• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,835 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,835

PreviousChapters Next
Confronting the Dark Divine

Doors opened magically as Dalen trotted into a sanctuary full of murals, burning candles, and penitent ponies. “For eons, the Goddess Nagu’n has watched us from above the clouds. Only recently has she made herself visible before us. This, of course, was made possible by the glorious intercession of Princess Lasairfion, blessed by Nagu’n.”

“Yeah, I got a question,” Kera muttered, fidgeting alongside him in a silken gown. “Why am I wearing the dress?” She bucked one rear limb while fussing with her straight mane. “Guh! Darn it…”

“Shhhh…” Dalen adjusted the folds of his robes and knelt directly in front of a wall etched with carvings. The chiseled lines depicted a regal Xonan unicorn standing before the edge of a cliff, casting a spell as a ginormous serpent Goddess is summoned from the depths. “From the great abyss, Lasairfion heard Nagu’n’s song, and she reached out to him. In Her infinite grace, Nagu’n chose to spare Lasairfion’s head, and that is when she acted as the bridge of communication between mortals and the Serpent Eternal.”

“But… uh…” Kera fumbled to kneel down beside him. “Where does Rainbow Dash come into all of this?”


“The Xonans are the oldest civilized equines to live in this area,” Khao explained. With careful precision, she unclasped the fasteners anchoring the Pendant of Loyalty to the rigging right in front of Rainbow Dash. “They are so old that they share much of the same language as the Angels.”

She paused, turning to glare over her shoulder at Rainbow Dash’s bloodied face.

“However, like most heathens, they fail to understand the substance behind the ancient words. They believe that Austraeoh--the spark and the flame bringer--exists simply as a means of supporting their dragon goddess Nagu’n. You see, in their eyes, you are a false Harbinger. They’ll use you for their own wicked means. They already have.”

“Unlike you, huh?” Rainbow Dash seethed as another trickle of blood ran down her muzzle. “Nnngh… wh-what makes them so much more wicked than the Herald?”

Khao actually shuddered as she said, “Well, for one, we have never been prone to sacrifice.”

Rainbow’s ruby eyes blinked. “Sacri...f-fice…?”


“I was inspecting the prison bay,” Roarke said in a cold tone from beyond the bars. “Where they were keeping your fellow soldiers bound.” She gulped. “And I heard much screaming coming from a source of glowing light at the far end of the corridor. Now, I am not unaccustomed to atrocities done towards helpless ponies. I’ve come from a very merciless society, after all. But this…” She hesitated.

Basso and Zetta listened, breathless. Zaid fidgeted while Nightshade remained absolutely silent.

Roarke glanced up at them, her lenses glinting coldly. “This was different…”


”Blaak jeem rev sleen!” A Xonan shouted at the top of his lungs, aiming a scimitar forward that brimmed with hissing ghost-serpents. “Kaak suun maal brett, Ledomulian trentte!”

Several haggard Ledomaritan soldiers backtrotted from the various guards and their intimidating weaponry. They were forced into a tight cage lined with rusted black bars. When they were so thickly stuffed inside the compartment that they could barely move, the Xonans finally sealed it from the outside.

It was then that a large humming noise could be heard over the rattling length of the cage. The stallions sweated and panted in abject terror. Finally, one of them took a fateful glance upwards, and he let loose a shout. Several blue crystals were sparkling overhead, arching towards one another with electrically bright fingers. A grand shout rose through the group, but just as their paranoia hit a fever pitch--

Thunder. The crystals overloaded, and every stallion vanished with one swift scream.


“That, at least, would have been a mercy killing,” Roarke said. “But I suspected there was something more at hoof. After all, I had seen stranger things in my travels. So, I inspected the cavern beyond, and my assumptions were verified. The stallions weren’t being eliminated. They were being teleported. But, as for their destination…”

Roarke stopped in mid sentence. She stared at a blank spot in the floor of the prison. Slowly, her metal plates began to clatter.


The Ledomaritans landed across a metal slab. They grunted and hissed in pain as they struggled to stand upright. Only when they were on all fours did they realize how tall the metal walls were over three sides of the slab. The barricades were practically unscaleable. As they trotted around, several of them slipped. They looked down to see the surface of the slab coated in day-old blood and strings of vomit.

Hundreds of voices rose in a furious chatter as several of the ponies began hyperventilating. When they looked up, all they saw was pitch-black darkness, save for a pair of floating crystals that dimly lit the nightmarish platform upon which they stood.

