• Published 24th Feb 2021
  • 3,480 Views, 385 Comments

Twilight Over Thanalan - tom117z



When a mysterious figure steals the Element of Magic from the Tree of Harmony, Twilight chases him into a strange realm she does not understand. Its name: Eorzea.

  • ...
10
 385
 3,480

6 - Drybone

Twilight was impressed by her new friends’ ability to convey so much information in so few words. The events she had just gone through would have taken her several minutes to convey, and that’s if she were abridging the events for brevity. The axe-wielding human, however, managed to explain the whole situation in under one. She wasn’t even sure he used more than one sentence.

Of course, a lot of the terms flew right over her head, but that didn’t really matter at the moment.

The new arrival listened intently, his eyes routinely darting over to look at Twilight. She fidgeted uncomfortably under his gaze, not sure what to do or if she should say anything. Eventually, once the warrior finished recounting the tale, the white-haired man nodded.

“Well, it certainly sounds like you went and had all the fun without me,” he said with a casual shrug of his shoulders and a small, friendly smile. “A pity, though I do not envy you the task of facing off against Ifrit…”

Before he could say anything else, a loud sound tore through the air, causing Twilight to jump. She looked up, her ears folding back in alarm. It was a war horn, of that she was certain, and there were the guttural battle cries of the Amalj’aa blended in with it.

The white-haired man swore under his breath. “Damn it all! We’ll have to continue this discussion later. The Amalj’aa aren’t like to be pleased that you slew their god, and I’d rather not be here to receive their ‘complaints,’” he said. He turned and beckoned for the Adventurer to follow. “Come with me! You can tell me more back at Drybone!”

Twilight blinked even as her new friend made to follow. She took a step after them, her ears folding back. “W-wait!” she called, causing both of them to come to a stop.

The white-haired man’s eyes flew wide in response. “By the Twelve! It can speak?!” he asked in surprise.

Twilight’s nose wrinkled in annoyance. “That’s ‘she,’ and yes I can speak!” she shot back in indignation.

The man blinked a few times before his face relaxed. “Well… It’s not like that’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen,” he said, a more loose smile adorning his features.

Twilight kept her gaze on him for a moment before looking down at the ground. She took a deep breath. This was it, her chance to make some allies, figure out where she was, and hopefully get some help finding that man in the black mask. She lifted her gaze back to the man and set her jaw. “Can… can I come with you?”

The man blinked in surprise. His brow furrowed in thought.

Twilight took a pleading step forward. “Please. I have no idea where I am, what’s going on, and I could really use some help. My home might be in danger and I have no idea who else to turn to! You people are the first friendly things I’ve met since I got here!”

The white-haired man eyed her for a few more seconds, a conflict raging behind his eyes. The war horn sounded again, and the distant clash of battle being joined echoed over the mesas. He grimaced and turned to the Adventurer, silently asking for his input. In response, he got a large smile and a confident nod.

The white-haired man studied him for a second, before finally relenting. He turned back to Twilight. “Alright, fine then. It’s not safe here, anyway. Come along, swiftly! I have plenty of questions, but they can wait till we’re far away from here!” he said sternly.

Twilight sighed with relief and nodded. “Thank you,” she whispered. With that, the group turned and fled from the bowl of embers, leaving the sounds of distant battle behind. As they went, Twilight took a deep breath, and a surge of hope and confidence sprung into life in her chest, a much-needed oasis in the desert of doubt and anxiety she’d been stumbling through so far.


“So, that was the ‘mighty’ Ifrit...”

The sarcasm dripping from the man’s tone was almost as poignant as the look of pure boredom on his features. He lazily gazed down at a device on his wrist, profoundly disappointed with the lacklustre results it displayed. He closed it up, unable to help himself as he spitefully spat to one side before standing with a glare of pure poison.

“And what a disappointment he was. The readings are nowhere near what I had anticipated, even taking Ul’dahn interference into account.”

He was adorned in plate armour coloured a deep crimson with gold trimmings. Dirty blonde hair was swept back over his head, leaving all of his well-chiselled and lightly-stubbled face visible to the world. On the ground beside him was his helmet, vaguely reminiscent of a dragon’s head.

