• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,818 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,818

PreviousChapters Next
The Breakfast, Part Three

“Look, okay, uhm…” Rainbow Dash fidgeted where she stood before the all-watching eyes, eyes, eyes. “I’m not exactly some inspirational pegasus. Nor am I Luna’s gift to ponydom come down to bless you guys with hearty words of wisdom or whatjazz.”

A few ponies chuckled. Eagle Eye grinned wide. Bellesmith and Pilate leaned towards each other over Kera, smiling.

Rainbow Dash saw their faces. She took a deep breath, wings twitching.

“Lemme just say that you dudes and dudettes have given us the nicest, warmest, awesomest reception we ever could have asked for. Seriously, when we first rolled into this town? All we wanted was to see what was happening and ask if some ponies wanted to spare a few resources for trade. And, like, here I am stuffing my own face with your super rad breakfast feast, and… I-I really don’t know what to say.”

More chuckles. A few ponies clapped their hooves.

All was silent by the time Rainbow’s voice picked up again.

“We’ve been through a lot. And we’ve… uh… even lost those who were close to us.” She bit her lip, then glanced Floydien’s way.

The elk said nothing, instead staring into the wooden finish of his side of the table.

Rainbow Dash went on. “But so many more of us would be goners if it weren’t for how well we agreed to work together as a team. And, when you think about it, it’s really not that hard to do. Ponies are just made to… to get along, y’know? You wouldn’t think it just from looking the world. Or, at least… most of the world.”

She rubbed the back of her head with a shuddering sigh.

“I’ve traveled far longer and farther than the rest of the ponies at this table--including the ones whom I’m happy to call friends. And in all the stuff that I’ve seen, maybe only two or three places were willing to extend a happy hoof to greet me. And this is one of them. All the rest?” She gulped. “All the other kingdoms and provinces and wastelands n’crap? They’re almost all full of danger and angry ponies and nasty stuff. And… y’know… that probably sounds really depressing and all, but I don’t think it spells a doomed world.”

Rainbow Dash stared at the warm, hearty hall as a whole.

“Something really great, something really snazzy and harmonious has been forgotten. The more I fly around, the more I realize that… like… I have this task--you see? I have this job to make sure that ponies remember what it means to be harmonious. We’re all born to gel with each other just right, y’know? But the world is so vast that many ponies don’t have it figured out. I mean, you guys do! Sure… but…”

A pause.

Rainbow breathed lightly and smiled with a nervous titter. “If I could make the entire world like this town--even the darkest ones--then I think all of my flier miles would be totally worth it.” She gulped. “And that’s why I’m gonna keep going, with friends or without, because I know there are ponies like you on this plane and the ones who aren’t like you deserve a taste, ya dig? So… thanks a lot for the pick-me-up.” She saluted while her wings flapped. “I’ll be sure to spread the love around… in a way that’s not as icky as that sounds.”

Voices chuckled, and that noise trickled into full-on applause. Propsy bounced in her chair, whistling. Ebon clapped loudly while Josho bore a mild smirk.

“Here here!” Collins stood up, raising to classes in the crooks of her hoof. “I propose a toast! To these adventurers and their future endeavors!”

The great hall echoed with resounding agreement.

“Here you go, Rainbow Dash!” Collins hoofed the pegasus a glass.

“Oh, uh… s-sure!” Rainbow Dash squinted at the smooth, brown quaff. “Just what is this, anyways?”

“Something we’ve been saving for a long time here in Archer Point!” Collins winked. “Only the finest apple cider in the valley.”

Rainbow winced as if a million chalk boards were being scratched all at once. “Oh, jeez. Uhm… thanks, but… I-I couldn’t. I mean, I won’t. I…”

“What’s wrong?” Collins blinked in confusion. “If that’s not to your liking, I could have a pony fetch you a glass of water for the toast--”

“It’s just that… I… erm…” Rainbow Dash’s lips trailed off. She blinked, then turned to gaze down the table.

Pilate and Belle sat, gazing up at her. Kera watched with glistening green eyes.

Slowly, softly, Rainbow exhaled, and she did so through a smile. “Yeah…” Her ears folded. “A toast with friends.” Her eyes turned glossy as she dipped her muzzle towards the glass. “I think I can do that now…”

Collins smiled and raised her glass. “To the Noble Jury!”

”To the Noble Jury!

Everypony lifted their glasses, then drank. Or at least that’s what it looked like.

Rainbow’s vision had gone blurry. So she fixed it in two ways. She clenched her eyes shut, and then she drank from pure ambrosia for the first time in over a year. Her taste buds were too busy singing for her next breath to be a sob.

PreviousChapters Next