• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,840 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,840

PreviousChapters Next
Of Blessings and Warnings

“Well, we’ll be stocking up in Gray Smoke, then heading southeast through a place called Azure Pass,” Rainbow Dash said, her voice rolling through the night air. “According to Josho, it’s south of one of the largest military fronts in the war.”

”How doth thou intend to deal with the nefarious Xonans? Surely there wilt be many of their patrols in the area.”

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and answered Luna’s glowing aura. “That’s where we hope the speed of the Noble Jury will go into full effect. Since we’ll be fully restocked at Gray Smoke, we won’t have any need of parking Floydien’s ship anywhere. We can just cruise on through Xonan territory and not look back.”

”Sounds incredibly dangerous,” Luna’s voice said. ”Not to mention questionably foolish.”

Rainbow Dash smirked as she lazily hung off the edge of the top deck’s railing. “Well, you know what they say about really stupid plans…”

Luna’s voice took on a wavering tone, like it was rising and falling from a watery surface. ”Rainbow Dash, we fear that our communication cannot persist for much longer. Both the night and the full moon wavereth.”

“Yeah…” Rainbow’s nostrils flared as her face stretched sadly. “I kind of figured…”

”It will be another long month before we can once again speak with thee.”

“We’re gonna be okay, Your Majesty,” Rainbow Dash said. “Don’t you w-worry…”

Silence.

Rainbow Dash’s muzzle scrunched up. “Luna…?”

”Doth something troubleth thee, our little pony?”

Rainbow Dash winced. “I… uhm…” her voice cracked. “Actually, I was curious about something…”

”Please, do elaborate while thou still hath time.”

“Twilight Sparkle really admired you, y’know? I mean, she may have been super duper close to Celestia, but she always had a great deal of respect for the Princess of the Night.”

”We certainly had no doubt of that. Regardless, hearing it from thy words is a solacing thing.”

“Heh, yeah, well…” Rainbow Dash looked down at her dangling hooves and the mountains looming below the drifting zeppelin. “She used to tell me stuff about you and the job you had over the heavens at night…”

”Indeed…”

“And… uh… she talked about something you did. An old, stuffy ritual called the ‘Cosmic Prayer.’”

”Nothing stuffy about it, Rainbow Dash. The Cosmic Prayer is nothing less than our nightly blessing given unto the mortal equines who sleep under our benevolent rule, imploring the stars that their destinies meet fortuitous ends.”

“So, like… you say this prayer every night?”

”Indeed, and we repeat it every morning, when our labors traditionally ended. As you can imagine, in this day and age, the prayers hath quadrupled while we engage the rising and setting sun.”

“Yeah. I… uh… I-I guess that makes sense,” Rainbow Dash said. She sniffled and murmured, “Do you… ever give your blessings to specific ponies in particular? Like… knowing that they may be out there somewhere, under your moon or your sun, really needing some help?”

”Doth thou have a pony that thou wishest us to entreat the stars for, Rainbow Dash?”

“Mmmm… yeah…” Rainbow’s eyes quivered, and a lone tear rolled down her cheek. “Her n-name is Imre…”

”’Imre,’ a very noble name.”

“For a very n-noble pony,” Rainbow Dash shuddered as she wiped her cheek dry. “She’d be right at home on board this vessel, but she isn’t.” She swallowed a lump down her throat and gazed dully into the stars. “Somewhere, she’s out there all alone, and it’s my fault. If I can’t do anything awesome for her… th-then perhaps you can…”

”She wilt be with us in our prayers, Rainbow Dash. The stars shall echo with her name. This, we promise thee.”

Rainbow’s face produced a fragile smile. “That’s really t-terrific, Your Highness. You rock…”

”So we hath been told.” The alicorn’s voice faded in and out. ”We likewise hath a request to impart upon thee, Rainbow Dash, while there is still time.”

“Shoot.”

”We do not wish to spark panic or concern…”

At that, Rainbow’s ears perked. She sat up straight on the ship’s edge. “Uh… okay…”

”You sayeth that thou wilt be parting ways with two ponies soon, yes?”

“R-right…” Rainbow Dash nodded. “Once we get to Gray Smoke.”

”The stallion who calleth himself Ebon Mane…”

“Yeah…?”

Luna’s voice flickered in and out of solidity. ”We trust that he is a benevolent pony, but there is something about him that concerneth us. The essence of his soul doth not translate through the spell as doth the souls of thy other companions.”

Rainbow Dash squinted. “What… d-do you mean by that?”

”We cannot rightly tell, for the explanation is beyond us. All we know is this: the stallion called Ebon Mane is hiding something, and it vexeth him greatly. It may prove to be nothing, but if thy companionship with those ponies is built on trust, then it may be a wise thing to keep a close eye on him while he remaineth in thy party. Whatever the secret is, we feareth it may be as much a concern for thee as it is for himself.”

Rainbow Dash nodded limply. “Right… uh… I’ll be sure to watch over him.”

”Do not be rash, Rainbow. Honesty is still a relevant element of Harmony in this world. If it wouldst console thee, simply confront the stallion and…” The voice cut out.

Rainbow’s pendant stopped glowing.

She looked down at the ruby lightning bolt, touching it with a limp hoof. A cold shudder left her lungs as she gazed at the wooden deck of the ship under darkness.

PreviousChapters Next