He was knelt down on one knee at the top of a towering mesa that overlooked the bowl of embers, joined by a companion adorned in similar armour, albeit hers was coloured a bright white, and her features were obscured by a helmet with a black design on the faceplate that looked almost like a skull.

He let out a sigh, eyes curiously shifting from the vanquished Ifrit to those that had done the vanquishing. Now there was an odd sight, and one far more interesting to his eyes given the lacklustre performance from the intended mark.

As he looked, he only paid vague attention to the white armoured individual standing impatiently behind him.

“You should know better than to rely upon five-year-old data left behind by the VIIth legion,” the said figure rebuked. “Nor can we expect any support from the motherland, given the troubles at court. We have only ourselves to rely on.”

“Ever the pessimist, Livia. Promise me you’ll never change.”

“We’ve wasted enough time here. That meter of yours is too old to give any readings worth a damn,” Livia sas Junius retorted as the last vestiges of patience she held for the man ebbed away.

Nero tol Scaeva shook his head. “Not that there was aught worth a damn for it to read… and yet…”

Any further train of thought was once again forgotten as he focused on the strange creature accompanying the Ul’dahns and their meddling Scion friends. It had spoken, it had fought alongside their latest champion, and it had ultimately contributed in felling the pathetic excuse for a god they’d fought.

Not an achievement he believed to be of particular note, considering—and yet, this creature resembled none he had ever encountered. Aside from a scarce few equines perhaps, but no mount truly resembled this small lavender-coated beast. The potency of the magic it had displayed wasn’t really anything to write back to Garlemald about either…

And yet…

He opened his device once more, levelling it at the equine as it began to depart with the others before the local beast tribe could resume hostilities. It beeped and whirred for several moments, locking onto the thing before she finally vanished from sight. Not quick enough, however, as Nero’s device successfully got an aetheric signature from it. He gazed down at the meter, watching it calculate with a growing fascination.

“Well then. That is more like it.”

Livia glared down at him. “Excuse me?”

“Despite the relatively poor display of magic on its part, that… thing has reserves far deeper than I could have ever anticipated by looking at it. How curious. I’d say it may even have more potential than that poor excuse for a primal it just fought.”

“Really?” she replied doubtfully. “Perhaps your device is not merely old, but just defective.”

“I assure you, it works as intended,” he snarled back. “Oddly, despite the lack of prowess shown, that creature has more than enough aether that one could be forgiven for believing it a primal itself. Perhaps not on the level of, say, Garuda. At least not now, but one must wonder what it could do given the right amount of crystals…”

“Surely you jest. If that were the case, Ifrit would have fallen with greater ease. Not to mention he would have recognized her as a fellow so-called ‘god.’”

“Indeed. It is no primal, and the proficiency on display calls into question its experience. Perhaps it was merely holding back to not let the Scion know of its true strength, or perhaps it is merely unable to reach its full potential as of yet. Either way, I’d love to pick it apart and see what makes it tick…”

“That is not our mission here. We are to select candidates for the Ultima Weapon, not to satisfy your idle curiosity.”

“Ah, dear Livia, but don’t you see?” he responded with a smirk. “An unknown creature with the potential to surpass the primals themselves? The Ultima Weapon would surely benefit from such an influx of aether.”

“And yet it is not a primal, thus it is irrelevant.”

“Not yet, at least.”

“Enough!” she shut him down quickly. “You dare to entertain the thought of disobeying Lord Gaius? I shall hear none of it, especially when those thoughts ascertain to such crude barbarism!”

“You think too small. I am the expert here, and I know an opportunity when it presents itself.”

“I shall hear no more of this, or I shall save him the trouble of disciplining you. Am I understood?”

Nero frowned, gritting his teeth in aggravation at her answer. Nevertheless, he didn’t press the issue further.

“And the Adventurer? Their own strength is not unworthy of note. Either one could be of hindrance to our plans if not properly accounted for.”

