• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,840 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,840

PreviousChapters Next
Life Is a Creek

“I believe it would be a far wiser thing to let me take point,” Nightshade said.

Kera frowned, marching ahead of the mare as the the two trotted south along the steep west bank of a rapidly flowing river. “There’s no point to prove. In fact, I’d like it better if you didn’t talk at all.”

“No, I said ‘take point,’ meaning to march in front of you.” Nightshade gestured towards the dense line of trees lingering ahead of them. “After all, I know where we are going, and it would be best that I be the first to bear the brunt of any dangers that may lay before us.”

“All we’ve dealt with so far have been a few snakes and a bunch of bugs,” Kera grumbled, trying not to trip on the brown fabrics of her cloak. “I really don’t think it makes a difference.”

“I simply do not want you to get hurt while I’m around to look after you--”

“Darn it!” Kera spun to seethe at the mare. “Stop pretending like you give a crap about me!” She trotted backwards with a sneering expression. “I know what your game is!”

“Do you now, child?”

“You want to snap my horn off and hook me up to a machine so that you can learn about an ancient ringworld that belonged to a bunch of dead pegasi!” Swiveling about, Kera faced south, trotting a little bit faster this time. “Well, it ain’t happening!”

“You’ve obviously have no grasp of the big picture at hoof, little girl,” Nightshade said. “I am far beyond the capacity of hooking anypony to anything.” Her nostrils flared as her haggard face gazed into the raging rapids below. “I’ve been branded an outlaw, had all my assets seized, and every ally west of the front alienated.”

“Then just where the heck are we headed, anyways?”

“I still have scattered facilities spread throughout the continent,” Nightshade said. “Hidden laboratories, supply caches, communication arrays…”

“And brain tubes, huh?” Kera gnashed at her teeth. “Bet you can’t wait to turn me into one of your drooling information slaves.”

“I have sequencing chambers hidden in key places as well. But they are of no use to me, now. Besides, unlike my supply stations, their locations have likely been compromised the very moment the Ledomaritan Enforces infiltrated my headquarters.”

“So, sucks to be you, lady.”

“I’m more resourceful than you think,” Nightshade replied. “My family would never have amassed fortunes in the first place if we didn’t have a set protocol for salvaging a worst case scenario. I was prepared to move all of my belongings and closest associates to a place of safety before the Council of Ledo caught up with me, but--alas--a living pegasus and her accomplices wrecked everything I had ever put into motion.” She sighed. “But all is not lost. I still have friends in the military. Even if they can’t save this continent, they can give me sanctuary until I can think up a new way to bring about a benevolent revolution.’

“You’re still on that garbage, huh?!” Kera scoffed, smirking over her shoulder. “Give it up, lady! You’re washed up! There ain’t nothing to fight for!”

“My brother is still alive,” Nightshade murmured, her face solid and eyes piercing. “Novus now lies in the hooves of heartless fascists, and at any moment his life could be made forfeit… if it hasn’t been already.” She bit her lip, but persisted in her gait. “I mustn’t give up hope. None of us should give up hope.” She gazed ahead. “Even you, child, could have a future. Once I get back on my hooves, I can even give you a solid livelihood--”

“Buck off!” Kera growled, glaring back at her. “Seriously! You’re no pony! You’re a creepy, creepy cow that lost her horns in a straight jacket accident! I don’t want no part of you!”

“And just who will provide you a better future? Hmm?” Nightshade tilted her head aside. “Dr. Bellesmith? Her disabled beloved? That audacious pegasus pathetically attached to them? They’re fugitives of the state, child. Everypony swearing allegiance to the Queen wants nothing less than to murder them and mount their heads on a zeppelin’s bow. This far out, their only escape route is through Xonan territory, and if you think those religious fanatics are any more merciful than the Queen’s Army, you are sorely mistaken.”

Kera bit her lip, gazing down at her hooves as they scuffed along the rough edge of the river bank.

