• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,837 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,837

PreviousChapters Next
Kera on the Run

Kera snuck her way down the central crawlspace in the heart of the Ledomaritan battleship. As she passed crossbeam after crossbeam, the flimsy hint of light danced through the thin spaces between the wall panels and floorboards. She passed a room with steam machinery, and her tangled mane flounced from tufts of mist hissing through the fine grooves. After that, she found a thin vertical space leading towards a lower part of the vessel. Using the book, she illuminated the drop below, eying the total height and its copious collection of cobwebs.

“Nnnngh… There’s gotta be a way off this stupid flying goose,” she muttered to herself. A cold chill ran through her shoulders. She glanced back the way she came. “I am so not spending the rest of this voyage with Captain Conniption Fit.”

So, with a deep breath, she flexed her limbs and jumped down the space. Stifling the urge to shriek, she cast her horn down and channeled a burst of magic into the wooden floorboards before she could land. The energy acted as a cushion, and she landed with relative ease, her ears picking up dozens upon dozens of muffled voices.

Kera judged that she was in a hollow wallspace between two separate crew quarters. The wooden corridor led in the opposite direction from which she had crawled down the upper level. Kera figured that she had access to the greater length of the ship now, seeing as she was below deck level and she had started in the cabin near the stern.

So, with gentle hoofsteps, she crawled her way towards the far end, unfurling her cloak every now and then so that the runes of the book would give her a forecast of the dusty sojourn ahead. She had to keep her hoofsteps slow and steady, or else the aging wood might creak under her meager weight. As she proceeded, she heard the muffled voices of crew ponies in greater clarity.

”...the second week in a row. You think he would have given us some express instructions from the Council by this point. Say, you remember those days? When the Prime Enforcer would actually brief us?”

”He’s got more pressing concerns…”

”Like what? Babysitting?”

”Huh?”

”What business does the stallion have with a tiny Xonan filly?

”That was a filly?! I didn’t notice. I was too shocked that we hadn’t eliminated the target after all.”

”I know, right? I never knew so many ships piloted with skystone. That was the third one since we left Blue Nova. The source of propulsion is super rare material, isn’t it?”

”Heh, well it’s rarer now. That’s for damn sure.”

”Say what you want about the Prime Enforcer. He’s certain efficient.”

”I was gonna say ‘cold.’ When do you think he’s gonna level with us?”

”Beats me. I never signed up for a ‘secret mission.’ Sheesh… what I wouldn’t give to be allowed to send just one message to my beloved through sound stones.”

”I swear, everything’s changed since the Captain died. Evans is good and all, but I think he takes his position a little too seriously.”

”If you were the only stallion the Prime Enforcer talked to, you’d be super dead serious too.”

”Or just super dead.”

”Tell me about it. That foal doesn’t stand a chance.”

Kera gulped, finally crawling beyond earshot. As she proceeded down the corridor, she brushed past another muffled conversation to her right.

”...to do something. We’ll be running out of rations, and the morale is low.”

”Shhh! We agreed not to talk about this!”

”Look, I’m just being realistic!”

”You’ll be dead! You know who we’re dealing with!”

”No! No, I don’t! For Spark’s sake, he’s got everypony wound tight around his fetlock! And for what?!”

”My break is ending soon. I just want to make my bed, clean my gun, and get back to my post…”

”This is a wild goose chase! You know that, r-right?! The moron’s gonna take us straight into Xonan airspace and we’ll be blasted out of the heavens just like all those poor saps with the skystone!”

”Just what in Ledo’s name do you wish to do about it?!”

”He’s just one stallion. Just one. Think about it!”

”No. He’s just one stallion who has killed more mares, monsters, and airships than either of us will ever see in our lives. I’m not about to touch that, pal. You wanna prepare your own funeral, be my guest.”

”You see, it’s that sort of attitude that’s gonna be the end of all of us! I swear! Why don’t you agree with me?”

”Buddy, I’d rather be alive than sensible. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got…”

Kera exhaled once she was a good dozen paces away from the crew quarters. The shadows grew darker towards that end of the crawlspace, and she heard fewer and fewer voices. The air grew stuffier, and she sweated through to her cloak. Nervously, she approached the last few beams and leaned towards it, attempting to look through the seams.

She saw a supremely dark room. There was a dim, dim torch lit somewhere in the distance, as if in an adjacent hallway. It cast a slight sheen over the floor on the other side of the wall panels, illuminating a throng of randomly placed straws of hay. Kera took one inhale, and she nearly gagged at a horrible stench of mold and equine filth.

“Nnnngh! Jeez!” She waved a hoof before her muzzle. “Is this what I think it is?”

She shuddered, glancing back over her shoulder at the way which she came.

“Mmmf… buck it. I want out of this flying wooden casket.”

One panel at a time, she shuffled across the wall, pressing against each square inch with her forelimbs and shoulders. After ten minutes of scrutiny, she finally stumbled upon one panel in particular that creaked from her shoving limbs. Holding her breath, she shoved and shoved and finally kicked against it. The panel dislodged from its frame, opening slightly ajar. Holding her breath, Kera squeezed on through, dragging the length tails of her cloak along with her.

When she finally emerged into the room on the other side, she was surprised to find out that it wasn’t a lavatory. She stood up straight, blinking at her nearby surroundings. At last, as her eyes adjusted to the new layers of darkness, she noticed black bars erected before her.

It was a jail cell; she was in the brig.

Biting her lip, Kera trotted forward, feeling around until she found a hinge. Tracing the metal door up, she found a flat panel and shoved against it. A rattling sound echoed from the other side.

“The lock…” She squinted at the round, dangling shape. “Seems simple enough.” She licked her lips. “Guess these idiots forgot to design it for unicorns.” Her horn glowed, and with careful concentration she was able to fiddle the tumblers free from the inside out. With a victorious clicking sound, the lock feel free, thudding to the wooden floor. Kera pushed against the door, and the metal hinges squeaked hauntingly into the darkness.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped out into the main corridor of the brig. She turned to face the dim torchlight from the far end, only to discover shadows arriving from the adjacent hallway.

“Oh crap!” She stammered, trotting backwards as a panicked hyperventilation filled her petite body. “WhatdoIdo? WhatdoIdo?”

Before she could even answer herself, a grimy pair of hooves flew out of the darkness like spider legs and clamped over her mouth.

“Mmmmmf!” Kera gasped, her green eyes wide as she was dragged back into the dark corner of the cell.

PreviousChapters Next