Livia turned, starting to walk away.

“Perhaps, but a consideration for another time. You have been given a task, and it is your only priority. Do not forget that we serve Lord Baelsar’s will alone. You will regret it if you do.”

And with that, she walked away from the man without another word. On his part, Nero watched her go with an irritated grimace that soon morphed into an expression of amusement.

“With allies like that… Beware a woman in love, but some things are just too tempting to pass up.”

With one last glance down at his meter, ideas already forming inside his head, he started to follow on behind his less-than-grateful comrade.


In all her years, Twilight had never seen such a wide and varied assortment of humanoid creatures before. The previous variations she had spotted back in the bowl of embers were only a small portion of the total variety that seemed to be on display in the small village of Drybone. From her position hidden inside of the Flames Headquarters, she could spy burly men with red and green skin hauling enormous crates to and fro, smaller men and women who might have passed for children were they not bearing arms, swift men and women with feline aspects such as ears and tails, and simply really tall people who carried themselves with an almost pompous posture and grace.

The village itself was remarkable in its efficiency. To escape from the scorching heat of the desert sun, Drybone had been built in a large pit that Twilight assumed had been dug into the earth, affording ample shade. Banners, tarps, and awnings that stretched from one side of the pit to the other overhead blocked off more of the sunlight, and what light poked through was as varied in colour as the ponies of Ponyville were.

The buildings were largely simply sandstone with the occasional reinforcement of wood beams. Many had been built into the walls of the settlement’s pit itself, making Drybone a very vertical settlement. Despite its small size, she imagined it could house an impressive number of people.

Most striking of all was the colossal blue crystal that stood at the heart of the village. It spun slowly in a lazy circle, with smaller crystals and golden rings orbiting it independently of one another. It cast a near-constant blue glow over the whole settlement, one which she imagined made navigating at night rather easy.

It had been well over a day since she had departed from the Amalj’aa territory. She had had very few chances to converse with her new friends since then, as their time had largely been occupied by one, long, uninterrupted trek across Thanalan, as the desert was so-called, to reach Drybone. Once they had arrived, her new friends—the white-haired one she now knew by the name of Thancred—had been occupied tending to a variety of matters around the village. Dealing with the aftermath of their confrontation with Ifrit, if she were to hazard a guess.

She had been dropped off here under the cover of night and told to keep a low profile. According to Thancred, while the inhabitants of Drybone weren’t necessarily an unfriendly lot, they had been dealing with a lot of stress as of late, and seeing something so foreign as Twilight would likely only cause more trouble that, right now, was not wanted.

Twilight had tried to argue against this but eventually gave in. She knew precious little of what was going on in this realm, after all, and it would not do to take action born of ignorance. So, much as it pained and bored her, she kept quiet in the small barracks house she had been left in.

They couldn’t stop her from watching the town outside, though. It was too fascinating for her not to!

It was getting on toward midday when, finally, the monotony broke. A door in the back of the room swung open, and a very tired-looking Thancred walked in, accompanied by the axe-wielding adventurer that Twilight still didn’t know the name of.

“Ugh. Damn bureaucracy…” Thancred groaned in dismay as they shut the door behind them.

Twilight let herself down from the window and quickly made her way over to the two, a spring in her step. “You’re back!”

Thancred put on a warm smile. “Yes, apologies for the long wait, but there was a lot of reporting to be made to the local representatives for the Immortal Flames. It was all quite the headache.”

The Adventurer rolled his eyes, though judging by his frown, he shared the sentiment.

Thancred shot him a narrow-eyed pout before shrugging. He made his way towards one of the many unoccupied beds that filled the central space of the building and sat down. “Now, then. I do believe there are plenty of questions we have for each other.”

Twilight nodded, eagerly sitting across from him. Finally! A chance for some information!

Thancred waited until she was settled, then leaned back in his seat. “Alright. Why don’t you start? I daresay you seem to be a little more out of the water than I am.”

