• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,839 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,839

PreviousChapters Next
Sky Pit of Vipers

"Aaugh!" Kera shrieked as she plummeted forward on slippery hooves. The entire prison cell was shaking as thunder rolled through the belly of the Lighting Bearer. Behind her, Zaid collapsed onto the floor while the lights overhead flickered in and out of being. "What in the crap was that?!"

"Beats me!" Zaid hissed as he pushed himself back up onto wobbling hooves. "Who the heck is flying this bucket of bolt?! Somebody should tell them to steer clear of roaming apocalypses!"

"That sounded like something hit us, though!" Kera squeaked. She suddenly gasped—pupils shrinking—as an intense wailing noise rang through the battleship, rattling from wall to wall.

Zaid blinked, his coat paling. "That certainly doesn't sound like any missile to me!"

"Rainbow Dash!" Kera helplessly yelled to the walls. "Rainbow Dash—"

The vessel rocked again. Kera flew back from the jolt. Zaid caught her, but it mattered little. Both fell to the floor as the lights flickered again, followed by the near-death of the force field in front of them.


Above deck, the situation was ten times as tense. Huge gaping holes had been blown into the hull of the ship. Enforcers ran left and right, telekinetically carrying buckets and canisters of flame retardant spray. The air below the oncoming assault was cluttered with shouts of paranoia.

Rainbow Dash witnessed it all from where she lay helplessly slumped against the deck of the ship. As her vision swam, she became aware of a change in pitch to the banshee screams high above.

"The... the shelling's stopped...!" Rainbow Dash sputtered.

Nightshade gazed up from where she cowered, trembling.

Zetta slumped to a stop, leaning against an empty cannister of fire extinguishing solution. "They're no longer bombarding us..." The mare's eyes traveled skyward and her jaw dropped. "Oh, blessed Spark... incoming!"

Everypony shot their gaze towards the heavens. Frightened eyes reflected an incoming wave of blue scales diving at the drifting, smoldering battleship from every angle. Giant airborne eels, manta rays, serpents, and hellbenders filled the sky, cascading around the beleaguered vessel with thick rippling muscles and razor-sharp fangs. The attackers twirled about in counter-clockwise formation, each beastly creature being ridden by a separate Xonan. Each equine warrior took turns pivoting in mid-flight and launching crossbolts at the ponies along the top deck.

Enforcers dropped by the dozen, either screaming from impaled limbs or gurgling for breath as they clutched at their wounded throats. Several others lined up across the top deck and returned fire. After a salvo of bursting manarifles, numerous Xonans fell off their mounts and fell bloodily to the valley below. Before the crew of the Lightning Bearer could afford a proper retaliation, though, the attacking formations split ways to allow a large serpent with gray scales to dive through. The elongated snout of the creature flew open with triple rows of shark teeth while simultaneously extending two razor sharp talons into the meaty surface of the ship.

From where Roarke clung to the ship's hull, she winced. Her exposed ears rang from hellish screams, and she craned her neck in time to see the gray serpent soaring past the ship's edge on streams of dark magic. The shredded ribbons of Ledomaritan victims dangled from its snout as the creature flew up into the air, climbed skyward, and swallowed its prey all the way down its throat before coming back for another approach. Atop its spined neck, a lone Xonan with thick blue armor perched, twisting and tugging at the reins. Without a word, the Searonese stowaway found a crack in the battered ship's armor and hid safely from sight.

Up above, Rainbow Dash was attempting to crawl across the top deck. She made her way towards Nigthshade, sweating profusely as she slithered past an increasingly thick curtain of fallen bodies. When the mare in question finally saw her, she glared at her forelimbs and hissed, "Toss it... toss the book..."

In response, Nightshade clutched the tome even tighter.

Rainbow frowned. "Friggin' let go of it! Throw it over the side!" She panted, panted, gulped, and stammered, "Look, the moment I get my strength back, I can kick a bunch of these freaks' butt, save Kera, and maybe even save you! Now will you just—Unngh!" Rainbow doubled over from an intense wave of dizziness. The air behind her billowed as several serpent-riders dove low, jumped clear off their mounts, and leapt onto the exposed surface of the top deck.

"Fas mul riel!" Xonan voices chanted amidst their vertical charge. Tattooed stallions and mares with glimmering bits of bone pale armor landed on metal hooves. "Hal mul saj rem! Rej dien, Ledomul!"

Several enforcers immediately ran up, firing mana rifles.