It wasn’t until a full minute into the plight that a stallion or two dared to peer over the edge of the slab that wasn’t walled. When they gazed down into the abyss, they saw nothing at first, but then something bloomed from the darkness: scant sources of a dim silver glow. For a few seconds, they could make out white shards waving in the shadows.

That was when the slab started to move. The walled ends began rising and rising, tilting towards the unseen ceiling above.

The gravity of this situation thickened by the second. With each degree that the slab tilted, the stallions found it harder and harder to stand upright. Several of them cried in panic; the entire group scrambled towards the far end, struggling with their hooves, tails, and horns to grip onto something. Limbs slipped, throats shrieked, and bodies plunged into the darkness below.

As more and more stallions fell, a loud blood-curdling growl filled the cavern. A pair of slitted eyes opened from below, and that’s when the screams truly began.

“Aaaaugh!”

“What in Spark’s name is that?!”

“Climb! Climb!”

“I can’t! It’s too slippery!”

“Move, soldiers! Move!”

The air heated up like a furnace. Steam rose from the stallions’ twitching flesh as Nevlamas raised her burning snout. Bleeding crystalline dust, the ravenous Divine let out a furious roar before opening her twin jaws at the base of the tilting platform.

One by one, like scrambling mice, the stallions lost their grip and slid into her waiting mouths. Their screams only ended when their flesh did--burning to a crisp inside the crucible of her draconian throat. The feeding went on for far too hellishly long, with the last few brave Ledomaritans clinging to the very edge of the platform as they dangled above their end.

“Aaaaa-haaaugh!”

“Don’t let go! Don’t--”

“Blessed Spark, save us!”

“I don’t want to die! I don’t--”

“Yaaaa-aaaugh!”

The last of the sobbing stallions fell, their bodies curling into fetal positions as the bright white flame boiled their blood inside out.


“Lasairfion said that Negu’n had spoken to her in a dream,” Dalen murmured as the candles reflected off his distant eyes. “Our Goddess was no longer willing to wait idly by while we suffered at the hands of the Ledomulien oppressors. She had come to… absorb all suffering… and absorb all hate.”

He gulped dryly and glanced aside at Kera’s flabbergasted expression.

“That is the only way we’ve turned the tide in this war. She became a bastion of pain and vengeance, so that we may no longer suffer, but instead allow Her righteous fury to consume our enemies, in every sense of the act. She devours the Ledomaritan heathens and turns their filth into the power of the serpent.”


“Which is really just a lie that the tattooed bloodmongerers have subscribed to,” Khao said as she approached Rainbow Dash with the pendant. “The fact is, the Divine had corrupted herself long ago. She began an exhausting crusade against the powers of chaos, but gradually lost that war over time. Nevlamas is now an avatar of chaos, much like she is a goddess to these dogmatic fools.”

“Then Lasairfion is mistaken to have found what she thought was ‘Nagu’n,’” Rainbow Dash wheezed out loud. “She’s leading her own ponies astray.”

“Don’t be weak-minded, Harbinger,” Khao said with a cold glint to her eyes. “Look at this place that we’re in. Witness the monsters at the Xonans’ disposal.” Slowly, Khao shook her head. “No. Lasairfion is using Nevlamas to her own ends. How else would the monarch have risen to power when it was not her dynasty’s time to rule?”

Slowly, Khao reached forward and clasped the pendant of Loyalty around Rainbow’s neck.

Rainbow shuddered as her eyes flickered back to solid ruby. The shaggy coat hair along her limbs began shrinking into their roots.

“Nevlamas is no longer in control of herself,” Khao said. “She’s been fed too much.”


“The ponies…” Roarke sighed as she ran a hoof through her mane. The metal ringlets rattled, adding a cold punctuation to her tale. “They are the fuel to her spawnlings. All this time, the Ledomaritans have been battling their own kind--but in ghostly, nightmarish form.”


Lying at the bottom of a craggy cavern laced with steam vents, Nevlamas shuddered from snout to tail. As a dull moan emanated through her leprotic body, she allowed dozens of metal-suited Xonans to trot across her cracked scales.

The equines hissed through gas masks as they poked and prodded the Divine’s body with glowing white blades. At spots where the pale aura was the brightest, the Xonans congregated. They dug into the pliable flesh, parting it like shredded blubber as hard structures poked out with a burst of steam and silver blood.

One by one, giant white crystals protruded from Nevlamas’ flesh. Through the translucent surface, the battered and decaying forms of ponies could be seen. The Xonans crowded around these shards and zapped them with sparkling mana-sticks.

