• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,831 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,831

PreviousChapters Next
Let the Ballast Rise

“Escort the child to the spare officer’s quarters,” Prime Enforcer Fortis said to Basso and Zetta. They saluted as he added, “Make sure she has plenty of food and water. The child has been through a lot. It’s fitting that she get some rest.”

“Aye, Prime Enforcer Fortis, sir,” uttered Zetta.

“Only enemies of the state deserve the brig,” Fortis said as he swiveled about and paced towards the bow of the ship alongside Nightshade. “Keep a close eye on her at all times, you two. I’m not about to have a mistreated foal appear on my record.”

“Yes, sir.” Basso ushered Kera aside.

At first, the filly didn’t budge. She glared daggers in Nightshade’s direction.

The mare stood stock still, though the very corner of her eyes reflected the young pony’s frowning face. At last, with a sigh, Kera answered to Zetta’s and Basso’s urging, and she shuffled lethargically towards the nearest stairwell leading below deck.

“You could use some rest too, Madame Nightshade.” Fortis smirked slightly as he escorted her across the busy deck of the Lightning Bearer. “I hope you do not take offense, but I have seen soldiers on the battlefield who were less unkempt than you at the moment.”

“I like to think I keep my formalities in spirit, even if not in body, Prime Enforcer,” Nightshade muttered as she fumbled with a messy strand of mane hair. “So long as we reach Seclorum--with the book--then there’s still merit to my sacrifice.”

“I am truly, truly sorry for what transpired in Blue Nova.” Fortis frowned. “That wildcard, Shell--he’s virtually uncontrollable. If you would know any clue as to his whereabouts--”

“He’s still on an obsessive trip to capture a winged pony that the Council may or may not have once wanted,” Nightshade droned. “He’s resorted to attacking any ship possessing skystone, for he believes his elusive target has taken to the skies in such a vessel.”

“I am certain there will be a way to exonerate your good name,” Fortis said. “Granted, that will be in the hooves of the Council. Still, once our business with Seclorum is settled, I will easily assist you in any way that my influence can muster.”

“Right now, I’m more concerned about the foal whom your crew has taken in.” Nightshade trotted quietly for a few seconds, then lifted the glowing tome in her grasp. “Oh, and the book, of course.”

“It’s far more incredible than I had imagined,” Fortis remarked. “I never figured that I would actually feast my eyes on it. It’s practically otherworldly.”

We are the ones who are otherworldly, Prime Enforcer,” Nightshade remarked. “This tome belongs to an era before our time. There are many ponies who hide among our numbers, thinking incorrectly that they know the truth that this book contains. However, they are too severely constricted by their own superstitions to harness its actual power.”

“And that is what you’ve done all this time?” Fortis asked. “Harnessed the energy from within?”

“A most remarkable endeavor,” Nightshade remarked. “It is like communicating with beings too powerful and too far gone to have shaken hooves with personally. And yet, they have managed to bequeath us such knowledge. I almost imagine it was simple fate that allowed somepony with the scientific expertise such as myself to grasp this. I owe a great deal to Kera, the child in my company, of course.”

“I must ask…” Fortis squinted at her. “Was she an orphan of war? Only once before now have I seen Xonan children with my own eyes.” He took a deep breath. “They were not nearly as full of life as her.”

“She is most definitely a lucky foal,” Nightshade said. “Even if she refuses to believe it.” A rumbling noise sounded off overhead. Nightshade craned her neck towards the darkening sky. “A stormfront? This early? How odd.”

“You must be new to the swamplands.” Fortis smirked. “Don’t worry. We’ll cut through this inclement weather in a heartbeat. It’s the rumbling of the Front that you’d best get prepared for.”

“I’ve been there once before, Prime Enforcer,” Nightshade said with a shudder. “And I never intended to return until I knew that I would be an instrument for peace.”

“When all of this is over and done, Seclorum and I will owe everything to you. So will the rest of the Confederacy, for that matter.”

“Your confidence is something sweet. I haven’t tasted of it in a long time.” Nightshade gestured towards the book in her legged grasp. “Would I be allowed to keep watch over this? Bad things have been proven to happen to most everypony involved when I’ve been separated from it.”

“By all means.” Fortis nodded as Nightshade took towards the nearest stairwell. “Keep it with you at all times. I trust that you of all ponies know how to handle it.”

“Still…” Nightshade’s voice flew back at him. “Some security would be essential. I’ve been attacked by far too many harlequin miscreants as of late to feel entirely safe no matter where I am.”

