• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 20,545 Views, 3,414 Comments

Just Girls Talking - MythrilMoth



Ponies and their human counterparts talk about various things.

  • ...
94
 3,414
 20,545

PreviousChapters Next
That Song Does Not Mean What You Think That Song Means

Author's Note:

Breaking my own personal rule regarding the EGverse for this chapter in order to address the subject at hand.

//Everything is awesome!!! Everything is cool when you're part of the team! Everything is awesome!!! When—//

"Hey Dad. Yeah. Yeah, I'm at AJ's. Yeah. Yeah, I'll be home late. Yeah. Okay. No, I...yeah. Okay. Later!"

As Rainbow Dash hung up, she noticed Sunset, Rarity, and Fluttershy staring at her stonily. She blinked. "What?"

Applejack groaned and covered her head with her hands.

"Seriously?" Sunset asked. "That's your ringtone?"

"Yeah, why?" Rainbow said in a challenging, defensive tone. "It's a cool song. It's got my favorite word! It's awesome, like me!" She started to sing. "Everything is awesome! Everything is—"

Fluttershy pressed a finger to her lips to stop her.

Rarity pinched the bridge of her nose. "Rainbow, darling," she said patiently, "do you even understand the purpose of that song?"

Rainbow pushed Fluttershy's finger away. "Yeah, of course," she said. "It's just a cool party song about how awesome everything is."

"Oy," Pinkie grunted, rolling her eyes.

Rarity grimaced. "Rainbow...the song is satirical."

Rainbow tilted her head. "Huh?"

"Think about th' movie it came from, sugarcube," Applejack said. "An' how it was th' anthem of th' company th' bad guy ran."

"Remember how that song was used to keep everyone happy and ignorant?" Sunset said.

Rainbow's brow furrowed. "Dude, I only saw the movie once, I only went because you guys went, and all I did was laugh at the funny parts and love all the exploding-stuff parts."

The others sighed.

"Okay, okay, look," Sunset said. "You remember that movie with the guy with the sunglasses who could see the aliens, right?"

Rainbow brightened. "Oh yeah! That was so awesome!" She pulled out her own sunglasses and put them on. "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

"Right, right, well," Sunset said, "the bad guy in this movie was kind of like those aliens, keeping everyone ignorant and asleep, and that song was like all those subliminal messages." At Rainbow's blank look, she clarified, "you know, how all the books and magazines and signs were just blank with one word when he had the sunglasses on, telling people to behave?"

"Oh yeah," Rainbow said slowly. "Wait. So how's the awesome song like that?"

Applejack sighed. "That song an' that show about th' guy lookin' fer his pants was how th' bad guy was keepin' everyone from noticin' him sayin' stuff like he was gonna end th' world."

Rainbow blinked. Comprehension slowly dawned. She looked down at her phone. "Oh."

"Besides, it's just...a really annoying song," Fluttershy said.

Rainbow stared at her. "Oh, you wanna talk about annoying songs?" she said hotly. "How about that week you wouldn't stop singing 'Let It Go'?"

"Yeah, Fluttershy, you really should've let it go," Pinkie quipped.

Fluttershy frowned. "That...that isn't the same," she said. "It's a beautiful, powerful song." She picked at her skirt. "Oh, I wish I could be as brave as Elsa and just...just express myself..."

"Whoa whoa whoa," Applejack said. "Is that whut you got outta that song?"

"Umm...yes? Because it was about not worrying about what other people think, and—"

Rarity held up a hand to interrupt her, a pained grimace on her face. "No," she said. "Just...no."

Rainbow groaned. "Jeez, Fluttershy, even I know what that song was really sayin'!"

Fluttershy blinked. "Huh?"

Sunset sighed. "Fluttershy...that song wasn't about free self-expression or being brave. It was about Elsa turning her back on the world and running away."

"Yeah," Pinkie said. "Didn't you pay attention to what she was doing? She wasn't happy, she was pissed! She basically said 'Screw you all, I'm outta here!' But in a really pretty song."

Fluttershy froze, her lips pursed. The others could practically see her mentally reviewing the lyrics. Her eyes widened. "Oh," she said quietly, shrinking into herself. "Oh."

Rarity patted her on the shoulder. "Don't worry, dear. You're hardly the only person who misunderstood that song." She looked at Rainbow. "Remember what Lyra and Bon Bon thought it was?"

Rainbow snickered. "Oh god," she said. "They thought it was a lesbian pride anthem."

"Ah guess there's all kinda songs people misunderstand," Applejack said.

"Tell me about it," Pinkie moaned. "I'll never forget Maud's thirteenth birthday. I was tired of the old birthday song and wanted to change things up, so I decided to sing 'Today'." At everyone's blank looks, she rolled her eyes. "You know! 'Today is the greatest day I've ever known', that one?"

"Oh, THAT one!" Rainbow said. "Yeah, I remember that one."

"Yeah," Pinkie said, deflating slightly. "I didn't know at the time that song was about suicide. Awk-waaaaaard!"

"Oooh! What about 'Every Breath You Take'?" Rarity said.

"Oh GOD that song is creepy," Sunset moaned. "Flash tried to serenade me with that song once."

The others, except for Fluttershy, cringed.

"I...I don't know that one," Fluttershy said. "Sorry."

"Seriously?" Rainbow asked. She scrolled through her phone for a minute, then passed it to Fluttershy. Fluttershy plugged her own earbuds into it and listened for a minute. Her eyes widened in recognition.

"Oh, THAT song!" she said. "I guess I've heard it before, it just...didn't stick in my mind." She listened for a moment longer. She blinked, her brow furrowing. "Wait. Is this..." She paled. "This is about stalking a girl, isn't it?"

"Yep!" the others chorused.

"Oh my goodness..."

"I guess there's all kinds of songs people don't get," Rainbow said thoughtfully as Fluttershy returned her phone. "Like...how every Prince song ever is about sex and some of them are really gross about it."

"Little Red Corvette," Rarity said with a distasteful grimace.

"Ugh, that one," Pinkie said. "The lyrics even talk about used condoms!"

"Gross!" Sunset said, shuddering.

//Everything is awesome!!! Everything is cool when you're part of the team! Everything is awesome!!! When—//

Rainbow answered her phone, listened for five seconds, then hung up. "Ugh, robocall." She noticed the others were staring at her. "What?"

"Seriously, Dashie. Change your ringtone."

Rainbow shrugged. "Nah. I mean, sure when you think about it, maybe it's not as cool anymore, but it still makes a good ringtone!"

Her friends facefaulted.

"Oh, like you all don't have weird ringtones," Rainbow said.

//Space Unicorn, soaring through the stars!//

Everyone slowly turned their heads to stare at Sunset Shimmer. She stared back, cheeks flushed. "What?"

PreviousChapters Next