A few Xonans fell down, drowning in their own blood. The others twirled and spun with mesmerizing acrobatics. In mid lunge, the pale sheen of their armor slid off like white paint, materializing into eflugent tentacles with scales and claws. The offensive miasma converge, forming into four legged reptialian abominations that sprinted forward, trampling over several Ledomaritan defenders and biting the limbs off others along the flanks.

Soldiers ran up, their berets flying off as they screamed bloody murder and attacked the summoned creatures in droves. Their tasers slashed the glowing flesh to ribbons, but it was no victory. The creatures simply burst into white streams, with each ribbon materializing into a separate serpent that clung to the meaty flesh of the closest pony within sight.

In rapid succession, the Ledomaritans collapsed to the horrible onslaught of the attacking Xonans. More and more equines leapt down from their mounts, stomping across the deck as they sent their summons to do the dirty work.

Zetta crouched behind a crate not far from Rainbow Dash. She panted and panted as she fired a mana pistol at the approaching forces. She managed to put several bullts between the eyes of multiple, glowing creatures, but she ran out of ammo too soon. Three scaled monsters burst through a line of supply crates and hissed at her. Zetta fell to her haunches scooting backwards and flinching as the monsters dove--

"Hrrrnnngh!" Basso burst through the line, covered in scrapes and bruises. The huge stallion bucked the attacking creatures to pale dust. He stood before Zetta and spun around in time to meet the charge of three Xonan warriors. "Not nice!" Teeth gritting, the stallion slammed his hooves straight down, sending a shockwave through the top deck of the ship.

The Xonans fell back, grunting into their helmets at the unexpected show of force. High above, four more soldiers leapt off their diving mounts and pounced at Basso's figure. "Rem mul dien, Ledomul!"

Panting, Rainbow Dash flashed her eyes above. "Look out! Up top!"

Basso spun. He took a deep breath, fell back, took the brunt of the four stallions' dive, and kicked all of them clear off his body. The Xonans shrieked ineffectually as they flew several feet, pinballing off a mast and landing to the bloodied floor beyond.

Meanwhile, a slithering serpent glided in from the violent melee in the background and lunged at Basso's exposed neck. A wooden crate flew into its body, smashing it to an ashen pulp.

Basso turned around, watching as Zetta galloped up to his side, reduced to tossing several bits of wreckage at the attacking forces. "I'm all out of ammo! We're not going to last for long!"

"Where's the Prime Enforcer?!" Basso shouted, using his massive forelimb to block, then punch a reptilian creature in the face. "Where's Fortis?! Or Straker?!"

"I think it's just us now!" Zetta shouted. "We gotta abandon ship if we wanna stay alive!"

"With these nasty things flying about?!" Basso retorted. "How far do you think we'd even get?!"

Just as he said that, a heavy shadow glided overhead. The large gray serpent flew by with a shriek, then twirled as its heavily armored rider jumped off. The Xonan's blue figure glinted in the sunlight, twirled about, and landed with a heavy thudddd a dozen meters away. Basso and Zetta instantly locked eyes with the warrior.

Slowly, the stallion stood up, his armored figure steaming all over with dark magic. When he at last lifted his face, a pair of eyes strobed with menace. Before everypony's gaze, the stallion's blue armor floated off—plate by plate—reforming into a neatly arranged bastard sword hovering at his side. The weapon was easily twice the size of any full grown pony, and the Xonan's exposed tattoos glowed with ghostly brilliance as he trotted icily forward with the sword in tow. The warrior's nostrils flared, and a phantom voice echoed from his lips beneath a wildly billowing mane of silver hair.

"Resiul mennaren halukken thriul!" he hissed, pushing his trot into a thundering allop. "Hammen sarakul mal dien!"

A contingent of enforcers charged his flank, tasers sparkling madly.

"Hrrrrgh—Yaaaugh!" The warrior bellowed, swinging only once with the bastard sword.

Three enforcers turned into six, f lopping bloodily across the wooden deck.

Two soldiers fired pot shots from behind a stack of crates.

The Xonan blocked with his sword, spun, and slammed the heavy weapon straight down. "Raka dien, harra siul!" His blade sent a shockwave through the deck, splitting a deep chasm through the surface and knocking the ponies off their hooves and into a bed of flanking serpents.

Zetta panted, backtrotting. "B-Basso..."

"Rrrr-Raaaaaaaaugh!" The warrior came at full force, accompanied by hissing, transklucent lizards and half-snakes.

Basso backed up into a shattered mast. The thing teetered behind him. Thinking fast, he ducked low.

The stallion's blade flew deep into the vertical wooden structure.

