• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 20,547 Views, 3,414 Comments

Just Girls Talking - MythrilMoth



Ponies and their human counterparts talk about various things.

  • ...
94
 3,414
 20,547

PreviousChapters Next
The Most Important Thing

Seven girls in jeans and sweaters sat around a nicked, chipped old table in Applejack's living room. The furniture was old, worn-out, and mismatched, but comfortable, and the whole house smelled of apples. A merry fire crackled in the ancient brick fireplace, and though the stockings had been taken down the day before, the holiday decorations were still hanging all over the house.

Sunset Shimmer took a sip of her hot apple cider and smiled, humming appreciatively. "This is nice," she said.

Applejack grinned. "Granny's special recipe."

"Not the cider," Sunset said. "I mean, yeah, the cider's great. What I meant was...all of this. Everything." She gestured around. "Spending the holidays with friends around a fire, just enjoying each other's company."

"What was Christmas like where you're from?" Twilight asked curiously, wiping her glasses on her sweater.

"Well, back there, it isn't called Christmas, it's called Hearth's Warming." Sunset took another sip of cider, then told the girls the story of the founding of Equestria, the bitter feuding of the three tribes, and the Fire of Friendship that drove away the Windigos. The girls listened in rapt attention.

When Sunset was finished, she finished her cider, then said, "The way we celebrate is pretty much the same, though. I mean, there are some differences. In Equestria, we hang hoofmade dolls instead of stockings. The traditional dishes for Hearth's Warming dinner are different. There's a flag we raise." She shrugged. "Little differences." She fell silent, a wistful look on her face.

"Sunset? What's the matter?" Rarity asked.

Sunset sighed and looked down at her empty mug. "Sorry, I was just...thinking about the last time I spent Hearth's Warming with my family." She chuckled dryly. "I was eight. It was the year before I left home to study at Celestia's school. They wanted me to come home for Hearth's Warming, but I was so wrapped up in everything I was learning, I just..." She ran a finger along the lip of her mug.

"I haven't seen Mom and Dad in ten years," she whispered. With a sniff, she added, "Until...until just now, I haven't even thought of them..."

Tears welled up in her eyes. Pinkie and Twilight immediately moved to her side, wrapping their arms around her and hugging her tight.

* * * * *

Five days later, Sunset Shimmer stood, shivering, in the courtyard of Canterlot High School. A fine layer of snow dusted the ground, and the chill seeped through her coat, muffler, and gloves. "W-why are we h-here again?" she asked, teeth chattering.

Her friends stood with her, all similarly afflicted by the bitter cold that had settled in early in the day on New Year's Eve. "It's important," Pinkie said softly. "Just trust me."

The base of the ruined statue began to glow. Three people stepped out. In the center, wearing the same clothes she always wore upon emerging from the portal, was Princess Twilight Sparkle. The others were a man and a woman in their early forties. They stumbled as they exited the portal. Twilight held their hands and steadied them.

Sunset stared at them, eyes wide with shock and disbelief. They looked at each other, surprise and shock written on their faces as they each felt their own foreheads and noses. Then, they turned to face the girls gathered on the snowy lawn ahead of them.

They gasped.

Sunset took a shaky step forward, feeling her lip tremble.

"M-Mom? Dad...?"

PreviousChapters Next