• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 20,547 Views, 3,414 Comments

Just Girls Talking - MythrilMoth



Ponies and their human counterparts talk about various things.

  • ...
94
 3,414
 20,547

PreviousChapters Next
Just Girls Talking About Comic Books

Author's Note:

The following is not an author tract. The views expressed below do not reflect the opinions of the author. Please do not direct any offended, insulted fanboy rants at the author. You have been warned.

"You know," Twilight Sparkle said, looking up from her study tablet at her friends, specifically at Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, "there's one thing I just don't get about all those comic books."

The other girls looked around in interest. "You read comic books?" Rainbow asked incredulously.

"Not really, but I've glanced through some," Twilight said. "I've done a ton of research on them online to find out what makes them so fascinating, and my brother has huge boxes of them up in the attic. He's always been obsessed." She adjusted her glasses. "There's a lot of things wrong with comic books, especially the way they keep having to restart every story from the beginning every ten or twenty years because they write themselves into corners." She snorted disdainfully, then continued, "but what really bothers me is how redundant and unnecessary a lot of comic book characters are."

"Redundant?!" Rainbow cried defensively. "Whaddya mean?"

"Well, look at Supergirl," Twilight pointed out. "Supergirl is just Superman in a skirt. I mean, she doesn't add anything new, she's just there. And then you've got Power Girl, who's just Supergirl with a bigger chest!"

"Yeah, but—they've got stories!" Rainbow insisted.

"Yes, but when their stories get resolved, they're still just there, being copies of Superman. And what about War Machine?" Twilight demanded. "War Machine's just a second Iron Man with a different guy inside and more guns. Even if you count him as a sidekick, he's still just a second Iron Man with more guns! Redundant!"

"Ooh, that's a good point," Pinkie said. "Any time they're not doing an Iron Man versus War Machine thing, War Machine's pretty much useless."

"Not to mention all Iron Man's redundant suits," Twilight continued. "Some of them at least have specialized functions and equipment that make them make sense, like the Hulkbuster, but Iron Patriot? Why is that even a thing?"

"It...looks cool?" Rainbow offered uncertainly.

"What about all the different Spideys?" Sunset said, warming to the discussion. "I mean, you've got the original, then you've got the Scarlet Spider, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Spider-Woman, and I don't even know how many others. The only one that even makes sense is Venom, because Venom's, well...Venom."

"Y'know, she's right," Pinkie said. "There's way too many Spidey knockoffs running around."

"And what about Green Arrow?" Twilight put forth. "Green Arrow is just Batman with a different gimmick and a political agenda!"

"Eh, I'll give you that one," Rainbow said sourly, cheeks puffing up. "Green Arrow sucks anyway."

"It just seems to me like for every relatively unique character comic writers come up with—like, say, Cloak and Dagger, they're almost totally unique in their powers and dynamic—you get five watered-down copies of Superman or Black Lightning." Twilight shrugged. "Even in the cases where they created a new character similar to one they couldn't use for legal reasons, they could've put more originality into it and not made it just 'this character but with a different name'. It's even worse with all the Spider-Man copies running around because they have them all running around together at the same time sometimes, right?" She shook her head. "I just don't see the point. It's lazy."

"Eh, they do stuff with all the Spideys," Rainbow said somewhat petulantly. "Y'know, the Spider-Verse...stuff..."

"And it's usually exactly when they start doing those things that the writers have screwed up the continuity so badly they have to reboot the entire line," Twilight said. "But every time they reboot the line, they bring back all the redundant characters because the fans expect the redundant characters, even though only the comic historians and deep nerds even know why those characters are there in the first place!" Her eyes had taken on a slightly manic sheen; she took a few deep breaths, then continued, "So you end up with a few dozen characters who have almost the exact same powers as Superman, a whole host of clones of one really popular character, or five or six sidekicks who all have different backstories and stuff but they're still in the same costume, with the same name, and have the same skills and powers."

"But they're different characters and they do that stuff different ways," Sunset pointed out. "I'm assuming you mean the Robins, right?"

"Yeah. And I'll grant that, but it's still kind of dumb to just keep making new Robins all the time. I mean, why not retire Robin and bring in a new sidekick entirely?"

"Hey, while we're on the subject," Pinkie said slowly, "it's not just heroes and sidekicks. Villains too! I mean, if you look at Flash's enemies, any foe of the Flash who isn't a speedster is just a lame copy of someone else's enemy, right? Usually Batman's."

"Good point, Pinkie," Twilight said. "But really, it's more that there are so many heroes and villains whose powers either break down to 'really good martial artist who lifts and is super smart' or 'has super strength and super speed and is invincible and can fly'. I mean, there's a lot of room for improvement on those basic power sets, but look how often they just do the same thing over and over again? Like, Starfire for example."

"Hey, don't diss Starfire! Starfire's cool."

"Starfire's an alien who can fly, has super strength, and shoots energy blasts," Twilight pointed out. "Sound familiar?"

Rainbow clamped her mouth shut.

"Look, I'm not saying all these different characters are a bad thing," Twilight said. "I mean...actually, yes, I am, because it makes comic books too complicated to get into. But I just don't get why comic book writers and artists have to keep making different versions of the same basic character type over and over again, with the only difference being name, gender, and backstory! Because once you get into all these big crossover events and the things that collapse and restart the entire universe, you end up with an army of fifty heroes with the exact same powers fighting fifty villains with the exact same powers and what's even the point of that?"

A brief silence fell.

"I...guess you have a point," Rainbow said begrudgingly. "I mean, the way you put it just now, it sounds like my problem with fighting games. You know, where you've got thirty characters to pick from and twenty of 'em are Ryu?"

"Oh god Ah hate that," Applejack grumbled. "It is so obnoxious when it's like that."

"I still think you're missing the point of all those other characters," Rainbow added defiantly, "but...I guess...if you stop to think about it, there are way too many dudes and dudettes in comics that all do the same stuff."

"Absolutely," Deadpool agreed from where he was lounging on Rainbow Dash's bed, wearing fluffy slippers shaped like turtles. "Hey, you girls wanna go see my movie?"

The girls looked at each other and shrugged...all except for Pinkie Pie. "Sure," the girls minus the pink one said.

Pinkie frowned. "Hey, wait a—! How'd you even—?! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!"

"Calm DOWN, Pinkie Pie," Sunset said, rolling her eyes. "It's just Deadpool."

The girls all left the room, chatting eagerly, leaving Pinkie Pie standing in the middle of the room, spluttering. Deadpool walked past her; he paused, resting a hand on her shoulder in a comforting manner.

"Hey," he said placatingly. "If it helps? What you're feeling right now is how you make everybody else feel all the time." With that, he left the room, whistling aimlessly.

Pinkie Pie let out a frustrated little whine and sat down with a haughty sniff.

PreviousChapters Next