• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,837 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,837

PreviousChapters Next
Illuminating the Dark Divine

A cold wind blew through the darkness, cycling in and out with tornadic gasps. Somewhere, the Sacred Realm shook and shuddered, but it could not be felt here. Dalen shuffled forward across the platform, one uneasy hoof after another. His eyes darted left and right, his peripheral vision illuminated by the pulsing glow of the lavender book, but nothing else.

Behind him, Kera faltered, struggling to maintain courage against the desolation of the Sacred Hold’s inner core. If it weren’t for the book or Dalen’s glowing horn, even the floor beneath her would be utterly blanketed in darkness. Her attention was swiftly stolen by a positively icy breath of frost that rolled over the platform. She glanced aside, shivering, only to realize that she was trotting blindly forward. Her muzzle bumped into Dalen’s tail and she skipped back, shivering.

Dalen glanced back at her, then calmly forward once again. The glow of the book revealed the very precipice of the platform in front of him. Nevertheless, he stood his place, clearing his throat and speaking bravely into the murky depths. “Haalaa suniul mejun rehm kastakraas siul threm, Nagu’n.” He bowed low, making sure to levitate the book beside him. “Trennu drendais rallana hranhem besuul missoner thriel.”

Silence. Something shifted in the darkness and was still yet again. Kera glanced around with nervous green eyes.

Dalen took a deep breath and continued. “Kraastuniul messa kren, Nagu’n.” He raised the book high over his glowing horn. “Jaas tru vanna greit lehm beeso druun! Trennte diul Oss Tray Oh threnna blehm hreesto thraist deigh!”

Aquamarine flames erupted out of nowhere, briefly illuminating fractured walls brimming with dangling white crystals. Then, with a searing breath of swirling vapors, a double-mouthed monstrosity rose out of the depths and loomed hundreds of feet above the two equines. There was no sight of where its body began or ended. Leprotic scales covered in chaos shards glistened in lavender light as the hideous abomination glared down at the puny pair.

“Guh-guh-guh-guhhh!” Kera hid behind Dalen’s body, shivering. Dalen held his ground, though his pupils shrank as a sincere breath limped out of him.

“Nagu’n…”

The Divine narrowed its pale, blind eyes. Nostrils flared, caught the scent of the Xonan, and forced its leering jaws to lower closer.

With a firm breath, Dalen tightened his hooves against the ground and spoke, “Nagu’n! Porjanna lestuun blehm kranna!” He opened the book so that its runes flickered before her in full bloom. “Trenntanna Oss Tray Oh rehkarrna thirul--”

”Ssssssssilence your sheepish brayingggggggg,” the monster hissed, causing the air around them to heat up and cool down within seconds of one another. ”You putridddddd piece of insectoiddddd filth. I care nottttt for the flame of Austraeoh…”

Dalen gasped, his eyes twitching. “Nagu’n! Thresuul vien…” He grimaced and twisted his mouth. “You ignore the sacred tongue. Should have I spoken as First Born to please you--?”

”All tongues are uselessss against the righteoussssss sound of my song.” A pair of claws lifted up, gripping the platform beneath the two ponies as the mutated dragon leaned forward. The chaos shards shimmered along the edges of its antler branches. ”Like the bookkkkkk, it illuminatesssss nothing. You ssssssniveling wretches are like the rest of ponydom. Your harmony is a falsssssse beacon! But I ssssssssssswear it on my Sisters’s asssssshes!” Her twin jaws opened wider as the volume of her shouts increased. ”The ring shall no longerrrrrrr float in darknesssss! Today, my brood bringssssss the true flame to the womb of the world! All will know peace in what’sssss to come after the blight of chaos has had itssssss way!”

Dalen’s eyes quivered. A tear ran down his tattooed cheek. “Then… then this horrible mission of death…” He clenched his teeth and squeaked, “It all falls within your divine will?”

”Divinnnnnne?” The creature reared back, thrashing its head of antlers across the darkness. The aura of chaos spread, causing the dimly-lit walls to buckle and fracture even more. Sacred Hold shook all along the outer core, with the monster piercing at the eggshell surfaces with her thundering voice. ”I wassssssssss born Divine! And I sssssssssshall die Divine!” She raked at the bottom of the platform with two mangy sets of claws. ”And with the help of my brood, this world will ddddddie divinely with meeeeeeeee!

“But this was the prophecy!” Dalen shouted with an angry muzzle, waving the book higher. “The flame of the Oss Tray Oh was to assist the Goddess Nagu’n with her labors--”

“Uhm, Dalen, buddy?” Kera stammered as she glanced down at a growing river of cracks forming in the platform beneath them. “I don’t think she’s your super mega death snake anymore.” She gulped. “I think she’s just a regular super mega death snake.”

“How could you have taken the rightful seat of Nagu’n, whoever you are--?!” Dalen stopped cold in his breaths. His tears instantly dried up as he gazed with shock into the abyss. “Lasairfion…”

”Therrrrrrrre is only one harbingerrrrrr of righteousness. Hckkkkktt!” Nagu’n leaned forward with a vicious snarl. ”And ssssssshe ushers in the end! The end and the beginning are one!

“Dalen!” Kera’s voice cracked, high pitch.

“Nnngh!” Dalen held the book out.

Flash!

The Divine’s jaws stopped just meters from the two ponies.

Both looked up, quivering.

”Hcrkkkkkt!” Venting mists of chaos, the diseased dragon lunged again.

Fl-Flash! Again, her bite stopped just a few feet away. This time, Dalen and Kera saw a curved aura of lavender light shielding the savage attacks.

Dalen blinked while Kera murmured, “Dalen… the book…”

“Oss Tray Oh’s flame…”

A loud crack went off beneath them. Both ponies looked to see the platform splitting in two.

”Sncraakkkkkkt!” Nevlamas shrieked as she gripped the platform with two arms stretched far beneath the book’s aura. She dug her claws in and pulled with all her might. ”Hrckkkkk-Graaaaaaukkktt!”

“Run, child!” Dalen flung Kera behind him as he trotted backwards, holding the book like a buckler against the glowing blue flames of Nevlamas. “The Sacred Hold is defiled! We must get away from here!”

“Don’t just stand there!” Kera scampered sideways, stumbling towards the brightly lit doorway. “Come on!”

“I’m right behind you!” Dalen turned and snarled at the hissing serpent. “You are a poison! A false prophet!” The hairs on the back of his neck as he snarled, “Haak salajuut thrennum diul Nagu’n, restraana bliul Xon! Rekharna drenna dun! Drenna dun!”

Graaaaukkkt!” Nevlamas pulled at the stone platform beneath them.

The ground gave way.

Kera shrieked and flew off the edge--

Dalen caught her, galloping into the doorway with the book in tow. He had to leap as the platform crumbled one shard at a time, falling into impenetrable darkness. And just as they leapt through the buckling frame--

Nevlamas breathed fire onto them. Everything collapsed, drowning out the light… and the two ponies’s screams.

PreviousChapters Next