“Out of the water and into the desert,” Twilight remarked bitterly, her ears flicking in annoyance. “I don’t think I’ve ever had to deal with so much sand before…”

“So not a native of Thanalan, or so I would gather. Where are you from, then? I would assume the Black Shroud, given that I have never heard tell of unicorns appearing anywhere else. And come to think of it, I don’t think I have learned your name yet, either.”

Twilight blinked. The Black Shroud? That sounded far more ominous than it probably was, given the glib ease with which Thancred referred to it. But that wasn’t the part that got her attention the most. She turned to Thancred, her eyes wide. “Wait, unicorns?! You mean there are other ponies in this region?!”

Thancred stared blankly at her for a few seconds. “Well… I don’t know about ponies, but there are some horses in Eorzea, though I gather most of them are from the Far East. But that is neither here nor there.”

Twilight sighed slightly. None of these terms were familiar to her. Might as well just answer the question she had been asked. She lifted her head and slightly unfurled her wings in what she hoped was a display of significance. “Ahem. My name is Twilight Sparkle. I’m a princess of a land called Equestria. Although, I do not know where Equestria is relative to here. You said this land is called Eorzea?”

A look of confusion came across both Thancred and the Adventurer’s faces at the word ‘Equestria.’ They shared a look before Thancred answered. “I did… and I must say that I have never even heard the word Equestria, much less heard of a country that goes by it. And I’ve heard of a fair few lands in my day; even ones I shall probably never see.”

It was like a mallet had been taken to her chest. Twilight looked down as the realization dawned on her that, if she was still in her own world, she was very, very far away from her home. Farther than she had ever been before. But given everything that had happened so far, it would probably be better if she kept the possibility that she was from another world under wraps for the time being. No need to make things more complicated than they already were.

“Princess?” the Adventurer suddenly spoke up, drawing Twilight’s attention back to the discussion.

“R-right. Princess. I’m one of a handful of princesses that preside over and rule Equestria; although my role has very little to do with actual governance. I’m the Princess of Friendship, so I largely help settle social matters, and promote companionship and compassion wherever I can.”

Or, at least, she presumed that’s what was expected of her. Having only just received the title after being royalty for scarcely a year, she wasn’t really sure what her role in Equestria was meant to be. She was more sure than when the wings on her back first sprouted, to be sure, especially now she had her title, but it was still a lot to adjust to.

“Er, best not bother them with that, though...”

“An ambassador of sorts, then. Never thought I’d hear the word ‘princess’ applied to someone in such a position, but who am I to judge?” Thancred mused aloud before shrugging his shoulders. “Regardless. We’ve established where you’re from; at least somewhat, but not why you are here. Judging by what you’ve already said, you’re not even sure how you came to be in Thanalan.”

Twilight nodded. “I’m not… You see, a couple days ago, someone in dark robes wearing a black mask appeared near the Tree of Harmony—which is a very important place in Equestria—and stole the most powerful artefact Equestria has. An Element of Harmony… my Element of Harmony. I tried to stop him, and we wound up struggling with each other. There was a flash of darkness, and then… I was in the desert. He left me in the sands and disappeared…”

She lifted her eyes back to Thancred, an edge of desperation bleeding into her voice. “I have to get my Element of Harmony back! I don’t know who this black-masked man was or why he stole it, but it can’t be good! He hurt my friends and damaged the Tree itself, and unless all of the Elements are together, they’re basically useless! But...”

Her ears drooped, and she looked away. “I have no idea where I am or what I’ve gotten myself into. So if I’m going to stop this man and get my Element back, I’m going to need help.”

A heavy silence hung in the air following her admittedly somewhat abridged recapping of events. It still wasn’t as to the point and concise as the warrior’s had been, but it did the trick.

Eventually, Thancred let off a long, thoughtful hum. “A man in dark robes and black mask, you say…? My dear Twilight, I daresay we share a common enemy.”

Twilight blinked, her eyes going wide. “Huh?”

Thancred rose to his full height, a confident, companionable smirk on his face. “And if it’s help against this enemy you seek, then you couldn’t have stumbled across a finer group of allies.”

