• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,832 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,832

PreviousChapters Next
Flame and More Flame

Rainbow Dash dove low. The world was a howling mess around her, causing the stars to shake along the edges of her vision until they surrendered completely to shadow. Nevlamas descended upon the pegasus, her chaotically-charged breath heating the air up by twenty degrees in seconds.

Wincing, Rainbow threaded her way through the first ravine she saw. It was a narrow trench, winding north and south in a serpentine fashion. With every turn and bend, the tell-tale aquamarine glow of Nevlamas' menace flickered after her.

The walls opened up to a bizarre stone forest of jutting rock towers. Rainbow was too panicked to marvel at the formations; she jutted through them like a streaking comet. And Nevlamas—

"Hraaaaaauckkkkt!" The Divine exhaled a cloud of burning green vapors. Liquid fire oozed through the stone steeples and slender buttes. Like a horizontal veil of boiling plasma, the burning mess rolled after Rainbow.

She threaded her way through columns, whirled around quivering spires, and short forward down an open pass. The ends of her tail hairs curled as the flames caught up. The towers collapsed, raining boulders and chunks of rock down on her frantic flight. Just as the flames enveloped her, Rainbow darted a look to the right. She saw a boulder twice the size of her own body and she swiftly darted towards it. In mid-plummet, she pressed her body towards the north edge of the debris and clung to it. Flame erupted all around her, carrying with it the thunder of unbridled chaos.

Nevlamas stopped flapping her grotesque wings, slowing to a casual glide as she sneered with two grinning jaws at her roasted work. The entire valley smouldered with trailing bits of green ash and pale smoke. Seconds went by, and she saw no corpse. Her slitted eyes darted all about, and a rising growl emanated from her throat.

Unbeknowst to her, far below, a petite equine figure slithered out from the unscorched edge of a fallen boulder. Holding her breath, an unscathed Rainbow Dash darted straight up, ascending in time to fly level with Nevlamas' swinging tail. She burst into starlight, twirled about, and flew up the length of the gliding dragon. Rubbing a hoof across her pendant, she pivoted, aimed down, and fired a solid beam of harmonic energy all across the Divine's leprotic spine.

Nevlamas' scales split open in a straight line with postules of chaotic effluence, and several crystal chunks exploded into dust from her rear to her scalp. The dragon shrieked, and its body undulated like a bucking bronco. Rainbow dodged her bladed shoulders and wingjoints, but was a lot less successful when she tried threading through the Divine's thrashing antlers.

"Ooof!" Rainbow Dash grunted as her body toppeled through the ear, flinging westward towards the eastern face of the ravine. Several dark spots came into focus as she found her balance, hovering dizzily.

In the meantime, Nevlamas, wincing from her wounds, clung to the east wall of the massive canyon. She spun about, nostrils flaring, and fired a pure wall of flame at the pony.

Rainbow looked up. An aerial escape was blocked by a jutting, concave cliffface high above. She looked west. The dark spots along the eastern face of the trenched turned out to be—

"Awwww Luna Poop." She was already flying towards the holes in a desperate attempt to outsoar the fire. When she glided her way into one of the tunnels, she pressed a hoof to her pendant in an attempt to increase her Element's luminosity. She soon discovered she didn't need to; Nevlamas' flame lit up the interior with aquamarine light. Without wasting a millisecond, Rainbow darted forward, bobbing and weaving as she zoomed down junction after junction, blindly navigating the complex web of labyrinthine corridors.

The flames did not let up. They fountained closer and closer to Rainbow's tail, consuming the oxygen that grew staler and staler with each passing second.

"Come on..." Rainbow sweated; Rainbow panted. "Come on! Where's an exit? Where's an—?" She gasped.

A dead end.

As her vision twitched, so did her muzzle, and she sensed a tiny jet of cool air wafting towards her face. Gritting her teeth, Rainbow curled her legs inward and spiraled towards the craggy wall ahead of her like a missile.

"Nnnnnngh!"

She struck solid dirt right as the flames enveloped her.

PreviousChapters Next