho attitude. Things had increasingly grim with every event and every step. And while Yda’s ‘charms’ hadn’t made the situation any less daunting, it at least managed to refuel that small spark of resolve in Y’shtola’s belly that had been flickering after Twilight’s abduction.

“Your approval is noted. Now come. We’ve work to do, and only so much time to do it,” she finally said before beckoning for Yda to her out of the Waking Sands.

There was still so much to do. Preparation. Planning. Each precious second passing by was another their friends spent in imperial custody. Another that Twilight was enduring who knows what horrors at the hands of the Ascians and their unending, relentless scheming.

“Just hang on,” she thought as she stepped out into the sunlight. “You’ll not long be their prisoners. Any of you.”

Author's Note:

We return after a bit of an absence. First Christmas, then I caught pneumonia over January and February. What a time that was...

Comments ( 10 )

How many of y'all having ARR PTSD from the chapter title? :trixieshiftright:

11849544
Considering I've helped multiple people over the past couple months play through the game as of recent... it's more recent wound picking than it'd be otherwise :P

At any rate, this was definitely great to see update.

As an aside, though...

Y’shtola nodded. “That is the idea. Now, as Alphinaud said — If we are to rescue our friends, we’re going to need a plan, and a plan requires intelligence. And I believe I know a man who may be able to assist us in this: Lord Portelaine of Gouse Durendaire. He is stationed at the Observatorium in Corethas. I propose we go to him and beseech his aid.”

Think this was supposed to be House

Either way, this story continues to nail pretty much every aspect it can hope to depict, and I can only hope the Castrum rescue goes as well as it otherwise does in game, but that remains to be seen... that said, as always, I'm eager to see this continue, whenever updates are possible!

11849544
There's a reason my favorite fate is 'Pray Slay the Waking Sands'.

Hope you are doing better good author. Thank you for the words!

aww Y’shtola is so worried about Twi :pinkiesad2: hope they get her out of there soon

The cavalry's mounting up. Now lets hope they can break through the line.

11849544
I wanted to seek refuge in liquor after I saw it... This part of ARR is brutal on the emotions...


"Pray, let us return to the Waking Sands"

Author's Note:
We return after a bit of an absence. First Christmas, then I caught pneumonia over January and February. What a time that was...

Oof, glad to hear you're much better now!

JMP

Ah, good old ARR Alphinaud. Little brat. Good to see Y'shtola putting up with exactly none of bis nonsense

Login or register to comment