Suddenly, inside one of them, a partially-digested Ledomaritan’s eyes opened. He writhed and squirmed, his meaty stubs dissolving from underneath him. He tried to scream, but all that came out was red mist and scraps of entrails--all of which soon dissolved in a bright white fire that consumed him like melting ice.

Soon after, that shard--and all the ones alongside it--turned to a pure alabaster sheen. Only then did the masked Xonans pull the structures bloodily from the flesh of their Goddess.


Throughout the Sacred Hold, these large crystals were conveyed. Hundreds of Xonan grunts and laborers transferred them to a forge where they would be smelted into liquid form, then poured into framework that converted the essence into miniature strips.

Through hammer and chisel, the chaos metal was refined, then mutated into swords and necklaces and totems of various shapes.

At the far end of the elaborate industry, robed Xonans breathed into the finished strips, and glowing white serpents materialized around them, orbiting the priests as they cast a ghostly song into the air of the cavern.


“The Ledomaritans have been fighting an insurmountable war for the past few years,” Roarke explained. “And now, with fresh new legions at her disposal, the Xonans’ Goddess is going to stage a battle to end all battles with the Confederacy.”

Zetta clung to Basso. The other soldiers shivered as they heard Roarke’s words.

“Already, this mountain--the Sacred Hold--is heading towards Prime Enforcer Seclorum’s coordinates. I’ve caught word that Lasairfion herself intends to pilot the Lightning Bearer in order to pierce enemy lines and surprise the opposition. Between the captured battleship and an undead dragon incarnate, I doubt there’s a chance of Ledomare--or any civilization--surviving what happens next.”


“We will finally bring an end to this horrible conflict,” Dalen said, shutting his eyes in the candlelight. “And Nagu’n, with Lasairfion at Her side, will usher in an new Age of Xon.”

Kera blinked. She swallowed her throat dryly and leaned forward. “Then how come you don’t sound exactly thrilled about it all?”

Dalen’s eyes fluttered open. He glanced at her. “But of course I am.”

Kera shook her head. “Uh uh. I don’t believe it for a second. You’re bothered by something.”

Dalen said nothing.

Kera squinted. “Is it because something about how Nagu’n is doing all of this is really bugging you? Or Lasairfion for that matter?”

The stallion opened his mouth, but lingered. He glanced into the candles, sighing out his nostrils. “Things… do not make sense. Several of the Xonan Prophecies have been completely unfulfilled. If this is to be our Age of Retribution, then why isn’t Nagu’n speaking to each of us personally? Why must She rely on the blood of her enemies to spawn Her children? Where does Lasairfion come into play?”

“And Austraeoh?”

Dalen glanced nervously at Kera.

The filly smirked. “That’s what changed everything, huh? As soon as you saw the rainbow-colored mare with the swag around her neck, it turned your world upside down, didn’t it?”

Dalen swallowed and said, “The Oss Tray Oh is said to be a beacon from the past, and hope for the future. It… confuses me that Nagu’n would still be wanting to wage a war after having received her.”

“And you were the one to do it, huh?” Kera straightened her emerald bangs. “You and Zytharros, I mean? You both delivered Oss Tray Oh to your Goddess, and how do you get repaid? Lasairfion and this Archshod guy totally blew you off, dude!”

Dalen’s brow merely furrowed in thought.

Kera fought her shivers in time to say, “Don’t tell me that something isn’t fishy about all this! What is it that the Prophecies of Xon say should happen next?”

“The…” Dalen murmured towards the murals. “The flame.” He bit his lip. “Nagu’n must taste of the flame to ascertain true righteousness…”

“Well…” Kera grinned from ear to ear. “That can be arranged, don’tcha think?”


Two stubby antlers fell bloodily to the surface of the dais.

“Unnf!” Rainbow Dash collapsed onto her forelimbs. She winced as two wounds closed on her forehead.

Behind her, Khao fumbled to cut loose the last two bonds. The pegasus breathed easier and easier as the last vestiges of chaos left her body.

“Lasairfion is a traitor to her own kind,” Khao murmured. “And Nevlamas is beyond salvation. Yes, they might bring victory to the Xonan war effort, but at what cost? This land will be blanketed in suffering and chaos. You know this better than any other pony that exists, Harbinger. But you also have a journey to complete, one that I can still help you with.”

Khao trotted around to Rainbow Dash’s front and knelt low.

