• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,837 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,837

PreviousChapters Next
Princess Buch Tania Lasairfion

Rainbow Dash and her fellow prisoners trotted down a long narrow corridor of the Xonans’ Sacred Hold. As they did so, the walls around them danced with lavender light. Rainbow grunted, limping slightly as she tried to keep her balance from the proximity of the tome. Kera leaned in, attempting to steady the pegasus as much as she could manage.

In mid-trot, Nightshade turned around, looking behind her.

A few spaces away from the other guards, Dalen marched in a sluggish trot, his muzzle hanging beneath the levitating image of the runic book.

Nightshade blinked. Boldly, she spoke. “Once you become Third Born, I imagine there’s no going back.”

The stallion’s face tilted up.

“Unless I’m mistaken, that Arcshod fellow is being less than gracious with you,” Nightshade continued. “It must be insulting, considering all you’ve been through and sacrificed.”

“Hmmmph…” Dalen breathed tightly out the side of his muzzle. He glared ahead of her. “Keep moving, Ledomulian trennte, or I’ll slice your tongue out through your nostrils.”

“Hmmm…” Nightshade calmly stared ahead. “That confirms it then.”

Zaid caught the whole exchange through the corner of his eyes. He whistled and glanced ahead, sniffling. His brow furrowed. “Is it just me, or is starting to smell like a honeymoon suite in this place.”

“Hey, I notice it too,” Basso stated. “It’s not dank and foul like the rest of this… er… this place.”

“Let’s not talk about that, Basso,” Zetta muttered. “In fact, let’s not talk--period.”

“Zetta…?”

The mare gulped, shuddering slightly in mid-stride. “There’s something amiss about this place.”

“You mean besides the fact that it’s a huge floating mountain?” Zaid remarked.

“I… I feel something,” Zetta muttered, her ears twitching. “It’s like a vibration. When I concentrate hard, I can hear a song.”

“Song?” Basso cocked his bulky head to the side. “What kind of a song?”

Zetta shivered slightly. “The song.”

Basso’s face tightened in thought. Soon, though, his breath left him, for the hallway before them had opened up to a large, ampithreatrical chamber. The ceiling curved outward in all directions like the interior of a clamshell, and the rock walls were glazed over with immaculate crystalline surfaces. The dozen and a half unwitting prisoners found themselves staring at a fragmented series of reflections depicting themselves surrounded by scores of guards. The Xonans here wore dark blue armored plates with serpent motifs etched along the surface. Their tattoos were far more rigid and geometrical in design, and their horns had been painted over with a sea-blue color. They stood in a solid line with shields and polearms levitating before them. Upon seeing Dalen, the guards saluted and pivoted inward at about forty-five degrees.

A series of chimes rang from the distance. Masked in rising incense and torchlight, a Xonan mare trotted up, her body clad in swishing lengths of silken robes.

“That…” Kera murmured, leaning forward with squinting green eyes. “Is that the princess?”

“Nah, I don’t think so,” Rainbow Dash’s voice cracked. “She’s not froo-frooey enough.”

The mare tilted her hood back slightly, gazing fixedly at the small crowd of captured equines. Metal ringlets bordered the edge of her hood, and a pair of hollow silver eyes twitched under torchlight as she examined the visiting company. After a long pause, she turned towards Dalen.

“Oss tray ohh?”

Dalen shuffled up, staring at the mare. After a few seconds, he swung the tome close by Rainbow’s head.

“Unnngh!” Rainbow Dash immediately collapsed, shivering from head to hooves. “Mmmmffngh…” She snarled. “Son of a box cutter…”

“Rainbow, you okay?”

“Yeah…” Rainbow struggled to stand up with Kera’s help. “I’m holding onto hope that I get to barf on royalty.”

Meanwhile, the mare was exhaling in wonder. “Nagu’n…” She glanced at Dalen, then back at Rainbow Dash. After a deep breath, she spoke in a relatively thick accent, “It is interpreter,” she motioned to herself. “It knows both tongues of heathen and holies, and has sacrificed layer of birth to dance between the verses many.”

“Yeah, well, don’t quit your day job,” Rainbow muttered under her breath.

“It should spare its breath,” the mare said with a scathing frown. “Not my mercy it seeks. Oss Tray Ohh truly or untruly, the Princess it seeks to impress, not it.” She slapped her hooves together.

More chimes lit the air, and the guards parted ways further. Rainbow Dash and the others could now see many royal maidens waiting in the wings, each seated patiently with black spheres clasped in their robed hooves.

“It will interpret for the Princess, but must not look at it,” the mare in the center spoke. “Keep eyes locked with sight blessed by Nagu’n. The Daughter of Tania is the Chief First Born of Xon, and her eyes are holy, for it has brought us glory from the Goddess Eternal. Disrespect Nagu’n’s chosen, and face Goddess wrath.”

“Sounds like a party,” Rainbow Dash again muttered, this time wincing. “Ow ow ow…”

“I don’t think Nagu’n likes that,” Zaid said in a whispery tone.

“Yeah, well, Nagu’n can find a squishy part of me and hide his face there.”

“Yeesh, I can’t think of a better mare I’d gladly die with, dude.”

“Well, there’s one thing you can scratch off your bucket list.”

In the meantime, the interpreter had turned around. She trotted over to a large cluster of crystals built into the far end of the round room. Leaning forward, she braced her muzzle between two large spokes of reflective rock. The enchanted stone glowed around her, and she went into a trance--her lips moving slowly.

Soon enough, the glow spread. The entire cluster of crystalline fragments glittered brightly. The interpreter stepped back, and as she did so the mass of structures peeled away one sliver at a time. In a matter of seconds, the crystals had spread apart and reformed into a throne behind a single slap of rock. A depression in the ground lay before the slab, and a mare with an almond brown coat lay on folded legs. Her eyes flashed, then opened--shimmering with blue bands of light.

Slowly, the mare stood up, her body glinting with a silken polish. It was only when she stood up that Rainbow Dash noticed a fountain of black fibers issuing outward from her skull. The princess’ mane was epically long, stretching out like an onyx comet tail all across the full length of the stone slab. As she stood up, her horn glowed with a patterned strobe.

In response, the many maidens sitting in a half-circle stood up and released the black spheres in their grasps. The objects floated up under their telekinetic administration and floated towards the table.

As the regal mare trotted forward from the bed, her muzzle hung in a placid smile, and the spheres levitated at the far corners of her fanning mane. The black fibers looped through tiny holes, and then the spheres rotated towards her skull, bunching the hair up into multiple black clusters until she bore an intimidating headdress--like a dark halo about her flawless head and glowing horn.

The guards closed in on either side of the “visitors,” boxing them in so that none could so much as trot a single inch towards the Princess, though she approached them fearlessly and with utmost grace.

“M’beraathiule’n tre’entum, suluthen’driel less’luu them’niel mes’yntheen Buch Tania Lasairfion Xon-Nagu’n.” When she spoke, it was as if a dozen mare’s voices were all singing at once in the base of her throat. “Rekk’msim hala’theen lessu’drell.”

With scratching hooves, the interpreter pivoted about and said, “It welcomes it, the ponies most lost, to the holy haven of Princess Buch Tania Lasairfion, blessed by Nagu’n. It has arrived at the end of all evil and suffering.”

Nightshade’s brow furrowed.

Rainbow Dash simply stood there, glaring.

“Whew boy…” Zaid belched. “That is a crapton of hair.”

PreviousChapters Next