Hope and joy sprang to life in Twilight’s chest. She jumped from her seat, her ears standing straight and her wings unfurling slightly. “So you’ll help me?!”

Thancred nodded. “I’d be happy to. That being said, however, the decision is not exactly mine to make.”

Twilight tilted her head. “It’s… not?”

Thancred shook his head. “Don’t misunderstand, I do not doubt that you’ll receive the aid you need. But my order—the Scions of the Seventh Dawn—is entrusted with the task of combatting the Primal threat. Ifrit is but one part of that, and our resources are spread fairly thin at any given time. If you’re going to get our full support, you’ll need to speak with the others as well.”

The Adventurer stepped forward, pressing a fist against his chest. The grin on his face indicated, if they were to judge it correctly, that he was volunteering to be her chaperone.

Thancred turned to him with a grateful smile. “Ah, if you would take her back, I’d deeply appreciate it. There are still matters in Ul’dah that need resolving before I can return to the Sands myself. Namely taking care of those tempered by Ifrit…”

Twilight’s jovial mood immediately dimmed. She didn’t know the full extent of what had befallen those soldiers, but it had been deeply unsettling. She just hoped that Thancred could help them.

Thancred turned back to Twilight. “Rest assured, I shan’t be far behind. Besides, I wouldn’t miss such a meeting anyway. This is all just too good to pass up.”

Twilight nodded, tearing her thoughts away from the ‘tempered.’ “Alright. So, where are we headed?”

Thancred crossed his arms with his smirk becoming one of appreciation. “Straight to business, are we? Good. That will serve you well in these parts. My friend here will bring you back to our headquarters, known as the Waking Sands. It’s located in a small village on the coast of Aldenard, called Vesper Bay. Once there, you can ask my colleagues as many questions as you like. And again, don’t worry, I’ll be right behind you.”

Twilight nodded, turning to the Adventurer with a sharp grin. “Alright! I was getting tired of sitting on my hooves anyway. And on the way, you can fill me in on this land! If I’m going to be stuck here, I’m going to need to know everything!

An uncomfortable look came onto the Adventurer’s face, and he took a step back. Thancred, in turn, merely laughed. Twilight looked between them in confusion. What had she said?

Thancred got a hold of himself and shrugged helplessly. “Ah, forgive me. I would just advise you to temper your expectations. I don’t know if you noticed, but the man behind me isn’t exactly a talkative sort. I can barely get him to say more than a few words at a time, most days, and even then he tends to just opt for a silent, stoic nod.”

As if for emphasis, the warrior nodded twice.

Twilight pouted. “Oh… Well, can you at least try to tell me about things as we’re going? I can’t go in blind!”

A few seconds passed before the Adventurer relaxed and, predictably, offered a silent nod in response.

Twilight sighed.

“Now, if there’s nothing else?” Thancred asked. “I really should see to our present… issues, before the Flames send out a search party for me.”

“Oh, okay. Well, I won’t keep you. Though, um, Adventurer?”

The warrior looked curiously at the small unicorn.

“You. I know you don’t say much, but can you please tell me your name now? I didn’t get an answer before.”

“Ah, yes, I do believe it would behoove you to reveal your name to a future travelling companion,” Thancred noted with a smirk.

"Was that a pun?" Twilight inwardly considered, but ultimately decided to ignore it if it was, indeed, a pun.

The Adventurer shrugged, stepping forward and placing a hand on his chest as he prepared to finally introduce himself.

“D-”

“Scion!” a new voice suddenly interrupted them, coming from outside and sounding quite agitated.

Horseapples!”

“Oh, I do believe that search party has arrived,” Thancred said regretfully. “Regrettably, I must be off. I shall meet you all back at the Sands. Do try not to do anything I wouldn’t and would do while I’m gone.”

The Adventurer gave a hearty nod as Thancred turned to leave. The man watched the open doorway for a few moments before, seemingly forgetting the last several moments, gestured for Twilight to follow as he also exited the room.

“Hey! Wait a minute!”

Twilight scrambled after him, her whining protests going unheeded as his name, once again, was lost to the aetherial winds...