“That is hardly a healthy lifestyle for anypony, much less a young filly who’s still growing up… and with such marvelous gifts to boot.” Nightshade’s voice carried over the rippling of cold water below. “You think I only meant to rob something from you. What worth is a horn? It’s the mind that’s worth being stimulated, so that the knowledge can free the spirit inside. So many ponies for so many decades have been focused on the exterior, on might, on the savage thrust of a sword, when we should be seeking to enrich what is inside. You could very easily have partaken in that enlightenment, but you choose to ally yourself with total vagabonds.”

“Enough…”

“As if the only ponies you can afford to love are those stuck to the lost streets of this world--”

“Will you shut it already?!” Kera turned back, trotting blindly forward. “I don’t want to hear another word until we get to that communication array! And once we get there, you’d better call me a ride to Grey Smoke.”

“Grey Smoke? What an interesting choice. Somepony you know there?”

“None of your business--” Kera slipped. “Aaaaie!”

“Look out, child!”

Kera fell down the steep bank. Her cloak billowed and her body spun head over hooves. She slammed against a mound of dirt, bounced off an exposed tree branch, and plunged deep into cold, cold water. The rapids surged all around her. She flailed her limbs wildly, trying to reach the surface of the rolling currents. She finally found dry air, bobbing upside down. Rolling over, she gasped and sputtered, struggling to keep her chin above water as the stream carried her violently forward.

Up above, Nightshade was shouting something. Through the filly’s peripheral vision, she thought she saw the streak of a pale body with a dark mane.

“I.. c-can’t… c-can’t…” Her muzzle was dragged under. Her body spun and rolled before bobbing up again. Her breaths came in panicked gasps, with the bone-chilling water threatening to spill down her throat and drag her at any second. The cloak weighed a ton by this time, with the tome-shaped bulge acting like a lead anchor. Kera found herself fidgeting between desperate dog-paddles and foolish attempts to keep the book from surging out of her grip.

The cold knifed into her skin, and soon her nostrils were surrendering to the splashing rapids. Bubbles and bubbles and more bubbles exploded around her. Kera sank into a deep darkness, her eyes rolling back as she surrendered to the submerged grave.


One beats. Two beats. Three beats. Four beats.

Warm air flew down Kera’s throat.

She thrashed like a fish. Her head arched up as her esophagus vomited up river water. Following that, the filly coughed, sputtered, and wheezed for breath. At last, delicious oxygen filled her lungs, and she curled up into a fetal position, quivering all over. “Mmmmmph… B-Belle… Belle…” Tears squeezed out of her eyes as she lifted her shivering head, squinting at an ultrabright grassy knoll on the edge of the winding stream. “Where… how…?”

Her gaze spun about, and she caught sight of Nightshade’s concerned face.

“You’re alive. Hmmm…” Nightshade tilted the filly’s chin up. “Resilient.”

The filly gasped and jerked away from her. Shivering, she realized she was naked, then flashed a look to her side. Her sopping wet cloak lay in a damp heap. She scurried over towards it, fell, and resumed her gallop. Sliding to a stop, she felt the bundled mess of fabrics.

“Well, at least we know you’re still healthy.” Nightshade stood up. “See what I said about allowing me to take point?”

Kera was too busy feeling the damp fabric. To her relief, the book-shaped lump was still there, hidden between the mass of Heraldite material. She collapsed on the grass with wheezing breaths, relishing in the touch of golden sunlight.

Nightshade sighed heavily. “Right. Well, while you recover, I’ll go search the nearby area for food. However, I insist that I lead the way from now on. It’s only the smartest choice, yes?”

Kera squinted at her, biting her lip. “Why…?”

“Hmmm?”

“Why’d you d-do it?” the filly repeated.

Nightshade actually looked hurt. “What kind of monster do you take me for?”

“...”

Shaking her head, Nightshade silently trotted away, leaving the filly to her own wet thoughts and shivers.

PreviousChapters Next