“I’ll be sure that you’re well protected, Madame.” Fortis turned and called towards the nearest officer. “Straker.”

Straker trotted up, bowing swiftly. “Sir, yes, sir?”

“I want a security detachment to watch over the Madame’s quarters for the duration of this trip. Double the normal quota. And keep a pair of escorts with her at all times.”

“I’ll see to it, sir.”

“And be sure to check up on your subordinates, Enforcers Basso and Zetta. I charged them with looking after the Xonan foal who arrived with Nightshade.”

Straker blinked. He slowly tilted his head up. “Did I hear you say… a Xonan, child, sir?”

“Yes, Lieutenant.” Fortis narrowed his eyes on the stallion. “Is there a problem with that?”

Straker was silent for a few seconds too long. He was aware of it, and so he stood up with a clearing of his throat. “No, sir. Not at all. I am simply… intrigued that Madame Nightshade had a Xonan child in her custody.”

“Just make sure that you don’t let that intrigue turn into rumor,” Fortis said in a firm tone. “You’re an officer and a professional, Straker. See to it that your company treats the filly with attention and respect, like any other citizen of our land. You’re dismissed.”

“Aye, sir.” Lieutenant Straker backtrotted while Fortis approached the far end of the ship with other officers. The stallion shifted a bit where he stood, then cast a curious glance towards the darkening clouds overhead. His brow furrowed, and he almost looked ready to speak a thought out loud. After a few seconds, he shrugged it off, then trotted briskly down a nearby stairwell.


Half an hour later, a bulbous cloud of dark gray mists had clouded overhead, casting a deep, deep shadow over the landscape and the hull of the Lightning Bearer in turn. As swiftly as the vessel sped towards the east, the thunderstorm only intensified, growing louder and louder with each salvo of thunder.

Up above, peaking through a crack in the boiling wisps, Roarke hovered with Zaid in her grasp. She gazed down at the hulking vessel below. Zaid, in the meantime, had his eyes elsewhere.

“Wheww-weee!” He whistled, then smiled. “It’s like the sky’s having a tumor all around us and we’re a pair of scalpels!”

“You make analogies like you piss,” Roarke groaned. “It’s all over the place.”

“Oh, I’m sobering up now. Believe you me!” Zaid let out a girlish shriek as a patch of clouds lit up beneath him. “Uhm… what are the odds that one of these bolts might hit us?”

“Pretty slim, I’d say.”

“How are you so sure?”

“Because this is hardly a natural formation.” Roarke motioned her head towards the south. “Or have you not been paying attention?”

Zaid glanced over in time to see a blue shape flying swiftly towards them, pushing a dense gray clump of mist. Rainbow Dash soared in like a wrecking ball, slapping the extra patch of thunderstorming clouds into place. In answer, the brimming bed beneath them all fluctuated with bright lightening. Zaid jumped again, meanwhile Roarke merely droned:

“You think that’s enough thunderclapping?” Her voice rang from beneath her helmet. “They’re going to realize something is up by now.”

“I don’t think so!” Rainbow Dash hovered, panting. “I don’t think these dudes know what to do with stuff that their cannonballs can’t hit!”

“Meaning…”

“All they know is that a thunderstorm’s brewing above them! They can’t outfly it, and they don’t want to be stuck in it. Sooooo…” Rainbow twirled about with a flicker of her ruby pendant. She rubbed her hooves together and smiled devilishly. “If I know anything about airship pilots, they’re gonna be doing it anytime now.”

“Doing what?” Zaid blinked. “Joining the Mile High Clop?”

“Wait for it… wait for itttt…”

Almost as if on cue, the ballasts of the massive ship shifted, and the entire body of the Lightning Bearer began rising.

“Yes!” Rainbow pointed while smiling boastfully at Roarke. “Check it!”

“They’re ascending so that they can fly above the clouds,” Roarke said.

“And when they pierced through the lightning storm I just made--”

“--we’ll have ample cover to sneak aboard the top deck, undetected.”

“Bingo!” Rainbow Dash struck a victorious pose. “Now, who said I was stupid?”

“I never said you were stupid!” Zaid gasped.

Rainbow frowned. “I wasn’t talking to you, stupid.”

“Hey, stupid,” Roarke droned, pointing at the approaching hull. “Perhaps now would be a good time to put all your hard work to use.”

“Okay. After me now.” Rainbow Dash held her breath and tilted her wings. “Three… two… one… dive!”

And they pierced the clouds just as the Lightning Bearer came up from the other side.

PreviousChapters Next