With a splash of splinters, the tall object teetered. Basso stomped reptilian attackers to pulp as he spun around the far side of the pillar and through his muscular shoulder into it. "Hnnngh!" The mast fell forward, hinged on the warrior's huge sword.

Swiftly, in one breath, the warrior doubled back, spun around, and swung his blade into a lunging uppercut. He successfully split the mast down the middle so that its halves fell on either side of him. However, just as the wooden debris was settling—

Basso stomped forward, ending his charge with a swing of both hooves. "Haaaugh!"

The unsuspecting warrior took the blow to the face, falling back and sliding against a pile of shattered crates and bloody bodies. He slowly stood up, his glowing eyes thin and menacing.

Basso immediately gulped. "Oh jeez, I think I made a booboo..."

"Basso!" Zetta squeaked as she stood besides Rainbow Dash. "Let's get out of here! Come on!"

"You go on ahead!" Basso grinded his hooves, ignoring the sweat running down his muzzle as the Xonan slowly stood up. "I'll hold him off!"

"Basso, no!"

"Do it!" the stallion growled. "If I know I protected ponies who deserved to live, then that'll make this worth it!" He pointed towards the far deck. "Go!"

Zetta winced. In a flurry of limbs, she rushed over to Rainbow's side and swooped her up. "Madame! Madame Nightshade!" she exclaimed. "We gotta get out of here! Let's hurry!"

The Xonan was back on his hooves, angrily charging Basso. "Rrrrrgh-Yaaaugh!"

Panting, Nightshade scampered away with the other two, avoiding sprays of debris flying over their heads from the nearby fight.

Basso ducked every swing that he could, returning with savage bucks to the warrior's chest and flank. The two squared off—an even match in the middle of a sea of banshee-shrieking death. As Zetta and Rainbow Dash limped towards the far end of the Lightning Bearer, they swiftly realized how hopeless the situation was. The battle was coming to an end, with droves of surviving Ledomaritans squatting low on their knees while Xonan attackers towered over them, holding the equines hostage with rings of hissing serpents and other summoned beasts.

"Th-there's nowhere to go!" Zetta stammered.

Rainbow Dash gulped and said, "Toss us both over the side."

Zetta gave her a double-take. "Are you crazy?!"

"As soon as we put our distance between ourselves and that book Nightshade's got, I can fly us to safety!" Rainbow grunted.

"But what about Nightshade—?"

"Look, what about her?!" Rainbow growled. "I don't know you, girl, but you don't seem like a bad pony!" She glared at the mare carrying the lavender tome beside them. "Unlike some of us, I think you deserve a second chance! And so do my friends, cuz I'll be swinging back for them as soon as—"

Basso's bruised body fell through a stack of crates in front of them, sending wooden debris everywhere.

"Unnnngh..." The stallion went limp, his chest quivering in little spasms.

"Basso!" Zetta shrieked.

A loud shout filled the air, like a howling wolf's. Rainbow Dash looked behind them.

The warrior leaned against his battered blade, emptying the contents of his lungs in victory. When he lowered his gaze, he bore a sneer beneath his glowing eyes. "Havalun thriel dien, Ledomul." He licked his lips and flung a hoof straight forward. A silver strip of metal hanging from his neck pulsed. His tattoos strobed up through his forward body, culminating in a fountain of ghostly serpents leaping from his outstretched limb. The creatures flew their way directly at the surviving mares, biting and gnashing at the air with miniature dragonteeth.

"Oh, Spark!" Zetta shrieked. She fell straight to the floor, cowering—as did Nightshade.

Rainbow Dash didn't. In spite of her dizzied health, she stood resolutely before Zetta and the Madame. When the throng of serpents reached her body... they instantly dissolved. Rainbow Dash gasped, teetering backwards slightly as the floorboards in front of her were baptized with brittle ash and loose scales. The pendant around her neck glowed with ruby light.

The warrior's jaw fell. From a distance, several other Xonans gasped, watching in shock from where they held countless enforcers hostage.

"Mahjj lien thrul!"

"Kus hem laj trite!"

"Biin ruj thiul craj mett bliun..."

Rainbow Dash's eyes darted down to her pendant, watching as the ruby glow faded. Both elated and confused, she glanced back at the warrior.

Nostrils fuming, the warrior pivoted on his grip of the anchored sword and flung his other limb. "Haaaaugh!" A stream of pale energy materialized into three charging reptiles. They leapt as one at Rainbow Dash's figure.

The pegasus barely flinched this time. Before the monsters could make contact, they exploded against an invisible shield right in front of Rainbow Dash, dissolving to brittle bone dust in front of her. Once again, the pendant glowed, dimmed, and was calm.