“But we cannot go without the book. You need the flame, Rainbow Dash. This world needs the flame. It needs the spark. Without it, all is good and dead--”

“Nnnngh!” Rainbow Dash suddenly pounced on Khao.

The mare was slammed into the ground. She writhed under Rainbow’s furious weight.

“Dead?!” Rainbow snarled, her muzzle caked with dry blood. “What do you know about what is good?! It’s all because of you that me and my friends are in this mess! You deceived me! Attacked me! And now you’re supposed to think that… that I’ll…” She grew faint, her eyes rolling back as she collapsed onto the ground beside Khao. “Unnngh…”

Khao calmly stood up, brushing herself off. “The book is still having an effect on you. The chaos within your body might be suppressed, Harbinger, but you are still weakened by powers you barely understand. I don’t expect you to appreciate the part I have to play in all of this. But, in all seriousness…” She knelt low, heaved, and lifted Rainbow Dash by the forelimb so that the two stood side by side. “What can you do to resist?”

Rainbow sneered out the side of her mouth. “I won’t even entertain the idea of trusting you. I can’t forgive you for what you did to Pilate… and to Kera!”

“I lost many brothers and sisters in the struggle to contain you and the flame, and yet I am willing to forgive you,” Khao said, glaring. She dragged the two of them along a pale bridge towards the edge of the cavern. “I was willing to sacrifice all that I hard to assume this identity and infiltrate this den of vipers. If we focus selfishly on our differences, we will allow something truly venomous to consume this world.”

“Nevlamas…” Rainbow Dash tiredly murmured as she limped alongside Khao. “She thinks she’s delivering righteous energy to the machine world.” She gulped. “She’ll only be injecting pure chaos into the foundation of this plane.”

“Indeed,” Khao said with a nod. “There are evil forces at work here that even the Herald has been powerless to stop. But--together--we can fight the Dark Divine and bring Harmony to this landscape. Lasairfion and all her lackeys will see their bloody dream collapse before them. But that matters little, for once we’ve stopped Nevlamas, it will be up to you to make sure that the same taint of chaos doesn’t curse the rest of this realm.”

“But…” Rainbow gulped. “How?”

“First thing’s first,” Khao said. “We need that book.”


Nightshade blinked. “The tome? But why?”

“Whoever has control of it determines the fate of Rainbow Dash,” Roarke said. “And if there’s anypony who can save this situation right now, it’s her.”

“Really?” Zaid squeaked. “Not you, rattleflanks?”

Roarke slowly shook her head. “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe otherwise.”

Zetta and Basso exchanged glances. They looked back. “Then what do we do next?”

“Something incredibly stupid.” Then, with one swift smack, Roarke knocked the lock loose and opened the prison cell. “We’re making our way to where the tome is held.”

“But…” Zaid was the first to slither out. He gawked at the mare with a pale expression. “I thought you said it was suicide!”

“Do you see me changing the story?”

The former cultist bit his lip.

Roarke glanced at Nightshade, then rushed over to collect Princess Luna’s saddlebag from the table of pilfered items. “There is more at stake here than the whole lot of us. Only now am I coming to understand the gravity of it all.” As Ledomaritans rushed to restock on their stolen weapons, the metal mare’s hoof grasped a hooflet inscribed with a hauntingly familiar symbol. “We are a motley crew, a frantic group of ponies. But we’re all that she’s got. We must not fail.”

“Right,” Zaid nodded as he skirted past the lengths of the room to stare out the door for passing guards. “So long as somepony is serving tacos at the victory party.”

Nightshade said nothing. She stood along the sidelines, gazing into the wall in thought.


“This is a mistake,” Dalen murmured into torchlight as he and a petite filly stood at a junction of cavernous hallways. His eyes were fixated on a door where two guards stood at attention. “Even if Nagu’n was to hear this lowly servant’s plea, I doubt I’d last long enough to bequeath her the flame.”

“Shhhh…” Kera leaned into him and smiled. “You don’t strike me as the sort of stallion to lose faith in tight situations.”

He squinted down at her. “You are a presumptuous little filly. It’s easy to be brave when you have nothing left to lose.”

“That sort of makes the both of us, doesn’t it?” Kera asked. “I mean… y’know?”

Dalen sighed, then gazed firmly at the door ahead. “I do.”

Kera bit her lip.

“Stay behind me, child,” Dalen said. “You may speak much wisdom, but only I know the words that will get us through this.”

“I’ll try not to suplex anypony unless I have to.”

“Agreed.”

PreviousChapters Next