"Basso..." Zetta stammered besides the stirring stallion. "Did... d-did you just see that...?"

"Nnngh... just five more minutes, Mommy..." Basso slumped back down with a delirious grin on his muzzle.

Meanwhile, the warrior spat against the floor. Frowning Rainbow Dash's way, he raised his hulking sword and began marching icily towards her.

Rainbow gulped, taking a dizzy step backwards.

Sneering, the Xonan warrior raised the massive blade high over his horn—

A manabolt flew into the hilt of his sword. He lost control of his telekinetic grip, and the flat end of the huge blade slammed into his backside. "Ooof!" He fell hard onto the floor, the glow completely leaving his face and exposing a pair of confused, blue eyes.

Rainbow Dash looked to the side. Madame Nightshade had just picked a manarifle up from a fallen soldier and was training the smoking barrel of the thing onto the warrior's prone figure.

"So brutish..." The mare grunted aside. "One day, we'll be done with this nonsense, but evidently that isn't today." As the warrior began to stir, she cocked the weapon and aimed it at his tattooed muzzle. "I wouldn't move if I were you, good sir. Now might be a good time to order your forces to fall back."

Rainbow's eyes glanced across the deck full of corpses, burning cannon holes, and surrendered enforcers. "Uhhhh... Really?" She squinted beyond the cloud of flying serpents as the three Xonan battleships drew near. "You really think that's gonna work?"

"I didn't see you coming up with a better plan," Nightshade grunted.

Rainbow gulped. "Good p-point..." Just then, a figure trotted up to their side.

Nightshade looked over, and she breathed with relief. "Lieutenant, good timing."

Straker shuffled up to the group. He stood over a dead body and picked up a rifle.

"We need to find Fortis and attempt negotiating a way out of this mess," Nightshade said. She once more squinted down her sight at the warrior. "I do believe I have their leader at a disadvantage. We might be able to use that as leverage so that we might—"

The hilt of Straker's manarifle flew violently across her shattered horn.

"Unngh!" Nightshade fell down in a meaty slump.

Rainbow winced while Zetta gasped behind her. "Lieutenant?!" the uniformed mare stammered.

Straker turned to glare at the enforcer. He turned over his shoulder and performed a sharp gesture. On cue, four Xonans marched up, dragging the battered body of Prime Enforcer Fortis. They dumped his body with a grunt onto the floor as more and more tattooed soldiers gathered around at the tail-end of the bloody battle.

Zetta stared, dumbfounded. Rainbow Dash watched silently while Nightshade stirred on the ground.

Slowly, the warrior trotted up. With each step he took, he dissolved the bastard sword, bit by bit. The plates floated back into place around his body, reforming dark blue armor brimming with dark magic. He towered above Fortis, fuming, then turned to gaze upon Straker with considerably more grace.

"Mazulen hrava tren sala thriul sen Ledomul, Dalen."

With a calm breath, Straker got on his knees and bowed low before the warrior. "Baj mek har dren vass kuun rahk, Zytharros Xon-Nagu'n. Mek Ledomul shren kar. Gress majj thriul, Xon-Nagu'n, Lasairfion."

The warrior nodded, then extended his hoof over Straker's horn. "Lasairfion samma lethielsen thiul sunna dien, Dalen." A pulse of energy formed between them. "Thiul Lasairfion, thiul Nagu'n, diennen 'Straker.'"

Translucent serpent figures rolled down from the warrior's limb, covering Straker's body from head to hoof. Then—poison drawn from a wound—Straker's entire coat color changed, peeling off his body to reveal a different colored fur beneath, segmented by glowing tattoos of elaborate design.

Zetta's ears drooped as she whimpered, "No flippin' way..."

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath, eyeing the strip of pale metal hanging from the stallion's neck as his uniform also dissolved. "Way."

Once the tranformation was complete, the Xona stood up and bowed his head once more towards the warrior. He pivoted about, marching icily towards Rainbow Dash and Nightshade.

"Straker... how...?!" Zetta stammered. "Why...?"

"My name is Evv Sater Dalen, sworn servant to Kim Janzen Zytharros." the stallion hissed, his eyes glowing as serpents floated on either side of him. "Second Born to the glory of Nagu'n and her royal avatar, Princess Buch Tania Lasairfion." He came to a stop, glaring down at the huddled Ledomaritan masses. "And your heretical campaign ends today, you bastard foals of a corrupt queen!"

PreviousChapters Next